Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I first had carbonara (bertolli, frozen bag of it) the peas were my favorite part, I thought it brought it all together :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
THE PEE IS MY FAVORITE PART

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
:siren: CARBONARA POLICE :siren:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

whoop whoop the carbonara police

whoop whoop that's the sound of the Beast

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Man, whatever happened to Elise?

I sincerely hope she's okay. She was a very busy lady when I last read her posts so I can only imagine what a toddler would add to the mix.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Randaconda posted:

whoop whoop the carbonara police

whoop whoop that's the sound of the peas

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Arrest this man
He puts in peas

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

god drat it

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I sincerely hope she's okay. She was a very busy lady when I last read her posts so I can only imagine what a toddler would add to the mix.
She's still around; I see her posting in the Health Care Stories thread.

And forget Alfredo: go for paglia e fieno. https://italianchef.com/paglia-e-fieno-with-prosciutto-and-cream/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

She's still around; I see her posting in the Health Care Stories thread.

And forget Alfredo: go for paglia e fieno. https://italianchef.com/paglia-e-fieno-with-prosciutto-and-cream/

Yeah she posted just a week ago, she's alright

edit for content:

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 21, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Don't shoot! I ate that Samyang Carbo bowl recently!

Nuking it turned it into some sorta Hellmouth.

(That weird lump in the middle is part of an egg I added in)

Trip report: it was fine. I prefer the noodles over the rice cake logs, and really the spice mostly override any 'carbonara'.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Don't shoot! I ate that Samyang Carbo bowl recently!

Trip report: it was fine. I prefer the noodles over the rice cake logs, and really the spice mostly override any 'carbonara'.
Where would you say it falls on the Samyang Spice Spectrum (S3)?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hirayuki posted:

Where would you say it falls on the Samyang Spice Spectrum (S3)?
Is it close to the Samyang X2 Spicy Chicken? Where the chicken is carrying a bomb and breathing fire?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1019313663059087361

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1167872172221583361

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1148948550891577344

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Saturday Night in the mouth

Monday Morning in the rear end

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
"Creamed Fish in Aspic"

"Under The Sea Salad"

Some sort of Suspended Pastry thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Distorted Kiwi posted:

"Creamed Fish in Aspic"

You had me* at "creamed fish"

The aspic might somehow improve it

*gagging

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would on the under the sea salad

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love Italians getting worked up over "authentic" carbonara, a dish made up to feed Americans that has existed for less time than boxed mac and cheese. Imagine a Chinese chef getting angry about egg roll recipes.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I love Italians getting worked up over "authentic" carbonara, a dish made up to feed Americans that has existed for less time than boxed mac and cheese. Imagine a Chinese chef getting angry about egg roll recipes.

Any time Italians start getting worked up about traditional food, just gently remind them that pasta came from China and tomatoes from America...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm annoyed that my favorite chinese dish basically doesn't exist in the US, I've made it a few times but it takes a bunch of ingredients that are hard to get, and you can't find it at chinese places here ever. It would be an american favorite if only they'd try, it's effectively hamburger helper with szechuan spices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapo_doufu

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just did a search on Yelp and like every other Chinese restaurant has it on their menu (San Diego). Maybe it's just the area you live in?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I live in texas and I've never seen it at a chinese place, sure I could find it but it would rule if it was as common as General Tso's or something. I've never met any americans that know what it is.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’ve heard of it, but probably through this very thread; drat do I wanna try some tho

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Anecdata: in suburban NJ, it's on the menu at four out of the five nearest to me American-Chinese restaurants. There are also a couple of Sichuan focused restaurants that have it ofc.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah pretty much every Chinese place in Buffalo has mapo tofu so I just assumed everyone was familiar with it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah, pretty much all of the Chinese places in my small Canadian city have it. It's delicious if you don't mind the texture of silken tofu.

Hell, I've made hundreds of virtual bowls of it in a Chinese MMO where you had to pay the subscription fee in Subway gift cards.

