Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Having continued watching the Japanese guy play through FFV very poorly (he wiped to Antlion multiple times and had to throw practically all his weapons at the mid-game Exdeath to beat him after about 10 failed attempts) my mind was mildly blown when I realized that the name of Enuō is literally just the letters "N O" said out loud in Japanese. Probably not a coincidence that the Void is also just the lone kanji 無 which indicates non-existence. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kanfy posted:

Having continued watching the Japanese guy play through FFV very poorly (he wiped to Antlion multiple times and had to throw practically all his weapons at the mid-game Exdeath to beat him after about 10 failed attempts) my mind was mildly blown when I realized that the name of Enuō is literally just the letters "N O" said out loud in Japanese. Probably not a coincidence that the Void is also just the lone kanji 無 which indicates non-existence. Neat.

:aaaaa:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

The White Dragon posted:

globe trotting in the garden loving suuuuuuuuuuucks that poo poo moves slower than squall and you can only fly up beaches

anytime I was moving on the overworld in a vehicle, I had the 3x speed booster on it makes it so much more tolerable.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kanfy posted:

fuuuuuuuuck

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Reach endgame state in FFX this week, and just did the first part of Sin last night (grounding him at Bevelle).

Apparently I have max affection with Lulu, because she uttered a completely nonsensical "Let's do it together, me and you" line to Tidus in reference to going in to the final showdown. That has to be the worst implemented version of the generally-not-great affection mechanic, because it came straight out of nowhere. Apparently her throwing the blitzball to you and sitting on a snowmobile way back in Machalania means she wants to ditch all the team, including the girl the entire game has centered around?

Just bizarre. Might be a bad translation I guess?

Edit: Otherwise, I forgot how good FFX's endgame stage is (both in terms of the scale of taking on Sin, and also the amount of additional content/superbosses that are available)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

fightwithcrayons posted:

Edit: Otherwise, I forgot how good FFX's endgame stage is (both in terms of the scale of taking on Sin, and also the amount of additional content/superbosses that are available)

My main problem with it, aside from all the grinding you'll need to do in order to beat said superbosses, is how boring the final dungeon is. I agree that the scale of what you're doing is good though and that the final boss is fun.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

fightwithcrayons posted:

That has to be the worst implemented version of the generally-not-great affection mechanic, because it came straight out of nowhere.
I parse that in the sense that she's particularly keen to work together with Tidus, not that she wants to do it without the help of anyone else in the party.

The affection mechanics are really rather minor in FFX; generally, whoever you talk to first of your crew whenever the party's split up gets points and then no one else does for that scene, but also special dialogue options up to Lake Macalania can hand out points, too. Plus, if Tidus heals a party member or takes a hit for them, it increases 1 point, but if he attacks a party member it decreases 1 point.

There's only 4 scenes in the game where it comes up: after Yuna goes into Seymour's mansion (either Lulu or Rikku will be the one to talk to Tidus, depending on which value is higher), the snowmobile ride (either Lulu, Rikku, Auron or Kimahri will ride with/alongside Tidus), the cutscene before Sin's core, and the cutscene after that but before the last battle with Sin (it determines who talks after Brother's non-Al Bhed conversation with Tidus).

And, of course, which of the three girls throws the ball in Blitz Ace.

Lulu turns out to be the easiest to max out with dialogue options - she has 220 compared to even Yuna's 2nd place 156.
Then there's Rikku at 136, Wakka at 102, Kimahri at 88, and Sir Auron only has a total of 78 possible points from talking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hogama posted:

I parse that in the sense that she's particularly keen to work together with Tidus, not that she wants to do it without the help of anyone else in the party.

The affection mechanics are really rather minor in FFX; generally, whoever you talk to first of your crew whenever the party's split up gets points and then no one else does for that scene, but also special dialogue options up to Lake Macalania can hand out points, too. Plus, if Tidus heals a party member or takes a hit for them, it increases 1 point, but if he attacks a party member it decreases 1 point.

There's only 4 scenes in the game where it comes up: after Yuna goes into Seymour's mansion (either Lulu or Rikku will be the one to talk to Tidus, depending on which value is higher), the snowmobile ride (either Lulu, Rikku, Auron or Kimahri will ride with/alongside Tidus), the cutscene before Sin's core, and the cutscene after that but before the last battle with Sin (it determines who talks after Brother's non-Al Bhed conversation with Tidus).

And, of course, which of the three girls throws the ball in Blitz Ace.

Lulu turns out to be the easiest to max out with dialogue options - she has 220 compared to even Yuna's 2nd place 156.
Then there's Rikku at 136, Wakka at 102, Kimahri at 88, and Sir Auron only has a total of 78 possible points from talking.

Seriously? I have only ever gotten Lulu and Rikku. I thought it was jut the women who had affection meters. How the hell do you get Auron on the snowmobile?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My main problem with it, aside from all the grinding you'll need to do in order to beat said superbosses, is how boring the final dungeon is. I agree that the scale of what you're doing is good though and that the final boss is fun.

