Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first hard-R-rated candy bar tie-in

Looking for Mr. Goodbar would like a word.

And my group recommendation for this year's challenge thread is One Dark Night.

Oh, and Vinegar Syndrome is doing a flash sale until noon tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Checked out the Into the Dark episode Pure and couldn't help but imagine how great a movie it could have been in better hands.

As it was, I liked the cult elements since purity culture is already hosed up and disturbing, but the supernatural bits felt like a different, shittier movie interrupting a competently made one.

On the topic of Rob Zombie, recently rewatched Ho1KC and TDR. House has always worked for me as a stylish, nightmarish fever dream and the coffin scene still freaks me out. Nothing makes sense if you think about it for more than a couple minutes, but the movie is fun. Rejects is still one of my all time favorites. I remember first being exposed to it when I didn't know much about horror and wasn't as into the genre and hating it, but when I rewatched it years later after becoming a big horror fan I got it and loved it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Looking for Mr. Goodbar would like a word.

drat, got me there

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Swedish vampire love story "Let the Right One In" is amazing. Don't watch the American remake starring Hit Girl, it's awful. But the Swedish original (and the book it's adapted from) are insanely good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

T3hRen3gade posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Swedish vampire love story "Let the Right One In" is amazing. Don't watch the American remake starring Hit Girl, it's awful. But the Swedish original (and the book it's adapted from) are insanely good.

You've never posted here before a few days ago. What are your thoughts on the iconic director, Stuart Gordon?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I haven't watched K+H yet, but if you want a very visceral and visual Italo-throwback, check out Let the Corpses Tan, it's fun as hell

edit-- Actually, if I had to think of "what if Rob Zombie put his music video-esque directing skills toward gialo", I think Let The Corpses Tan would come out.

I saw this when it came out in a theater, great stuff. Not a horror movie but definitely hits the spot.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Tilda Swinton looks cool as heck in Constantine.
I'm trans because of this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

To me it feels like he's going through all the flavor styles of horror as part of his directorial growth. If that's the case, what's left in horror styles?

Erotic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pomp posted:

I'm trans because of this

I'm cis because of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. :(

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

Basebf555 posted:

You've never posted here before a few days ago. What are your thoughts on the iconic director, Stuart Gordon?

Robot Jox is one of my favorite schlock standbys, it's so much fun to introduce to people. Re-Animator is probably what he's best known for (for good reason) but Dolls loving rules.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I'm cis because of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. :(

Reasonable

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

Oh, and Vinegar Syndrome is doing a flash sale until noon tomorrow.

It's just the November releases because Tammy and the T-Rex.

I feel like it would be cheating to throw down for the October challenge with the September/October drops, that's like 12 movies right there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

T3hRen3gade posted:

Robot Jox is one of my favorite schlock standbys, it's so much fun to introduce to people. Re-Animator is probably what he's best known for (for good reason) but Dolls loving rules.

I think you'll fit in just fine here

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Here’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while. What are movies you’d play on mute at a Halloween party? You know, films with strong visuals that don’t require narrative support to resonate, with a “Halloween” vibe.

House (dir. Obayashi) is the one that comes to mind immediately. Night of the Comet is a strong choice, as is Dawn of the Dead (dir. Romero).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while. What are movies you’d play on mute at a Halloween party? You know, films with strong visuals that don’t require narrative support to resonate, with a “Halloween” vibe.

House (dir. Obayashi) is the one that comes to mind immediately. Night of the Comet is a strong choice, as is Dawn of the Dead (dir. Romero).

I think any of the classic Universal or Hammer films would work really well for that.

Another one that comes to mind right away is Bava's Black Sunday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haxan

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Before the trailer reel, I used to put Suspiria on loop and people always asked what that dope rear end looking movie on the TV was.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haxan 1922

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm currently doing a write up on the UltraSeven Evolution series, a live action Japanese superhero/sci-fi series released in parts from '94, '98, '99 and 2001-2002

Mostly it's just me talking about the stuff going on in them and my own personal experiences with them and all that fun stuff.

Would this thread mind if I did something similar with the Friday films and notable fan films after I'm done with that?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think any of the classic Universal or Hammer films would work really well for that.

