Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the only thing that felt like an 80’s gonzo movie with all the consumerism commentary and the green acid ooze, weird terminator guy...just pure silly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

It just goes to show you that if you want your film to still have an effect on people a century later you should include a scene in which a bunch of grannies kiss Satan on his butthole.

Well thank god the tape of my high school graduation is worth something

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

Season 3 was big loud and goofy and I loved every second.

I mean, yeah. It's because Season 2 was so boring that I welcomed Season 3 with open arms. I just wanted those characters I loved from Season 1 doing anything interesting, gently caress it, make it a dumb 80's parody sitcom I don't care just give me more Steve and Dustin.

Yeah, I can see where some people would hate it but it felt like the writers, cast and crew just having a good time and I dug it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think I watched Beyond The Black Rainbow tonight. There's no way to say for certain.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Stranger Things 2 more than most, but yeah 3 is just a response to the feedback from 2 and is fun.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I give Sleepy Hollow credit for how loving weird it is. At times it almost seems to actively rebel against being likable or tonality coherent, jumping from Johnny Depp slapstick to child murder at a whim.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Lurdiak posted:

Dead By Daylight takes things that own and makes them boring as hell.

I tried to like it but survivor gameplay mostly revolves around waiting, and it feels like you need to invest a lot of time in getting good at a killer before it's any fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think I watched Beyond The Black Rainbow tonight. There's no way to say for certain.

It’s great. It perfectly recreates the experience of turning on some weird-rear end movie partway through on the sci-fi channel or uhf on a hot summer late at night when you’re 12 and you can’t quite follow the plot but remember disjointed scenes really clearly. Everything perfectly captures that off-kilter feeling of watching Prince of Darkness or Evil Dead or something and not getting quite how it all hangs together while trying to make sense of what you’re seeing at 2:00am and don’t have school the next day.

I want to argue that’s the deal with the stinger of the sentionaut toy sitting on shag carpet while a tv in the background plays audio from the movie—that it’s all somebody’s garbled memory of a movie seen in childhood, meant to set a mood. That’s just an affective thing, and maybe personal to me only, but it kept me rapt through the whole thing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Franchescanado posted:

Big advice for this: make sure you're aware of your audiences limits. I have certain friends that can't handle young children being killed, I know people that can't come back from a dog dying, I try to avoid films with explicit rape or sexual assault, etc.

It's common sense advice, but if you're trying to get people into horror, you don't want to kill any trust, or you'll never win them over.

Another thing to keep in mind with categories and stuff is think about the tone as well. Show your friends different shades of horror. Return of the Living Dead, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?, and In The Mouth of Madness have all been major favorites with my horror group, but they feel completely different from each other. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? was one of the most disturbing movies I've shown to a few people in my group, and there's no real onscreen violence in the entire film, but I had one friend have to leave the room for a few during In The Mouth of Madness because a scene freaked them out too much.

It's been a little over two years from when I started a similar thing. Half of my friend group hadn't seen, like, 90% of the must-see horror films, a few of them outright disliked the genre, so I started Spooky Night as a challenge to win them over. Now we do them almost bi-monthly.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? is the best movie that I never want to see again because it makes me feel so utterly miserable and uncomfortable. It's a fantastically made movie and I'm glad it exist, but it just triggers the worst feelings (which is the point of the film, but still).

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Everyone should watch Demon Knight. Everyone. It is one of the best movies. It was so good that Billy Zane could never top it and faded into obscurity/semi-retirement.

Edit: I was a full page behind. Either way. Watch Demon Knight. Bordello of Blood is Just Ok™ and you can skip Ritual altogether.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Hell House 3 dropped on Shudder. Let's see if they can redeem themselves for 2.

edit: Nope.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 20, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Untrustable posted:

Everyone should watch Demon Knight.

This movie is insanely good imo and is a blast from start to finish. I show this movie to so many people no matter their tastes in movies or whatever and it has never not been a huge hit.

If you haven't seen it don't even ready anything more about it it's even better the more blind you go in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, yeah. It's because Season 2 was so boring that I welcomed Season 3 with open arms. I just wanted those characters I loved from Season 1 doing anything interesting, gently caress it, make it a dumb 80's parody sitcom I don't care just give me more Steve and Dustin.

Yeah, I can see where some people would hate it but it felt like the writers, cast and crew just having a good time and I dug it.

Yeah I'm in the minority in that I liked season 2, but so much of it was a retread of the first, and you were never going to have a mystery kind of thing work after the straight up excellent season 1 had happened. Season 3 embraced the silliness to the max and was the better for it if they were out of ideas for how to do something dangerous feeling again, I love it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I'm in the minority in that I liked season 2, but so much of it was a retread of the first, and you were never going to have a mystery kind of thing work after the straight up excellent season 1 had happened. Season 3 embraced the silliness to the max and was the better for it if they were out of ideas for how to do something dangerous feeling again, I love it.

I also think S3 captured that feeling of being a teen well the same way S1 captured that feeling of being a kid. S2 basically had the kids in that weird awkward phase in between when you realize girls actually are the opposite of gross (or you know, whatever made you want to stop playing with toys and start looking nicer).

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie is insanely good imo and is a blast from start to finish. I show this movie to so many people no matter their tastes in movies or whatever and it has never not been a huge hit.

If you haven't seen it don't even ready anything more about it it's even better the more blind you go in.

