Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Shame Boy posted:

I know Borderlands humor has always been meme filled but this sidequest is LITERALLY bringing memes to Pandora and the questgiver describing the funny meme's he's looking at as you activate the objectives :sigh:

At least my worst fears of the reward unique sniper rifle was not a meme spouting talking gun like i thought it was gonna be.

That entire series of quests is based on the random garbage objectives for unlocking the secret stash in BL2 so I think they really leaned into the stupid with the jokes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Things to note as Zane: Torgue "grenade launcher" style shotguns are still fun and good, especially if you get the kill skill that gives you x extra shots the next 5 times you fire, and doubly so if it's a radiation shotgun and you have an artifact that gives big bonuses to the aura size and dot effect. Unfortunately, the Holo-Clone is not smart enough to aim arcing fire weapons, and so if you use the doubled agent capstone with a grenade launcher the clone will dutifully dig a hole in the ground.

I do enjoy radiation as an element though. Enemies popping when they go down is very satisfying; especially as the cloud will likely spread to other enemies with a small debuff.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can you share save files? I know you could in the other games

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Red Suit shield is pretty fun. Get near bad guys, and if they don’t explode before you shoot them, they explode when you do.

Except in mayhem proving grounds and it takes all the ammo for four people to down one baddie.

Who then explodes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

This plot really, really doesn't make sense. Unless Lilith is literally brain-dead.

Everyone is on a race to open all vaults. Corporations, bandits and other vaulthunters. I think we have to think that withouth our actions, that power will end in bad hands.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So far my favorite side quest is the Lord of the Rings based one. It includes a skull falling loudly down a well, a Balrog-ish boss, and the reward is a Torgue shotgun that shoots in a pattern like the Balrog's whip.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

On my headcanon, you never wins in Borderlands 3, and the destructor escape the prison. He star eating start after start and spawn the varesii to help him. Initiating the events the lead to the universe of Battleborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sai7jPmYg5k

The same way Subnautica is a prequel for Natural Selection, I think Borderlands is a prequel of Battleborn.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 21, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tei posted:

Everyone is on a race to open all vaults. Corporations, bandits and other vaulthunters. I think we have to think that withouth our actions, that power will end in bad hands.

Not really. A lot of corps in this game seem to be sitting on top of vaults that they don't want to open because it would probably kill them.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I played through the entire game with no performance issues or crashes whatsoever on PC, and as soon as I hit lvl 50, the game now crashes around 50% of the time when fast travelling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What am I missing about weapons like this? Yeah they have fancy effects... but they don't seem to actually kill anything.
(it's got that weird flesh-goop on it, if you can't make it out on the image)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What am I missing about weapons like this? Yeah they have fancy effects... but they don't seem to actually kill anything.

A lot of the legendary items in this are just plain bad. If they aren't pulling their weight, I just sell them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
though be aware the power of some red texts isn't going to be straightforwardly obvious (which isn't that relevant when leveling).

it took a while for the bl2 community to realize the pimpernel was one of the most busted guns in the game when used right.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I played through the entire game with no performance issues or crashes whatsoever on PC, and as soon as I hit lvl 50, the game now crashes around 50% of the time when fast travelling.

maybe instability from having a full bank?

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I've gotten the Lob in my game, it has slow moving ball shots that pierce enemies. Its garbo unless it has some hidden mechanic that I didn't catch.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm going out of my drat mind, I'm level 30 and I just finished the quest with robot Ice-T and his crazy girlfriend. When do I unlock the relic slot??? They've started dropping but I can't use them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tei posted:

So, the Calypso twins want the power inside vaults and if we get it that would presumably be bad. So what are we going to do? Try to open a vault of course! We succeed, open a vault, and the twins get the power inside and it's bad. What's the next step Lilith? Apparently it's to open another vault.

Wouldn't we be better suited going after the actual problem, i.e. the twins? Or if that's not on the table for some reason we should play keep-away with the vault relics keeping them out of the hands of the twins and not opening vaults with them. The only way the plot so far makes sense is if Lilith is actively working for the twins.

Does Thin Red Line activate Desperate Measures? I assume not, but...

