Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Micr0chiP posted:

The rental truck that I use at work shat some pieces.

https://imgur.com/a/v7yHYIh

And pissed the oil, check engine and oil lights are on.

https://imgur.com/a/WiEXdx2

I'm glad that I'm on leave the next 3 days.

Classic Iveco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, the guy from the rental company said that that was supposed to be inside the engine.
Maybe it exited from a hole in the oil sump were that piece of plastic was.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ivecoworkshopmanual-140401122309-phpapp01/95/iveco-workshop-manual-21-638.jpg?cb=1396355114

Maybe that timing belt on the left? (iveco daily)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The engine lost its baby chain is the adult chain is going to grow in.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Micr0chiP posted:

Yeah, the guy from the rental company said that that was supposed to be inside the engine.
Maybe it exited from a hole in the oil sump were that piece of plastic was.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ivecoworkshopmanual-140401122309-phpapp01/95/iveco-workshop-manual-21-638.jpg?cb=1396355114

Maybe that timing belt on the left? (iveco daily)

I don't think that's the right engine. That looks like a Cummins 6BT. (Found in lots of Iveco cabovers)

Unusual for a timing chain to actually exit the engine. That said, this is Iveco we're talking about. I think that plastic is a chain guide.

Content:

Driver reports loud bang followed by loss of drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mooseykins posted:

Content:

Driver reports loud bang followed by loss of drive.

Ah, a quarter-shaft.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

It may very well be at a place that has their poo poo together. Downtime directly equals lost profits, often costing the company more than what they would have spent to solve the problem before it happened.

Uptime is so important to the big mining companies that it's one of the primary selling points of the various equipment manufactures. When commodity prices are up it's a mad dash to get resources out of the mine as fast as possible before prices tank again (mining is an extremely cyclical industry.) I know Komatsu sometimes guarantees uptime for their largest customers by providing them with a spare haul truck (they sell for several million) for the mine to use if one of the trucks they bought breaks down. I'm sure CAT and the others do similar things or maybe even pay for lost productivity if their equipment fails to meet some agreed upon uptime percentage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

EKDS5k posted:

It may very well be at a place that has their poo poo together. Downtime directly equals lost profits, often costing the company more than what they would have spent to solve the problem before it happened.

Perhaps. But standard operating procedure in many construction related industries (don't know about mining though) is:

:v: Boss, the (something) is broken

:downsgun: Will it make it to the end of the job?

:v: Ummmm maybe

:downsgun: ok good, we'll get it fixed after that.

Job ends:
:v: Still broken

:downsgun: Oh, well, I just booked another job

:v: But we should fix......

:downsgun: yeah at the end of this job

:v: uhhh ok, but its getting worse
Job ends, and on to the next one:

:downsgun: That thing still working right?

:v: Barely, we really should get this poo poo fixed

:downsgun: Can't its booked up for the next three weeks

:v: Its broken for rizzles now, won't work. Talked to repair guy, says it'll be about three weeks

:downsgun: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUCCCCCCKKKK!!

Basically if (machine) isn't too broke to still do its job, then its not broke enough that it needs to be fixed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mining has gone through three boom-bust cycles in the last 20 years alone. They're absolute world class at getting every dollar out of their machines, and that generally means making sure poo poo gets repaired early before it becomes an issue. Daily pre-start checks, service schedules that need someone from Superintendent level to overrule etc etc.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

From what I've heard from a friend in the industry (and what seems to be the consensus on this thread), mining and oil seem to go against the grain when it comes to preventative maintenance due to the risk of loss of huge profits and/or safety issues compared to, like, every other industry that uses machinery of any sort.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

shortspecialbus posted:

From what I've heard from a friend in the industry (and what seems to be the consensus on this thread), mining and oil seem to go against the grain when it comes to preventative maintenance due to the risk of loss of huge profits and/or safety issues compared to, like, every other industry that uses machinery of any sort.

I'm told by a friend who works in the Texas oilfields, those operations are so hugely expensive to run that they want zero downtime. Scheduled maintenance is easy to fit in, but losing a vital machine can halt production at enormous expense.

He does on-site repairs and maintenance on stationary engines like gensets and pumps. Apparently a drilling rig costs tens of thousands of dollars an hour to run. Customers are less concerned with what stuff costs, more how quickly it can be fixed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mooseykins posted:

I'm told by a friend who works in the Texas oilfields, those operations are so hugely expensive to run that they want zero downtime. Scheduled maintenance is easy to fit in, but losing a vital machine can halt production at enormous expense.