Lifesundeath I think the Chinese cooking thread in Goons with Spoons had a couple of pages about it a few pages back, worth checking to see if there are easier ways to get ingredients etc.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I got all the ingredients off of amazon a while back...my friend who's an amateur chef and goes to the asian market often makes it for me, so I get my fix that way. I had it in japan a ton of times, they have these lovely instant mapo dofu kits that are still way good, but nothing like my friend who makes it super authentic. Again, I feel like I've never seen it in Texas, but I feel like people would love it cause to me it's the ultimate comfort food but chinese.

This is the one my friend makes:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Looks good, though I like it more saucy. I should make some on Monday.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not popular because people associate tofu with weird vegan poo poo instead of being good food.

Anyway it's dead easy to make and all the ingredients are also easy to get in the US. Might have to go to Amazon for the huajiao but that's no biggie. Gravity's recipe in the GWS Chinese megathread is pretty good for your generic mapo tofu but it's one of those things that is made differently everywhere I ever had it in Sichuan, so feel free to experiment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm annoyed that my favorite chinese dish basically doesn't exist in the US, I've made it a few times but it takes a bunch of ingredients that are hard to get, and you can't find it at chinese places here ever. It would be an american favorite if only they'd try, it's effectively hamburger helper with szechuan spices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapo_doufu

Ubiquitous in the Boston area.

Can people stop saying “I can’t get this in my country” when something’s not available in their area/region? I don’t want to have to send the Carbonara Police out again.

It’s often with ground or minced pork here, which I guess is a mini-variation? Best around here is at Mary Chung in Cambridge.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Sep 22, 2019

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

a lot of chinese restaurants where i am have off the menu items, or completely separate menus for chinese folks who go. find out if any of your local places are run by someone from china, or are frequented by chinese people, and call to see if they have it, or can make it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ubiquitous in the Boston area.

Can people stop saying “I can’t get this in my country” when something’s not available in their area/region? I don’t want to have to send the Carbonara Police out again.

It’s often with ground or minced pork here, which I guess is a mini-variation? Best around here is at Mary Chung in Cambridge.

Actually making it with pork mince is the authentic way as beef is too expensive in China by comparison. The wikipedia thing is a bit misleading in that it uses the word 'traditionally' instead of 'commonly.

I cook this dish from Fushia Dunlop's Szechuanese cookbook Land of Plenty and it is wonderful while remaining simple. I haven't had it while in China but I will insist next time I go (typically all the food is amazing so I haven't got to it yet).

If you can find chili bean paste and fermented black beans the rest of the ingredients are much more common. Go to an Asian grocer and most likely they will stock everything, .just ask them. The tofu firmness is less an issue but it is meant to be on the softer side...But I use firm and it's still wonderful. There are a million variations on this dish so do what you like. I like more ginger than recomended. Some takeaway joints here in Australia put more sugar in while more authentic places will have more toasted Szechuan peppers . It will convert people to recognising tofu as a really great ingredient.

A Perfect Twist has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Sep 22, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I live in texas and I've never seen it at a chinese place, sure I could find it but it would rule if it was as common as General Tso's or something. I've never met any americans that know what it is.

Texas is a food hellscape.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Counterpoint: I can get excellent Thai and world class Mexican in a <5k population Texas town.

e. Counter-counterpoint, the excellent Thai place has to bill itself as Chinese because inbred racist fucks can't tell the difference between Chinese and Thai food.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Sep 22, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is Mabo Don pretty much the Japanese version of that? It's my favorite dish at my family's favorite Japanese restaurant. It sounds like the same thing - minced meat (pork in this case) with tofu in a spicy sweet sauce.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is Mabo Don pretty much the Japanese version of that? It's my favorite dish at my family's favorite Japanese restaurant. It sounds like the same thing - minced meat (pork in this case) with tofu in a spicy sweet sauce.

You can safely assume that anything Japanese that's suspiciously similar in name and contents to a Chinese dish is a Chinese transplant. Even ramen descends from Chinese noodle dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes. You can also tell it's the Japanese modification by the "sweet" part of the sauce.