Hell yeah. My Scream Factory special edition is making the rounds through the movie lending club thing I started at work. In return I borrowed Us and the new Pet Semetary. I have not watched the latter yet.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I bought Predator at the thrift store for .99 today and that will be my first watch of the challenge. I’ve never seen it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

T3hRen3gade posted:

Dolls loving rules.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

escape artist posted:

Hell House 3 dropped on Shudder. Let's see if they can redeem themselves for 2.

edit: Nope.

lol, god drat it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IT: Part 2 is alright I guess.

Can't believe they chickened out on the gargantuan intergalactic turtle god

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading IT and holy poo poo does King love having white characters talk in a black stereotype voice. It happens even more often than weird sex stuff. I thought it was part of some kind of statement about the 50s, but I think he just thinks it’s funny.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheBizzness posted:

I bought Predator at the thrift store for .99 today and that will be my first watch of the challenge. I’ve never seen it.

What the hell? Also Predator is 95% action maybe 5% horror. It's a classic

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just stay away from The Predator (2018) which is 100% HORRIBLE.

Predator 2 is incredible though. I'd argue it's an ur-90s movie influence-wise and also one of the best comic book movies ever made. You can see how influential it was on 90s extreme comics especially.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Kvlt! where's my personally curated recommendation >:(

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I got to see One Cut of the Dead in theaters last night. My crowd was small but way into it, probably my best theater experience since Mandy.

Definitely check it out when you get a chance.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah 3 is much better than 2 if only for Steve being in that goofy-rear end sailor outfit the entire season.

:yeah:

I think I just want a spinoff called Stranger Steves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

Just stay away from The Predator (2018) which is 100% HORRIBLE.

Predator 2 is incredible though. I'd argue it's an ur-90s movie influence-wise and also one of the best comic book movies ever made. You can see how influential it was on 90s extreme comics especially.

I bought the 4 movie boxed set of UHDs, and yeah, I haven't even bothered with Predators or The Predator. OG Predator and Predator 2 are both bangers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Kvlt! is like our teenage son, and as such he can be flaky sometimes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think it's 100% worth watching The Predator (2018) just because it's the perfect example of a poorly edited movie.

Like if you ever want to show someone what an editor does in a movie, and what it looks like when editing is bad, boot up The Predator - a movie in which entire subplots just disappear without resolution, characters appear in locations with no continuity for how they got there, and a major villain is killed in a cut so short you can literally sneeze and miss it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm not even sure what to think anymore at this point. After the last TCM films I figured the franchise had gone into retirement.

https://moviesandmania.com/2019/09/20/new-texas-chainsaw-massacre-movie-in-development/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not even sure what to think anymore at this point. After the last TCM films I figured the franchise had gone into retirement.

https://moviesandmania.com/2019/09/20/new-texas-chainsaw-massacre-movie-in-development/

ughhhhhhhhhh why is it that when other franchises are rebooted terribly, they die forever (NoES, F13)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I totally called this. Everyone praise me for accurately predicting that a popular movie with many remakes would have a remake

Blast Fantasto posted:

What's the next big thing for horror?

Revivals of 70s/80s/90s franchises. Everyone is going to be chasing that Halloween money. I think in the next 5 years you'll see new, theatrically released:

- Candyman (obviously)
- Child's Play (obviously)
- Friday the 13th
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Texas Chain Saw (again, somehow)

I'll throw a curveball in there and say someone will do a new Scream too. Some of these will be reboots, others continuations like what Halloween did.

Seriously though "direct sequel to the original" is going to be the big thing for the next few years.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think it's 100% worth watching The Predator (2018) just because it's the perfect example of a poorly edited movie.

Stunningly so. The worst edited major studio movie i'd seen in a long minute.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Stunningly so. The worst edited major studio movie i'd seen in a long minute.

The one particular death is just astounding. I cannot believe that made it into the final edit. I don't think I'll ever be able to respect Shane Black as a director after that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The one particular death is just astounding. I cannot believe that made it into the final edit. I don't think I'll ever be able to respect Shane Black as a director after that.

I mean it struck me as a studio hatchet job, I don't think he's to blame for the horrendous editing.

The script, on the other hand...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean it struck me as a studio hatchet job, I don't think he's to blame for the horrendous editing.

The script, on the other hand...

I guess I just assume that Black had a hand in the editing room. Like, what about that particular scene would've caused the studio to want to step in and mandate a terrible edit? Maybe they gave Black a required runtime and he had to make painful cuts as a result but drat dude, that was not the right place to shave off 2 or 3 seconds.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don’t think that’s true. The first big action scene is pure action schlock but the other 2/3rds of the movie are basically a slasher, especially the last act. This is not counting the amazing but ridiculous spray all our ammo into the jungle scene. But even that and many other scenes are tearing down action hero tropes and exposing them with a clearly horror-based movie monster villain.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading IT and holy poo poo does King love having white characters talk in a black stereotype voice. It happens even more often than weird sex stuff. I thought it was part of some kind of statement about the 50s, but I think he just thinks it’s funny.

I was reading the supposedly best collection of his short stories and boy howdy it was something to read a character described as having 'negroid lips'.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I just assume that Black had a hand in the editing room. Like, what about that particular scene would've caused the studio to want to step in and mandate a terrible edit? Maybe they gave Black a required runtime and he had to make painful cuts as a result but drat dude, that was not the right place to shave off 2 or 3 seconds.

From what I understand, the studio mandated an entirely new third act. If we're thinking of the same death, it's a really obvious case where they couldn't get the original actor in for the reshoots and just cobbled together a death from what they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The first act of the movie is all chopped up too, to cut around the sexual assaulter in the movie - pretty sure that was done weeks before the movie came out.