Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The fact that Belzenlok isn’t banned in Momir is proof of their utter contempt for anyone who tries to enjoy themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You also have to spend funbux to enter, so it's extra douchey of them to include cards that read "lol you lose".

But gambling is fun, right? I'm sure someone at the office made a graph that concluded having Belzenlok in the format makes it more fun.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

the answer is don't play momir

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wafflecopper posted:

the answer is don't play momir

This. We need more singleton, paupers, and counters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Colorless equipment was a mistake.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The fact that you can regularly lose instantly for no reason is the entire point of momir.

Y’all are entering a contest where two people stand until one of them is kicked square in the dick and are complaining about how you got kicked in the dick

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

The fact that you can regularly lose instantly for no reason is the entire point of momir.

Y’all are entering a contest where two people stand until one of them is kicked square in the dick and are complaining about how you got kicked in the dick

Yeah but losing instantly because the game dropkicks you in the nuts for spending 6 mana vs your opponent getting a cool dude are two very different things.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It’s really funny and that’s all that matters

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They should add Phage to the 7 slot

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fatherboxx posted:

They should add Phage to the 7 slot

and Leveler to 5

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

A paid momir event is for insane people only, I wish they had a fun event instead.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I haven't lost any gold on playing arena momir because the people playing it apparently don't do any combat math or are really bad at it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dracula Factory posted:

A paid momir event is for insane people only, I wish they had a fun event instead.

To me the cost doesn't seem an issue. The worst case is that you pay 200 gold and receive two uncommons, which isn't too bad. And likely you'll get better than that.

The problem is the event is bad. It's funny for like a game and half, then it's just dumb. It really doesn't help that half the creature effects do nothing because they are all tokens and the deck is all lands, so there is never anything in the graveyard, nothing can be returned to hand, nothing can be searched for, etc. It's just an unending pile of misfires.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So I've been playing this for Standard 2020 in addition to a Rakdos Aristocrats deck. It's been a good time, though if you want your games to be super snappy and quick it's not for you. Your opponents won't scoop once you stabilize and turn the game around because they won't realize what's happening at first. And it doesn't kill quickly.

Still, it's a really fun deck to pilot.
code:

//Creatures (25):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
3 Tithe Taker
3 Orzhov Enforcer
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Seraph of the Scales
4 Teysa Karlov
2 Cruel Celebrant
2 Corpse Knight

//Planeswalkers (4):
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (8):
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Prison Realm
2 Moldervine Reclamation

//Lands (23):
4 Plains
4 Swamp
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
4 Godless Shrine

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/UntappedGG/status/1174729600376692736

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I really loving do not like the Cavalcade deck. tia

edit: and third game in a row with cav on t2

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 19, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People played the paid MTGO Momir event for two reasons:

It had like every creature in the game so you get to play with really random stuff like

Second it cost you 2 tickets (2bux) to play a constructed game or 10 (10bux) to play a 5 game league which is the only way to get rewards for winning. Meanwhile Momir is positive EV so you just gained fake money by playing it a ton. Which you can then proceed to lose 10 bux at a time going 0-5 in a constructed league.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok since I think we're pretty much waiting for dump day tomorrow I think I can officially say: gently caress all the lovely equipment in this set and in this standard.
Syr Gwyn really needed to come out when Dominaria was legal.
And then you'd be complaining she's ridiculously overcosted for her abilities. She'd be good as a 4/4 for 1RWB, but as is, she's a six mana commander for a low to the ground voltron tribal deck and that's just innately clunky.

We don't even know how we're getting those cards so it's possibly she'll just never be crafted by anyone, the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just had a win where opp tried playing Chandra, Awakened Inferno and using the -3. Too bad I was playing Sultai Yarok :getin:

After they hit the -3 they moused over my elemental land, then over their own Chandra, then over my Nissa, and then scooped

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

To me the cost doesn't seem an issue. The worst case is that you pay 200 gold and receive two uncommons, which isn't too bad. And likely you'll get better than that.

