Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Necrothatcher posted:

They seem like they genuinely get on - Mads surprised Kojima on his birthday with a cake he baked for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Better question, does Mads need to be high to enjoy Kojima’s company?

That's not a better question... it's not even a good question. I think you need to get your rear end kicked brother.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching the translated gameplay from TGS, it's either a bad translation or Kojima might have let slip that there's going to be a femshep kind of thing with the Sam character. Sam is a pretty androgynous name after all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bedshaped posted:

Watching the translated gameplay from TGS, it's either a bad translation or Kojima might have let slip that there's going to be a femshep kind of thing with the Sam character. Sam is a pretty androgynous name after all.

Probably a bad translation, Japanese is a largely gender neutral language since current Japanese evolved from a version of the language that used different inflections based on whether the speaker was a man or a woman.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder how large the map will be. It would be a very Kojima thing if the map is the actual size of the United States, and the only way to reach the west coast is if everyone works together.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I hadn't seen the translation yet, there's more little details than I realised.
- scanning the environment shows slippery areas and places where you will trip,
- the packages you drop when tripping depends on how you secured them in the packing/loadout screen.
- using equipment placed by other people requires you to be within the chiral network.
- you can see other people's footprints, and if more people follow the same path it forms a more permanent track (not sure if on the map or in the world)
- you can get better at playing the harmonica over time, if you don't have one you whistle, and can get better at that too.
- Kojima wants players to take a break when Sam rests, 'they are connected like that, too'.
- enemy scans detect your cargo specifically, bases you raid contain cargo that was stolen from you and other players,
you can swap out stuff at camps to leave for others
- there are different exo-skeletons for things like fast movement or high carry capacity
- cargo can be transported in trucks, there are 'Bridges' brand trucks
- the floating BTs can't see you, but can hear you, hence the holding your breath mechanic
- the lion enemy in BT land is not the Hunter, it is a type of Catcher. Catchers are the ones who eat you and cause void outs. "This is one of the weaker ones" :stare:
- BT weapons are infused with Sam's blood. The ones that stain the Catcher a whitish colour are apparently made from his excrement, so I guess the toilet
at the safe house is actually a crafting station

Also, 'Let's have an energy drink, this is a collaboration with Monster-san".

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 18, 2019

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mads looks like a cooler dad version of Vladimir Putin and it always catches me off guard.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TheMostFrench posted:

- BT weapons are infused with Sam's blood. The ones that stain the Catcher a whitish colour are apparently made from his excrement, so I guess the toilet

i've been dropping in and out and i havent watched the streams cause kojima told me not to but i just did a double take right now at this. thought people were doing a meme joke or something. :eyepop:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

TheMostFrench posted:

So... peeing on monsters is a valid tactic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ymgve posted:

I wonder how large the map will be. It would be a very Kojima thing if the map is the actual size of the United States, and the only way to reach the west coast is if everyone works together.

I was gonna say I don't know how that would work with the game's progression and story.

But after the mgs5 nukes I could see him doing something like that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just wanna grow fields of mushrooms with piss

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm irrationally upset about the loving monster thing. I guess something like that was in mgs 4 iirc but it feels very out of place here

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gay Horney posted:

I'm irrationally upset about the loving monster thing. I guess something like that was in mgs 4 iirc but it feels very out of place here

i mean there are still gonna be dude baddies and baddie based combat.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Gay Horney posted:

Metal Gears were just robot monsters. Black goo monster doesn’t seem all that unusual.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean there are still gonna be dude baddies and baddie based combat.

He’s talking about the energy drink

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Reminder that Doritos and Mountain Dew were in the Japanese version of Peace Walker.

edit: lol Axe body spray too!

