Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

I missed something, what's all this about costumes? did they make cosplay costumes for their staff?

Bootcha hinted at a $100K budget for the Pax Australia 'skit' they did where the dread pirate Strangli is brought to justice by the Robert's boys and a couple of bikers.

Skepticism has been expressed as to this nosebleedingly high number given the quality of said cosplay and it's actual lifespan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWLVI_mnn2I&t=143s

Share and Enjoy.

Edit: Chris is the Tina Belcher of taut delivery.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't know why you're all ripping on this. It looks like a perfectly good implementation of mining, and it's pretty impressive for a small team that's only been working toward release for a couple of weeks. I mean, this is their third ever video- what did you expect them to show, a fully functioning economy? That sort of stuff takes time. Give them at least a half a year before you start making GBS threads on their ideas, drat.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

Turns out the flight model isn't broken after all. Chris was just building the next Tokyo Drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsC-HaSc1U

I can't get past the way Star Citizen spaceships look in the external camera - like they're being superimposed onto the scenery in the background and aren't actually part of the same rendering engine. There is absolutely no sense of weight at all.

2.34 in that video is a perfect example of what I mean.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Popete posted:

What's the point of hand mining rocks in a cave in a game were you can effectively mine entire asteroids in space? It makes no sense.

It makes at least some sense in NMS where you are a stranded solo survivor making their way thru the galaxy scraping together fuel but it also doesn't bill itself as a high fidelity space sim either.

It doesn't make sense, but I'm guessing Crobberts saw some NMS mining and suddenly cave mining with hand held lasers became the number one priority.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/death-stranding-tokyo-game-show-2019/2970-19622

CIG developers are currently getting very very drunk to remove the pain.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tippis posted:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/death-stranding-tokyo-game-show-2019/2970-19622

CIG developers are currently getting very very drunk to remove the pain.

Can't get to this at work. Please describe in great detail what is happening, and pantomime if necessary. I must have it all.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Popete posted:

What's the point of hand mining rocks in a cave in a game were you can effectively mine entire asteroids in space? It makes no sense.

It makes at least some sense in NMS where you are a stranded solo survivor making their way thru the galaxy scraping together fuel but it also doesn't bill itself as a high fidelity space sim either.

Because they have absolutely no other game play elements for this ill conceived, resource consuming folly. Other than LARP D&D adventures what other game play element would building random caves into empty planets offer? They have failed at everything else, so they decide to build a closed system where players are forced into a linear progression in whatever shitheel activities they manage to crap out.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Bootcha hinted at a $100K budget for the Pax Australia 'skit' they did where the dread pirate Strangli is brought to justice by the Robert's boys and a couple of bikers.

Skepticism has been expressed as to this nosebleedingly high number given the quality of said cosplay and it's actual lifespan.

Share and Enjoy.

This was cringe the first 243 times it was posted here in the last few days. Not watching this again for one second. Can we get some NEW poo poo to talk about? I know you are all a bunch of die hards and all, but.....drat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chaosapiant posted:

Can't get to this at work. Please describe in great detail what is happening, and pantomime if necessary. I must have it all.

You know how Chris has gotten the citizens all hot and bothered over fantasies of being able to [interaction] with [whatever] to do [whatever] with unprecedented detail through a senseless mess of incomprehensible systems? Turns out that, in making Death Stranding, Kojima decided to retain the do-whatever-to-whatever interaction systems championship belt… except it almost seems like it's neither senseless nor incomprehensible (aside from the usual Kojima-style obtuseness).

CIG obviously have to start over. SC development starts now. :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Imagine the most anal-retentive attention to detail but a) It's detail that matters gameplay-wise, and b) it is actually implemented

Like SC wants to boast about physicalized item inventories where you get to see every grenade and poo poo like that (and then introduces a magical commodity inventory) and here comes death stranding where not only you get to see every loving item you're carrying but you have to rearrange them, taking their weight and shape into account, so that your center of gravity is right. And then you hang boots from their cords on your backpack and I bet they modeled them so that the sway messes with you

Just imagine, soon Hideo loving Kojima will have managed to release a MGS, get fired/quit, and then release a new game in the time SC has been in development. Kojima, the guy famous for taking his time with small minutiae.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy lol, a bunch of freaking holograms salute your box-man when you leave the base. Roberts must be having an aneurysm. Poor developers will have to implement saluting holograms for the decks of the big ships now.

