Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I'm a novice so some one please correct me if i am wrong. but I've encountered something like this before.

Its possible that your windows install is using a Master boot record and is not GPT formatted. Clover will only look at the EFI parts of the hard drives to see if there is something bootable.

You can convert a Masterboot record windows install to GPT with a special tool. There's a chance it might not work so people recommend that you back up important things first but i've done this on a few systems with no issues.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/mbr2gpt.html

I believe once your windows has an EFI on it, clover will see it automatically and display a little windows boot hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

~Coxy posted:

Surely his Win10 is already going to be installed with an EFI bootloader.

Clover chains fine into Windows for me.

Windows can be weird about this. I had a Windows 10 install that I had to ditch and specifically re-install with EFI because it had done the non-EFI install. I still have no idea why. It was done on a fully compatible EFI motherboard.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I’m thinking about finally upgrading my GPU but at the same time getting one that makes Catalina and Mojave a possibility. Is there anything I should be aware of? I already have the lilu and WhateverGreen kext, but are there things I should be turning off or disabling if I have an Nvidia GPU?

And then there’s the actual goal - updating. Is that as simple as just doing it?

For reference, I’m going from a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and was looking at a RX 590.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time machine before update. Keep a known good boot stick on standby.

Don't have more than one graphics card, disable iGPU. Nvidia won't be accelerated obviously. RX 590 is OOTB, swap before update.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So I got mojave working on a fresh setup for my wife. Was real excited to see OSX running on a box full of rgb puke that she requested, however Corsair's LL120 fans don't produce light. They don't have official iCUE support for OSX. I am scouring the internet for a solution before returning the fans. Anyone have any success with them?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So i ended up putting the hackintosh right up against another windows machine I have, plugged the lighting node pro into the USB socket and sata power on the windows machine in some unholy RGB transfusion, ran lightning node pro and set the lighting effect I wanted, updated the firmware, and now the fans run the last setting used while booted to osx. Without having to dual boot windows.

So that’s a thing I did.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Behold, potential copyright infringement

https://imgur.com/gallery/pBUKpD2

[It’s my wife’s I just got done building]

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 19, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Iron Mac

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So the web driver is never coming right?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So the web driver is never coming right?

It would appear so. Maybe they'll have one for Catalina because Apple will finally be selling a computer you can stick a video card in again this fall

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like we're all hoping that the new driver model in System 10.15 will allow Nvidia to release their own drivers from here on out.
(And they're waiting for this so they don't sink engineering effort into the deprecated driver system?)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

I feel like we're all hoping that the new driver model in System 10.15 will allow Nvidia to release their own drivers from here on out.
(And they're waiting for this so they don't sink engineering effort into the deprecated driver system?)

I watched the WWDC session video on this and the new userspace driver model will not cover GPU drivers at all in Catalina. They're starting out with relatively simple drivers: USB devices, network interface cards, and serial port drivers IIRC.

Being Apple, they did not announce any schedule for extending the new driver model to GPU drivers, or whether that will happen at all. It's a safe bet that if they do have such plans, they won't be realized sooner than 10.16.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I hope you're not right, but you probably are so at least we should be getting Navi drivers soon and we can just get 5700XT instead.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
How are AMD CPUs working these days?

I've just been forced to replace my i7-5820k gaming monster with a Ryzen 5 3600X-based midrange gaming rig. Mobo is Gigabyte, GPU's a RX 580. How hosed would I be if I decided I wanted to dual-boot 10 and whatever the current MacOS build is on this hardware?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Annorax posted:

How are AMD CPUs working these days?

I've just been forced to replace my i7-5820k gaming monster with a Ryzen 5 3600X-based midrange gaming rig. Mobo is Gigabyte, GPU's a RX 580. How hosed would I be if I decided I wanted to dual-boot 10 and whatever the current MacOS build is on this hardware?

Best option is to throw a second video card in your system and use a VM with GPU passthrough. That’s what I do and everything works perfectly. I even passthrough a Broadcom wireless card so handoff and WiFi work as well.

The entire setup from beginning to end was about an hour and a half. I hit about 2% slower than bare metal speeds.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Best option is to throw a second video card in your system and use a VM with GPU passthrough. That’s what I do and everything works perfectly. I even passthrough a Broadcom wireless card so handoff and WiFi work as well.

