Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Sleepy Hollow is great. People who don't like it hate fun. It's like a cartoon of a Hammer film.

It's also one of the specific instances where the material perfectly fits both Depp and Burton's talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Sleepy Hollow was decent, looking at my Criticker I've got it around 30-35th best horror of 90's along with stuff like Stir of Echoes and Mute Witness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I rewatched Sleepy Hollow a few weeks ago. I want to like it. There's a lot going on I enjoy. It just never really comes together for me for some reason.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It just goes to show you that if you want your film to still have an effect on people a century later you should include a scene in which a bunch of grannies kiss Satan on his butthole.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Before the trailer reel, I used to put Suspiria on loop and people always asked what that dope rear end looking movie on the TV was.

I feel like playing Suspiria on mute is a crime against humanity, but it is a goddamn gorgeous movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve met more people who don’t like Sleepy Hollow than do. The Spooky discord does not like it.

So I dunno. I’ve always been a fan. It’s a blast, looks good as hell, great score, Johnny Depp is perfectly obnoxious unlike now where he’s just straight obnoxious...plus a dope rear end cast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, I might have to watch Sleepy Hollow tonight.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

So October is around the corner, and I was thinking of doing 5 different categories of Horror movies/shorts/whatever each week.

I'll have horror novices but I'd like to gradually increase the horror to get them used to it haha

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm starting to get the Halloween movie queue ready myself. The big promise I made this year is to check out more 30s/40s horror because, believe it or not, I have not seen any of the Universal classic monster movies aside from the Abbott and Costello crossover. I'll probably slip some horror-comedies in there as breathers in between the inevitable violent slashers I always end up binging on (Slaughterhouse Rulez is on the list).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tertius Oculum posted:

So October is around the corner, and I was thinking of doing 5 different categories of Horror movies/shorts/whatever each week.

I'll have horror novices but I'd like to gradually increase the horror to get them used to it haha

Big advice for this: make sure you're aware of your audiences limits. I have certain friends that can't handle young children being killed, I know people that can't come back from a dog dying, I try to avoid films with explicit rape or sexual assault, etc.

It's common sense advice, but if you're trying to get people into horror, you don't want to kill any trust, or you'll never win them over.

Another thing to keep in mind with categories and stuff is think about the tone as well. Show your friends different shades of horror. Return of the Living Dead, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?, and In The Mouth of Madness have all been major favorites with my horror group, but they feel completely different from each other. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? was one of the most disturbing movies I've shown to a few people in my group, and there's no real onscreen violence in the entire film, but I had one friend have to leave the room for a few during In The Mouth of Madness because a scene freaked them out too much.

It's been a little over two years from when I started a similar thing. Half of my friend group hadn't seen, like, 90% of the must-see horror films, a few of them outright disliked the genre, so I started Spooky Night as a challenge to win them over. Now we do them almost bi-monthly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Big advice for this: make sure you're aware of your audiences limits. I have certain friends

LMAO at this poser who has friends and isnt a horror chud watching Fulci movies on a loop 247

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My spooky season starts mid-August and I mainlined a lot of 40s-60s horror since the, so my October list has a lot of 80s/90s on it. Most of it's my shameful haven't-seen list that I've been putting off forever with a lot of stuff I'm really excited about. Right now it's at 30, so it's shaping up that I might actually go for 31 this year when I only did 15 or so last year.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
drat Death Spa is a good looking movie. Some of that lighting is prime Giallo stuff and some of the kills are just amazing too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

drat Death Spa is a good looking movie. Some of that lighting is prime Giallo stuff and some of the kills are just amazing too.

Yeah. I love it. It's funny how this no-budget movie with such an insane premise and confused script can look so good. It lends it a lot of rewatchability.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

This thread is all about From Beyond, but lately I'm way into Castle Freak because it's a Stuart Gordon movie where you get to see Jeffrey Combs be a mean drunk who fucks

I don't know what's wrong with me but I absolutely hate Castle Freak. I should love it, but I just find nothing good about that movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really didn't like it at all. It was just kind of ugly and sadistic to me and like I like Combs and Crampton but there's other places I can watch them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Actually, thinking about my list, last year I saved a Biggie for Halloween itself with Return of the Living Dead. I'm having trouble deciding which to do this year. Here's the list:

Demon Knight, Bride of Frankenstein, The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Returns (double-feature), The Fog, Dawn of the Dead (1978) , Targets, Halloween III, Society, Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Night of the Comet, Hobo with a Shotgun, Brides of Dracula / Dracula has Risen from the Grave (double-feature), The Comedy of Terrors, Tales from the Hood, Castle Freak, The Reptile, Ganja and Hess, Gremlins 2 (have seen lots of parts), Carnival of Souls, Bride of Re-Animator, Dead Alive / Bad Taste (double-feature), The Gate, Body Melt, TerrorVision, Demons, Nightbreed, Tenebre, Blacula, I Walked with a Zombie

Out of those, what's both the most essential and the craziest?

