Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you haven't read New Spring yet, Tor's giving it away as their free ebook of the month until 9/21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Calenth, I read your posts. Those stories are so cool and I’m insanely jealous. I know someone already asked you for more several years ago, but I’d still love to hear more. Did you ever partake in the indoor sports of poker, chess, pool, and/or pipe collecting with him?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are two alternate canonically valid interpretations of loial

I hope they do Loial as a muppet. Trollics and everything else can be CGI, but I need all ogiers to be muppets.

Im actually pretty excited for an abridged version of the WOT because there is a shitload of fat that can get cut out, looking at you Valan Luca.

Also, I really hope they flesh out the Black Tower more. I still feel like it was one of the biggest missed opportunities in the series, especially before the cleansing of Saidin.

I also wonder how they're gonna work in New Spring, they definitely can't do it first.

Oh, and they better loving give cameos to Micheal Kramer and Kate Reading

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 18, 2019

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'd be 100% okay with all non-humans in the show being done by the Henson company.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

The Glumslinger posted:

I also wonder how they're gonna work in New Spring, they definitely can't do it first.

My guess would be as interludes after Moiraine "dies" to keep her in the series until the end.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Reading everyone’s spoilers has made me realize I remember very little about the end of the series. I did a reread leading up to the last book, and then haven’t touched them again after finishing it. Maybe I’ll start a reread again soon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm doing a reread for the first time since the last book came out and holy wow is the style so different. But I'm echoing what's been said here or in the other thread and there's literally nothing to suggest that anyone is Caucasian in the village except for Rand. Everyone is described as dark in tone and complexion, dark hair, dark eyes. Rand is marked as the odd man out and no one seems particularly bothered by it but some lovely Coplins and Congars who get punched in the face for it and it's never brought up in Rand's childhood again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
By fantasy default most people still think they're European dark, so like, still white.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No no it’s their aura that’s dark, not their skin

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

That sounds great, cool that you had the chance to interact with him! I guess I should trawl that thread.

This last part though, the anime structure - I'm but an old retired weeb, so I'm not sure if I'm too young or too old for that similarity to become apparent, but I can't really see it. Like, what specific elements are you referring to with this? The way it kind of bounces around between the giant cast?

Read the sword fight Rand has with the Seanchan dude in Falme. It's anime as all hell, they practically yell the names of their attacks before they make them.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 20, 2019

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

Read the sword fight Rad has with the Seanchan dude in Falme. It's anime as all hell, they practically yell the names of their attacks before they make them.

I agree that it's anime as all hell, but I always pinned that on a mutual influence - that being actual Kung Fu/wushu/asian martial arts in general as well as the film and fiction that dramatized them to the American public in the mid 20th century.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I recall reading that the sword scenes are legit sword techniques

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I assumed all the sword techniques were funny made up names.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's probably both. They're clearly descriptive names of sword techniques but it's up to the reader to imagine what Parting the Silk or Heron Wading in the Rushes look like.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

This last part though, the anime structure - I'm but an old retired weeb, so I'm not sure if I'm too young or too old for that similarity to become apparent, but I can't really see it. Like, what specific elements are you referring to with this? The way it kind of bounces around between the giant cast?

Just off the top of my head:

Galad is bishounen

Avienda is tsundere

Tar Valon is a school for magical girls

Rand has three girlfriends, color-coded: one blonde, one redhead, and one brunette

The series took twenty-three years to finish

that's just off the top of my head

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

That has lesbian/Yuri subtext

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stormangel posted:

You can practically hear the OOOOOHOHOHOHOHO to this day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stormangel posted:

please we call them "pillow friends"

edit: oh, every magic user has a literal numeric power level; the protagonist has the maximum power level

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 19, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Stormangel posted:

Subtext?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Been waiting for this thread to pop up. I don't know about this Rafe guy. Casting is fine, it was funny to see, almost invariably, some Slavic-sounding last name dude bemoaning the Forced Diversification. There are a couple of physical things other than skin color that don't feel right to me, but they are minor. I have a pretty strong emotional connection to these books and characters, so I at least hope we get something adequate if not spectacular. I was always on the "Make it an Epic Anime " train.

Mostly I just hope the Seanchan sound like Texans and not the weird thing the (very good) audiobooks did.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Galad is bishounen

Avienda is tsundere

Rand has three girlfriends, color-coded: one blonde, one redhead, and one brunette

There is literally a thing in it called Sean-chan

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sean-chan is so dreamy.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

I don’t think it ever outright says that pillow friends have sex so I guess it’s kinda subtext.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Plorkyeran posted:

I don’t think it ever outright says that pillow friends have sex so I guess it’s kinda subtext.

If it was a straight couple you wouldn't say the relationship was subtext

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galad is bishounen

Avienda is tsundere

There must be an anime term for Gawyn's particular strand of stupidity.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

There must be an anime term for Gawyn's particular strand of stupidity.

Protagonist

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i have decided to murder robert jordan

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Death of the author indeed

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fauna posted:

i have decided to murder robert jordan

Can I borrow your time machine when you've finished with it?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Rumda posted:

Can I borrow your time machine when you've finished with it?
it can only be used once

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

drat, it's impossible to like more than one kind of thing, you've really opened my eyes

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it is done. he is dead

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In terms of economy of storytelling they could parcel out his impact to the other characters, but I sincerely hope not because the infinitely layered onion that is the badassery of Thom Merrilin is one of the pure joys of the books.

How popular are do-over fantasies in general? I guess there's a distinction in really bad wish-fulfillment where the character goes back in time to fix specific things, bone their sister, and get rich off the stock market, but the WoT one is a lot more philosophical than that. Also, Rand bones a distant/distaff cousin.

Do over fantasies are huge in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese media, mostly recently in web comics and litnovels.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Rumda posted:

If it was a straight couple you wouldn't say the relationship was subtext

There wouldn’t be a cutesy euphemism involved if it was a straight couple.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well gently caress. I got into these books in undergrad like 12 years ago and now this thread has caused me to buy The Eye of the World on kindle.

Here's to the $130 I'm inevitably going to spend on that poo poo over the next year.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

How are u posted:

Well gently caress. I got into these books in undergrad like 12 years ago and now this thread has caused me to buy The Eye of the World on kindle.

Here's to the $130 I'm inevitably going to spend on that poo poo over the next year.

I'm planning on skipping books 6-9 myself, and probably a good bit of 5 if necessary. There's wiki summaries if I just can't handle it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Book 6 is the worst one to skip. It probably has the best last quarter of a book with Dumai's Well.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
6 is good. Skip 8-10 if you are going to skip anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
As bad as it makes this series look, we probably should compile a list of chapters worth reading in books 7,8,9 and 10.