Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The people that played Ghidorah played the monsters in Rampage as well.

Ghidorah played himself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I did think it unfair that the middle head got paid more though.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Davros1 posted:

I did think it unfair that the middle head got paid more though.

The other heads had a lot of TV experience but not nearly as much as the middle head. It's just the way the industry is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He lost one of his heads back in the day so they got someone else to fill it in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The other heads had a lot of TV experience but not nearly as much as the middle head. It's just the way the industry is.

Thankfully the Oscar buzz surrounding the left head will make up for it. His death scene (in Mexico) was poignant.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just received the 2nd and 3rd issues of the RC 1954 Godzilla magazines.

RC Godzilla build issues 2 and 3 by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

The parts in these two issues are (along with small internal frame and mechanism parts):

One of the Feet:

God drat this thing is going to be huge once built.

And the lower jaw/tongue

Also here are photos of the items that will be in this set that allows you to make a diorama of the famous publicity photo. Apparently some of these are among the more expensive issues.

Also apparently you can send away for this giant backdrop so you can make another scene from the film.

It's going to be a looooong 100 weeks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I watched and liked the new Godzilla movie a lot. It did the striking shots of monsters thing to the point of it being masturbatory and the whale song box.plot device wasn't very good but it was fine enough to push monsters into a fight with one another. It was better than Godzilla '16 on the regular monster fighting/pics of monsters front but way weaker on everything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope King Ghidorah's heads having distinct personalities becomes more of a thing, because it's fun and comedy gold.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's going to be a looooong 100 weeks.

How does the subscription work? (or more accurately how do I subscribe to this?) I've been having trouble finding somewhere to actually order.

e: ah, finally found monstersinmotion

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 20, 2019

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope King Ghidorah's heads having distinct personalities becomes more of a thing, because it's fun and comedy gold.

What personality was the right head supposed to have? The middle and left ones were the only ones really communicated as the boss and the goof.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shiroc posted:

What personality was the right head supposed to have? The middle and left ones were the only ones really communicated as the boss and the goof.

The exasperated one; "Not this poo poo again," as the other two heads go at it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The right head's the cunning and calculating one, it's the one that noms a power substation to draw from the power grid and later bites Godzilla to electrocute him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's the standard high school (anime) trio trope of bossy/stupid/disaffected

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sLA5wfDI

Had to post this in the Alien thread, it's relevant here as well

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Peacoffee posted:

How does the subscription work? (or more accurately how do I subscribe to this?) I've been having trouble finding somewhere to actually order.

e: ah, finally found monstersinmotion

I actually buy using Amazon Japan. I made an account on there and linked my Prime to it. I'm actually just manually ordering them, and keeping a constant eye out to see if the next few issues come up for pre-order. They seem to come up 2 issues at a time. Search for this ゴジラをつくる 4号 and just change the number for the issue you are looking for. I've got up to number 7 pre-ordered at this point.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I actually buy using Amazon Japan. I made an account on there and linked my Prime to it. I'm actually just manually ordering them, and keeping a constant eye out to see if the next few issues come up for pre-order. They seem to come up 2 issues at a time. Search for this ゴジラをつくる 4号 and just change the number for the issue you are looking for. I've got up to number 7 pre-ordered at this point.

this is awesome info, thank you very much!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzUsu23O5EE

The things people do with modeling programs never ceases to amaze me

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

A hill I would die on: Baragon attacked Paris in Destroy All Monsters, not Gorosaurus.

Baragon had a terminal illness during filming so Gorosaurus filled in to portray him, this is different from replacing the character in the film. That means, canonically speaking, the humans were correct to identify the burrower as Baragon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

A hill I would die on: Baragon attacked Paris in Destroy All Monsters, not Gorosaurus.

Baragon had a terminal illness during filming so Gorosaurus filled in to portray him, this is different from replacing the character in the film. That means, canonically speaking, the humans were correct to identify the burrower as Baragon.

No, no

Baragon is the one who did the burrowing, Gorosaurus was just along for the ride with his little buddy

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Burkion posted:

No, no

Baragon is the one who did the burrowing, Gorosaurus was just along for the ride with his little buddy

I'm ok with this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzUsu23O5EE

The things people do with modeling programs never ceases to amaze me

An awesome as hell video in the recommendations from that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RXf-KMY4w

If it doesn't seem that impressive, put on your headphones with bass boost and turn it up until you can barely handle the volume of the narrator.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

McSpanky posted:

If it doesn't seem that impressive, put on your headphones with bass boost and turn it up until you can barely handle the volume of the narrator.

Yeah, Dangerville has some fun Godzilla vids.