Edit: What does the 'double penetrating' on this bad boy do?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 21, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uhh is the Splinterlands supposed to be 6-7 levels lower than the previous zone?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 21, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Uhh is the Hinterlands supposed to be 6-7 levels lower than the previous zone?

do you mean splinterlands? that's where the levels suddenly dipped for me.

the level scaling between areas in this game is weird. the second to last boss was 4 levels higher than the last one for me, whilst my character had gained two levels in the mean time, making it a way easier fight with subpar loot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rinkles posted:

do you mean splinterlands? that's where the levels suddenly dipped for me.

the level scaling between areas in this game is weird. the second to last boss was 4 levels higher than the last one for me, whilst my character had gained two levels in the mean time, making it a way easier fight with subpar loot.

Yeah that zone. Usually they seem to scale to the level when you first arrive there. Well whatever, BL3 has still been better than the previous games for level scaling on the first playthrough, and once I'm on TVHM everything will scale.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 21, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah that zone. Usually they seem to scale to the level when you first arrive there. Well whatever, BL3 has still been better than the previous games for level scaling on the first playthrough, and once I'm on TVHM everything will scale.

Even better, everything scales as soon as you finish the main story, without even starting tvhm.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just beat the game, and I have one major gripe about the story. Yeah it's Ava, but not what a lot of people are angry about.

I feel like this story would have made a lot more sense if Lilith and Maya's roles were reversed. Lilith getting sucked up by Troy would have been a better story choice in general, establishing them as an actual legit threat and making Ava/Maya/Tannis a lot more wary of them in general. Plus Maya handing off the reins to Ava makes a lot more sense from a symbolic and story perspective.

yeah yeah Lore-derlands, but still. would have been better that way.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Even better, everything scales as soon as you finish the main story, without even starting tvhm.

Only in mayhem I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rinkles posted:

Unfortunately I haven't saved any sidequests for that.

Related question, after TVHM and you're max level can you do another playthrough with everything at level 50?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RatHat posted:

Unfortunately I haven't saved any sidequests for that.

Related question, after TVHM and you're max level can you do another playthrough with everything at level 50?

You can reset TVHM.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm going out of my drat mind, I'm level 30 and I just finished the quest with robot Ice-T and his crazy girlfriend. When do I unlock the relic slot??? They've started dropping but I can't use them.

It's like 2 more zones.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's been one week since the game had been released holy poo poo why are people already trying to do everything and min max

Because we live in a world with Twitch and youtube. Enough people make money from playing this dumb game 24/7 and blitzing to the end game then abusing every single bug possible. That then spreads to every other person without a job who wishes they made money streaming emulating them and suddenly thousands of people have already put in 80 hours in the first week and are bored because the end game was "too easy" since they abused every little boss trick or bugged item they could.

In response the developers nerf the poo poo out of loot drops to slow people down, except the cat is already out of the bag and they can't put it back. All the hardcore gamers already have everything and are moving on to the next game they'll ruin and only casual players still working through the story are left. Now all the casual gamers get to the end game, realize that it takes a poo poo ton of grind and effort to get good gear, and quit because it's not worth the time investment.

This literally happens in every single loot game. For some reason no one ever sees it coming, and then they always make the worst decision possible. I'm getting close to the end of the game (I hope because it's really starting to drag) and was looking forward to loving around some in TVHM and Mayhem getting showered with oranges, but I might just go play something else now after I finish the story. At least a ton of oranges made listening to the dialogue again kind of worth it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

So, the Calypso twins want the power inside vaults and if we get it that would presumably be bad. So what are we going to do? Try to open a vault of course! We succeed, open a vault, and the twins get the power inside and it's bad. What's the next step Lilith? Apparently it's to open another vault.

Wouldn't we be better suited going after the actual problem, i.e. the twins? Or if that's not on the table for some reason we should play keep-away with the vault relics keeping them out of the hands of the twins and not opening vaults with them. The only way the plot so far makes sense is if Lilith is actively working for the twins.

Does Thin Red Line activate Desperate Measures? I assume not, but...

Edit: What does the 'double penetrating' on this bad boy do?

The way the story seems to frame it is that Lilith is too scared of failure after losing the first time, so she avoids confronting the Calypsos even though that's obviously what she should be doing. And opening the vaults is just her way of avoiding the real problem even though all that actually does is help them. Which makes Ava entirely right that everything is Lilith's fault.

Also yes, Thin Red Line activates Desperate measures. The reserved health counts as Moze being in critical at all time. That is the entire point of the tree, imo. You can get her down to 1 HP and with the right mods trigger a permanent 66-78% damage buff. Which you kinda need to be competitive on Mayhem 3.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 21, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Just beat the game, and I have one major gripe about the story. Yeah it's Ava, but not what a lot of people are angry about.