Its awful final dungeon is one of FFX 's few notable flaws.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

fightwithcrayons posted:

I found myself enjoying the endgame content a lot for FFX despite being grind-adverse. I like the ways you can build unique weapon stats and sphere configurations, and the (Boss spoiler?)Dark Aeons were interesting fights where it felt like I really had to pay attention to the turn order.

There were some grindy parts that were absolute bullshit, and I wish some of the endgame stat spheres had been a little easier to accumulate since you need like 70+ of them, but otherwise it was good poo poo.

gently caress 0.0 though

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Seriously? I have only ever gotten Lulu and Rikku. I thought it was jut the women who had affection meters. How the hell do you get Auron on the snowmobile?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6FKGmbaKD8
Everyone starts at 0 affection.

Assuming we're just worrying about talking, the first person you speak to in a party split situation gets +4 affection points if they're a girl, or +2 affection points if they're a guy (I believe Kimahri gets the points even if all he does is glance at you and shrug when you try talking).
There's a bunch of specific things along the way that can give bonuses to certain characters, so without copying a full guide, the gist would be: basically don't compliment the girls and try to ignore them and talk to them as little as possible, and always talk to Auron first once he joins. There's just one point where you can get bonus points with Auron - on the Thunder Plains, when Rikku gets the team to stop at the Travel Agency, after talking to her inside Rin will walk in. He'll ask if it's really Sir Auron, you want to say "Nope, wrong guy." (+8 Auron) If you can avoid most/all of the other points and feed them all to Auron, it should get you his scene. (It's basically the same concept for Kimahri, but his bonus is watching him walk out of the item shop in Guadosalam)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There is eventually a mandatory chocobo race. You'll be in a room beforehand. There is a Materia in that room, and it is a complete dick and doesn't do an "Item here!" bling until you're leaving the room. If you don't nab it before doing so, it becomes unobtainable because you can never return to that room. Bar reloading a prior save, or somehow glitching yourself back to that point.

That is the meanest dick move I remember the game pulling off.

I always thought it weird that you couldn't dig up Ramuh at Bone Village if you missed it. You can dig up Bahamut ZERO and that's way easier to miss if you're playing through the game for the first time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sadly no one has ever seen the Kimahri snow mobile scene

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6FKGmbaKD8
Everyone starts at 0 affection.

Assuming we're just worrying about talking, the first person you speak to in a party split situation gets +4 affection points if they're a girl, or +2 affection points if they're a guy (I believe Kimahri gets the points even if all he does is glance at you and shrug when you try talking).
There's a bunch of specific things along the way that can give bonuses to certain characters, so without copying a full guide, the gist would be: basically don't compliment the girls and try to ignore them and talk to them as little as possible, and always talk to Auron first once he joins. There's just one point where you can get bonus points with Auron - on the Thunder Plains, when Rikku gets the team to stop at the Travel Agency, after talking to her inside Rin will walk in. He'll ask if it's really Sir Auron, you want to say "Nope, wrong guy." (+8 Auron) If you can avoid most/all of the other points and feed them all to Auron, it should get you his scene. (It's basically the same concept for Kimahri, but his bonus is watching him walk out of the item shop in Guadosalam)

Wow, that's pretty neat. I always knew FFX was the b est. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely t ry this next time I play X.

So if anyone cares, I'm loving my XIII-2 replay but I'm wondering about something. I just got to the Steppe storywise (in actuality I've been there for hours fighting monsters and collecting items and crystals) and I have been desperately trying to get the Wyvern enemy. It says he's tameable and as far as I know, the conditions to increase odds of getting a Monster Crystal are:
1. Star Rating, preferably 5 Stars
2. Defeating the enemy with a Feral Link
3. And I think having them fully Libra'ed/analyzed helps too?

I have done all of this multiple times and still nothing. Are there some monsters you just can't get right away even if you do all this? I feel like I remember a reward for Fragment collecting way down the road is increased chance to get Monster Crystals. Do you need something like that to realistically get some monsters?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 20, 2019

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Using Feral Links to beat monsters increases the chances they'll drop a crystal. That said afaik there's no limits on when you can get normal monsters like that (assuming you don't already have one, you can only get 1 of each specific monster). Some enemies have lower % chances than others, and it's just pure RNG (this gets annoying in the speedruns too).

And yeah there's a fragment you get in Serendipity from getting all the fragments in Vile Peaks that increases the chance of crystals by 20% which is really good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Using Feral Links to beat monsters increases the chances they'll drop a crystal. That said afaik there's no limits on when you can get normal monsters like that (assuming you don't already have one, you can only get 1 of each specific monster). Some enemies have lower % chances than others, and it's just pure RNG (this gets annoying in the speedruns too).

And yeah there's a fragment you get in Serendipity from getting all the fragments in Vile Peaks that increases the chance of crystals by 20% which is really good.

Huh , I had no idea that only Feral Link wins added to the chances of getting a crystal. I figured rank had to play into i t.

But I've beaten this fucker like 20 times and won with Feral Links about 10 times. I even wondered if the type of FL mattered so I went from Single Press to Multiple and won with that. Still nothing.