And thanks for reminding me of that one, I had not watched it yet.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I found that genuinely unsettling. Good stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Reminds me of Bradbury's The Fog Horn and how it was adapted to The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

I'm annoyed with how often filmmakers just rip off the xenomorph for their monsters. Yes, any and every giant animal would sound like high-pitched wailing, good job! The last time I remember being really annoyed with it was the last Resident Evil movie, which had terrible sound work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Reminds me of Bradbury's The Fog Horn and how it was adapted to The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

I'm annoyed with how often filmmakers just rip off the xenomorph for their monsters. Yes, any and every giant animal would sound like high-pitched wailing, good job! The last time I remember being really annoyed with it was the last Resident Evil movie, which had terrible sound work.

There's really a whole thing with sci-fi monsters being straight rips of the the Xenomorphs. Metroid even has a twofer, with the titular creatures being analogues for them with Facehugger-esque default forms, while Ridley is also more or less a xenomorph mixed with a dragon, in space. (and that name is not a coincidence)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I found that genuinely unsettling. Good stuff.

It would obviously never work in a film where human characters tend to be near / around kaiju but god drat how badass would it be for Godzilla to literally shatter windows, rock buildings, and kill people caught nearby every time he roared. It would be an even further take of presenting him as a force of nature like the scene where he causes a tsunami just by arriving to a shore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

That's an interesting story that I may bring up in the "adaptation" thread- the movie wasn't planned as an adaptation, but Bradbury got wind of the production (maybe through Harryhausen who was his friend), threatened to sue over a similarity, and the producers decided to make it easy on themselves by just buying the rights to his story and billing it as an adaptation, which was also beneficial because Bradbury was starting to get known at the time.

This is also weirdly enough the only time Bradbury and Harryhausen "worked on" the same project despite being lifelong buddies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween Jack posted:

I legit can’t help it to a point where it may be a sickness.

Every time I try creating I new monster it comes out as a pointy headed toothy beast.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I legit can’t help it to a point where it may be a sickness.

Every time I try creating I new monster it comes out as a pointy headed toothy beast.

Freud

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Why do they feel the need to show off and intimidate humans? To me, it made them look either needlessly cruel or frightened of humans. Which is an interesting direction to take the titans in, it almost reminded me of GINO.

And I would disagree about Godzilla not acting negatively - if this isn't malevolence, it's the next closest thing.

A couple of pages back but I love this scene and I don't get this vibe from it all. I read somewhere that it's Ahab and the Whale looking at each other in the eyes and coming to an understanding, and I agree. The score (a soft reprise from Godzilla vs. Destroyah) and the way G's eyes move as well as Chandler's humbled expression don't communicate Godzilla intimidating them for the hell of it to me, but a more spiritual idea of common ground being found across the most vast of divides. I love it.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah, Dangerville has some fun Godzilla vids.

And thanks for reminding me of that one, I had not watched it yet.

Gotta disagree. Dangerville is terrible! The reason being for me is this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwM8NQnC48 where he inexplicably claims that Godzilla films from the fifties, sixties, and seventies were using CGI because he assumes that any post-production effect must be CGI. This is something that he could have found out with the bare minimum of research (and anyone with even the most basic understanding of film history would have known already), and on that basis, and the fact loads of comments have informed him of his massive mistake and he hasn't deleted the video out of shame, I can only assume a lot of his videos are this shoddily researched and put together.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Karloff posted:

Gotta disagree. Dangerville is terrible! The reason being for me is this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwM8NQnC48 where he inexplicably claims that Godzilla films from the fifties, sixties, and seventies were using CGI because he assumes that any post-production effect must be CGI. This is something that he could have found out with the bare minimum of research (and anyone with even the most basic understanding of film history would have known already), and on that basis, and the fact loads of comments have informed him of his massive mistake and he hasn't deleted the video out of shame, I can only assume a lot of his videos are this shoddily researched and put together.
Nobody could be this stupid

*watches snippet*

This man literally does not know what CGI stands for

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Haha I thought it would be like, a random offhand comment he makes in a video on another subject, but he uses "CGI" incorrectly like 50 times in a 6 minute video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg-jDhwLH10

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
What is a good order to to show Godzilla films to someone who has never seen a Godzilla film before? My wife had not see any so we watched Godzilla vs Megalon, which I think is a fine point to start, but where do I go from here?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SimonCat posted:

What is a good order to to show Godzilla films to someone who has never seen a Godzilla film before? My wife had not see any so we watched Godzilla vs Megalon, which I think is a fine point to start, but where do I go from here?

You start with the 1954 movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Always this

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Timby posted:

While that's a classic, it's a little slow for more modern audiences. I think I'll go with the Raymond Burr version.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nahh, do the original Gojira. It's still chilling to this day.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SimonCat posted:

While that's a classic, it's a little slow for more modern audiences. I think I'll go with the Raymond Burr version.

Ya hate to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Seriously though, she likes cute thing so I'm going to go with Son of Godzilla next.