Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

The man in black is Sephiroth, and people say He's in the next town a lot.

well maybe I was just being forgetful and attributing my dislike of the middle portion to something that wasn't actually true

I still don't like the meandering middle very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got the goose game and honked at a small child until they were so scared they shut themselves in a phone box.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

njsykora posted:

I got the goose game and honked at a small child until they were so scared they shut themselves in a phone box.
goty 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Training posted:

I hurt Aerith today

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

well maybe I was just being forgetful and attributing my dislike of the middle portion to something that wasn't actually true

I still don't like the meandering middle very much

That's fair. It's absolutely not as directed as the opening and final acts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was also entranced by FF8 from beginning to end but couldn't tell you a drat thing that happens in between the end of disc 1 and when you go to the moon whereas I have a fairly decent memory of the broad outline of FF7's middle despite not really liking it, so maybe I'm just weird

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean time compression does that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i could’ve sworn the man in black was johnny cash

i thought he fled across the desert

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

I was also entranced by FF8 from beginning to end but couldn't tell you a drat thing that happens in between the end of disc 1 and when you go to the moon whereas I have a fairly decent memory of the broad outline of FF7's middle despite not really liking it, so maybe I'm just weird

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chekovs bbs post

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess? In my mind it's just the same poo poo as Golden Sun, or Tales of Symphonia, or hell parts of FFX, where for a large chunk of the game every location is a place you're just passing through, rather than there because you have something to accomplish there. It creates a narrative that feels aimless because in the end nobody really has any agency. Both the player and the characters are going to this next town because where else are they gonna go? Even something as simple as adding more dialogue along the lines of "Someone saw Sephiroth in the next town over, so we're heading there next" would make it feel a lot more purposeful. There is a bit of that but I honestly could not tell you why the party goes to the Gold Saucer besides "it's there".

I can see why you might like that, because it does impose a very specific kind of pacing and mood, but I don't like that pacing or mood at all, and much prefer the game in the first and last acts for that reason.

There are moments where you just continue because the next logical location is right next to you, but for the most part there's a continuing thread of plot related clues stringing you along. You go to Kalm to rest and Cloud tells his story, then there's a missable NPC who's like "yo I saw a black caped guy head to the mines." You try to go to the mines but there's the giant invincible serpent so you wrangle up a chocobo and holy gently caress, the black cape guy murdered this monster and puts it on display wtf. You run into the Turks who blurt out seeing Sephiroth heading to Junon and so on. The Gold Saucer just happens to be the only location along the way but almost immediately you run into the proprietor who is like "oh yeah, some weirdo was asking about this ultra mysterious materia!"

I understand what you're getting at regarding early RPGs, but the hunt for Sephiroth definitely had a narrative thread and I appreciated it a lot more than most narrative heavy RPGs that just grab you by the shoulder and scream "WE GOTTA DO poo poo THE NEXT TOWN OVER!" And even when FF7 feels like a monster-of-the-week formula you still get narrative reasons for your traveling restrictions like you need a buggy to cross the desert and you need a plane to move about the islands.

You say it's a lack of agency, and from a player perspective it is, but from a narrative perspective it's the party doing the logical thing. Compare this to idk Final Fantasy 12 where you feel like a prisoner to the narrative because the protagonist's POV is a passenger, not a free agent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
isn't that the only spot in the entire game where it clarifies what GF stands for, and it's extremely missable if you don't think to check the computer

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
When I first played FF12 I figured out that experience was split between party members, but when you got a new party member it would set their level in relation to yours, so I just immediately grinded Vaan to level 50 by himself before starting the game proper.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

When I first played FF12 I figured out that experience was split between party members, but when you got a new party member it would set their level in relation to yours, so I just immediately grinded Vaan to level 50 by himself before starting the game proper.
sup ulillillia

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

i thought he fled across the desert

Sephiroth definitely flees across the desert.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CubeTheory posted:

sounds like a miserable way to make the rest of the game less fun

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I got the FF8 Remaster so soon I will have finished all the PS1 FFs.

