Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for my second pair of shoes? I tried on and climbed in a pair of Vapor V's that fit pretty well but the heel was pretty farty due to being a bit loose, which surprised me, and I returned them. I have a fairly wide foot in general. Am I really having to balance downturned shoes for overhangy bouldery problems and a shoe good for vertical problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

ShaneB posted:

Any suggestions for my second pair of shoes? I tried on and climbed in a pair of Vapor V's that fit pretty well but the heel was pretty farty due to being a bit loose, which surprised me, and I returned them. I have a fairly wide foot in general. Am I really having to balance downturned shoes for overhangy bouldery problems and a shoe good for vertical problems?

Butora Acros are great

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

Butora Acros are great

I was just about to suggest that. Solutions also seem like a common wide foot shoe

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Reviews mention the wide heel which concerns me, because that was my fit issue with the Vapor V. I'll try them on!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I tried vapor v's and thought the murias were a better fit. A bit pricey but fit my foot better including the heel.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I wear EE or EEE width and have been really happy with the Scarpa Instinct VS. I tried the Vapor V and didn’t like the toe box fit as much; now that the Intincts are breaking in they are great, although I do take them off between routes.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

ShaneB posted:

Reviews mention the wide heel which concerns me, because that was my fit issue with the Vapor V. I'll try them on!

Solution owner - I have a very wide foot and narrow heel. I’m not sure where the complaint about the heel comes from; sure, you don’t have any feeling, but compared to Skwamas, my shoe of choice, the heel is great. My biggest complaint about Solutions is that they never seem to break in. I size down about three sizes normally; with Solutions, 2.5. I think it’s because of all of the rubber.

For edging and small holds, you’re never going to find a better toe than Solutions. They are the absolute worst slab shoe I’ve ever tried, however.

I’d say try Skwamas - better all-around/gym shoe.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Been using the Futura lately and while the no-edge is a bit of an adjustment I like the shoes a lot

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Scarpa furia/drago all day - makes solutions feel like rocks (not taking giant feet into account)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Scarpa furia/drago all day - makes solutions feel like rocks (not taking giant feet into account)

I absolutely love my dragos, but I'm not sure they're the ideal second shoe. You can destroy a pair of dragos in like a couple of months if you're bad about dragging your toes on poo poo/slamming your foot into holds. Nothing beats them for sensitivity though, amazing shoes. I really want to try the Furia Air.

ShaneB posted:

For your second pair I'd just be aiming to find something that fits well that's maybe a little aggressive and not worry about much else. I don't have wide feet or anything but I really liked the narrow Butora Acros (the blue ones) and I think the orange ones are good for wider feet, some of the most comfortable aggressive shoes I've had. I think the reason a lot of people complain about the solution heel is it tends to be a lot of people's first aggressive shoe, and they just don't size it right, so the shoes stretch a bit/their foot gets used to curling into the shape and suddenly the heel is loose.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I mean I'd say a pair of shoes every 3-4 months assuming 3-4 sessions per week is pretty standard. I'd definitely try Dragos if anywhere locally carried them

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I love my orange Butora Acros. Everyone's fit is different but they are real comfortable for me. I think I owned four pairs.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I had similar fit issues to what you mentioned with vapor vs and also liked the fit of tenaya ras as far as slightly-more-aggressive-but-not-really shoes with a wider toe

just go try a bunch of stuff on tonight/this afternoon

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I might need some shoe advice too. Been climbing around 2 months and I'm getting through about half of the V3s in my gym after a few attempts. I tried on the Scarpa Instinct VS tonight. I wear a 13 in my evolv defys but they feel a bit loose after climbing in them 3-4 times. The Scarpas were juuuuust comfortable enough to stand in without any pain and I felt like they encompassed my whole foot much better. I did get that shoe farting sound thing though. Do they stretch much at all? I was trying a 46 but I'm wondering if ordering a 45.5 might be worth it.

The reason I'm even considering new shoes this early on is that I just do not trust the defys. I had a few guys from my gym watch my footwork and they said everything was fine (Mostly people climbing around V6 and above) but man I just feel like I can't get a good hold with the defys at all.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
It’s possible it’s placebo; but even if it is, it sounds like you’re in a position to do something about it. If you feel like different shoes will help you climb better then they will.