The entire setup from beginning to end was about an hour and a half. I hit about 2% slower than bare metal speeds.
I chalk up any performance difference to my second VGA card running through a 4X PCI-E link. But in the real world, there’s no difference since it’s a 1050 Ti. It’s pretty great.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any way to deal with the USB port limit other than through a custom SSDT? Having to follow 25 pages of poorly written instructions just to get my wifi working is the stage at which I’m considering dropping the hackintosh thing altogether. And I guess you’re not supposed to use USBInjectAll for this, because reasons?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

ratbert90 posted:

I cannot get Bluetooth to work, how did you do that? Everything else works, but Bluetooth says not available. Wifi works fine, as it's on PCIe bus. I've tried re-directing USB (Apple Bluetooth thing) and tried to connect the Bluetooth USB wire on a pass-through USB card (Renesas something or other, not sure if it works at all)

E: Genuine Apple Broadcom Wifi + BT card. BT is needed for handoff.

E: It was the Renesas card! Passing thru a Asmedia card and bluetooth Just Works.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 5, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is there any way to deal with the USB port limit other than through a custom SSDT? Having to follow 25 pages of poorly written instructions just to get my wifi working is the stage at which I’m considering dropping the hackintosh thing altogether. And I guess you’re not supposed to use USBInjectAll for this, because reasons?

My brain melted when I started reading about how to set up usb ports properly. Extremely loving frustrating

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think it would be less frustrating if it were explained in a way that actually made sense. It’s amazing how there’s both so much documentation and also how they are the most poorly written docs I’ve ever seen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also doesn't help that starting with El Capitan, Apple forgot how to write a proper USB stack. Starting with somewhere in 10.11.2 or so it became an absolute nightmare that only got a bandaid fix by Sierra and never recovered.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kivi posted:

I cannot get Bluetooth to work, how did you do that? Everything else works, but Bluetooth says not available. Wifi works fine, as it's on PCIe bus. I've tried re-directing USB (Apple Bluetooth thing) and tried to connect the Bluetooth USB wire on a pass-through USB card (Renesas something or other, not sure if it works at all)

E: Genuine Apple Broadcom Wifi + BT card. BT is needed for handoff.

E: It was the Renesas card! Passing thru a Asmedia card and bluetooth Just Works.

Welcome to the best hackintosh experience available. Enjoy your unlimited upgrades and easy backups!

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I followed this guide. I got to skip renaming the controller so knocked it out pretty quick.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 7, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

Welsper posted:

I followed this guide. I got to skip renaming the controller so knocked it out pretty quick.

Thanks for linking that, I booted my hack laptop today and everything works but the usb ports (even sleep)

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

me, a literal buffoon posted:

Just did an clean install of installed Mojave on my system: GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 / 4690K / ASUS Dual RX580. Previously I was running El Capitan.

It seems like every time I install a new version it somehow gets a little easier. I used UniBeast for the install, and the High Sierra MultiBeast for post install, using it only to install: Clover, FakeSMC and AtherosE2200 kexts, and to set the system definition to iMac14,2.

I didn't have any audio at this point since I read not to use the High Sierra MultiBeast for installing audio drivers on Mojave. Instead of patching anything, I installed Lilu and AppleALC kexts, and all my ins and outs showed up after a reboot. For some reason, MultiBeast had still inserted 3 AppleHDA entries in my Clover config.plist under KextsToPatch, even though I never set it to install audio drivers or patches. I removed these entries when I installed the above kexts.

My only other issue turned out to be a common one, which is that QuickLook and Preview were borked. They would not open image files, or at least not jpegs - they'd still open PDFs. This was fixed by enabling the previously disabled IGPU, and installing WhateverGreen (which requires Lilu). Mojave also detected and used my ultrawide monitor's native resolution from the start, which is an improvement over El Capitan.

Things I don't use and can't comment on that others may find important: sleep, HDMI audio, iMessage, wifi, an Nvidia card. The only thing I'll probably tinker with now is power management.
I just installed whatever this latest 10.14.6 supplemental update is and thought I'd take a minute and post. A few weeks back I did a full reinstall of Mojave on my machine, this time following the Vanilla guide here:
https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/

I feel much better about my install now, and I wish I'd listened to everydamnbody sooner. Keeping everything on the UEFI partition takes a few more steps, but it's awesome to be more than fairly confident that my install will not break during an update, and also just really demystifying the config.plist after all this time.

I have some Cambridge Soundworks Creative speakers with a digital coax input, which I've always preferred, and while my previous board had a coax out, this one doesn't. Last year I bought a bracket / addon card to connect to the mobo header, and that worked in Windows but of course not OS X. I would say using the guide above helped me finally figure out how to get it working, which just seemed too confusing before. I had to install xcode, mirror the AppleALC kext repository, edit a couple files and recompile for my chipset, and now it works as the Digital Out in my Sound preferences.

