Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ok is his tail actually coming out of his left side now or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Did you get that from the Patreon?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I am a spell designed to find what is lost and nothing more...But allow me to apologise for something.

Vv Classic Mookie

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ague Proof posted:

Did you get that from the Patreon?

Nah I'm just changing the url dates on the site to see it a few hours earlier. I don't think he uploads them to Patreon at all but if he did I wouldn't want to actively steal from the guy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So he’s just been standing next to that this whole time?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I can't wait to see how Snout passes directly through this "Blood Horror Canyon" without facing any danger or harm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Smart of Mookie to come up with a way to only have to draw half a page of stuff every update.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

So he’s just been standing next to that this whole time?

The Wild Edge just spawns whatever the plot needs right next to him.
Also I actually lol'd out loud at all the text on that paper.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why has Bort's monkey cheese spelling disappeared. Snout's house (rip) made sense because presumably he wrote that sign and can spell, but did he signpost the Blood Horror Canyon or did Bort?

Also drat that's a lazy rear end name for a supposedly horrifying location.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I like how every thing and place is labelled so that fans don't make up the wrong name for things that are in the original world the artist envisioned.

And also so that people understand what they're looking at because the art literally doesn't give you enough context sometimes, like it could have been spiky ink lane or something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

By the way his Twitter shows he's playing a lot of No Man's Sky so I'm betting any original ideas he has for the terrain, flora, and creatures of the wild edge are "inspired" by that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The sentient paper can read his mind, so Snout’s slathering it with messages like “DID THE INK WITCH SEND YOU TO FIND ME?” and “WHERE DO WE START TO LOOK FOR THE LOST PAGES?” purely for the benefit of the audience.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Are you suggesting that this comic has... Dialogue?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are you suggesting that this comic has... Dialogue?

It’s a bizarre loophole, but I believe this counts as a monologue.

The witch, the ship, and the paper can all evidently read his mind; so he’s not writing his thoughts out for them. He’s doing it for... himself?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't even think they anyone read his mind, Mookie just seems to forget that the characters don't all have the information he has.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Mookie’s never been super great at exposition. When he needed to explain what Bort (another (formerly) mute mongrelman) was doing at the final battle he just gave Bort the ability to talk and framed it as a joke. Now he’s got a character that’s explicitly mute and deaf, but he doesn’t see it as “how can I meet this writing challenge” and more like “how can I write around this”

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'd love to see a map of the wild edge where everything is just so together in like a square mile of land. Like what is even happening here, where is this canyon in reference to the lake or the cave or the trees.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

By the way, if you want to see a version of the same concept as the wild edge done right, read The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman. It's got absolutely amazing world building in addition to being a great book.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm not talking to you, I just so happen to be writing some words down. If you happen to write some words down, too, such that your words appear to be a response to mine, that isn't necessarily a dialogue. Maybe we're just having thoughts that happen to coincide in a way such that it would form a conversation? No, definitely not. That would be too much like dialogue.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It seems like the quarter-paragraph written on the two pages found so far would be pretty easily replaceable. Does the ink witch really need two pages with a sentence and a half on them?

Also, what does the pagefinder do if there isn't a person around who already has some pages and an arbitrary desire to collect them?

Does it just lay around hoping to be found and not used as toilet paper?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snout is a good guy so plot elements magnetically go towards him instead of him having to have any actual agency or spend any effort, duh

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

oriongates posted:

It seems like the quarter-paragraph written on the two pages found so far would be pretty easily replaceable. Does the ink witch really need two pages with a sentence and a half on them?

Also, what does the pagefinder do if there isn't a person around who already has some pages and an arbitrary desire to collect them?

Does it just lay around hoping to be found and not used as toilet paper?

Do you normally use random bits of paper you find lying around as toilet paper?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Let's not make this about me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair it's not like the Wild Edge has a Walvmart lying around for convenient paper.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

To be fair it's not like the Wild Edge has a Walvmart lying around for convenient paper.

At least not until Snout needs it for one comic.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hope you liked Friday's joke.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I was pretty close to saying "heh that's actually an alright joke" in the last comic. Glad it only took one more comic to run it into the ground yay.
E: I just looked at the previous comic again and am I supposed to think that between the pagefinder pointing the way and Snout arriving at the horror gorge of death horror, there was just a timeskip? Cause so far I assumed Snout was just coincidentally standing right next to it, but the former interpretation just mean the timeskip is communicated terribly instead of the geography being lovely.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Why would he stop and stare at the back of the sign in the last panel. ugh

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Baller Ina posted:

Why would he stop and stare at the back of the sign in the last panel. ugh

No that's a really big sign in the background and he's looking at the audience thus breaking the forth wall.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Toalpaz posted:

No that's a really big sign in the background and he's looking at the audience thus breaking the forth wall.

In a real comic I'd assume he's staring at the monster offscreen that bit the sign, and that we're going to get a splash page of it next strip.

This is Dominic Deegan though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wdarkk posted:

In a real comic I'd assume he's staring at the monster offscreen that bit the sign, and that we're going to get a splash page of it next strip.

This is Dominic Deegan though.

That final sign is rooted in a decent joke but the CAD level of signage somewhat ruins it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's not blood, the spikes ooze red velvet cake batter and nobody has been dumb enough to check for the difference

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A new source of mavpel svrup that's environmentally friendly to harvest at industrial levels.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Those are the wild edges

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I feel like you could legit salvage part of this with having it be revealed that Snout was actually the one writing both sides of that "conversation" with the blank page, due to insanity induced by being this deep in the Weird Magic poo poo That Makes No Sense section of the world.

Of course, this being Mookie, there's no chance whatsoever that could happen, and in fact Snout won't even see anything truly dangerous, unless it's attacking someone else. Also, any bets on how long until he reacts to a threat he hears, because Mookie didn't think his deafness through beyond "all dialog is written"?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure there will be some bland "horror" that he easily escapes from.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’m almost 100% certain we’ll see the horror and it’ll turn out to be small and harmless, but then on Friday it’ll reveal that it’s actually scary.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheHan posted:

I’m almost 100% certain we’ll see the horror and it’ll turn out to be small and harmless, but then on Friday it’ll reveal that it’s actually scary.

Yeah, that's one of Mookie's favorite cliches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, that's one of Mookie's favorite cliches.

Ha ha, remember when Monty Python did the rabbit? And it wasn't threatening, but then it was threatening? And killed people? Haha. We're doing that joke. Again.