"Your packages will get damaged if you trip, be careful" :laffo::laffo::laffo:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I can't get past the way Star Citizen spaceships look in the external camera - like they're being superimposed onto the scenery in the background and aren't actually part of the same rendering engine. There is absolutely no sense of weight at all.

2.34 in that video is a perfect example of what I mean.

It's one of the biggest rotten cores in this project, and it amazes me that they continue to attempt to build around it. The fact that backers aren't screaming bloody murder over it is someone's PhD in mass psychogenic illness.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Just imagine, soon Hideo loving Kojima will have managed to release a MGS, get fired/quit, and then release a new game in the time SC has been in development. Kojima, the guy famous for taking his time with small minutiae.

Yeah, well has Kojima seen the "Admiral Bishop" speech? I believe you'll find that to be check and mate.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1174715111149199361

This is tied to Star Citizen for the following reasons:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tippis posted:

You know how Chris has gotten the citizens all hot and bothered over fantasies of being able to [interaction] with [whatever] to do [whatever] with unprecedented detail through a senseless mess of incomprehensible systems? Turns out that, in making Death Stranding, Kojima decided to retain the do-whatever-to-whatever interaction systems championship belt… except it almost seems like it's neither senseless nor incomprehensible (aside from the usual Kojima-style obtuseness).

CIG obviously have to start over. SC development starts now. :D

Hey, Kojima games are actually VERY focused. It's always just on very, very weird details.

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, well has Kojima seen the "Admiral Bishop" speech? I believe you'll find that to be check and mate.

Apparently the only direction Gary Oldman got for that is that the Admiral is really old, so he basically sounded like he's on his deathbed. It'll be hilarious if they chose not to redo that with a more appropriate take and he's forced to keep doing the character like that for the rest of the lines in the game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 19, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

Check and mate for Chris/CI, maybe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

Share and Enjoy.

This is so painful to watch. The way she's like "I'm repping a pirate, who's gonna play a pirate?" *

* You can't play a pirate

"I'm representing team OUT-LAWH" the "acting" is so extremely overdone and awkward. I've seen better skits at boy scouts camps. And Croberts' "MAVERICK" is eternally hilarious.

Did Roberts miss the memo? When I hear "Maverick" I'm not thinking about Top Gun anymore.

Also that costume is poo poo, especially if it cost what it did. There's some embezzling going on there for sure.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Holy lol, a bunch of freaking holograms salute your box-man when you leave the base. Roberts must be having an aneurysm. Poor developers will have to implement saluting holograms for the decks of the big ships now.

"Your packages will get damaged if you trip, be careful" :laffo::laffo::laffo:

During the playthrough, Sam went into a river to wade across as a short cut, it turns out that unsecured packages on your rig can be unbalanced and fall off/get caught by the water and get swept or float away. Detail with purpose, detail with consequence, detail as an actual working feature!

Crobblers must be livid. :D

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey, Kojima games are actually VERY focused. It's always just on very, very weird details.

Weird details and creepily over sexualized women.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Viscous Soda posted:

You'll regret this when you learn quiets secret!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zaphod42 posted:

This is so painful to watch. The way she's like "I'm repping a pirate, who's gonna play a pirate?" *

* You can't play a pirate

"I'm representing team OUT-LAWH" the "acting" is so extremely overdone and awkward. I've seen better skits at boy scouts camps. And Croberts' "MAVERICK" is eternally hilarious.

Did Roberts miss the memo? When I hear "Maverick" I'm not thinking about Top Gun anymore.

You’re supposed to think of wing commander. It was mark hamill’s callsign iirc. Chris Roberts fans don’t watch any other media or follow the news

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soricidus posted:

You’re supposed to think of wing commander. It was mark hamill’s callsign iirc. Chris Roberts fans don’t watch any other media or follow the news

There's 0 chance the original callsign wasn't a Top Gun knockoff though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Viscous Soda posted:

I was hopeful when I saw the female characters in Death Stranding didn't seem to be sexualized. But then I learned their names are "Fragile" and "Mama". I don't know what else really needs to be said.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

There's 0 chance the original callsign wasn't a Top Gun knockoff though.