Discomfort, so long as we’re not talking severe, is a terrible metric to base a shoe purchase on. Most shoes over a certain price point will form to your foot over time - I size down like 3 sizes and they’re painful for awhile but you acclimate. Of course, like anything, your definition of severe discomfort is yours to make

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I watched two dudes leading 11's last night, and one of them was wearing a fresh pair of my $100 newbie Scarpas. A reminder I don't need to go aggressive to somehow improve. My issues are in my endurance and technique!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm getting into top roping outside and have most of the gear I need except locking carabiners. I'd like to have around 10 of them. The best option I can figure right now is buying 3-4 packs of http://tinyurl.com/y5n9whd2 which would come out to around 100-120$ CAD.

Is there a better deal available somewhere online? Thanks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

I watched two dudes leading 11's last night, and one of them was wearing a fresh pair of my $100 newbie Scarpas. A reminder I don't need to go aggressive to somehow improve. My issues are in my endurance and technique!

Yeah man. Broken collar bone aside and hardly climbing this year. I usually lead 11+/12- in the gym in tenaya tanta's. Not exactly the most aggressive shoe in the world. Plus buying them at ET is like $85.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Colonel J posted:

I'm getting into top roping outside and have most of the gear I need except locking carabiners. I'd like to have around 10 of them. The best option I can figure right now is buying 3-4 packs of http://tinyurl.com/y5n9whd2 which would come out to around 100-120$ CAD.

Is there a better deal available somewhere online? Thanks.

Are you building anchors off rocks and trees?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

I might need some shoe advice too. Been climbing around 2 months and I'm getting through about half of the V3s in my gym after a few attempts. I tried on the Scarpa Instinct VS tonight. I wear a 13 in my evolv defys but they feel a bit loose after climbing in them 3-4 times. The Scarpas were juuuuust comfortable enough to stand in without any pain and I felt like they encompassed my whole foot much better. I did get that shoe farting sound thing though. Do they stretch much at all? I was trying a 46 but I'm wondering if ordering a 45.5 might be worth it.

The reason I'm even considering new shoes this early on is that I just do not trust the defys. I had a few guys from my gym watch my footwork and they said everything was fine (Mostly people climbing around V6 and above) but man I just feel like I can't get a good hold with the defys at all.

Aggressive shoes should not be comfortable to stand in and a half size down for any climbing shoe is probably too large nevermind an aggressive shoe. Instincts do stretch so I'd try a 44 and a 44.5

It sounds like your trying to avoid fixing the actual issue though which is not trusting your feet. I find it hard to believe that the defy is not an adequate shoe for climbing in the V3 range.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

asur posted:

Aggressive shoes should not be comfortable to stand in and a half size down for any climbing shoe is probably too large nevermind an aggressive shoe.

Counterpoint: wear shoes that fit and don't hurt.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

Counterpoint: this is only good for a certain level of climbing, so you may as well condition yourself to wearing uncomfortable shoes if you can stomach it

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

spwrozek posted:

Are you building anchors off rocks and trees?

Yes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Those should work then, it seems like $10 per locker is what they are starting to cost. You might look for a sale but also you want to climb. I would just pull the trigger. Not sure you need 10, 3 anchor points assuming webbing or cams, and two for the rope attachment over the lip of the rock on your cord. With trees you sometimes can anchor to them without any carabineers expert for below the master point for the rope. But if you have the cash better to be prepared I suppose.

Where you climbing at?

E: you might consider two steel carabineers for your rope connection. They will not wear fast and keep your rope in better shape.

V: I don't think $10 BD lockers are being cheap. (What he linked)

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 20, 2019

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I haven’t made it climbing outside but I do a lot of canyoneering, and I don’t cheap out on carabiners. Protective gear is not where you want to cut corners on material quality, fabrication or cost. Your life literally depends on it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slimy Hog posted:

I am more in this mind for 90% of my climbing. My tanta's are the same as my shoe size...

But I do have muira vs's that are tight as hell when I want to try hard and need precision.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

spwrozek posted:

Those should work then, it seems like $10 per locker is what they are starting to cost. You might look for a sale but also you want to climb. I would just pull the trigger. Not sure you need 10, 3 anchor points assuming webbing or cams, and two for the rope attachment over the lip of the rock on your cord. With trees you sometimes can anchor to them without any carabineers expert for below the master point for the rope. But if you have the cash better to be prepared I suppose.

Where you climbing at?

E: you might consider two steel carabineers for your rope connection. They will not wear fast and keep your rope in better shape.

V: I don't think $10 BD lockers are being cheap. (What he linked)

Sounds good, thanks. I'm in Montreal, so far I've made it to two places around here (Orford and Foret Ouareau). My friends have gear but I don't wanna depend on them.

Also yeah, I'd rather have more just to be prepared.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ubiquitus posted:

Counterpoint: this is only good for a certain level of climbing, so you may as well condition yourself to wearing uncomfortable shoes if you can stomach it

That makes sense.

