Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Was having a reread and came by the thread, I am.. cautiously optimistic that the show will be good.

The vigilante lady Sybil bit is... Not encouraging, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am going to wait for it to suck before declaring that it sucks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trin Tragula posted:

I am going to wait for it to suck before declaring that it sucks.

Same. This thread is getting a bit "Spot the Alzheimer's" again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is going to be great lol.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Adjusting the pacing and such to work better on screen is one thing, but changing characters where they resemble the original in name only doesn’t sit well with me.

Like heck do we even know if Angua is still a werewolf. :downs:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just a reminder that unless you have a narrator going on all the time (which would suck), characters that in a book rely on extremely heavy explanation of inner workings, background, etc. (so, basically every major Discworld character aside from Vetinari who's just a cookie-cutter stereotype) to be sympathetic to the reader, don't translate as such to cinema.

So to have any appeal to viewers who haven't read the books, many characters will have to be changed considerably.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, they start filming in South Africa in less than 2 weeks, and unless they’ve built a massive set, it’s not really known for its medieval/Elizabethan architecture.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They build hobbiton and minas tirith in new zealand, they can build ankh morpork in south africa. :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ankh Morpork is always described as such a ramshackle shitbox of whatever the occupants of a district need built upon whatever the previous ones needed that they can do pretty much anything with the city itself imo.

I'm not exactly enthused by some of the descriptions of characters so far but those descriptions are always the most generic things anyway. I'll watch when the show comes out and make a judgement then. There is a bit of a feeling with it being in development hell for so long though, I wonder if the sudden movement is someone was holding it up for a long time and eventually they've just thrown their hands up and gone "oh bloody hell, fine, we can do it that way".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Can't wait to meet Nobby Nobbs, the dashing adventurer with a dark secret

EDIT: and his best friend, Sgt Colon, 5 time Anhk-Morepork weightlifting champ and part time opera singer

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Ankh Morpork is always described as such a ramshackle shitbox of whatever the occupants of a district need built upon whatever the previous ones needed that they can do pretty much anything with the city itself imo.
That's just Morpork.

Ankh is an entirely different city. They just happen to share a couple of bridges, and a patrician.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this will be worse than the rook adaptation

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just a reminder that unless you have a narrator going on all the time (which would suck), characters that in a book rely on extremely heavy explanation of inner workings, background, etc. (so, basically every major Discworld character aside from Vetinari who's just a cookie-cutter stereotype) to be sympathetic to the reader, don't translate as such to cinema.

I think the Watch characters are mostly straightforward enough that you don't need their inner monologue for them to be sympathetic. Carrot has always worked with no one really knowing what's going on inside his head, but on the face of it he's an honest, good-natured cop who wants to do the right thing. Even the dwarf backstory sounds perfect for a funny little scene where he explains it to a new cop or something. And Vimes has always been a "good guy" in the tradition of Dirty Harry and Matlock and all the other maverick cop archetypes that have been shown on screen for decades. Angua's the only one that seems particularly tricky to do, but I didn't think she had much of a personality in the books anyway, so they have a bit of a blank canvas to work with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I think the Watch characters are mostly straightforward enough that you don't need their inner monologue for them to be sympathetic.

Well no but you need a lot of exposition for them to not be boring because they are subverting stereotypes and due to the way Pratchett went about things, they translate to film as just stereotypes.

(or something to that effect anyway)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

this will be worse than the rook adaptation

Nah, the Rook show was cancelled just before it aired, cause they realised at the last minute that they took out all the fun and had an unappeaing mess on their hands. There's no way that they'd release the Rook without my favourite belgian monster-men featuring in a couple of awesome set pieces. That would make no sense and will somebody please tell me everything is going to be okay.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hogfather had a narrator and it seemed fine.Pushing Daisies had a narrator, so did Arrested Development. It's not some forbidden concept.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Carrot has always worked with no one really knowing what's going on inside his head, but on the face of it he's an honest, good-natured cop who wants to do the right thing.

With Carrot, there are some parts in the early books where it is apparent how the honest, good natured cop is partly an act.
Isn't there one book where he straight up stabs the bad guy without any warning or remorse?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cardiac posted:

With Carrot, there are some parts in the early books where it is apparent how the honest, good natured cop is partly an act.
Isn't there one book where he straight up stabs the bad guy without any warning or remorse?

