Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Crobo just poo poo out a ISC video about FPS minin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTvAUuHJrg

It's hilarious how low level all this stuff is. The original Witcher had a more sophisticated "collectibles" system. Hell, Underrail, a Fallout 2 style RPGs, does way more with collectibles than SC.

EDIT: taxxe

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

SSOCS off, mesh on.

Now that server side ocs might be coming in near future (lol) it is time to remind backers of the next unreachable god content that will finally make star citizen good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lmao at the idea they've been working on SSOCS (or whatever the gently caress their made-up term for "basic loving servers" is) for YEARS

Nah mate they just started a month ago

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

"First off, to start mining, you're gonna need a multi-tool"

Yeah it's ripping off NMS.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeletors_condom posted:

Crobo just poo poo out a ISC video about FPS minin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTvAUuHJrg

It's hilarious how low level all this stuff is. The original Witcher had a more sophisticated "collectibles" system. Hell, Underrail, a Fallout 2 style RPGs, does way more with collectibles than SC.

EDIT: taxxe

I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that Star Citizen was initially a space game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hazamuth posted:

SSOCS off, mesh on.

Now that server side ocs might be coming in near future (lol) it is time to remind backers of the next unreachable god content that will finally make star citizen good.

They've got the Peter Molyneux cycle down to a science, and somehow have managed to iterate on the cycle without even having to release a game

"Forget about that last thing, this NEXT thing!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kikas posted:

"First off, to start mining, you're gonna need a multi-tool"

Yeah it's ripping off NMS.

Chris Roberts and SC is so much exactly like Duke Nukem Forever and George Broussard.

You've got this one guy in charge who gets his way on everything and looks at every game coming out and says "ooh, we have to do that too"

10 years later your game still isn't done

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lladre posted:

I missed something, what's all this about costumes? did they make cosplay costumes for their staff?

What does your heart say?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You scan rocks and harvest flora as well, someone bought NMS on sale recently I see.

Also lol you break apart a rock and it scatters into individual "gems" which you have to painstakingly pick up one by one and stow into your inventory.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

8 years in and still slaves to feature creep. (Seriously, where the heck did 'mining on foot in SC' come from?)

It's never going to end and it's hilarious. :D

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Zaphod42 posted:

They've got the Peter Molyneux cycle down to a science, and somehow have managed to iterate on the cycle without even having to release a game

"Forget about that last thing, this NEXT thing!"

To be fair, they have talked about server meshing at length before, but it has always been a distant pipe dream, because they needed to do stuff for that. If they are now ready to shift attention to server meshing being in the pipeline soon, I am eager to learn what the NEXT thing us going to be.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
That Death Stranding demo was amazing.

They put so much attention into detail, yet nothing looked remotely fun. The baby stuff was creepy and so pointless, plus combat was laughably bad... hold on, is this the "successful" version of Star Citizen?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Popete posted:

Also lol you break apart a rock and it scatters into individual "gems" which you have to painstakingly pick up one by one and stow into your inventory.

I couldn't believe this part. It's almost as if Crobo and Strangli don't play video games and have no idea what gaming is about. :mmmhmm:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

This was cringe the first 243 times it was posted here in the last few days. Not watching this again for one second. Can we get some NEW poo poo to talk about? I know you are all a bunch of die hards and all, but.....drat.

Nah, I'm tired and this thing is dragging on like gently caress.

Edit: Seven loving years! You can fit a whole world war in that!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JugbandDude posted:

That Death Stranding demo was amazing.

They put so much attention into detail, yet nothing looked remotely fun. The baby stuff was creepy and so pointless, plus combat was laughably bad... hold on, is this the "successful" version of Star Citizen?

Yeah the more I learn about Death Stranding the more confounding it is, and the less fun it looks to play. I was always cautiously optimistic about it but every new detail (or lack thereof) I learn about it kills it a little more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DS is exactly the game I knew it would be, for better and worse.

I called it years ago, its MGS4 with no snake and more weird ideas. I'm not saying I'm the only one, but for how weird Kojima likes to be, and how different and creative he can be, he's also pretty predictable.

Some people are going to love DS, and it is an actual game, so its waaaaay better than SC. Also kojima isn't selling submarines yet.

But I think at best it'll be like Silent Hill 2 where the atmosphere is everything. The gameplay looks about as compelling as silent hill combat is. (Not very)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

DS is exactly the game I knew it would be, for better and worse.

I called it years ago, its MGS4 with no snake and more weird ideas. I'm not saying I'm the only one, but for how weird Kojima likes to be, and how different and creative he can be, he's also pretty predictable.