I'll finish and say that if MultiBeast etc gets you up and running, and your system works well enough for you, fine. But yeah, I do get it now, and shake my head at that guy quoted above.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I originally had my setup done with multibeast but I’ve slowly been moving everything out into the EFI partition manually. It’s true that it becomes a lot easier when you do it yourself since you know everything that is going on. Remembering what I’ve done when it comes time to gently caress with it again will be another matter.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Welsper posted:

Thanks, this one I might actually be able to follow...on the other hand, the web drivers are nowhere in sight, so I'm not sure it's worth it anyway. :sigh:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Thanks, this one I might actually be able to follow...on the other hand, the web drivers are nowhere in sight, so I'm not sure it's worth it anyway. :sigh:

Get hackintool instead, it comes with built in instructions and generates a kext to inject when done. Just hit the info button in the usb section of the app

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 28, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

Get hackintool instead, it comes with built in instructions and generates a kext to inject when done. Just hit the info button in the usb section of the app

quote:

The selected content is currently unavailable

The content you selected can’t be displayed at this time. Try again later.

You may be experiencing one of the following issues:

The server may be unreachable.

Your school, business, or Internet service provider (ISP) may be experiencing an outage.

The content may not exist.
:shrug: maybe it's something I have set in Little Snitch?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

utonium posted:

I feel much better about my install now, and I wish I'd listened to everydamnbody sooner. Keeping everything on the UEFI partition takes a few more steps, but it's awesome to be more than fairly confident that my install will not break during an update, and also just really demystifying the config.plist after all this time.

the other benefit to using clovers kext injection is you can leave SIP on completely, and never have to deal with the system kext caches and such

pram
Jun 10, 2001

also yes just use hackintool, its easy. follow the instructions, and use clover configurator. you need to do the EC stuff anyway to upgrade to catalina

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been working off of my Mac partitions for a couple months, and now that I want to go back to them absolutely everything is going wrong. I can run the clover bootloader just fine, but trying to boot the partition proper and it hangs up on "Waiting for DSMOS...", my backups either do the same or crash out even earlier, and my emergency USB Installer is worthless. Pretty much all I have now is my windows partition and the Mac I use at work. I can access the EFI partition from Windows so I copied in the newest version of FakeSMC, since that's supposed to fix the DSMOS problem. Nothing. I don't know if there's something I'm missing but every single drat guide on the internet about Waiting For DSMOS is identical and useless.

My system's been behaving for so long that I'm at a complete loss, here.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any changes in BIOS? Disconnect the window disk(logically) and try again. Create a new loader from scratch without any fancy stuff. iGPU active?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pram posted:

also yes just use hackintool, its easy. follow the instructions, and use clover configurator. you need to do the EC stuff anyway to upgrade to catalina
I have a 1080ti so I’ll have to stick with High Sierra till Apple stops being lovely and approves the web driver.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Have you updated Clover? Running a really outdated version can cause problems when updating MacOS and on the flip side there was a change in newer versions where some of the efi plugins changed names so you might have to install all the Clover plugins again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Every time netkas' blog updates I get hopeful but nothing yet.
(If you're bored, the last post was a slightly interesting tidbit about 32 bit libraries.)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What steps do I have to do to upgrade from plain rear end High Sierra to Catalina if I’m upgrading from an Nvidia card (specifically the 1060) to an RX 5700?

Current parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($386.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($50.97 @ PCM)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB GAMING Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($249.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ ModMyMods)
Monitor: Asus MG248Q 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Custom: Broadcom BCM943602CS
Total: $1205.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 10:40 EST-0500

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wait until 10.15.2 final?

Someone on MacRumors said a PRAM reset helped with slow 5700 performance.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Decided not to go with it in the end. People seemingly have reports of noise and heat when it comes to reference cards. Looking at the RAW II XT variant now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Well, look at that. Figured a bump is okay since that last post is almost 2 months old.

Anyway, I upgraded to the RX 5700 XT and catapulted all the way up to Catalina from High Sierra. Changing my SMBIOS at first broke wifi and bluetooth and gave me that iCloud error, but I refreshed it and all and now WiFi and iCloud work fine.

However, bluetooth still doesn't. It doesn't so much so that the whole preference pane isn't there. It shows up in the menubar still, but with the squiggly line going through it. Anyone have any ideas? Running off a BCM943602CS which, as far I know, was natively supported in macOS.

e: Looks like we'll enter another 2 month drought. I fixed it.

A guy on another forum had a problem with the kext not working for him, so he made an edited one and put it up for download. I'm reposting it just so I can be assured the download will work later when I need it. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y9MMMnD51j3IZ43XpJ8JKRZ9jRq_qmrw?usp=sharing

Then, I found out just popping kexts into /Other on the EFI partition isn't enough anymore. Who knew. So I installed it correctly and now I'm back in business.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 7, 2020