I assume Bride of Frankenstein or Dawn of the Dead are the most essential so that seems most appropriate, but I also kinda feel like just going for as crazy as possible.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 20, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Demon Knight, Bride of Frankenstein, The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Returns (double-feature), Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Hobo with a Shotgun, Brides of Dracula / Dracula has Risen from the Grave (double-feature), The Comedy of Terrors, Tales from the Hood, Castle Freak, The Reptile, Ganja and Hess, Bride of Re-Animator, Dead Alive / Bad Taste (double-feature) Body Melt, Demons, Nightbreed, Tenebre,

These are my favs out of those

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Actually, thinking about my list, last year I saved a Biggie for Halloween itself with Return of the Living Dead. I'm having trouble deciding which to do this year. Here's the list:

Demon Knight, Bride of Frankenstein, The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Returns (double-feature), The Fog, Dawn of the Dead (1978) , Targets, Halloween III, Society, Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Night of the Comet, Hobo with a Shotgun, Brides of Dracula / Dracula has Risen from the Grave (double-feature), The Comedy of Terrors, Tales from the Hood, Castle Freak, The Reptile, Ganja and Hess, Gremlins 2 (have seen lots of parts), Carnival of Souls, Bride of Re-Animator, Dead Alive / Bad Taste (double-feature), The Gate, Body Melt, TerrorVision, Demons, Nightbreed, Tenebre, Blacula, I Walked with a Zombie

I assume Bride of Frankenstein or Dawn of the Dead are the most essential so that seems most appropriate, but I also kinda feel like just going for as crazy as possible.

Society.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

STAC Goat posted:

I really didn't like it at all. It was just kind of ugly and sadistic to me and like I like Combs and Crampton but there's other places I can watch them.

It's definitely the least of the Gordon/Combs/Crampton movies, but I still enjoy it. I can't disagree that it's a cruel, grim movie. It has very little of the bonkers-ness that lends levity to Re-Animator and From Beyond.

The guy who plays the Castle Freak is really good.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's definitely the least of the Gordon/Combs/Crampton movies, but I still enjoy it. I can't disagree that it's a cruel, grim movie. It has very little of the bonkers-ness that lends levity to Re-Animator and From Beyond.

The guy who plays the Castle Freak is really good.

I believe you've figured it out for me. Castle Freak isn't fun like Re-Animator or From Beyond.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I saw Castle Freak before I saw From Beyond or Re-Animator. So it wasn't that I had expectations of that kind of collaboration. I actually think I watched it thinking "Lovecraft", but it was mostly just because I was doing my "Years" challenge and I needed a film from 1995 I hadn't seen.

I just don't really love "ugly" films like that. And not from an aesthetic sense but more from a "rape scene" and cruelty sense.

I always save movies to watch on October 31st or the 30th and then I always end up busier than I expected (especially since my mom's birthday is the 29th) and never get to them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Demons is hands down the craziest movie on that list. It’s fun as hell with a crowd too, it’s a super rowdy movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

If you can, do a double feature of Blacula and Ganja and Hess.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
drat, when I saw there were nearly a hundred new posts in this thread since this morning, I thought for sure there would be some discussion on LLC 3. Anyone watch it yet?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

did anyone see that Lizzie Borden movie Ricci was in? not the one with Chloe Sevigny and Kristen Stewart, the other one. i miss seeing her in stuff.

It was a Lifetime movie, if that tells you how it went.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Benito Cereno posted:

drat, when I saw there were nearly a hundred new posts in this thread since this morning, I thought for sure there would be some discussion on LLC 3. Anyone watch it yet?

I'm totally gonna subscribe to Shudder to watch Creepshow but end up just rewatched LLC 2 and then watching 3. Because I make bad choices.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Benito Cereno posted:

I did. Overall not bad and definitely better than 2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was a Lifetime movie, if that tells you how it went.

Eric Roberts was a batshit insane villain in it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I finished Child's Play 2019 just now and it definitely has its faults but it is FUN as hell.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

These are my favs out of those

Cutting Carnival of Souls...I don’t think I need to say what that makes you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It goes against my religion to advertise for this game, but Dead By Daylight is having a free weekend on Steam for those of you who want something spooky to play during this 2 months of Halloween and are too big posers to own the Friday the 13th game.

It has Stranger Things dlc content availablew now, so you can be bored to death while playing as Nancy, Steve and the Demogorgon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stranger Things owns dingus

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Stranger Things' First Season owns dingus

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Stranger Things owns dingus

Dead By Daylight takes things that own and makes them boring as hell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't bothered watching the last two seasons of Stranger Things because season 1 was a fully contained story that didn't need any continuing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't bothered watching the last two seasons of Stranger Things because season 1 was a fully contained story that didn't need any continuing.

That's the smartest thing I've ever read.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

God I wish I'd done that. I went three episodes into S2 and tapped the hell out. It was so boring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Season 3 was big loud and goofy and I loved every second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah 3 is much better than 2 if only for Steve being in that goofy-rear end sailor outfit the entire season.