I feel like this story would have made a lot more sense if Lilith and Maya's roles were reversed. Lilith getting sucked up by Troy would have been a better story choice in general, establishing them as an actual legit threat and making Ava/Maya/Tannis a lot more wary of them in general. Plus Maya handing off the reins to Ava makes a lot more sense from a symbolic and story perspective.

yeah yeah Lore-derlands, but still. would have been better that way.

I like your version better than the one we got.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

do people forget that you actually stop the calypsos from getting the power of the eden-6 vault? and yeah, Lilith’s character arc is getting over her fear of failure and finally attacking the calypsos head on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

watho posted:

do people forget that you actually stop the calypsos from getting the power of the eden-6 vault? and yeah, Lilith’s character arc is getting over her fear of failure and finally attacking the calypsos head on.

She claims she slurped it up from the dead guardian.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CJacobs posted:

My borderlands loot life got so much easier when I decided to just never pick up any white rarity guns. A white rarity gun is not worth the time it takes to even look at its stats after the first couple hours of gameplay. A white rarity gun is also worth like 50% less cash (or more) than a green equivalent so they are barely even worth selling.

I'm still very early in the game but what I've seen is that it's the type that makes the difference. Generally the bigger the gun, the more it sells for so I just default to picking up 'large' guns. I'm only in the teens, but I need lots of money (SDUs are expensive) and rocket launchers sell for like $800 and blue pistols sell for like $200.

Now what I DO agree with is that I don't waste a ton of my time trying to manage that crap because I know as I level up that will become chump change, but when I only have $5000 those rocket launchers make a big difference.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Could any Borderlands expert type people give me a general rundown of how the VHs play late game? It looks like FL4K turns into a disgusting crit monster and may be the most overpowered character, though I'm not sure how his pets hold up. Zane is pretty fun though some are complaining that he is weak later on because he lacks in killing power. I'm also enjoying Moze but I don't like the idea of Iron Bear becoming weak and outdated. I don't know anything about Amara, but I usually shy away from melee based VHs (except for Krieg because he was the best).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really wish there was a "pick up as trash" button. As is I don't ever mark anything as trash in the first place because I can just mash the 'sell' button on the store for a couple seconds for the same result, saving probably multiple minutes of going into my inventory and marking things I don't want as trash over and over.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

TPS had “sell all non-favorite” which was so much better I have no idea why they changed it back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, a question I had: In Borderlands 2 the drop-rates are fixed until you reach a certain level/certain point in the story, probably for balancing reasons. Is there any evidence that the same is also true in 3? The drops in at least the intro level are almost certainly fixed given that Shiv always drops a shotgun and the white chest always contains either 4 pistols or 2 hyperion SMGs.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Tonight I got two legendaries out of the same Typhon drop chest so complaint rescinded about those I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm getting plenty of legendaries now and they seem... bad. I tend not to use them.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm playing through 1's DLC right now and the Mad Moxxi thunderdome is kind of soul crushing. The zombie island felt unrewarding, but this is just a series of arena challenges.

I'm only doing playthrough 1 and likely skipping the mega boss in the Knoxx DLC, because I want to move to 2.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I spent like 3 hours trying to kill Killawatt while underlevelled by like 3 levels, with breaks to go grind on the level 13-14 mobs to try and level up, finally give up and ask a friend of mine to join and we just barely kill him. As a reward I get a legendary wall decoration.
I wish the quests were more rewarding :(

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm getting plenty of legendaries now and they seem... bad. I tend not to use them.

Yeah, I've just spent 2.5 hours farming the Eden 6 vault monster on Mayhem 3 (Using the relic that lowers your health by like 80% and "Substantially increases your luck" - I think this is busted or nonsense as after finding it I haven't notices more legendaries drop at all) and I've found maybe three legendary items that aren't complete poo poo. The purples and even blues usually blow them away.

Gearbox needs to do another pass of the legendary gear and buff most of it, I think. Otherwise it's faster and more effective to just farm vending machines.

Then again, after Borderlands 2 and the current state of the endgame in Borderlands 3, I don't have a lot of faith in Gearbox's ability to create or maintain a compelling endgame.

Hope I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

fl4k is really fun to play and im certain i would have died alot more by now if it werent for my skag buddy loving poo poo up and drawing everyones fire. are the higher difficulties better than bl2? that slag mechanic becoming mandatory was horrible. is there any bullshit similar to that? also melee seems alot more useful and i like how you lunge at the enemy if youre close enough