Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Taima posted:

Spoken like a man who drinks skunked-rear end IPAs on the regular, but by all means explain to me, someone who has been drinking IPAs and been involved with those brewing them for 15+ years, how IPAs work.

Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Taima posted:

You people vouching for IPAs lasting a long time are acting real dumb.

Sorry I'm not trying to be rude but it's just such an ignorant viewpoint. IPA standards have evolved since the 18th century. Mind blown, I know.

Spoken like a man who drinks skunked-rear end IPAs on the regular, but by all means explain to me, someone who has been drinking IPAs and been involved with those brewing them for 15+ years, how IPAs work.

lmao stfu

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Yeah I can't get over this take it makes no sense.

The only beer I have ever felt is consistently spoiled is Stella Artois it seems like a 50/50 chance if it just is utterly terrible and am not sure if its the green bottles or it being imported.

Green bottles are the second worst method of storing beer, only better than clear glass. Brown bottles and aluminum cans are far better.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Taima posted:

skunked-rear end IPAs

sounds like all IPAs to me. Sorry you have lovely taste in beer

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I used to be a beer bottle guy when buying beer but now I just get cans and I regret nothing!

If it is a nicer beer pour into glass otherwise chug it and throw that can into the bin from across the room, something that is risky with bottles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cans only. good for throwin

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

DiggityDoink posted:

15+ years! Down the drain! Like some poo poo rear end IPA

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Guys you're misunderstanding. I don't care what beer you drink I just think it's funny how much misinformation is occurring. Drink whatever you want, just know that A lot of people in this thread are objectively wrong about IPAs.

I'm not even an IPA evangelist necessarily, but I grew up around the stuff and know my way around it. The best IPA is very fresh and it goes downhill fast, which is an absolutely key reason why so many people think it's bad. They are drinking skunked poo poo.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Grem posted:

15+ years! Down the drain! Like some poo poo rear end IPA

For the record I don't blame you for holding this viewpoint at all. I'm actually on your side. The commercial IPA industry is super rough, and most of what gets sold is trash due to lead times inherent to the industry.

Hell even here in CA it's a rough go. I always recommend that people go drink fresh pints from the brewery itself, but even then it's not guaranteed.

There is probably some perception that i'm being elitist here but it's just a realistic take on a tough industry. These days I rarely drink IPA unless I'm at a place that can do it right, which is, truth be told, a rare occurrence.

I'm more of a cocktail man myself these days. Certainly not advocating that people get into IPA or even enjoy it, though a fresh hazy is something of beauty when you can find it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Taima posted:

There is probably some perception that i'm being elitist here

Here, and in nearly every other post you make.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

therobit posted:

Here, and in nearly every other post you make.

That's ok to have that opinion friend. Truth be told I probably am the first at the guillotine! What I say about IPA is true though :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
serious beersness

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Taima posted:

You people vouching for IPAs lasting a long time are acting real dumb.

Sorry I'm not trying to be rude but it's just such an ignorant viewpoint. IPA standards have evolved since the 18th century. Mind blown, I know.

It was just a question. Cool your goddamn tits, friend.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The beer thread is leaking into the Costco thread oh nooo. I was just excited for 24pks of beer I'm sorry thread:smith:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DiggityDoink posted:

Kirk Lights for all!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Moey posted:

Kirk Lights for all!

#rude

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
R.i.p to Kirkland beer. We wernt ready for those 48pks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

just lmao if you aren't drinking all pilsners all the time

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don’t really like beer. :cheers:

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I'm more of a wine drinker but just lmao if you let Taima get a rise out of you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is so dumb but has anyone seen Vegan wine in Costco?

I have a vegan family member coming in and I’d like to accommodate.

I know they probably don’t but I just thought I’d ask if anyone has seen it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is wine not already vegan?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Enos Cabell posted:

This was my first thought, but maybe the kind of fertilizer used for grapes actually matters? I dunno...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it's sometimes clarified with animal products or other stuff that's not directly the wine ingredients per se but that still end up in it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Only white wine, because they don’t use beef blood to tint it red.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Fallom posted:

Only white wine, because they don’t use beef blood to tint it red.

What? That's a thing I haven't heard before.

googlin, part of the Fining process, apparently, filtering out stuff. This doesn't say anything about coloring the wine

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

It's what separates vegan and non vegan wine

Sometimes it's pig's blood, but never in kosher wines.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah but white has a good amount of donkey piss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol.

They use animal products in the filtration which makes like 90% of wine not vegan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Lol.

They use animal products in the filtration which makes like 90% of wine not vegan.

Yeah beef and pig's blood to tint the wine the color they want.

"Filtration" is a euphemism

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

gently caress vegan wine and gently caress IPAs, just get those Sandwich Bros Chicken Melts into liquid form and inject into my veins

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

All I need to get drunk is a dog and soda (with refill)

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Bought two sherpas today. Life is good.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Roll up that za an down the hatch in one gullop

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Idk but lemme know when they sell that 5 liter bottle of wine again.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Moey posted:

Kirk Lights for all!

This guy gets it. When we had one of our annual halloween bonfires I just threw a couple slabs of kirky lites at my sister in law's weird friends and let them drink themselves frothy.

Kept the good sun aged IPAs to myself.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
In case anyone gives a poo poo, IPAs lasted for a long time because hops are a preservative. Today, hops are used as a flavoring and aroma agent I'm addition to adding bitterness. Unfortunately, the aroma and the flavor aspect of hops don't last very long, sometimes as little as 2 weeks before loss of aroma is noticed. So when people says drink it fresh, it's because they won't taste or smell as good if you wait (or if it takes a long time to reach you and get stocked). This is separate from skunking, which is an adverse reaction by the hops to sunlight.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I used to think “skunky” beer was just a saying until I had Lucky Buddha

I highly doubt CostCo sells skunked beer

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to contribute my very hot take to this very good thread: IPAs are piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Just wanted to contribute my very hot take to this very good thread: IPAs are piss.

If you drank enough piss, I'd bet it'd start tasting good too.