Another one that comes to mind right away is Bava's Black Sunday.

That’s a good point. I remember when I saw Nosferatu, being struck by how strong the visuals were even divorced from any kind of narrative. Plus it’s already a silent.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

can anyone give me some more movies like Knife + Heart, idk what it is about that movie I just really loved it, I wish I could go back and re-watch it for the first time

yeah ive seen the Editor, didn't scratch the itch. I've seen most giallos.

I haven’t seen K+H cuz I’m saving it for the challenge, but Pedro Almodovar’s Matador is very giallo-adjacent, even including giallo footage. Shares a lot of dna with Deep Red as well.

Warning though, Antonio Banderas’s character attempts to rape someone, and the film has tons of sex and nudity beyond that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Skin I Live In has a mad scientist in it, it's horror adjacent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It’s basically a crypto-remake of Eyes Without a Face

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
True, I think one of the theatrical posters references it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anonymous Robot posted:

That’s a good point. I remember when I saw Nosferatu, being struck by how strong the visuals were even divorced from any kind of narrative. Plus it’s already a silent.

Similarly, A Page of Madness

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

It's just the November releases because Tammy and the T-Rex.

I feel like it would be cheating to throw down for the October challenge with the September/October drops, that's like 12 movies right there.

It stretches back all 11 pages (unless they just always have discounts running?). I had to exercise hard restraint, cut all the stuff with more than 500 copies left out of my cart.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! is a horror film premise played as a disturbing rom-com, and they film a supernatural giallo in that film.

Almodovar’s been playing with horror for a while. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did another as his next film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Blood Freak

Disavow any knowledge of it to those who ask, just let its visuals speak for themselves

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I usually use October to catch up on all the movies I've bought but haven't watched yet, but I've been more conservative this year with buying poo poo (i.e. I'm broke) and only have a couple of those, so I'll be using streaming and VOD and such a lot more. I usually try to only watch "new to me" movies but there will be some repeats as well. For example, I got the big Bergman box set this summer so I'm gonna re-watch Hour of the Wolf

T3hRen3gade posted:

Re-Animator is probably what he's best known for (for good reason) but Dolls loving rules.
:hai:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

It stretches back all 11 pages (unless they just always have discounts running?). I had to exercise hard restraint, cut all the stuff with more than 500 copies left out of my cart.

Eh, I don't know, I just buy the pre-orders, and wait for the Black Friday and Half-Way to Black Friday sales to mine the back catalog (Which I've nearly exhausted at this point). Wait for one of those sales where most things are around 50% off instead of the $10 it looks like they are now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

A friend who has a big yearly Halloween party has a little TV in the basement that just loops that weird dream sequence from Rob Zombie's Halloween II

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This thread is all about From Beyond, but lately I'm way into Castle Freak because it's a Stuart Gordon movie where you get to see Jeffrey Combs be a mean drunk who fucks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sleepy Hollow is a good turn off the sound and watch the visuals movie. I like it personally but most don't. It's got a cool Halloween vibe to it that I dig.

Also The VVitch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really, people don't like Sleepy Hollow? I love it. I have it in the top-15 on my list of 90's horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Really, people don't like Sleepy Hollow? I love it. I have it in the top-15 on my list of 90's horror.

I wouldn't rate it that highly but i quite like it too. Probably the last thing Burton or Depp did that I gave a poo poo about.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't rate it that highly but i quite like it too. Probably the last thing Burton or Depp did that I gave a poo poo about.

The 90s are thin pickings and Sleepy Hollow has A Lot of Christina Ricci

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't seen Sleepy Hollow since it was in theaters, I should revisit it some time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

did anyone see that Lizzie Borden movie Ricci was in? not the one with Chloe Sevigny and Kristen Stewart, the other one. i miss seeing her in stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

A friend who has a big yearly Halloween party has a little TV in the basement that just loops that weird dream sequence from Rob Zombie's Halloween II

That rules. I’m too stupid to do anything cool like that, or make a video mixtape. I’m practically too stupid to make playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sleepy Hollow is great. People who don't like it hate fun. It's like a cartoon of a Hammer film.