Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Troy Queef posted:

(clears throat)

Bokke.

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i was promised an explanation of Pods and i got a youtube video referencing them but i want more Pod Learning

so i got the impression it's the groups you arrange your forwards in across the field, like 1-2-2-2-1 or 2-3-3-2 or whatever. i forget the total number it adds up to. what number does it add up to, and what do different arrangements signify? i'm guessing the side-members of the pods jump in on the sides of the middle-podster in the ruck(?) after the tackle and help win the ball back quickly. what role do non-forwards play in this? to what degree am i simply Wrong?

i have a wallabies hat and nobody cares about this in the usa and ive got relatives down there too so im a wallabies fan for this tournament. i like new zealand in cricket - i've got my poo poo all hosed up

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

Even I'm qualified to play for Scotland.

I'm qualified to play for Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland by grandparents.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

i was promised an explanation of Pods and i got a youtube video referencing them but i want more Pod Learning

so i got the impression it's the groups you arrange your forwards in across the field, like 1-2-2-2-1 or 2-3-3-2 or whatever. i forget the total number it adds up to. what number does it add up to, and what do different arrangements signify? i'm guessing the side-members of the pods jump in on the sides of the middle-podster in the ruck(?) after the tackle and help win the ball back quickly. what role do non-forwards play in this? to what degree am i simply Wrong?

i have a wallabies hat and nobody cares about this in the usa and ive got relatives down there too so im a wallabies fan for this tournament. i like new zealand in cricket - i've got my poo poo all hosed up

It’s coming my good dude

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I listen to a lot of football podcasts but never found a decent rugby one. Any one have any recommendations?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Blood and Mud. For YouTube, Squidge and 1014

They could all go in the OP if you wanted

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bigfoot again posted:

All non Maori New Zealanders should be made to play for Scotland imo

I'm qualified for Scotland and Italy... FML

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Said I would do this so here goes. An effortpost on attacking structure and pods. Or, how to watch rugby more better.

I’m gonna go ahead and assume you know what a ruck is

Tyma posted:

When the player with the ball is tackled to the ground, both teams crowd around him and form a Big Pushing Contest.

You’re going to hear a lot about Ball Carriers, Line Speed, and the Rush Defence at this World Cup. Here’s why:

So set pieces - scrums and lineouts- are the main times for teams to execute pre-planned set moves. For the rest of the game, the ebb and flow of rugby is all about the rucks. Defences have to decide whether to commit players to the ruck, trying to slow the ball down or even steal it - or to keep those players in the defensive line, giving up possession and trusting your tacklers.

Generally, 15 defenders is more than enough to cover a rugby pitch, so the attacking side has to try and get the defence out of position. The easiest way to do this is is to get a runner over the Gain Line, which is generally the back foot of the opponents’ ruck. This means the defenders have to backtrack to stay onside, so it’s harder for them to charge up in your face. So break the gain line, recycle the ball quickly from the ensuing ruck before the defence can reset itself, and look for gaps. Current wisdom is that you have about Two Seconds to get the ball out of a ruck after a line break before the defence can reset. Two Seconds or less is called Quick Ball, and it’s what everyone wants. But a lot of the time, you don’t get quick ball. The best flankers in the world are expert at semi-legally slowing down the ball, holding it in the ruck for a second while their teammates reorganise. Slow ball is when you’re most likely to see the attacking team use Pods, thought they’re also part of the general structure of the game.

So in the good old days when men were men and international rugby players were also solicitors and thoracic surgeons, attacking meant give the ball to the backs and they would Pass it Down the Line to the Fast Guy. Devastating flashy moves included the Miss One, the Miss Two, the Switch, and Bringing the Full Back into the Line. If you’ve played low level social rugby, you’re probably familiar with this style of play but it used to be what everyone did. The forwards would chase the ball over the pitch then all pile into the ruck when you’re smallest fastest barrister/RAF sergeant got tackled.

Obviously it’s pretty inefficient to have your forwards run in after the ball all day. Especially when your forwards were twenty stone off-duty policemen. These days, because of better coaching and law changes, you only really need to commit two or three players to most rucks to win the ball, so it makes more sense to spread your forwards across the pitch in little groups, so they’ll already be there when the ball arrives. But modern pods do more than this. Here’s are the 1014 guys looking at a nice picture of some pods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssR2YbQAQM&t=231s

So a Pod is a group of 2-3 forwards, usually with a ball handler just in front or behind -your 10, 12, and sometimes 15 (see New Zealand). The video shows a 1-3-3-1 formation - instead of a line of backs, you have groups of 3 forwards each with a back behind them. One forward will carry the ball, the other two will immediately win the ruck to get Quick Ball for the next attack. Two pods to hit the ball up, and a forward on each wing to help out when the ball goes wide (this way if your wing gets tackled there's someone there to win the ball quickly/a lazy bastard to loiter all game and then steal all the glory). This is why Kieran Read and Dane Coles scores so many tries on the wing, incidentally.