In Men At Arms he and Vimes corner the murderer after he’s shot Angua. Carrot keeps his cool on the surface and then stabs him hard enough that his sword passes into the stone pillar behind the killer.

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Carrot killing the murderer so fast is supposed to be the proof that he’s a Good Man...or as good as you can get in AM.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Also blah blah sword into the stone

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Did anyone get through all of The Long Earth? I was just packing a load of stuff up for charity and realised the final book had a bookmark in about a quarter of the way through. I remember it being really boring and the books I did read being a trudge I only stuck with because I'd read all of TP's other books and felt I should get through them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sanford posted:

Did anyone get through all of The Long Earth? I was just packing a load of stuff up for charity and realised the final book had a bookmark in about a quarter of the way through. I remember it being really boring and the books I did read being a trudge I only stuck with because I'd read all of TP's other books and felt I should get through them.

I did. The series was an interesting intellectual exercise but not a great story.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a bit in probably every Watch book where Carrot plausibly-deniably does something clever that could also have been an accident, and Vimes thinks "holy poo poo is Carrot actually smart?" but never asks him cause he's afraid it'll break the spell.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

angerbeet posted:

Also blah blah sword into the stone

Explicitly referenced by Nobby earlier in the book who says something like "you should find the guy who can stick a sword into a stone that's more impressive than pulling it out"

Also in the Fifth Elephant, Carrot comes right out and reminds Colon and Nobby that Watchmen can't quit because they swore an oath to the king. He not so subtly puts his sword on the desk when he says this. This is also after his romantic rival dies svaujg his life which was awfully convenient...

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 20, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Nah, the Rook show was cancelled just before it aired,

I can’t find anything saying it’s been cancelled?

I’ve never heard of The Rook before now, but all the reviews seem to wail on it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t find anything saying it’s been cancelled?

I’ve never heard of The Rook before now, but all the reviews seem to wail on it.

The Rook was cancelled before it aired.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I think the Watch characters are mostly straightforward enough that you don't need their inner monologue for them to be sympathetic. Carrot has always worked with no one really knowing what's going on inside his head, but on the face of it he's an honest, good-natured cop who wants to do the right thing.
I would say that Carrot works because nobody is sure what's in his head. The whole "He has to be playing us because nobody can be this innocent/naive/nice" thing falls apart if the reader is in on the secret.

HIJK posted:

Carrot killing the murderer so fast is supposed to be the proof that he’s a Good Man...or as good as you can get in AM.
It's worth noting here that the murderer here was about 0.2 seconds away from saying "I know you're the rightful king! I have proof!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Khizan posted:

It's worth noting here that the murderer here was about 0.2 seconds away from saying "I know you're the rightful king! I have proof!"

Indeed, and Carrot doesn’t want to hear it. He had a lot of reasons to kill the dude. Wish I could remember the name but oh well

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Nah, the Rook show was cancelled just before it aired, cause they realised at the last minute that they took out all the fun and had an unappeaing mess on their hands. There's no way that they'd release the Rook without my favourite belgian monster-men featuring in a couple of awesome set pieces. That would make no sense and will somebody please tell me everything is going to be okay.

I liked the first Rook book, what happened to the adaptation?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sanford posted:

Not even as audiobooks. I kinda hated the protagonist family and wanted them to fall into a lava pit.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

I did. The series was an interesting intellectual exercise but not a great story.

I agree. The best part for me was discovering the different biomes in the Long Earth, as well as initial land rush and the impact of the migration to the human race. The characters themselves? Meh. Lobsang was interesting, but Joshua/Sally/Rod etc were pretty boring.

Along the same lines, I'm really digging The Expanse series by James Corey. I know I'm late to the party for this series, but it's so good and it ticks a lot of the boxes as the Long Earth.. only better.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

HIJK posted:

In Men At Arms he and Vimes corner the murderer after he’s shot Angua. Carrot keeps his cool on the surface and then stabs him hard enough that his sword passes into the stone pillar behind the killer.
“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.
They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.
So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Well, my impression is rather that Carrot is a stone cold killer who when he needs to show no remorse or hesitation in killing a person.
That is not automatically the description of a good man in my opinion.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think all of those things are true. Carrot is a, at the same time, a nice man, a good man, very clever when it comes to dealing with people, and not afraid to kill somebody if he figures he needs to.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I think all of those things are true. Carrot is a, at the same time, a nice man, a good man, very clever when it comes to dealing with people, and not afraid to throw the book at somebody if he figures he needs to.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

HIJK posted:

I liked the first Rook book, what happened to the adaptation?

