Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
When's the actual scheduled kickoff for NZ v SA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Did the French guy just leap frog over the Argentinean scrub half?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Penaud doing his best superman impression.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
1045 English time, so an hour and a bit from now

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This is top quality Francing

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Really enjoying this game. Serious intensity from both sides for the most part. Argentina probably should be ahead, but welp, they just keep bottling it at the wrong time.

Altho penalty plus 10m now so..

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

tarbrush posted:

This is top quality Francing

Lmao

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Grand cru Francing

Although the French can tend to be shite between fifty and seventy minutes and come back in the last ten. The difference being they don't normally have a 20 point advantage to blow.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Serious drop goal!

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Wtf? Seems a weird time for a drop goal with opposition having a good period with ball in hand. 70 minutes gone i suppose, I didn't notice that at first

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
That was the dumbest penalty I've seen in some time.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Yeah, tactically pehaps not ideal timing there

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Daaaaaammmmn. Just faded

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finger tips stuff from France.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Well played France, that was a cracker

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Welp. Definitely a bit of Gallic fire there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Probably the best almost Francing I've ever seen.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Great end, both the match and the handbags

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Ahaha, post gong fighting.

Looks like it was in fact an excellent time for a drop goal. Guess this level of quality rugby analysis could be why I don't coach a national, or indeed any, team.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not thrilled about the offside line seemingly disappearing though. Argentina can feel hard done by.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Did Gardner forget his cards? France should've had someone binned at some point. Picamoles intercept was a mile offside too. And I'm pretty sure a French defender rolled into the scrum half on that last turnover.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of the matches have been good fun so far. I think about half of Australia wound up in Sapporo, and there were plenty of neutrals and English fans who got tickets for both games this weekend.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

bessantj posted:

Not thrilled about the offside line seemingly disappearing though. Argentina can feel hard done by.

Both teams were desperate for staying behind the offside line for important parts of the game. When there's two points in it with two minutes to go it can be tough to not see it called, but when you've been getting away with it all match it's a strange ask for it to be suddenly respected (although something Nigel Owens would be happy to oblige with.)

That being said France should have had a yellow card, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made. Argentina should have taken at least one chance during the first half and then France wouldn't have been able to hold out.

Edit:

Painkiller posted:

Did Gardner forget his cards? France should've had someone binned at some point. Picamoles intercept was a mile offside too. And I'm pretty sure a French defender rolled into the scrum half on that last turnover.

That definitely happened, and I was yelling at the screen as it happened, but again, it's one of those things that you can't expect that to be suddenly called because it's the last minute and you're two points down, however fuming I'd be if it happened to Ireland.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they putting the full matches up online to watch later or just lovely highlights?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Should be able to watch it again on ITV at some point.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Are they putting the full matches up online to watch later or just lovely highlights?

ITV hub have got them up.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Actually what is the general line on enforcing offside atm? Occasionally see it enforced strictly, but rushing defense is pretty much mandatory now, esp with the pod offense structure (which someone here explained really well and thank you whoever that was). Seems a pretty fine line for teams to walk as to staying onside or ending up with gaps for runners to hit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping for the clean, commentary-free, crowd and ref mics only version, but that will have to do.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Offside seems to be enforced if it directly interferes with play or is just really blatant, if not, players tend to be able to steal a metre or two as long as they're away from the ruck and get away with it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Slumfrog posted:

Actually what is the general line on enforcing offside atm? Occasionally see it enforced strictly, but rushing defense is pretty much mandatory now, esp with the pod offense structure (which someone here explained really well and thank you whoever that was). Seems a pretty fine line for teams to walk as to staying onside or ending up with gaps for runners to hit.

Theoretically it's behind the hindmost foot of the ruck, but I haven't seen that rigorously enforced in a tier 1 match in pretty much forever. Behind the bulk of the ruck might be generally enforced, but mostly it's just something that looks obviously offside by someone being particularly far ahead. This often ends up with bad calls though, where someone charging from behind makes yards and just looks offside because they had a head of steam up, while the smothering effect of the whole line being a metre or so offside goes by unnoticed. All in all, it's a shitshow, and probably the most advantageous pushing of the laws outside the ruck that goes on at the highest level of the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's like scrum laws, enforced when the ref gets generally annoyed with them loving about with the flow of play.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Awesome, thank you for the clear explanations. So glad I am not a referee

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
NZ v SA kickoff is about an hour and a bit still yeah? Time to make some burgs, grab a drink before the main event. Have managed to somehow miss every Boks game so far this year so been looking forward to this bigly.

Sorry to all if I have been posting too much. I live in a rugby desert, so I am taking the chance to gorge on the stuff this World Cup.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Slumfrog posted:

NZ v SA kickoff is about an hour and a bit still yeah? Time to make some burgs, grab a drink before the main event. Have managed to somehow miss every Boks game so far this year so been looking forward to this bigly.

Sorry to all if I have been posting too much. I live in a rugby desert, so I am taking the chance to gorge on the stuff this World Cup.

Nope it’s in 5 mins

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Slumfrog posted:

Kicks off in 5 minutes.

But no worries about asking questions, everyone here is pretty good at answering anything you might want to know.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Whoops. Thanks again for the save

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Slumfrog posted:

So glad I am not a referee

You couldn't do much worse than half of them reffing at the RWC.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Oh poo poo TJ bringing it

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Aaawww yis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work