In Training posted:

The man in black is Justin Trudeau

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For all my complaining about the meandering nature of the middle act of FF7, I did enjoy the plot twist that all the Sephiroth clones/pseudo-clones, Cloud included, are being called to the glacier by real Sephiroth and that Cloud's journey was at least in part not of his own agency

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

sounds like a miserable way to make the rest of the game less fun

It was really fun to push at the edges of the system and discover ways to beat stronger and stronger foes quickly and efficiently with just Vaan. That said, it was probably a mistake and did make the first half of that game basically a nongame.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The man in black is Justin Trudeau

:captainpop:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I dont really care if the map doesnt really follow Earth logic in a game with a bunch of magick and giant robots everywhere, personally.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FF7 is just weird and alien and grotesque and associates capitalism with being a leach on the earth that has rotted away the entire world. The remake needs to be covered in a layer of sweat and grime for me to appreciate it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I dont really care if the map doesnt really follow Earth logic in a game with a bunch of magick and giant robots everywhere, personally.

Personally I think it's cool when stories think "How would the people of this world, who are still human beings with real human needs and psychology, structure their world if they had magic and giant robots"

Honestly the amount of thought the story of FF14 seems put to in this is what's making it such a good FF game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

isn't that the only spot in the entire game where it clarifies what GF stands for, and it's extremely missable if you don't think to check the computer
tfw no GF

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anyone remember the map screen glitch in Links Awakening? I was too dumb to get through it as intended and didn't have the internet to guide me so I just glitched my way around the entire world, even got through to the boss of turtle rock. Kinda sad to see that the remake did away with screen transitions (possibly to the detriment of its performance).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Personally I think it's cool when stories think "How would the people of this world, who are still human beings with real human needs and psychology, structure their world if they had magic and giant robots"

The answer is "giant amusement park for the rich overlooking prisoners of a town destroyed by Shinra's paramilitary in retaliation for destruction of their property."

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Anyone remember the map screen glitch in Links Awakening? I was too dumb to get through it as intended and didn't have the internet to guide me so I just glitched my way around the entire world, even got through to the boss of turtle rock. Kinda sad to see that the remake did away with screen transitions (possibly to the detriment of its performance).
that glitch owned and I was upset that they fixed it for the Game Boy Color version. MeccaPrime made a map glitch LP of the original Link's Awakening long ago

i guess Nintendo is either ashamed of it or would rather people play the DX version (or both) because the original was never re-released

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am getting near the end of the main story of Witcher 3. I am determined to finish this, I am going to do this, everyone. Please believe in me. I have had this game since May 19, 2015.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jenny leclue has stayed good through 5 hours, only lagging point was a part in a boat and that was it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just wanted to drop by and thank you to the admin "VideoGames" for banning the piece of poo poo "Verranicus" Cheers.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

I said come in! posted:

I am getting near the end of the main story of Witcher 3. I am determined to finish this, I am going to do this, everyone. Please believe in me. I have had this game since May 19, 2015.

You can do it!

What part are you at? There was definitely a moment where I thought I was at the finishing moments, and was definitely not!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Goose game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

You can do it!

What part are you at? There was definitely a moment where I thought I was at the finishing moments, and was definitely not!

I was in a bathhouse, and fought some dudes while naked in the most sexy way possible. Still looking for Ciri, but I think i've done about 28 - 30 main quests so far.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

I said come in! posted:

I was in a bathhouse, and fought some dudes while naked in the most sexy way possible. Still looking for Ciri, but I think i've done about 28 - 30 main quests so far.

I’d say you’re closer to halfway. Are you enjoying it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I said come in! posted:

You are not getting near the end of the main story lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

I’d say you’re closer to halfway. Are you enjoying it?

Bummer! I was looking at a guide and it looked like I had about 18 - 20 quests left. I am enjoying the game though! The world is so stinking beautiful looking. Playing it at ultra settings on a RTX 2070, and its a smooth 60fps the entire time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Despite it often being considered the most cheerful FF on the Ps1, I always thought of 9 as being the most in your face regarding its grittiness. You see the Queen unleashing monstrosities and being able to do absolutely nothing to diminish the damages, the Black Mages and their aimless lives, eventually Zidane, Kuja and their brethren as well, Garnet just not getting one loving break in her life.

Related to FF, I switched back to my White Mage and boy, did I miss choosing literally any Duty and getting an instant queue.

I said come in! posted:

If you're still looking for Ciri then you got a long ways to go yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuringa posted:

If you're still looking for Ciri then you got a long ways to go yet.

Fair! I will soldier on. This will not ruin anything for me. Going to finish this game. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samuringa posted:

Related to FF, I switched back to my White Mage and boy, did I miss choosing literally any Duty and getting an instant queue.

healers dont get to complain about queues