Some people are going to love DS, and it is an actual game, so its waaaaay better than SC. Also kojima isn't selling submarines yet.

But I think at best it'll be like Silent Hill 2 where the atmosphere is everything. The gameplay looks about as compelling as silent hill combat is. (Not very)

I kept reading this as "Derek Smart" and realized you meant "Death Stranding".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's the most Kojima game Kojima has ever Kojima:d.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah the more I learn about Death Stranding the more confounding it is, and the less fun it looks to play. I was always cautiously optimistic about it but every new detail (or lack thereof) I learn about it kills it a little more.

It's an anti-hype cycle. I approach this from the other end by completely ignoring that the game exists, so I'll be pleasantly surprised by everything.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People will still blame other people (especially Konami) for everything stupid that Kojima ever does, no matter how many times it's made obvious it is that he is a terrible manager and is at his best when he's ruled with an iron fist.

Basically what I'm saying is, once Death Stranding is released, expect a big announcement that CIG and KJP are merging.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

So... in the last thread (or was it the thread before that) there was this thing where we were comparing Star Citizen to the time scales of other projects. One of the things I brought up was that it had been in development longer then the Wii-U's entire lifespan.

Well, earlier today it occurred to me that Star Citizen was kickstarted in the era of the Playstation 3, developed into the era of the Playstation 4 and now the Playstation 5 is projected to be released in April of next year. Any bets as to whether or not Star Citizens Pre-alpha will out last another consoles lifespan?

I'm really starting to see why Crobberts said that Star Citizen could never be developed for a console, it's not processing power, it's just that the project out lives any console it could possibly be developed for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

K8.0 posted:

People will still blame other people (especially Konami) for everything stupid that Kojima ever does, no matter how many times it's made obvious it is that he is a terrible manager and is at his best when he's ruled with an iron fist.

Yep, exactly.

And lots of the things people liked most about MGS games were in spite of him, not because of him. Even if he's not against it, much like Chris, he's not writing code. He's not the reason you have a big open world and good shooting. That's due to some Japanese developers you've never heard of working all through the night to make the game actually work and not be a hot mess.

And MGS5 development would have gone on another 4 years if Kojima could get the funding to run away with it.

Death Stranding is gonna be like Episode 1 of star wars, Kojima having full creative control is not necessarily the best thing. You need someone to be able to say "cool idea Lucas, but does that really belong in this movie? Lets cut it and focus on the better stuff."

or, alternatively, "Dude that's super racist / really pervy what are you thinking?" (Lucas / Kojima respectively)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I pretty much feel the same way about Kojima and DS. But whenever I try to point that out to a Kojima die-hard fan they get real, real mad at me. :shrug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm furious about all this kojima defeatism

The man may be a disgusting misogynist but he's made all them games with his bare hands, it says so right on the studio!

Real talk: however poo poo DS may be its probably gonna be one of the more interesting games to come out this gen for one reason or another

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, exactly.

And lots of the things people liked most about MGS games were in spite of him, not because of him. Even if he's not against it, much like Chris, he's not writing code. He's not the reason you have a big open world and good shooting. That's due to some Japanese developers you've never heard of working all through the night to make the game actually work and not be a hot mess.

And MGS5 development would have gone on another 4 years if Kojima could get the funding to run away with it.

Death Stranding is gonna be like Episode 1 of star wars, Kojima having full creative control is not necessarily the best thing. You need someone to be able to say "cool idea Lucas, but does that really belong in this movie? Lets cut it and focus on the better stuff."

or, alternatively, "Dude that's super racist / really pervy what are you thinking?" (Lucas / Kojima respectively)

I prefer to take auteur theory to its logical conclusion and believe that the greatest art is the inane, unfocused, and enenjoyable bullshit that creators get up to when they're surrounded by yes men.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm really starting to see why Crobberts said that Star Citizen could never be developed for a console, it's not processing power, it's just that the project out lives any console it could possibly be developed for.

To show an example of just how glacial Crobblers works bear in mind that Planetside 2 was recently released when the SC (already a year into dev) kickstarter began, and doesn't Planetside 2 seem so very fresh and new nowadays (lol):D

Zaphod42 posted:

But it would still have released this year, wayyyyyy ahead of Crobblers cobblers. :D

Directed by Hideo Kojima

Produced by Hideo Kojima

Written by Hideo Kojima

Hideo Kojima

Hideo Kojima

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hazamuth posted:

To be fair, they have talked about server meshing at length before, but it has always been a distant pipe dream, because they needed to do stuff for that. If they are now ready to shift attention to server meshing being in the pipeline soon, I am eager to learn what the NEXT thing us going to be.