So the 9 can either pass to the forwards in the pod, or to the 10 behind them. On slow ball, you’ll pass it to the big feller up front, he will have a charge and try to get over the gain line (hence Ball Carriers). When he’s tackled, he has two forwards with him to hit the ruck and try and get the ball out within that magic two seconds. And then the second pod is in position to do the same again.

The best way to stop this is for the defence to charge up like loving lunatics and collide with the ball carrier as hard as possible. This is not good for your brain but it works. This is called having good Line Speed.

But wait! Once the defence has focused on the ball carrier, he can pop a pass Out the Back to the ball handler behind him, who will chuck it wide while the defence is still committed to the narrow carrier. Brodie Retallick and Kyle Sinckler are really good at this kind of out the back pass. The idea is, the defence has to stay narrow to focus on the three huge cunts charging at them, so there should be space out wide. Often the 10 will tell the ball carrier whether to charge or pass it back, so the grunt doesn’t have to think, just show off his sweet sweet handling skills.

So when you try to get the ball wide, the defence will often send a couple of players charging up to cut off the wide pass in midfield. This is the second part of the Rush Defence and it seems super risky but Ireland and South Africa in particular have honed it to an art. It’s the one tactic that’s given the All Blacks trouble in recent years, which is why they’re now playing an extra ball handler at full back - to get round the rush defence. But generally the best way to beat the rush defence is just to have massive loving ball carriers hump it over the gainline to stop the defence from charging up. This is why England have a chance to win this World Cup, but only if Tuilagi and the Vunipolas stay healthy. Those guys are very very nasty ball carriers.

Examples!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926MDAqzkbI&t=115s

Here at 1.55 England go left to Jamie George at the head of a pod. They win the ruck quickly and go the other way to a pod led by Tuilagi. Ireland have to focus on Tuilagi so he pops the ball out the back to Farrell. This forces Stockdale to come up into the line to cover; Daly chips into the space he just left, and they score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRx3KrQ83mc&t=28s
At 0.28 Kyle Sinckler at the head of the pod draws in the defence and then shows sweet sweet hands out the back. Sam Johnson tries to rush out to cut off the pass but he absolutely fucks it and England have space out wide and eventually score.
4.21 same video Farrell has a midfield pod running outside him but he telegraphs the pass and Finn Russell intercepts and scores.
Then at 5.21 the Scotland defence is absolutely knackered but the final nail is England run a big forward pod close to the ruck. The Scotland defence stays tight to stop it but Genge fires a nice pass out the back to Ford who runs in untouched to ruin the greatest comeback in the history of ever.

So yeah basically a pod
1. Pre-spreads your forwards to be where the ball will be
2. Creates carrying units to try and break the gain line before winning the ball back quickly
3. Keeps the defence guessing whether the ball will go narrow or wide

I find watching this game makes a lot more sense if I can identify the attacking pods - then you can see the decision a players are making - give the ball to the charging pod or use them as a decoy and chuck it wide. There are variations but this is the general gist. Hope that makes some sense. If you see something wrong then shout.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Reminder that it's been exactly 4 years since this glorious day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghArmsJjQM

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

Oh hello Tomasso Allan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm qualified for Canada and South Africa but I am not as cool as DTH van der Merwe.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Georgia

Georgia is one of the better not good nations in world rugby, and have taken Italy's status as "associate nation most likely to be ruined by joining the Five Six Seven Nations". The rugby team is nicknamed the Lelos as that's the name of the local brand of Calvinball. They have some proud moments, such as beating Tonga in their opening match of the 2015 world cup, and far more importantly doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRQmrrAyBk against New Zealand in a later pool match.

Most of their players play in France, which therefore means I know next to nothing about them, so see below for some quality Youtube/wikipaedia based scouting. Incidentally, they are probably the least favoured team by the commentator community at the world cup, owning to easy to pronounce names such as Giorgi Tkhilaishvili and Tamaz Mchedlidze.