No Bishops, no Grafters, Myfanwy's powers manifest differently, members of the court are aware immediately about her situation, and there is no drat fun.

On the upside? Gestalt was done pretty much perfectly. Although it has a romantic subplot with Myfanwy. As do a bunch of other characters.

That being said, the Rook series was cancelled, so no innocent Zarkovs were hurt by its release.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Khizan posted:

I would say that Carrot works because nobody is sure what's in his head. The whole "He has to be playing us because nobody can be this innocent/naive/nice" thing falls apart if the reader is in on the secret.

I assume this is also why Carrot ceased to be a major character, because you just can’t keep using him for that long without opening the box and knowing what’s inside.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Smiling Jack posted:

Explicitly referenced by Nobby earlier in the book who says something like "you should find the guy who can stick a sword into a stone that's more impressive than pulling it out"

Also in the Fifth Elephant, Carrot comes right out and reminds Colon and Nobby that Watchmen can't quit because they swore an oath to the king. He not so subtly puts his sword on the desk when he says this. This is also after his romantic rival dies svaujg his life which was awfully convenient...

Same thing happens when Vetinari makes Vimes a Duke. Carrot's in the room with his sword and Vetinari says "If the King show's up, we'll tell him your deeds and he can decide then if you're still a duke."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

IshmaelZarkov posted:

No Bishops, no Grafters, Myfanwy's powers manifest differently, members of the court are aware immediately about her situation, and there is no drat fun.

On the upside? Gestalt was done pretty much perfectly. Although it has a romantic subplot with Myfanwy. As do a bunch of other characters.

That being said, the Rook series was cancelled, so no innocent Zarkovs were hurt by its release.

Yikes. Half the fun of the book was the absurdist comedy, it’s not the same if you take that out. Good thing it’s cancelled bc :lol:

The Rook is not meant for ~prestige television~, it’s a drama sure but it’s also making fun of fantasy and scifi novels and the X-Men. I still think about the bit with the dragon, it was a perfect lampooning of McAffrey.

Cardiac posted:

Well, my impression is rather that Carrot is a stone cold killer who when he needs to show no remorse or hesitation in killing a person.
That is not automatically the description of a good man in my opinion.

As said, Carrot can be multiple things at once. Vimes also shows little remorse or hesitation in Night Watch when he’s at his dirtiest. He’s still supposed to be the good guy.

The thing about Pratchett that’s easy to miss because his prose is steeped in absurdity and word play, is that he has few characters that are unequivocally good in the fairytale sense. They tend to be dingy and flawed, especially as time goes forward. Out of the Discworld cast imo Death is the only one who actually stands out as a Big Good with no moral shades of gray and that’s because he’s the great equalizer.

Of course it depends on your personal temperment and what you can stand. All of that may be true but it doesn’t mean you have to be thrilled with Carrot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

HIJK posted:

Indeed, and Carrot doesn’t want to hear it. He had a lot of reasons to kill the dude. Wish I could remember the name but oh well

It's Cruces, the Assassin Guildmaster before Downey.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Khizan posted:

It's also worth noting that the killer was batshit insane, possessed by a horrible eldritch thing, and ready to kill anyone in the room at any time for any reason.

Carrot didn't kill him to hide the fact that he's the rightful king. Carrot killed him because his mind had already been destroyed by the Gonne and there was nothing that could be done except put him down.

It is not and has never been a secret to anyone important that Carrot is the rightful King of Ankh-Morpork. Everyone just ignores all of the very obvious evidence because they all know it's better than kicking over the whole system just because of who one person happens to be descended from.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Epicurius posted:

I think all of those things are true. Carrot is a, at the same time, a nice man, a good man, very clever when it comes to dealing with people, and not afraid to kill somebody if he figures he needs to.

You'd have to be very complicated to be so simple.

Angua may not *understand* Carrot, but she gets him.

Rand Brittain posted:

I assume this is also why Carrot ceased to be a major character, because you just can’t keep using him for that long without opening the box and knowing what’s inside.

Honestly, I kinda think Pratchett just had more in common with Vimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Stroth posted:

It is not and has never been a secret to anyone important that Carrot is the rightful King of Ankh-Morpork. Everyone just ignores all of the very obvious evidence because they all know it's better than kicking over the whole system just because of who one person happens to be descended from.

And because Vimes would go spare.