Legend has it that he originally wanted to his handle to be "Goose", but his close proximity to Strangli meant not referencing long necks for fear of another 'incident'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I'm watching this because I didn't originally, and I'm like lmao @ everything

The FPS demo where they're all LARPing as soldiers is just too funny. "Lets not stand on ceremony, gentlemen! ON ME! Tight hallway, get in formation, HEADS ON A SWIVEL GUYS!"

Nobody playing videogames talks like that comeon.

But I especially died laughing when I looked down at the video title, "PAX Australia 2014" Hahahahaha of course, this is the illfonic demo from 5 loving years ago. All of this amounted to nothing.

5 loving years.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen is like a malignant tumor that attaches to and feeds from actual existing products and services. It's embarrassing as gently caress to have Star Citizen attempt to attach itself to your property. Poor Lego.

Veteran goons may recall this isn't the first time Star Citizen has come up in the context of Lego.

Back in 2014, someone uploaded a Lego Hornet to Lego's "get 10,000 pre-orders and we'll create a custom set" website. The project was in its glory days back then and it easily passed the 10k mark.

Lego, wisely, neither accepted nor denied the project but backburnered it, keeping it on their list of active projects and saying they'd make a final decision later. They were clearly being cagey and waiting to see how the game turned out. Was this something they wanted their brand associated with?

Lego aren't dumb. They kicked the Hornet into the next quarter at each review meeting for a year or more, quietly watching CIG as they crashed and burned and waiting for the cult to quiet down. The Hornet was finally quietly pulled around the time of the infamous 2016 Citcon.

Lego only tolerate wheels coming off when they want them to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lego was smart, not committing to a project without seeing an actual product. That said, I'd love to see a Lego set of the the Elite flyable ships. I'd buy every single one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

kilus aof posted:

A combination of what Chris Roberts was saying day one, DREAMS.TXT and you right now literally thinking more about the implementation and implication of this system than CIG ever has.

The Roman system is designed for slaves and non-romans.

In Star Citizen, you play as a person who was born to parents born in the UEE, so the Roman system doesn't apply and is stupid.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Roman system is designed for slaves and non-romans.

In Star Citizen, you play as a person who was born to parents born in the UEE, so the Roman system doesn't apply and is stupid.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Imagine the most anal-retentive attention to detail but a) It's detail that matters gameplay-wise, and b) it is actually implemented

Like SC wants to boast about physicalized item inventories where you get to see every grenade and poo poo like that (and then introduces a magical commodity inventory) and here comes death stranding where not only you get to see every loving item you're carrying but you have to rearrange them, taking their weight and shape into account, so that your center of gravity is right. And then you hang boots from their cords on your backpack and I bet they modeled them so that the sway messes with you

Yes, imagine that, but when it comes down to actually implementing it, they make it like every other game since the dawn of time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sabreseven posted:

Legend has it that he originally wanted to his handle to be "Goose", but his close proximity to Strangli meant not referencing long necks for fear of another 'incident'.

Honk! Honk!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

So has there been any leaks from discovery yet?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gamesguy posted:

So has there been any leaks from discovery yet?

Yes.

Star Citizen is, in fact, very good.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Star Citizen Fanatics 2018: "Elite Dangerous is a poo poo game, look at all their ships, they are flying wedges and pancakes, or giant bricks"

Star Citizen 2019: "We're out of ideas for ships, here are a bunch of flying wedges and pancakes!"

Star Citizen Fanatics 2019: "These are the most amazing ships every designed, you are a messiah to gaming Chris Roberts! Only you could make this dream a reality!"

E: Also , in before they just archer the poo poo out of the Krait for this new concept.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gotta say, the latest Miles Eckhart refactor is looking good

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They will just make the krait, except right side up. Unlike ED which got it wrong.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Elite: was like 8.99 yesterday on steam, so you dont need like 1k to drive stupid yachts around.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

quantum travel times: immersion vs. game time. suggestion for a solution.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yes MMOs and their notorious instant gratification game play loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

video link