Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

It's out on Switch in the UK.

Not like goat simulator at all to be honest. More Metal Gear Solid, if Snake was an arsehole who stole people's sandwiches and dropped them in a pond [I]for no reason[/].

Two more little things: the plinky-plonk piano soundtrack is PERFECT and v silent movie, and the noise of the honk varies depending on what's in the horrible goose's beak.

Metal Goose Solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Metal Goose Solid

TACTICAL HONKING ACTION

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Buddy if a canada goose comes at me honking aggressively I am not ashamed to roundhouse kick it until it learns its lesson. You live in Canada, you learn this well.

Edit: If you are a canada goose I will do the same I will not hesitate.

You are spare parts, aren'cha bud

Joey Freshwater posted:

You buttheads need to watch Letterkenny

https://youtu.be/MWQAJxQfayo

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Honk?

Honk?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thehonkmeme posted:

Honk?

Honk?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

You buttheads need to watch Letterkenny

https://youtu.be/MWQAJxQfayo
Letterkenny is a great show.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
This is more visual novel than game but Adventures With Anxiety was affirming and enjoyable to me.

It's very short, so the whole thing counts as a little thing- but I like the way anxiety transforms into clothing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thecluckmeme posted:

Honk?

Honk?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

At first, this made me think I wanted an all-goose remake of MGS. Then I realised I want a remake where the characters remain the same, except Snake is a goose voiced by David Hayter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Protip: Goose Game is cute but kind of meh and I was tricked by the goon hype

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

:negative:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

Kind of a downer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a rebound, entering ZELDA as your name in the Link's Awakening remake still switches the music :3:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Having finished Control I can confidently say as someone that has been both a janitor and a low-ranking government agent, that they definitely had both in the writing staff and it showed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Here's a rebound, entering ZELDA as your name in the Link's Awakening remake still switches the music :3:

why would giving Zelda his actual name change the music? next you're gonna tell me metroid's real name is justin bailey

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Recently finished Detroit: Become Human and liked it enough to start working on the Platinum.

The writing is...clunky, but in spite of that the story is engaging and raises some interesting ideas about the (current complete lack of) ethics with regard to artificial intelligences.

Perhaps it is because the writing's not great, but something I don't quite get:

If Alice was an android (and presumably deviant the entire time), then I have some questions: the first and foremost of which is: where's her LED? Is there some handwave I missed that was a reason for her not having one? If she herself took it out, why wouldn't she suggest the idea to Kara when she knew Kara was also deviant, and they knew they needed to hide among the humans?

If she did take it out herself (presumably when she went deviant) then she might be the most intelligent android in the entire game. She knew enough that she couldn't overpower Todd herself, apparently didn't know about the gun at all (or she could have simply shot him), and most importantly, had enough understanding of the human world to know that she wouldn't get far on her own since she appears to be a little girl. That last point in particular makes her smarter than most of the other android characters. Also - how cold and calculating is it to just bide her time, being beaten regularly, until an opportunity to get out comes along?

The rA9 thing is just dumb and from what I have read - is never explained. If that's trying to be a commentary on religions in general, it's falling a bit flat.

Anyway, hamfisted writing aside - I enjoyed the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HaB posted:

Recently finished Detroit: Become Human and liked it enough to start working on the Platinum.

The writing is...clunky, but in spite of that the story is engaging and raises some interesting ideas about the (current complete lack of) ethics with regard to artificial intelligences.

Perhaps it is because the writing's not great, but something I don't quite get:

If Alice was an android (and presumably deviant the entire time), then I have some questions: the first and foremost of which is: where's her LED? Is there some handwave I missed that was a reason for her not having one? If she herself took it out, why wouldn't she suggest the idea to Kara when she knew Kara was also deviant, and they knew they needed to hide among the humans?

Anyway, hamfisted writing aside - I enjoyed the game.

There's enough to imply her Dad probably did it. He hosed up his marriage and is trying to replace his missing kid after all, even though it's drowning him in debt to do so.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm glad David Cage managed to finally make the choices you make actually matter. I somehow managed to get every single person killed on my first playthrough and still got a satisfying resolution to the plot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

I'm glad David Cage managed to finally make the choices you make actually matter. I somehow managed to get every single person killed on my first playthrough and still got a satisfying resolution to the plot.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy set everything up great to have your choices actually matter, and I was so pissed when it didn’t work out that way. The first two chapters where you have to clean up your crime scene as the killer in the first half and investigate it as the cops in the second was incredible back when it came out and was my first real taste of reactivity in games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

Would you expect anything else from a game that has no title.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I have just got back into Risk of Rain 2 and goddamn that game makes you feel powerful

For those who didn't play 1 for whatever reason, the story is the cargo space ship you're on has crashed into an unknown planet which is filled with things that want to kill you. You have to escape through various teleporters, finding supplies from debris scattered over the planet. There's no ending yet since it's still in development, so basically you just go through cycles.

I was playing Commando, who's gimmick is he's just pretty good. His main attack is 2 weak-ish shots rapidly from his pistol. On this run, I got so lucky with my items. I found 9 Predatory Instincts (which stack critical hits into increased attack speed for each shot), 9 Soldier's Syringes (which increase base attack speed), 3 Lens Maker Glasses (Increased chances of crits) and 4 Leech Seeds (restores 1x4 health time time you cause damage). This meant my attack speed was off the charts as soon as I looked at an enemy and they would melt.