Start citizen NEXT

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Alright with the weekly video release it's time for another

Inside Star Citizen Summary!

The post where I painstakingly descend into the cavernous maw of CIG's bullshit and bring back little nuggets of precious infotainment for you. Let's begin:

* Jared is talking, skip skip skip
* "<The new mechanic will> expand the current capabilities of our asteroids, plant life, and multi-tools, already in game." I can't believe they say this stuff without batting an eye.
* All the Citizens bitching about cave brightness got their way, caves are way loving dark now.
* Looks like you get the mining tool through some more exciting shopping and inventory management gameplay. Love it, love it.
* Ship mining and FPS mining are mutually exclusive, completely separate systems, that were definitely planned to be that way from the very start. Having two independent ways of doing the same thing, at different scales, and trying to balance both of them in the same economy is a very good idea and not at all a sign that they can't get spaceship stuff to work reliably.
* Step one of mining: scour the nearly-infinite surface of planets until you see a tiny pile of detailed rubble that denotes a cave. There are no HUD markers and the dev clearly just teleported his ship to one. No problems here.
* Step two: enter pitch black cave without breaking your ankles or having an exertion induced heart attack
* Step three: find a mineable rock in the pitch black cave. It looks like all the other rocks but it has small blue lines on it. There are no HUD markers. Looking great so far.
* Step four: just carry the loving rock out. Haha no, of course not. Laser it apart with a minigame and then individually grab each one into your hand, then select it in your hand and click 'Stow." We're cooking with gas now.
* Your rock inventory is digital and not represented on your person. That's a ridiculous idea. Who the gently caress ever thought we'd represent everything on your person?
* You can sell FPS mined rocks directly to the guy at the station. You do not need to refine them like you do with the big mining ship. In the video they sell for 10-15 credits per rock that you hand-picked from the ground. You would need to sell 500 hand-picked rocks to get the credits of a single space combat mission. You would need to sell something like 200,000 hand-picked rocks to earn a space ship.
* All of this is tier zero so you can't criticize it. Obviously we're going to keep developing this. It's definitely not going out the door as-is and then no dev or player will even acknowledge that it exists after the initial victory laps.
* other stuff:
* Caves have random poo poo just laying on the ground and you can harvest... plants? And sell them? This is "Exploration" gameplay. For every single instance he shows, the spaceman has to pick the fruit or item up into his hand and examine it in the exact same way. I would go insane within an hour.
* Now we're talking about the "Sounds of mining." I'm skipping all of this segment. Mining sounds exactly like you would expect.
* Oops that was it, show's over.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Annnnd the :reddit: Citizen reaction is, THEY LOVE IT! Because the subreddit populated by the people who really want this to be Space Second Life + Everything Else In The World.

Well, except for one person that pointed out they just copied NMS, but they downvoted him into oblivion.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

They made the caves super dark for those people who love lurking in shadows, with lust on their minds.

Rapey caves are in!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You don't understand. FPS mining is supposed to be terrible. If you're rich, you space mine. If you're a poor citizen or captured in war, the Stimperor will sentence you to 20 years of hard mining labor. Real time, and only counts while you're actually playing, of course, for maximum immersion.

Pretty soon they'll be selling these people jpegs of themselves being tortured and they'll still be buying.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I'm gobsmacked at this 'pick up individual apples and select STOW' mechanic. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? 99.9% of harvesting pickups are going to be so you can sell them..not roll them on the ground or inspect them or whatever. This is the unholy brainchild of a design doc that insists they use innerthought for everything and ~FIDELITY~.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Annnnd the :reddit: Citizen reaction is, THEY LOVE IT! Because the subreddit populated by the people who really want this to be Space Second Life + Everything Else In The World.

Well, except for one person that pointed out they just copied NMS, but they downvoted him into oblivion.

NMS is hardly the originator of lovely mining gameplay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

NMS is hardly the originator of lovely mining gameplay.

It doesn't need to be. It's the one with the recent patch that got their attention, therefore became the template for their own worse version of it. Except as someone in the thread already pointed out, mining in a cave makes sense for a game where you're stranded on a planet with hostile conditions and you have to synthesize fuel and other things while taking shelter from the elements.

In Star Citizen, you mine in a cave so CIG can take shelter from the fact that they can't get a single loving core element of their so-called "space game" working, so they run away at top speed while continuing to steal money and throw meaningless art and pointless micro-mechanics over their shoulders as a distraction.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Scruffpuff posted:

It doesn't need to be. It's the one with the recent patch that got their attention, therefore became the template for their own worse version of it. Except as someone in the thread already pointed out, mining in a cave makes sense for a game where you're stranded on a planet with hostile conditions and you have to synthesize fuel and other things while taking shelter from the elements.

