Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

quote:

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

The DLC in question was a silly alt-history scenario for a mapgame involving the Aztecs invading medieval Europe. Is this a real meltdown or some elaborate satire? I can't tell the difference anymore so it goes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am pretty sure Crusader Kings is the one where through some trickery, you could get horses ruling a fair chunk of the planet. Or get castrated, and have Satan give a whole new set of bits.

So realistic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am pretty sure Crusader Kings is the one where through some trickery, you could get horses ruling a fair chunk of the planet. Or get castrated, and have Satan give a whole new set of bits.

So realistic.

Sunset Invasion was waaaaay before either of the DLCs that enabled those options. Prior to Sunset, the released DLCs had been about playing as Muslims or Republics in a Mostly Serious History Simulator.

Still an over-the-top meltdown for what it was. To such a degree that one of the Paradox devs who posts here had it as their avatar text for a while.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So realistic.

This is correct.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a serious question:

But apart from the targeted, petty, and personal harassment of some women who dared to intrude on their hobby, what have "Gamers" actually achieved actually achieved in the real world?

Seriously, has any 'Gamer' activism, or campaign, or anythiong along those lines actually done anything, good or bad, of any worth or lasting impact.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Loot boxes are now condemned by the Church of England so I guess that?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

BrigadierSensible posted:

But apart from the targeted, petty, and personal harassment of some women who dared to intrude on their hobby, what have "Gamers" actually achieved actually achieved in the real world?

Seriously, has any 'Gamer' activism, or campaign, or anythiong along those lines actually done anything, good or bad, of any worth or lasting impact.

There's a lot of very good charitable fundraising that the gamer community generates. :shrug:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Which was the map game where they added female generals/rulers/whatever and gamers threw a fit about "this isn't historically accurate"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

Which was the map game where they added female generals/rulers/whatever and gamers threw a fit about "this isn't historically accurate"

Total War: Rome 2. They only added female generals to factions that historically had them as well (i.e. not Rome).

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Fragmaster reading of the infamous Final Fantasy on Xbox 360/“Square just shot themselves in the foot” meltdown from (IIRC) NeoGAF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
While I didn't witness any of the incidents, I've had this masterful summary saved on my computer for years. I hope it still speaks for itself.

quote:

And Aja Spake Unto the Multitudes

One day, Aja spake unto the multitudes. DL Anon found it, and saw that it was good:
“ In the beginning was the Word; and the Word was with Peter Jackson, and the Word was Peter Jackson. And Peter Jackson said, 'let there be men sweating together in the wilds of New Zealand,' and there were men sweating together in the wilds of New Zealand. And Peter Jackson saw that the men sweated together, and Peter Jackson said, 'it is good.'

And it came to pass that a decree went out from the LotR fandom that all the men should be slashed; and thus there came into the world RPS, and they christened this RPS "LotRips," and the mighty LotRips split the fandom in twain.

It came to pass that Elijah Wood and Dominic Monaghan went out from the wilds of New Zealand, and didst sup together among the presence of Men; and it came to pass that a woman, whom some call MsAllegro, heard of this meeting, and heard that the men hath supped together in the presence of Men.

Then spake MsAllegro unto the fandom: 'verily, I say unto thee, that these men, lately hobbits, hath supped together freely in the presence of men; therefore they are gay; yea, they are gay and their love is True and Mighty, surpassing the love of all other men; yea, and all who write LotRips of any other kind shall die a hideous death and be cursed to the seventh generation of the seventh generation, even unto the end of the ages;.' And the fandom spake unto MsAllegro, 'yay, you hath been touched in the wit.' Then spake MsAllegro unto the fandom, 'let my people go;' and the fandom sayeth unto MsAllegro, 'gladly;'

And it came to pass that MsAllegro led her people through the Desert of Orlijah and the Valley of Viggorli unto the Land of DomLijah; and the land was called DataLounge. And therefore unto the nation of DataLounge did MsAllegro deliver forth these three commandments:

1) Thou shalt have no other ships before Dom/Lijah.
2) Honor the love of Dom/Lijah, for it is great and t00by.
3) Sean Astin is a rapist and an eater of babies.

Thus spake MsAllegro, and great was the outcry among the LotRippers, and rose up there among them many enemies of the Nation of DataLounge, and MsAllegro's notoriety grew large. Then it came to pass that MsAllegro sayeth unto Dominic Monaghan, 'Prithee, you are Dominic Monaghan, yea, and I knoweth your love for this Elijah to be great and t00by; yea, for I am MsAllegro;' and Dominic sayeth unto MsAllegro, 'yea, are not ye that woman, that same MsAllegro of whom men hath said, "she hath been touched in the wit?"

And it came to pass that many of the fandom spoke amongst themselves, and sayeth, 'the wank shall flow long; yea, great shall be the wank upon the days of the earth;' and it came to pass that flow the wank did, until the wank hath reached the ends of the earth, until not even The Harry Potter Plagiarists™ could outwank them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

BrigadierSensible posted:

Child's Play, which has raised multiple millions of dollars to help sick kids in hospitals was started as a spite campaign because the Penny Arcade guys were pissed at Jack Thompson.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sprite Stitch, a site that's focus is on patterns (typically cross-stitch, but other crafts as well) that are video game or other "nerd" fandom based, has in the past had community members stitch at least 13"x13" scenes from video games, made them into a quilt, and then auctioned off the result for Child's Play.

This is 2014's.

As far as I know, it hasn't been done the past couple years, but there are plans to bring it back.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There was that accidental pandemic in WoW that ended up being studied by epidemiological researchers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

https://allthatsinteresting.com/corrupted-blood

quote:

Yet another interesting observation for the epidemiologists is what Fefferman refers to as the “stupid factor.” Players logged on to take a quick look at the epidemic and its accompanying hysteria for the sake of curiosity only to contract, then spread, the disease themselves. This type of irrational behavior is actually present in real epidemics as well. Purely mathematical models don’t account for journalists, public health researchers, or Average Joes who get closer than they should.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

On a similar line, when Disney bought Star Wars, I remember some nerd saying that he'd punch someone if he saw anything Star Wars at Disneyland.

He forgot about Star Tours, huh?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

Child's Play, which has raised multiple millions of dollars to help sick kids in hospitals was started as a spite campaign because the Penny Arcade guys were pissed at Jack Thompson.

Games Done Quick raises millions of dollars every year for Doctors Without Borders and cancer research

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Extra Life does good stuff for sick kids.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Sunset Invasion was waaaaay before either of the DLCs that enabled those options. Prior to Sunset, the released DLCs had been about playing as Muslims or Republics in a Mostly Serious History Simulator.

Still an over-the-top meltdown for what it was. To such a degree that one of the Paradox devs who posts here had it as their avatar text for a while.

People hating on the ridiculous things has always confused me as you can just disable the parts you don't like. In the case of horses ruling the world it's extremely unlikely to happen accidentally. Granted part of the fun of that game is just seeing the ridiculous poo poo you can make happen. I really feel like Paradox has been looking at the way people play the game and just letting the madness happen.

You can play it as a Super Serious History Simulator or you can do random crap like "what happens if I put a Viking bear that worships Satan in charge of Venice?"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

AutumnDDP2 posted:

It's gotta be this F-Zero GX rant, covered by Fragmaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

Oh god yes.
I only wish I could get Fragmaster to read the internet to me all day every day.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

1stGear posted:

The best part is there was never a reason that one had to buy sunset. It added those wacky features and that's it. Don't want those wacky features then don't buy the dlc. These idiots act like there were some major patch elements or other things that required them to buy it lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it was also made by dev's spare time, so it's not even that they took official development time and resources to make.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I really feel like Paradox has been looking at the way people play the game and just letting the madness happen.

This is exactly what happens.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People hating on the ridiculous things has always confused me as you can just disable the parts you don't like. In the case of horses ruling the world it's extremely unlikely to happen accidentally. Granted part of the fun of that game is just seeing the ridiculous poo poo you can make happen. I really feel like Paradox has been looking at the way people play the game and just letting the madness happen.

Like half the fun of Paradox games is finding amusing ways to make world history go way the gently caress off the rails.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though paradox has been pushing the off the rails poo poo so much you hardly have to do much and it honestly makes it less fun

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Patrick Spens posted:

Child's Play is a glorified money laundering tax shelter where publishers donate money and the charity buys their games at retail prices so they still get a boost to their income and sales figures while everyone involved gets a fat tax writeoff. It's a bunch of gullible nerds being fleeced out of some misguided desire to NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD people telling them that there are more important things in the world than video games.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Child's Play is a glorified money laundering tax shelter where publishers donate money and the charity buys their games at retail prices so they still get a boost to their income and sales figures while everyone involved gets a fat tax writeoff. It's a bunch of gullible nerds being fleeced out of some misguided desire to NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD people telling them that there are more important things in the world than video games.

:eyepop:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sleeveless posted:

I can't tell if this is true or just another fan meltdown.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sleeveless posted:

Yes, it’s a charity.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is the thread for meltdowns, you'd think you'd get more mileage out of the Penny Arcade guys' multiple public diaper fillings over their rape wolves comics or their designated Diversity Zones at their convention or them trying to hire a person to do five jobs at once for minimum wage rather than :jerkbag: about how epic it is to throw money at millionaires to own the guy from 20 years ago who said small children should maybe not be buying R-rated movies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Literally anything involving timed exclusivity re: the epic game store. Just wait a year and it'll be on steam. Play one of your other hundreds of video games in the interim.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

This is the thread for meltdowns, you'd think you'd get more mileage out of the Penny Arcade guys' multiple public diaper fillings over their rape wolves comics or their designated Diversity Zones at their convention or them trying to hire a person to do five jobs at once for minimum wage rather than :jerkbag: about how epic it is to throw money at millionaires to own the guy from 20 years ago who said small children should maybe not be buying R-rated movies.

Always nice when we get a self-sustaining reaction in a mock thread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also like

giving toys to children's hospitals is kind of one of the most fundamentally Good Person things i can think of

there are reasons to donate to Child's Play other than a desire to own the libs, such as "the thought of possibly being Literally Santa Claus for a kid with cancer"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

The Jack Thompson defender has logged on, everyone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sleeveless posted:

It's nice when threads last long enough to generate their own subject matter.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Took a whole two pages lol.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The Jack Thompson defender has logged on, everyone.

yeah uh that guy has (*had, was disbarred) well established career as a legal troll completely outside his interactions with the PA dudes, the fact that he wound up in a fight with other lovely people doesn't actually lend him or his opinions any respectability

lol at caring about PA so much that you stan Jack Thompson

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Unfortunately that seems to be incomplete, as the "Read next page" button looks like it was broken by the archiving, so you can't read the best part (where he goes so over the top that he starts burning every bridge in his life and pushes for this stuff so hard that he gets banned by wikia themselves.)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gloomy Rube posted:

Unfortunately that seems to be incomplete, as the "Read next page" button looks like it was broken by the archiving, so you can't read the best part (where he goes so over the top that he starts burning every bridge in his life and pushes for this stuff so hard that he gets banned by wikia themselves.)

Yeah the next part where he starts spreading the theory into other silent hill games and banning other mods/admins is the juiciest bit. I hope someone can find it.

Is there a mental illness term for when someone latches on to an idea like this and inserts it into everything, eventually self destructing their hobbies/relationships/life? Do they make a pill for this?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao did you just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Yeah the next part where he starts spreading the theory into other silent hill games and banning other mods/admins is the juiciest bit. I hope someone can find it.

Is there a mental illness term for when someone latches on to an idea like this and inserts it into everything, eventually self destructing their hobbies/relationships/life? Do they make a pill for this?

the "obsession" from obsessive-compulsive disorder