He does on-site repairs and maintenance on stationary engines like gensets and pumps. Apparently a drilling rig costs tens of thousands of dollars an hour to run. Customers are less concerned with what stuff costs, more how quickly it can be fixed.

Not just breakdowns, but ANY sort of leak/spill is investigated immediately if anyone from the media can see it, it won't be too expensive, or if it can't easily be covered up.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mooseykins posted:

It must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to keep redundant sets of machinary that cost 10x the price of my house per unit, just sitting around as a spare in case something breaks and not have to stop everything and wait for a man in a little yellow van turn up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there are courses and lectures that explain the cost/benefit of upkeep and how to encourage company culture to embrace such an idea. I believe maintenance is also a section of 5S/Sixth Sigma training.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sharkytm posted:

Not just breakdowns, but ANY sort of leak/spill is investigated immediately if anyone from the media can see it, it won't be too expensive, or if it can't easily be covered up.

Interesting, didn't know that. I always assumed that chemical leaks/spills were just kind of the norm to an extent. Is oil drilling not as dirty a job as it seems?

Shut up Meg posted:

It must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to keep redundant sets of machinary that cost 10x the price of my house per unit, just sitting around as a spare in case something breaks and not have to stop everything and wait for a man in a little yellow van turn up.

I don't know much about the other equipment but those big trucks they use for moving all those pumps, gensets, rig parts run well into the hundreds of thousands.

Farming equipment is insanely expensive too. Combines can run to something like $750k.

I'm the man in the little yellow van. I need to find a new job.

um excuse me posted:

I mean there are courses and lectures that explain the cost/benefit of upkeep and how to encourage company culture to embrace such an idea. I believe maintenance is also a section of 5S/Sixth Sigma training.

My experience of fleet maintenance is that people who should know better are very optimistic when it comes to the longevity of equipment that needs repairs. On a daily basis i deal with people who've kept putting off repairs and maintenance then act like the world is conspiring against them when poo poo goes from "needing attention" to "terminal failure". Usually in the worst place at the worst time.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mooseykins posted:

My experience of fleet maintenance is that people who should know better are very optimistic when it comes to the longevity of equipment that needs repairs. On a daily basis i deal with people who've kept putting off repairs and maintenance then act like the world is conspiring against them when poo poo goes from "needing attention" to "terminal failure". Usually in the worst place at the worst time.

See Also: Government Plant. We took a trailer in for repairs that had 1/2" LATERAL movement in the wheel bearings with the nut done up tight- the races were sliding around in the hub castings they were that hosed.

Management: "Do you think we can hold off taking it offline for a few more weeks?"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Gulf seismic acquisition fleets cost $200,000 per day to run (this was 10 years ago). One of our little chickenshit parts failed downhole on a deep water rig so often, one of the oil service company majors (think Dick Cheney) was kicked off two rigs by Exxon. It cost them $1 million a day in downtime. I don't think people really understand the scale of money involved with the oil industry.

E: I used to inspect fluid ends for fracking pumps. I would check 12-16 in a 12 hour shift before they were assembled. One of those was $100,000 built up. Each one pays for itself in one single 18 hour shift and is worn out between 500-1500 hours, depending on the fluids used.

E2: Once I was done, the parts would get autofrettaged. The parts were made from forged 4130 steel and weighed about 3000-5500 lbs, in the picture it's that rectangle with the five ports on the very left end.

We got a bad forging from Taiwan and didn't know it until after all machining was complete. The whole block split in half down the middle and turned into a 25,000 psi lawn sprinkler inside the blast barrel.
For a sense of scale, that engine on the right side of the trailer is a 2500 HP diesel engine.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 19, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Interesting, didn't know that. I always assumed that chemical leaks/spills were just kind of the norm to an extent. Is oil drilling not as dirty a job as it seems?

Probably depends on the area and the company, but if you're a major doing business in California, releases (spills) are a big deal, and they spend a lot of time and money making sure they don't happen. Here's a chart that shows when you have to report a release to various agencies, and they're serious when they say any amount into water. I've seen someone rack up fairly high legal fees for spilling less than a cup of oil before. From what I've seen, it's always under two barrels of oil released for every million produced, so you're talking ~60 gallons spilled for every 42 million gallons produced.

Every piece of equipment is highly regulated, you can get an example here. You need all sorts of leak detectors, gas sensors, etc.

When you get down to mom and pop operations, a lot of safety rules go right out the window, especially since it's on you to self-report spills.

BloodBag posted:

The whole block split in half down the middle and turned into a 25,000 psi lawn sprinkler inside the blast barrel.

No thank you, I'm not getting anywhere near that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

E2: Once I was done, the parts would get autofrettaged.