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

i agree, Red Bull's brand identity would make it a way better fit for the game's thematic elements

Red Bull pays people lots of money to jump off of satellites, Monster sponsors music festivals like the "carolina rebellion", not sure what kojima is thinking here

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

friendly 2 da void posted:

i agree, Red Bull's brand identity would make it a way better fit for the game's thematic elements

Red Bull pays people lots of money to jump off of satellites, Monster sponsors music festivals like the "carolina rebellion", not sure what kojima is thinking here

He needed the funding to pay for his actor friends to star in his movie game.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

thanks TheMostFrench. great to read that meme about Kojima paying actors to be his friend for the 50,000th time. keep it up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Just because they're his friends doesn't mean he doesn't need to pay them an appropriate advertising-funded salary for doing work for him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

thanks TheMostFrench. great to read that meme about Kojima paying actors to be his friend for the 50,000th time. keep it up.

Lol “meme”

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

No I said he needed money to pay his friends, who are actors, for doing work with him. Did paying people for work become a meme recently?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol “meme”

GENE
SCENE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kojima definitely wants to gently caress Norman Reedus.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

The energy drink wars are real. Monster has been making a huge push in Japan for the past 3-4 years.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

We always drank Red Bull Monster Energy Drink!

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
if I buy a cheap/used PS4 or PS4 slim and play this on my computer monitor will I have a good time, or is a PS4 pro recommended? I don't own a TV, so 4k and stuff like that isn't important to me.

this is the one game that is going to make me buy a console that isn't a Nintendo.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Martian Manfucker posted:

if I buy a cheap/used PS4 or PS4 slim and play this on my computer monitor will I have a good time, or is a PS4 pro recommended? I don't own a TV, so 4k and stuff like that isn't important to me.

this is the one game that is going to make me buy a console that isn't a Nintendo.

It uses the same engine as horizon zero Dawn which performs fine on a regular PS4 but no one can give you an informed answer until it's released.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If the price difference with the pro is huge, then you would be fine with the slim. Being a PS4 exclusive ensures that the game will be optimized for the machine.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
There’s no exclusive good enough to cast the deciding vote between a slim or a pro. I own a pro and it’s great but just get a slim if you’re getting a ps4 for exclusives.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

As much asI want to play this, I’ll at least wait for reviews between the slim and pro. If the game chugs even on a Pro, I might be okay waiting for a PS5 or PC port. How important the asymmetric multiplayer is will be a factor too. Like I missed out on Dark Souls at release and I’m sure it was crazy different and more fun then. If the multiplayer is super minor, then I can lean towards waiting.

I hate console exclusives that bridge (lol) gen gaps. MGS5 avoided this with a PC version.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

As much asI want to play this, I’ll at least wait for reviews between the slim and pro. If the game chugs even on a Pro, I might be okay waiting for a PS5 or PC port. How important the asymmetric multiplayer is will be a factor too. Like I missed out on Dark Souls at release and I’m sure it was crazy different and more fun then. If the multiplayer is super minor, then I can lean towards waiting.

I hate console exclusives that bridge (lol) gen gaps. MGS5 avoided this with a PC version.

Even 5 had to make a lot of cuts since it's a ps3 game

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ll just do what I normally do, buy the game at release, play it through, the pick up the super deluxe edition for the ps5 when it gets released and play maybe five minutes of it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Well, I shouldn’t compare. MGS5 released over 2 years after the PS4 gen started. It was weird it had PS3 and XB360 versions.

I can’t imagine DS won’t very quickly be on PS5, if not a launch title. My concerns are frame rate and load times.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Whatever else you can criticise Kojima for, his games are usually rock solid technically, so I reckon base PS4 will be fine. It'll probably sound like a jet engine lifting off though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Look Sir Droids posted:

If the game chugs even on a Pro

It's the same engine as Horizon Zero Dawn which ran perfectly even on a regular PS4. It's not going to chug at all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Based on what I've seen the game's not that performance intensive. The graphics are incredible but the world is pretty desolate and the action stuff is probably pretty contained in smaller setpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm planning to just rent a PS4 Pro for how many weeks it takes to get the full DS experience and then buy it on PC later on.