Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ex post facho posted:

what the gently caress

have i been misunderstanding the "protection from" mechanic this entire time or is arena loving with me

it should prevent all damage from the protected source color. in this situation a green creature with trample is blocked by a black creature with protection from green with toughness that would otherwise allow trample damage through. since all damage is prevented, why does any damage trample through?

I knew the questions before I finished reading it. This comes up in every group I've ever played with, even when all people in that group have been playing for years.

Trample assigns any amount over lethal damage to the player. Lethal damage is damage equal to the defending creature's toughness. Lethal damage is assigned to the creature with protection(and indestructible, like mentioned above), it just doesn't do anything. the rest carries over.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No worries man, it's one of the more confusing aspects of Protection. It's why it was absent for a long while, deemed too confusing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not certain if this is the last rare of the set but it would be a good one to end on

This is the best art in the set and I’d take a set of this surreal mixed media approach like yesterday

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shroud is too confusing for new players but they put Protection in the core set so we gotta deal with these questions for the next two loving years

(I'm not mad at the new players for this)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

God's Willing is loving fun.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wish they had never taken protection away. I think it's a good mechanic, and it also forces players to learn the ins and outs of some of the more complicated rules. Magic is a complicated game, and only people who like complication are going to be attracted to it.

Bring back damage on the stack.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Damage on the stack was bad design and the game is better for its loss.

The removal of damage on the stack also allowed them to push creatures harder.

There are good complicated effects and needlessly complicated effects and this is the latter.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Damage on the stack is dumb and brainless, it makes it so there's one obviously correct play and never any reason to do something different.

I guess it's good for making some people think that they're really smart for knowing the trick, but that's about all it's good for.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bring back interrupts

I still don’t know the difference between them and instants

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's been a long time but I think interrupts were supposed to be like second-order instants? Like once someone played an interrupt the only response possible was another interrupt

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Bring back interrupts

I still don’t know the difference between them and instants

Interrupts were just another "speed" of play. Interrupts could only be responded to by Interrupts.

The main thing this did was nerf the hell out of a card called Power Sink.

This thing used to be an Interrupt, meaning you couldn't respond to all your lands being tapped and mana drained unless you had an Interrupt to play, because you couldn't play anything at Instant speed in response to an Interrupt. Interrupts basically can still exist as cards with the keyword Split Second. Only, you can't respond to split second cards with other split second cards.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I miss time spiral block.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If they're going to bring back any mechanic it should be mana burn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe they could just leave the lovely parts of magic in the dumpster.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Basically, before the stack was invented, you had Batches. Batches worked sorta like the stack, in that each player could play instants and abilities and they'd go on top and resolve first, but there were a few key differences:

- Once players were done adding stuff to the batch, all the stuff in it got resolved, and you couldn't stop halfway through to then do some more stuff.
- State-based effects like whether a creature had lethal damage on it were only checked after the entire batch had resolved.

(Yes, this means that Giant Growth trumped Lightning Bolt regardless of what order they were played in).

Interrupts were things that interacted with spells and abilities - essentially, when you played something as an interrupt, it interrupted the current batch, you'd deal with the interrupt, and then resume building the batch. You could respond to the interrupt with another interrupt, but you weren't allowed to start a new batch (or add other things to the existing batch), because that would be confusing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't wait for them to add old cards with Banding to Arena. Bring back what Magic was like when it was good.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

RNG gods were kind to me today. I went 5-0 in the Momir event and was rewarded with a Mythic.

endlessmonotony posted:

I can't wait for them to add old cards with Banding to Arena. Bring back what Magic was like when it was good.
Oh god I'm having flashbacks of calling the judge over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Have they really not tried to design a fixed banding that works in the current environment? "Lots of small creatures team up to fight big ones" seems like a flavorful space

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have they really not tried to design a fixed banding that works in the current environment? "Lots of small creatures team up to fight big ones" seems like a flavorful space
As I mentioned the last time it came up, the fixed banding was the en-kor damage redirection ability and it was either useless, "ok" or broke the game. They've shied away from that since, as banding is largely useless or really annoying.

They should do some banding fights akin to Nissa's double punch from Gatewatch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's called Lumbering Battlement

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

WAR brought us Band Together, which is a Domri's Ambush-like that lets you combine 2 creatures' power to deal damage to a single creature. The biggest problem with banding that I remember was when you tried to combine it with other effects - trample, flying, etc. I don't even remember what the ruling was for those situations, but I can only imagine what a pain in the rear end it would be to manage it (both from a playing standpoint and a judging standpoint) today given the multitude of additional effects available. Of all the retired effects, that's the one I least expect to reappear.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

It's called Bestow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

It's called Lumbering Battlement

Shooting Blanks posted:

WAR brought us Band Together, which is a Domri's Ambush-like that lets you combine 2 creatures' power to deal damage to a single creature. The biggest problem with banding that I remember was when you tried to combine it with other effects - trample, flying, etc. I don't even remember what the ruling was for those situations, but I can only imagine what a pain in the rear end it would be to manage it (both from a playing standpoint and a judging standpoint) today given the multitude of additional effects available. Of all the retired effects, that's the one I least expect to reappear.