Well, there's a new word/technique I learned today. Cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In industry, the typical measure for inventory is decided on being plant/production critical. Basically critical means if it fails, you're down. People are standing around until it's repaired. If it is deemed critical, it then goes down the decision tree of lead time and $$$. If something is critical but costs $500, it's a no-brainer. Keep it. $2,000,000 and has a 12 week lead time? It's then typically looked at how likely it is to fail. If it's not really something that can fail unexpectedly short of someone driving into it with a backhoe, chances are good it won't be inventoried. That saudi damaged refinery is almost certainly an example of this. It's now down for 3 months because they have to product these specialized parts, but in all reality they were never expected to fail unexpectedly.

That's where predictive maintenance utilizing condition monitoring (oil analysis, vibration monitoring/trending, etc) are really coming into their own and is swiftly becoming the norm for anything but the smallest plants.

Related to this, here is something we're starting to see more and more of in industry.

Counterfeit product.

In my industry, typically means hijacking the identity of a company for your product. 99.9% of the time, it means a generic Chinese company pumping out no name crap but labelling it and selling it as a premier brand product, like in this example SKF - a recognized world leader in rolling element bearings specifically.

Case in point: I had a client ask me for a spherical bearing a couple weeks ago. It's an absolute dog of a size. Simply nobody seemed to have it in stock and most manufacturers never even showed making it, so I paid the client a visit because I wanted to identify and double check the size of the bearing myself (people often are dyslexic or simply can't read). Saw the bearing in the box and took a photo.

Went to SKF asking for the skinny on a few of these. Long story short - they have never put this bearing into production. Never have. That raises some alarm bells. The photo I took thankfully showed the full barcode so they ran it: It came up being associated with a completely different type of bearing altogether.

This bearing is counterfeit. 100% no doubt at this stage.

This was an exceptionally good quality counterfeit. The box was exactly as I (a 28 year bearing industry veteran) expect an SKF box to look. The label including font was seemingly perfect. All the label data was in the right spots and made sense. Even the cardboard box looked perfectly believable. Logos were correct, colors correct, even the quality of the cardboard itself was correct. The plastic the bearing was in looked legit. I didn't take a photo, but the bearing itself was completely believable. The laser etching on the steel was bang on. Only thing that gave me even the slightest pause on seeing it was the CA/W33 suffix in the part #. Not impossible, but that style has been largely phased out and superseded to the "E" style. Not enough to really raise a big red flag especially a non-common size.

I asked the end user where he got it. He said a co-worker bought them from some Ali-baba dealer online from China. Something like $50-$100 each or so. It all began to make sense. That thing would probably be a $1K bearing. And ordering a bearing from some no-name dealer in China and getting "the real" bearing would probably be similar odds as banging a $20 thai ladyboy prostitute picked up in front of a drug den and not getting an STD as a momento. Not impossible, but I sure wouldn't want to take the chance.

MomJeans420 posted:

Probably depends on the area and the company, but if you're a major doing business in California, releases (spills) are a big deal, and they spend a lot of time and money making sure they don't happen. Here's a chart that shows when you have to report a release to various agencies, and they're serious when they say any amount into water. I've seen someone rack up fairly high legal fees for spilling less than a cup of oil before. From what I've seen, it's always under two barrels of oil released for every million produced, so you're talking ~60 gallons spilled for every 42 million gallons produced.
The popularity of non-petroleum based fluids for lubrication is becoming increasingly common. Heavy industry is now quite often relying on vegetable based (often food grade rated) fluids for non-food plants/industry in case of spills. It costs more, but far easier to deal with a 100 gallon spill of biodegradable vegetable oil based hydraulic fluid instead of dino based.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So how was the bearing itself? Was it made well, or just cheap poo poo that fails quickly (if it works at all)?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Really hard to tell to be honest. It's not like I can do a metallurgical analysis in the field but to be fair I was not inspecting the bearing itself super critically other than taking some basic boundary dimensions.

That said, nothing obvious at first glimpse in the sense that it didn't have sand in the wrapper and it appeared to have a uniform finish and looked like how I expected it to.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Nocheez posted:

So how was the bearing itself? Was it made well, or just cheap poo poo that fails quickly (if it works at all)?

The legit bearing and the cheapo knockoff could possibly be just as reliable, difference is the $1,000 bearing comes with traceability for the materials & the calibration records for the tools used to produce it, as well as the backing of a company that stands to lose something if they've missed a step and somebody dies as a result. $100 bearing has a sticker. Which would you trust?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Look, if you want me to take a poo poo in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got the time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slidebite posted:

The popularity of non-petroleum based fluids for lubrication is becoming increasingly common. Heavy industry is now quite often relying on vegetable based (often food grade rated) fluids for non-food plants/industry in case of spills. It costs more, but far easier to deal with a 100 gallon spill of biodegradable vegetable oil based hydraulic fluid instead of dino based.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense assuming they hold up well enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Look, if you want me to take a poo poo in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got the time.