Forwards
As far as playing style goes, Georgia are expert producers of Big Lads. Notable Big Lads include:

Mamuka Gorgodze for whom you can just read the Italian entry for Sergio Parisse and replace the names and position (Gorgodze is a lock). He's back in the side for one last hurrah after his successor got injured. Please try not to confuse him with Beka Gorgadze or Otari Giorgadze.

Beka Gorgadze, a No8 who the Guardian reckon is their star most likely to have a breakout at the tournament. Who am I to argue with the Guardian?

Levan Chilachava, who I include as he perfectly embodies Georgian rugby by being a 21 stone prop. May well have eaten an incautious back after training one day

Backs
Little, runny-about lads are less favoured in the team, but they do have some.

Tedo Abzhandadze is their fly half. He is young, has evident star quality and plays in France. If you guessed that this makes him wildly inconsistent, congratulations! You understand French rugby. Still, he can do stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAImqrj8E8, though please do note the running it out from practically standing on the dead ball line, and imagine how well that'll go in senior rugby.

Fixtures

Georgia grace pool D with Australia, Wales, Uruguay and Fiji

This is probably unfortunate for them, but it should be great for us. Fiji-Georgia in particular promises to a festival of wildly overelaborate passing, borderline filthy tackling and props blowing chunks in the middle of the field before halftime. As their first match is against Wales, it also seems very likely Georgia will take the prized Dragonslayer award given to the team that inevitably critically injures a key Welsh player and ruins their world cup. Current holders Uruguay are also in this pool, which promises to be entertaining.

A final note, they have Graham Rowntree and Joe Worsley on their coaching staff, which I worry may causing Englanding by proxy.

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 19, 2019

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Kick off is about 4 and a half hours away. Just in case people needed to know this information.

Not sure what the opening ceremony will be like but, hopefully, they are sticking to around 20 minutes or so. Honestly I am getting sick of the Olympics and their bloated openers and may the RWC never try to approach them.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Kick off is about 4 and a half hours away. Just in case people needed to know this information.

Not sure what the opening ceremony will be like but, hopefully, they are sticking to around 20 minutes or so. Honestly I am getting sick of the Olympics and their bloated openers and may the RWC never try to approach them.

My ticket says opening ceremony starts at 18:30 and kickoff at 19:45 Japan time; not sure how much time they’ll give players the field for warmup or if they have them warming up on a practice pitch, but being Japan I wouldn’t hope for a short ceremony.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Can't believe I promised to help some friends and completely forgot when kick off was :emo: Set my alarm for 5am for tomorrow though!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I do love tournaments in Japan, 8.30am weekend starts are amazing

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’ve got one of my good mates coming around tomorrow. We’ve got the Aussie game, then France - Aregentina and then the All Blacks. It’s an amazing time zone for Australia. Sport from 2:30pm, beers, bbq! I’m so goddamn excited!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Georgia are my absolute second tier team, they just give it such a good go

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

lenoon posted:

Georgia are my absolute second tier team, they just give it such a good go

I was really happy when I drew them. The combination of Extremely Large Boys and backs that do the Full France is extremely my jam

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Madkal posted:

I'm qualified for Canada and South Africa but I am not as cool as DTH van der Merwe.

This is a sad fact of life for many people.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rugby :woop:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

bigfoot again posted:

Really cool effortpost
Thanks, this owns.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thank god Scottie Stevenson is here to explain Japanese culture for me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I wish there were an option to turn the commentary off for this

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Japanese kids singing World In Union, it's on. It's started. It has begun.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

BOD, Wilkinson, and Warburton on ITV. This might be the nicest pundit team ever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rumours swirling that Howley isn't the only one mixed up in the betting scandal.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Snitches get stitches, Howley .

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Standing on Tatami mats with their suit shoes. Absolutely shocking display.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Stuck in work but I'll be sneakily watching at my desk, just hope this RWC matches that stellar loving OP.

So how many points will Russia concede here, 60?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

bessantj posted:

Rumours swirling that Howley isn't the only one mixed up in the betting scandal.

IS THAT HARRY ELLIS' MUSIC?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

oystertoadfish posted:

i have a wallabies hat and nobody cares about this in the usa and ive got relatives down there too so im a wallabies fan for this tournament.

There are over 125,000 registered players in the US and the old boys club I play with currently has two sides on tour in Japan. They'll each play three games against other touring old boys clubs and attend several world cup matches.

Use this link to find a club near you and go watch rugby live.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Russia have come to play.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Japan not woken up yet

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

:ussr:

full back would probably have wanted to catch that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Lol

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
He wasn't even close to catching that :doh:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Welp

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

nice offload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Messy but this might actually be a fun game.