Oh yeah these seem like banding-likes for sure. Battlement was a neat design, especially with it being resilient to getting blown out by removal

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

PSA if you want to untap colossus of sardia in momir you need to set an upkeep stop for it.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

The Human Crouton posted:

I knew the questions before I finished reading it. This comes up in every group I've ever played with, even when all people in that group have been playing for years.

Trample assigns any amount over lethal damage to the player. Lethal damage is damage equal to the defending creature's toughness. Lethal damage is assigned to the creature with protection(and indestructible, like mentioned above), it just doesn't do anything. the rest carries over.

Yet when a creature with deathtouch and trample does damage to a creature it only does one to the creature and the rest the the player irregardless of protection or indestructible. Which is almost complete the opposite manner of what you were describing. The rules have gotten more streamlined over time but there are still some cases that are almost arcane.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Oh god I'm having flashbacks of calling the judge over.

Wheel of Sun and Moon, Sages of the Anima and Suppression Field are in play, I activate the Grandeur ability of Linessa, Zephyr Mage. My hand is empty.

I sacrifice Linessa to Thermopod to pay for one mana of the Suppression Field cost, Wheel of Sun and Moon puts it on the bottom my library which has two other cards in it.

I activate Chromatic Sphere while paying for the other mana. Because Sages of the Anima replaces the draw with a reveal, I reveal my entire library, including Linessa, Zephyr Mage. I put Linessa, Zephyr Mage into my hand and discard it to pay for the Grandeur cost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Deathtouch means that one damage counts as lethal damage. This counts during damage assignment as well, otherwise it wouldn't be very useful against multiple blocks.

A lot of this stuff becomes much clearer if you set aside the trample case, and focus on the multi-block case. If you block a 4/4 with two 2/2s, should casting God's Willing on one of them be able to save both?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but losing instantly because the game dropkicks you in the nuts for spending 6 mana vs your opponent getting a cool dude are two very different things.

it's insanely hosed up how momir added all that variance to a game that involves a shuffled deck of cards

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this deck has been pretty fun in 2020 Standard

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Featured/155782

I've had multiple 3-0 runs with it now

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

starkebn posted:

this deck has been pretty fun in 2020 Standard

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Featured/155782

I've had multiple 3-0 runs with it now

Is this missing a Drowned Secrets or is it just wasting people's time as much as possible win or lose?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Spiderdrake posted:

And then you'd be complaining she's ridiculously overcosted for her abilities. She'd be good as a 4/4 for 1RWB, but as is, she's a six mana commander for a low to the ground voltron tribal deck and that's just innately clunky.

We don't even know how we're getting those cards so it's possibly she'll just never be crafted by anyone, the end.

Syr Gwyn is another attempt on WotC's part to give people reasons to go wide with attachments.
Yes she's overcosted, especially in brawl as it currently stands.
But I'm willing to accept 'overcosted' so long as she had things to work with and those things made sense. (Why does her sword not work in concert with her abilities at all?)
I acknowledge that I'd still bitch about it and I won't apologize for that, but now I have two things to bitch about instead of one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Command the Dreadhorde to bring back Ajani, Strength of the Pride and a ton of creatures in a WW lifelink deck is hilarious. I should have screencapped the Pridemate triggers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

full spoiler for anyone not following the other thread (it seems a bit quicker than this one for spoilers)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/throne-eldraine

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The only thing better than people playing aoes into Tajic is being able to God's Willing or buff Tajic past the damage so nothing at all dies. I had someone visibly counting their gates before they conceded.

I was confused why there was a ranked queue for 2020 at first but it really is a lot of fun to have a mixed up weird thing to grind after two months of normal poo poo. Maybe historic is cool and a month of that will be cool too.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am for any queue that exclusively deals with deckbuilding changes or limitations. gently caress the special rules bullshit.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
New state of the game: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-september-20-2019

Bunch of cool stuff.

1. An event giving us access to a playset of everything in standard
2. A similar event allowing us to possibly win one copy of every card in standard
3. Code FiveBonusLevels for 5 levels.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You need to go 12-1 (or 12-0) to get a copy of every card.

Even if you had an absurd 80% average winrate in the format, the odds of getting there are not in your favour.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But apparently the event is free and pays out a rare ICR for going 0-2, which seems ... exploitable. Unless I'm misreading something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Huxley posted:

But apparently the event is free and pays out a rare ICR for going 0-2, which seems ... exploitable. Unless I'm misreading something.

My read is that you only get to play the event once.

I guess you could farm up a single rare ICR on a bunch of different smurf accounts, but you're really not achieving anything.