But from there, I also got a Sentient Meat Hook (Gathers enemies near your target and groups together, causes damage), Will'O Wisps (Dead enemies explode), Gasolines (Dead enemies ignite surrounding enemies), Ceremonial Daggers (Dead enemies create 3 powerful daggers which home in enemies), Sticky Bombs (Each shot has a chance of creating a delayed detonation bomb), Tritip Daggers (Potential DoT each shot), Stun Grenades (Stuns on Attack) and 2 Brilliant Behemoths (makes every attack explode). So basically, it would pull all the enemies together and explode the gently caress out of anything, chain reacting outwards until all the smaller enemies died while I was eye lasering the main boss to death.

Then I died when I got stuck in a tunnel with a plasma worm who basically ate me

God it was fun

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roguelites that have a real sense of gathering momentum are very much the best kind.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Life is Strange:
It gets real trippy in the end and at one point Max can actually see the dialogue choices which are all horrible and she doesn't want to say them:

Time starts to go backwards and so does the action prompts:

You also start to receive text messages from dead characters and Pompidou the dog.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Sep 22, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Hot Lava on steam and it totally owns - the intro cutscene actually had me laughing pretty hard due to nailing the whole "Action Man/GI Joe" aesthetic, and the gameplay is a classic children's game taken to the next level. I made a video because I liked it and wanted to show it off -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GkJ_OeEbo

It's just The Floor is Lava, but with mechanics and challenges.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Seeing people call WoW classic a game for true gamers is kind of funny seeing as when it launched it took heat for being "too casual" and ruining the genre

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Who says that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Who says that?

I hate myself and haven't turned off general chat and joined a 500+ member pub guild. Lot's of people talk about classic being hardcore

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In our day we had to raid uphill in the snow!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vanilla WoW was made harder by nobody understanding poo poo about the underlying mechanics of the game and most gear being outright terrible. Like it doesn't make any intuitive sense why a pair of level 49 mail gloves would be the best-in-slot for Warriors all the way through Blackwing Lair, but it was true nonetheless and you'd be at a significant disadvantage if you were just doing what seemed logical. In terms of complexity most early raid encounters were dead simple, like "tank the dude and dispel the curses" simple, but when you could get to level 60 by clicking the hotbar and keyboard turning, expectations were vastly lower. My first guild had about 25 raiders and 15 functioning alcoholics and we still managed to kill up to the first 3 bosses in Naxx. The 40-man setting offered a lot of leeway for dead weight. We were clearing MC with <20 people toward the end of vanilla.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

A couple of expansions into WoW and I always thought it was a pain in the rear end to get 10 people together regularly to raid. I can' t imagine the logistics of getting 40 loving people together all the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kazil posted:

A couple of expansions into WoW and I always thought it was a pain in the rear end to get 10 people together regularly to raid. I can' t imagine the logistics of getting 40 loving people together all the time.

Usually they're guilds run by overworked angry GMs and RLs who eventually become bitter and abusive to varying degrees.

The techno going off hardcore in the background is my favorite part of this whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXdcrSbIho

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Every now and then I pick up Forza Horizon 4 just to drive around Scotland at 250mph, but I noticed something small yesterday that fits this thread.

When you drive through the tunnels on the highway, the radio cuts out because your car can no longer get a signal.
It also has the benefit of hearing the engines screaming echoing back at you which is the best thing in the world.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Sep 26, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really like it when characters are actually competent and are able to figure things out along with the player. In Persona 5 (major spoilers for the November dungeon/end game) It really should have been clear to anyone paying even a little bit of attention that Akechi was the murderer/mole, and while it was lame having to put up with him as part of the Phantom Thieves for a month until everything actually went down, it was really cathartic to watch the cutscenes afterwards and realize that the other characters picked up on it right away too and turned it into an elaborate sting. This can be contrasted with a similar scene in Persona 4 where you reason out the murderer, but there it's a lot less dramatic - you answer a series of multiple choice questions ending with who you think the bad guy is, and the way the game is set up, in the original release it almost seems like a random afterthought or guess whereas in the Golden re-release it kind of seems like you and your friends must be idiots for not figuring it out before a tragedy forced your hand. In P5 there's no ambiguity or way to get it wrong, as far as I know, but it flows better and is way more dramatic as a result.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just played Arkham Asylum for the first time in forever and nearly every male character having the same "steroidal meat monster" model is pretty funny. Something about Gears of War Commissioner Gordon in the opening cutscene had me losing it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Moon Monster posted:

I just played Arkham Asylum for the first time in forever and nearly every male character having the same "steroidal meat monster" model is pretty funny. Something about Gears of War Commissioner Gordon in the opening cutscene had me losing it.

Its an ugly rear end art style. Everyones also got that layer of vaseline that existed on every unreal engine game of that era too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a thing with every game built on Unreal 3 back then.

It was built to make Gears of War characters and not much else.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aphrodite posted:

That was a thing with every game built on Unreal 3 back then.

It was built to make Gears of War characters and not much else.

Not at all true.
Even if you use an engine you arent bound to some kind of style. It was absolutely a conscious choice made by the devs to make their games look like they did. Either through laziness by just using the pre-packaged assets and shaders that came with UE3 or just aping the BROWN BLOOM ON EVERYTHING style of the time.

For example Mirror's Edge was made in UE3.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also remember that Asylum had the Joker and Scarecrow, who were pretty lanky and unmuscled dudes.

Which makes it better, because it means that Jacked Commissioner Gordon was an intentional design choice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do wonder how much of that is "let's make Gordon loving huge" and how much of it is "here's my low-effort Gordon skin on the basic male mesh" "sure looks good enough, we have like 200 other guys to make".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I do wonder how much of that is "let's make Gordon loving huge" and how much of it is "here's my low-effort Gordon skin on the basic male mesh" "sure looks good enough, we have like 200 other guys to make".

I'm pretty sure it was the latter. IIRC he's normal looking in the later Arkham games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
after the asylum, gordon lost his taste for protein shakes