The worst case scenario is it’s two uncommons you already owned and you paid 200 gold for 0.67% of vault progress

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

vegetables posted:

The worst case scenario is it’s two uncommons you already owned and you paid 200 gold for 0.67% of vault progress

Rich player problems.

Why don't you climb up your tower with Epic Chandra Cat and rub some gems together so us regular folk can enjoy new cards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not certain if this is the last rare of the set but it would be a good one to end on

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not certain if this is the last rare of the set but it would be a good one to end on

Tocatli Honor Guard with upside but dies to Shock and Disfigure. Every standard needs a card like this, seems OK.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

vegetables posted:

I'd take vault progress over random cards.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Kind of funny seeing so many streamers doing 2020 XP catch up streams when their job involves playing more hours of magic per day than can be reasonably expected from a person and they still didn't cap it out

unless the next mastery pass is bananas value I'm just gonna sit that out

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how did they not cap it out if they were playing every day

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

how did they not cap it out if they were playing every day

they were not playing on their own accounts every day if they were going to the streamer events like MC3 and whatever

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Probably setting up recording schedules that didn't maximize XP too

I'm still going to have to grind a little bit, I feel like it needed to be about 33% easier/faster to be worth the ticket price

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You don't have to get anywhere near the cap for it to literally be worth the ticket price.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Adder Moray posted:

So I've been playing this for Standard 2020 in addition to a Rakdos Aristocrats deck. It's been a good time, though if you want your games to be super snappy and quick it's not for you. Your opponents won't scoop once you stabilize and turn the game around because they won't realize what's happening at first. And it doesn't kill quickly.

Still, it's a really fun deck to pilot.
code:
//Creatures (25):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
3 Tithe Taker
3 Orzhov Enforcer
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Seraph of the Scales
4 Teysa Karlov
2 Cruel Celebrant
2 Corpse Knight

//Planeswalkers (4):
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (8):
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Prison Realm
2 Moldervine Reclamation

//Lands (23):
4 Plains
4 Swamp
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
4 Godless Shrine

Pretty sure I ran into someone with this game plan

unfortunately for them I got the dread presence engine rolling

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're probably just sick of standard and enjoying the chance to play a format that isn't solved and will only exist for a couple of weeks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A bunch of streamers couldn't play during the whole week of the MC3 and I can think of a few that had Life Getting In The Way of their treadmill card game gains for another week or two.

At least these last few days of the event are less insufferable. If it works for them, that's good.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
The new untapped.gg is neat, seeing stats is always fun and it's always been the best overlay.

Sadly my winrate sucks though, which I don't need to see.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I've played against esper four times in a row and I'm kinda sick of getting my board wiped constantly

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TheMaestroso posted:

I've played against esper four times in a row and I'm kinda sick of getting my board wiped constantly

The trick to beating Esper is to not have a board.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm gonna miss dunking on Esper Control with the People's Champion, Simic Nexus

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what the gently caress

have i been misunderstanding the "protection from" mechanic this entire time or is arena loving with me

it should prevent all damage from the protected source color. in this situation a green creature with trample is blocked by a black creature with protection from green with toughness that would otherwise allow trample damage through. since all damage is prevented, why does any damage trample through?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty sure I ran into someone with this game plan

unfortunately for them I got the dread presence engine rolling
Oh? Interesting. Haven't run into any Dread Presence decks myself. Now I'm curious how mine stacks up against it on average.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ex post facho posted:

have i been misunderstanding the "protection from" mechanic this entire time or is arena loving with me
Works just like indestructible.

Damage is assigned to toughness then tramples over. Works this way because there used to be tons of protection and trample was overpriced back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ex post facho posted:

what the gently caress

it should prevent all damage from the protected source color. in this situation a green creature with trample is blocked by a black creature with protection from green with toughness that would otherwise allow trample damage through. since all damage is prevented, why does any damage trample through?

Trample doesn't proc based on damage dealt, it procs on damage assigned. The controller assigns lethal damage to the blocker and can choose to assign the rest to you. Whether or not your creature takes the damage is irrelevant, as it happens after damage is assigned.