Personally I'd rather be comfy in my shoes and deal with discomfort later if need be. My current pair is pretty comfy but I need to take them off after ~45-60 mins.

I'm also climbing at max v4-5 and I'm not really chasing grades right now

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

asur posted:

Aggressive shoes should not be comfortable to stand in and a half size down for any climbing shoe is probably too large nevermind an aggressive shoe. Instincts do stretch so I'd try a 44 and a 44.5

It sounds like your trying to avoid fixing the actual issue though which is not trusting your feet. I find it hard to believe that the defy is not an adequate shoe for climbing in the V3 range.

I'd say the bit about not trusting my feet is fair. I'll try and do some drills next week and see where I'm at. Probably not easing myself in enough.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
It can be hard to find slab problems in some gyms, but those are pretty good at brute forcing some footwork out of you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

I'd argue that the perfect fit for rock climbing is going to be uncomfortable in aggressive shoes, but it probably doesn't matter to most people. The bigger issue is that a lot of shoes stretch a huge amount such that you need to size down to something uncomfortable to get a decent fit post stretch.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Been using the Futura lately and while the no-edge is a bit of an adjustment I like the shoes a lot

I love the no-edge and feel like they're soft enough that you can size down to get a very snug fit. No-edge really gives confidence on tiny little chips and on smears, there's a much better sense of whether you're going to stick it or not versus a shoe like the Miura.

I wear a size 42.5 in Futuras and most other La Sportiva shoes I've owned (Miura lace, Cobra Mythos). My street size is an 11.5 US. I have kind of low-volume feet, and a longer second toe with a narrow heel and I like the fit comfort a lot given the performance aspects.

My next shoe will definitely be the Speedster or other no-edge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My gym has been in the process of stripping ALL of the boulder walls in preparation for a competition they're hosting this Saturday. I haven't climbed since last Saturday because there's nothing up; this is the longest I've gone without climbing since I got into the sport back in April and it's killing me. On the bright side, 50 new problems to explore tomorrow!

Suffering any sort of injury where you can't climb for weeks or even months sounds like the worst thing in the world to me now :ohdear:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sab669 posted:

My gym has been in the process of stripping ALL of the boulder walls in preparation for a competition they're hosting this Saturday. I haven't climbed since last Saturday because there's nothing up; this is the longest I've gone without climbing since I got into the sport back in April and it's killing me. On the bright side, 50 new problems to explore tomorrow!

Suffering any sort of injury where you can't climb for weeks or even months sounds like the worst thing in the world to me now :ohdear:

Yeah man. I more or less lost the entire year so far. 5 months off for broken clavicle. Then just mountain biking/travel/life/work got in the way. Climbed in the gym maybe 15 times this year (for a cool $440....) and 2 days outside (for free!). Just had surgery to pull hardware out of the clavicle yesterday so realistically I will get back climbing October 1. Hopefully have the motivation to go to the gym.

ET Golden/Englewood goons make me go to the gym!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is so lovely dude. How'd you break it? I'm afraid that if something like that happens to me I'll lose interest entirely by the time I'm able to climb again. ADHD is lovely like that.

Good luck :(

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Pretty much the same thing here, I've been bouldering steadily for a few weeks and had to take the week off because I rubbed a patch of skin completely raw on my heel doing a long hike with new shoes.

I don't want to lose my callouses :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sab669 posted:

That is so lovely dude. How'd you break it? I'm afraid that if something like that happens to me I'll lose interest entirely by the time I'm able to climb again. ADHD is lovely like that.

Good luck :(

Snowboarding. It is all good, had a good summer biking, went skiing in Argentina, still climbed a little.

I think I will be back cranking this winter!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I've missed most of the summer due to nagging injuries, which sucks. But taking a lot of time off at least hopefully means everything is fully healed up.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I first started climbing in Feb. Wife wanted me to come play volleyball at an open gym. Broke my ankle fifteen minutes in and am still working on physical therapy. They have me the green light to climb again though so that's something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
*clears voice peremptorily* Yeah? Well I lost a month and a half due to the worst injury of all - declining mental health. But luckily, I fully availed myself of the ensuing manic upswing and return to tolerable depression/normalcy to lose the 20 pounds of candy-related fat I'd accumulated, and am down another 5 in preparation for bouldering season :thumbsup:

I can feel some poo poo coming apart in my shoulder girdle and have since started to try and manage it with band-pull aparts. Don't think it's working. Anyone have a decent recovery protocol?

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 21, 2019