In Star Citizen, you mine in a cave so CIG can take shelter from the fact that they can't get a single loving core element of their so-called "space game" working, so they run away at top speed while continuing to steal money and throw meaningless art and pointless micro-mechanics over their shoulders as a distraction.

Fair point; what's Warframes excuse? ;p

I fear K8.0 may be literally correct and if you are thrown in Cave Prison you have to cave mine to fulfill your sentence.

quote:

"You misunderstand the sentiment. Server OCS is not where we will see major performance gains, it will come from server meshing, which requires server streaming to work. Server OCS may have some nice side effects on performance, but that is not the main motivation. Also many engineers on the team including myself have worked on other MMOs :)"

I feel this is all but total confirmation that meshing is now the codeword for instancing. Cool guy dynamic amazing wow meshing is ded.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im starting to think that star citizen isn't that good

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I fear K8.0 may be literally correct and if you are thrown in Cave Prison you have to cave mine to fulfill your sentence.

This is extremely likely to be true. I believe mining ore in prison caves already has precedent in a handful of sci-fi properties such as Star Trek. Chris is unable to make his own ideas (much like money), so he just steals them (much like money).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

eonwe posted:

im starting to think that star citizen isn't that good

Mods?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Viscous Soda posted:

So... in the last thread (or was it the thread before that) there was this thing where we were comparing Star Citizen to the time scales of other projects. One of the things I brought up was that it had been in development longer then the Wii-U's entire lifespan.

Well, earlier today it occurred to me that Star Citizen was kickstarted in the era of the Playstation 3, developed into the era of the Playstation 4 and now the Playstation 5 is projected to be released in April of next year. Any bets as to whether or not Star Citizens Pre-alpha will out last another consoles lifespan?

Couldn't find it so I made my own…

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

Alright with the weekly video release it's time for another

Inside Star Citizen Summary!

The post where I painstakingly descend into the cavernous maw of CIG's bullshit and bring back little nuggets of precious infotainment for you. Let's begin:

* Jared is talking, skip skip skip
* "<The new mechanic will> expand the current capabilities of our asteroids, plant life, and multi-tools, already in game." I can't believe they say this stuff without batting an eye.
* All the Citizens bitching about cave brightness got their way, caves are way loving dark now.
* Looks like you get the mining tool through some more exciting shopping and inventory management gameplay. Love it, love it.
* Ship mining and FPS mining are mutually exclusive, completely separate systems, that were definitely planned to be that way from the very start. Having two independent ways of doing the same thing, at different scales, and trying to balance both of them in the same economy is a very good idea and not at all a sign that they can't get spaceship stuff to work reliably.
* Step one of mining: scour the nearly-infinite surface of planets until you see a tiny pile of detailed rubble that denotes a cave. There are no HUD markers and the dev clearly just teleported his ship to one. No problems here.
* Step two: enter pitch black cave without breaking your ankles or having an exertion induced heart attack
* Step three: find a mineable rock in the pitch black cave. It looks like all the other rocks but it has small blue lines on it. There are no HUD markers. Looking great so far.
* Step four: just carry the loving rock out. Haha no, of course not. Laser it apart with a minigame and then individually grab each one into your hand, then select it in your hand and click 'Stow." We're cooking with gas now.
* Your rock inventory is digital and not represented on your person. That's a ridiculous idea. Who the gently caress ever thought we'd represent everything on your person?
* You can sell FPS mined rocks directly to the guy at the station. You do not need to refine them like you do with the big mining ship. In the video they sell for 10-15 credits per rock that you hand-picked from the ground. You would need to sell 500 hand-picked rocks to get the credits of a single space combat mission. You would need to sell something like 200,000 hand-picked rocks to earn a space ship.
* All of this is tier zero so you can't criticize it. Obviously we're going to keep developing this. It's definitely not going out the door as-is and then no dev or player will even acknowledge that it exists after the initial victory laps.
* other stuff:
* Caves have random poo poo just laying on the ground and you can harvest... plants? And sell them? This is "Exploration" gameplay. For every single instance he shows, the spaceman has to pick the fruit or item up into his hand and examine it in the exact same way. I would go insane within an hour.
* Now we're talking about the "Sounds of mining." I'm skipping all of this segment. Mining sounds exactly like you would expect.
* Oops that was it, show's over.

:five: :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Well done Goons! Stage 7 is complete: "Jesus patch" is now amongst the Citizens' upvoted CrobertsVision™ terminology. And they're even now accepting that the next Jesus Patch is weeks not months away :v: