Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

blast0rama posted:

I haven't picked the book up since I'm trade waiting, but does the final, print version of the Abrams' Spider-Man #1 have Sara Pichelli's art looking really JPEG-y with clean lettering like the preview images I've seen online (and in articles like this: https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/9/18/20870550/j-j-abrams-spider-man-1-mary-jane-ben-parker-spoilers)

Thanks!

Note: SPOILERS in linked article.

No, that's how previews almost always used to be done. Though I haven't looked at any in a while so I don't know if they still do that these days.

EDIT: Yes, that's still how they all are: https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL191016?Prevue=1

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm really not sure how I feel about Abrams' Spider-Man (Or Spider-Man: Bloodline, to use the title they use inside the book). While has some good character moments, it basically doesn't bring anything new to the table, especially coming out just after Life Story came out earlier this year for alternative-universe takes on Spidey.

Hell, the 'established character dies and TURNS OUT IT WAS AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE ALL ALONG!' thing was done with Peter Parker in Into The Spider-Verse. But then I guess they couldn't have marketed it as a book that 'counted' that way. And you know, fridging MJ literally the page after the preview ends is kind of not a good look, in my opinion.

Freindly Neighbourhood, however, continues to be amazing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It does seem like you could've omitted the first few pages entirely and been fine.

Also, Aunt May still being around and capable of moving unassisted a full 12 years later strikes me as odd, but I suppose the modern version of her isn't as fragile as she used to be.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Lol at disheveled Keanu-looking Peter making his 120 year old single aunt raise his son.

Also the claw hand. You are from the future and you are a scientist, get a robot hand you total scrub.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bananaquiter posted:

Also the claw hand. You are from the future and you are a scientist, get a robot hand you total scrub.

I bet it's a Phantom Pain situation where Peter doesn't actually want that, because he likes to be constantly reminded of what he lost. Screw that guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I bet it's a Phantom Pain situation where Peter doesn't actually want that, because he likes to be constantly reminded of what he lost. Screw that guy.

I would put good money on there being a dramatic scene later where Peter has to suit back up and he pulls a Richards brand robot hand out of a box.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Valkyrie is really good. It's a nice of blend of 'mythic Marvel' and 'standard supervillain Marvel.' Good twist at the end.

Its neat! Still seems real weird that Heimdall survives war of the realms then gets shanked by bullseye tho

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

blast0rama posted:

I haven't picked the book up since I'm trade waiting, but does the final, print version of the Abrams' Spider-Man #1 have Sara Pichelli's art looking really JPEG-y with clean lettering like the preview images I've seen online (and in articles like this: https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/9/18/20870550/j-j-abrams-spider-man-1-mary-jane-ben-parker-spoilers)

Thanks!

Note: SPOILERS in linked article.

No, the art is WEIRD. I loved Pichelli on Ultimate and this seems really sketchy. I'm not sure if it's the inker, which was listed as assistant, so she inked some of the art herself or maybe it was the colors, but it really didn't do it for me the way the art usually does.

There were a bunch of things about the story that bothered me too, MJ getting fridged, Peter dumping his kid on his aunt while he works? There apparently not being any other heroes because why doesn't he have a Stark hand? The new villain being loving stupid and weird. I don't know if I'll pick up the rest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't plan on reading it, but if she phoned in work on a book that jj abrams paid marvel to let his kid write i would not be shocked

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that is something i had not considered and cannot fault

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
That Abram's Spider-Man book was really bad. The pacing was terrible and writing stilted as gently caress.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

I don't plan on reading it, but if she phoned in work on a book that jj abrams paid marvel to let his kid write i would not be shocked
It seems like Marvel were chasing Abrams to get him to write something, not the other way around, if the editorial in the back is anything to go by.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
december solicits

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems like Marvel were chasing Abrams to get him to write something, not the other way around, if the editorial in the back is anything to go by.

Even if that's true I doubt they were begging him to include his 20 year old kid as a collaborator.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

congrats to the new worst spider-man costume

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol the hulk solicit

quote:

Are your children normal? Are they respectful of you and other approved authority figures? Do they have a poster of the Punisher on their wall?

e: also, ironheart is not on the list

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 19, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Look how they massacred my boy. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when Marvel revamped all those guys so they wouldn't have to pay Rob royalties anymore?

They should do that again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Remember when Marvel revamped all those guys so they wouldn't have to pay Rob royalties anymore?
That's not why they did it.

They did it mostly because those books weren't selling very well, and not nearly "well enough" for an X-book. They straight up canceled the books doing even worse (X-Man, Generation X, I think Bishop and Gambit solo series) and because the Milligan/Allred version of X-Force was a critical hit and commercial semi-hit, basically went "maybe if they all get new #1s with an X in the title they'll do better!"

They didn't. They switched them back in just over a year. And I don't remember Agent X or Soldier X being very good.

But they could absolutely do it, they can do anything.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Parallax posted:

congrats to the new worst spider-man costume

Yeah what the hell

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah what the hell

It's Steampuke Spider-Man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chip Zdarsky is writing a Doom 2099 one shot. This is good news.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1174778153966997504

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i had no idea they briefly made cable into the guy from ghost in the shell

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Parallax posted:

i had no idea they briefly made cable into the guy from ghost in the shell

The guy from Ghost In The Shell had two arms. This is a guy with one arm and some metal lumps that hold a gun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks like agents of wakanda is the first book to use the new void-sentry. wonder how thats gonna play out

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
okay I don't usually read solicits but "God Loves, Moon Kills" is a fantastic joke and I love it

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I'm randomly picked up "Gwenpool Strikes Back" issues 1 and 2 because I like the idea of Gwenpool but unfortunately they forgot to make the books funny

I hear Immortal Hulk is a good series, plus he's traditionally been one of my favorite characters, although it sounds like they went in a very different direction (more horror than superhero)

Can anyone recommend any other good Marvel series?

I guess I should be more specific and say that I like thoughtful, creative comics that still fit the conventional action-adventure superhero story. It doesn't have to be a series where I could pick up the #1 at my local comic book shop (Fantom Comics in DC) but ideally something that would be accessible to someone who hasn't been into Marvel in awhile.

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 20, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just read any recent series by Chip Zdarsky

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Panama Red posted:

I'm randomly picked up "Gwenpool Strikes Back" issues 1 and 2 because I like the idea of Gwenpool but unfortunately they forgot to make the books funny

I hear Immortal Hulk is a good series, plus he's traditionally been one of my favorite characters, although it sounds like they went in a very different direction (more horror than superhero)

I guess I should be more spe,ific and say that I like thoughtful, creative comics that still fit the conventional action-adventure superhero story. It doesn't have to be a series where I could pick up the #1 at my local comic book shop (Fantom Comics in DC) but ideally something that would be accessible to someone who hasn't been into Marvel in awhile.

Unstoppable Wasp. Hasting's Gwenpool. Thompson's Hawkeye. But make Immortal Hulk your first pick, it's very, very good even if it is more of a horror book.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is good, the new Daredevil by Zdarsky as well, Black Cat is a lot of fun to read.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Panama Red posted:

I guess I should be more specific and say that I like thoughtful, creative comics that still fit the conventional action-adventure superhero story. It doesn't have to be a series where I could pick up the #1 at my local comic book shop (Fantom Comics in DC) but ideally something that would be accessible to someone who hasn't been into Marvel in awhile.

Squirrel Girl is one of my faves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does it have to be new? All new wolverine and unstoppable wasp vol 1 & 2

Also, read the original Gwenpool instead

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Panama Red posted:

House of X and Powers of X are two six issue series that are actually one twelve issue one that’s going to lead into the new X-Men books starting next month. You don’t need to read any previous stuff, and they’re loving wild. It’s a good time to get back into X-Men.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1174778157452484608?s=20

rip Ironheart

Also did they change back Spider-woman's costume or is that some cover disconnection

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah they changed it back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the writer said she liked the original costume and even cosplayed in it before so she has a personal attachment to it. It sucks because the new costume is so great but if the writer has a personal preference I can't really argue with that because she's a great writer.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 20, 2019

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Speaking of Spiderwoman costumes, is there a Spidey running around right now in the classic black and white outfit with the white thigh high boots and elbow length sleeves? I recall a villian sporting that some time back but I can't say for sure.

Just curious, I always liked that version.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, both Spider-Gwen & ASM continue to be great.

I'm pretty much 100% certain that Kindred is Harry Osborn at this point.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Speaking of Spiderwoman costumes, is there a Spidey running around right now in the classic black and white outfit with the white thigh high boots and elbow length sleeves? I recall a villian sporting that some time back but I can't say for sure.

Just curious, I always liked that version.
Anya Corazon/Arana/Spider-Girl is wearing a modified/updated version of that costume (I think without the boots/sleeves).

X-O posted:

Yeah the writer said she liked the original costume and even cosplayed in it before so she has a personal attachment to it. It sucks because the new costume is so great but if the writer has a personal preference I can't really argue with that because she's a great writer.

And plus, let's be honest, this book's probably not going to be around long (no matter how good it is, unfortunately) and the next writer will revert it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Liked Captain America this week. At least he's finally just kicking the poo poo out of bad guys after a bunch of wishy-washy writers.