You can take a good look at a butcher's rear end by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

You can take a good look at a butcher's rear end by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?

No, wait... it's gotta be your bull...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mooseykins posted:

Farming equipment is insanely expensive too. Combines can run to something like $750k.

The professional wrestler and insanely redneck redneck Brock Lesnar was negotiating with Dana White, the president of the UFC, to come over and do MMA. One of the terms of his contract was that Dana buy him a new tractor. Dana, being from New Jersey, was like "sure thing, what the gently caress does a tractor cost, like fifty grand?".

slidebite posted:

Yeah the drilling contractors here (supermassive gold mine in Western Australia) use various muds that are clay-based friction reducers, and vegetable oils. I've heard stories of drillers at less well-policed sites that would regularly put petrochem oils downhole for lubrication and write them off as being used in the diesel engines and gensets for their sites.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Memento posted:

The professional wrestler and insanely redneck redneck Brock Lesnar was negotiating with Dana White, the president of the UFC, to come over and do MMA. One of the terms of his contract was that Dana buy him a new tractor. Dana, being from New Jersey, was like "sure thing, what the gently caress does a tractor cost, like fifty grand?".

I feel like I'm watching the movie Blue Chip.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Mooseykins posted:

I don't know much about the other equipment but those big trucks they use for moving all those pumps, gensets, rig parts run well into the hundreds of thousands.

I'm the man in the little yellow van. I need to find a new job.

:hf: My van is white. And it's a truck, but that's semantics.

I'm at a cement plant right now and their loader is making a grinding noise from the rear axle. Shockingly they are immediately arranging for a rental machine so they can send theirs to us to get it fixed before it fails catastrophically.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BloodBag posted:

E2: Once I was done, the parts would get autofrettaged.

Read this as "autofrottaged" and was momentarily shocked at such kink.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

In the last week I've had two of my hoses for my gauge set pop at ~300 psi or so. Loud as gently caress and all it did was breech a little 1/4" rubber. Lost my hearing for the ear closest to it for a few seconds.
I can't imagine what having a tire do that would be like.

we have a decibel meter in our shop and just blowing the air gun, which has an OSHA-compliant 30psi nozzle, hits 95dB (passing subway car, loud motorcycle) from across the shop

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Gulf seismic acquisition fleets cost $200,000 per day to run (this was 10 years ago). One of our little chickenshit parts failed downhole on a deep water rig so often, one of the oil service company majors (think Dick Cheney) was kicked off two rigs by Exxon. It cost them $1 million a day in downtime. I don't think people really understand the scale of money involved with the oil industry.

I used to work for a service company in Canada with day rates ranging from 600k to 1M for the real fancy deepwater stuff. More than once our equipment failures shut down operations for 12-24 hours at a loss of $695/minute - I've never felt that kind of stress before and hope to never experience it again. One of the guys I worked with had to troubleshoot an equipment failure with the company man standing over his shoulder counting up the dollars every minute.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Niven posted:

I used to work for a service company in Canada with day rates ranging from 600k to 1M for the real fancy deepwater stuff. More than once our equipment failures shut down operations for 12-24 hours at a loss of $695/minute - I've never felt that kind of stress before and hope to never experience it again. One of the guys I worked with had to troubleshoot an equipment failure with the company man standing over his shoulder counting up the dollars every minute.

I would have told the guy he was distracting me, and causing me to work slower.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

we have a decibel meter in our shop and just blowing the air gun, which has an OSHA-compliant 30psi nozzle, hits 95dB (passing subway car, loud motorcycle) from across the shop

When I was in a shop, every now and then a coworker would be pestering me and I'd look them in the eyes while picking up the air gun with the long nose and pointing it into a blind hole. They were quickly were trained that meant go away now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tell him "pull out the SOP manual on how to deal with this failure" and see what his reaction would be.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

okay this is from imgur but yall need to see this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Didn't know Guillermo del Toro was moving on to modding cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Automotive Herpes Simplex 1
(because Simplex 2 would be around the tailpipe, right?)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Automotive Herpes Simplex 1
(because Simplex 2 would be around the tailpipe, right?)

Simplex 1 would be around the fuel filler door.

Is there a footherpes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

My stepdad worked for a Chicago Rawhide plant that made seals, and he wrecked his hearing from the air gun he cleaned the injection machine with after every batch, so I believe it.