I have so many Potent Slivers now but no monster crystal. I just don't care anymore. He's already kinda rare an d spawns less than all other nearby enemies so waiting for him to show u p and then beating him over and over again for nothing sucks real hard,

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 20, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i never knew about that affection stuff, like ff7's gold saucer scene. so pointless!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Huh , I had no idea that only Feral Link wins added to the chances of getting a crystal. I figured rank had to play into i t.

Sigh, do I have to do the meme

"Actually if you read the datalogs..."

Yeah it's not really obvious or intuitive imo. I *think* it helps if it's the last monster in the fight but I honestly have no verification on that and it's a wild guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Help Im Alive posted:

Sadly no one has ever seen the Kimahri snow mobile scene

I just looked it up online and that's a shame. Decent characterization for Tidus.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

I just looked it up online and that's a shame. Decent characterization for Tidus.

Where he expresses the frustrations of being a homosexual Furry? (Not that there's anything wrong with that. Well, maybe the Furry part...)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schwartzcough posted:

Where he expresses the frustrations of being a homosexual Furry? (Not that there's anything wrong with that. Well, maybe the Furry part...)

This post sucks

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No one loves Kihmari.

Especially Kimarhi.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kimahri has no horn, he sure as hell has no friends.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
HORnlESS hORNLESS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Seriously, he's so focused on his problems and the narrative is usually him silently watching stuff and then just talking about his feelings in flashback. When Kimhari says "Ronso are strict Yevonites, but Rikku's trying to protect Yuna so I respect her despite the doctrine about Al Behd" and his response is "you should find a chance to tell her that, she needs to know there are people on her side after Wakka blew up" it's the first time I can recall him sincerely in-the-moment caring about someone's feelings other than the awkward "lovesick and hasn't got a clue what's actually going on" stuff with Yuna.

In my opinion it flows better than a lot of the voice acting as well. So much of the game is sped up or pausing to match the animation and I didn't feel any of that watching this one scene.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 21, 2019

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wonder how X's final dungeon would have played out if I had not spent several hours playing the monster arena. Having the optional side quests make you strong enough to one shot the final boss seems like an odd design decision.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I wonder how X's final dungeon would have played out if I had not spent several hours playing the monster arena. Having the optional side quests make you strong enough to one shot the final boss seems like an odd design decision.

fun fact the pagodas will revive with as much HP as what you overkill them with + 5000, so if you're dumb like me and don't know that and you use Oblivion on them when you're super over the expected stats then they come back as basically unkillable healing/death machines and the fight turns out pretty much unwinnable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In all my years online in the FF Fandom, I don't think I've ever seen a discussion of just the various sequels and prequels. Plenty of talks about which games are good or bad but no focus on just the sequels and prequels and comparing them to one another.

I've always thought XIII-2 took a lot of obvious inspiration from X-2.
1. They are both significantly more light-hearted than their predecessors.
2. While X and XIII are the most linear games in the series, X-2 and XIII-2 are the most non-linear games in the series.I'd say something like at least half the content in the two sequels is totally optional.
3. Sharply reduced party size.
4. Controlling monsters. (a similarity I didn't even know about given I never played X-2 International or HD)

But despite their similarities, I greatly prefer XIII-2. Which is a bit strange since X is the best Final Fantasy game for me while XIII is pretty far down my list. I enjoyed some of what X-2 did with Yuna and Paine and the world at large but I did not appreciate them dumping the best battle system in the series. Also I find a lot of X-2's attempt at charm and humor to fall flat. Maybe this is the source of the problem. I thought X was a wonderfully-crafted tragedy while XIII was, well, not. So X-2 moving away from that tone which was so well done bugs me while XIII-2 veering off and doing its own thing was very welcome. Also if we bring their respective soundtracks into this, XIII-2 slaughters X-2. X-2 has some spectacular music but it's few and far between.

But even beyond all that, XIII-2 is the game where they just threw everything at a wall to see what stuck. Dialogue options? Sure why not. QTEs? Sounds good. Multiple endings? Yep. loving quiz games? You betcha. I love it. I think it mixes the utterly wacky with some actually good and serious writing in thee form of Noel, Yeul and Caius. I can't say I was ever very engaged with X-2's plot outside of the Crimson Squad stuff.

So for me it goes XIII-2 > X-2 > Dirge of Cerberus.

But yeah, I have not played Crisis Core or The After Years or Lightning Returns orRevenant Wings or any of the Tactics games so I can't talk about them. But I didn't want to narrow this down to just two games. I'd like to hear from people who have played all the FF prequels and sequels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crisis Core and Lightning Returns are probably the best sequel/prequels overall. They both have flaws but by and large they do a better job of being something interesting and unique. FFX-2 is up there and is only really held back by all the weird nonsense designed to make you NG+ it.

Pretty much all the others are various degrees of mediocre to bad aside from the Tactics games which are basically sequels in name only.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I really like Lightning Returns because it's a Valkyrie Profile game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lightning Returns is an ok Valkyrie Profile which makes it a fantastic Final Fantasy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Crisis Core and Lightning Returns are probably the best sequel/prequels overall. They both have flaws but by and large they do a better job of being something interesting and unique. FFX-2 is up there and is only really held back by all the weird nonsense designed to make you NG+ it.

Pretty much all the others are various degrees of mediocre to bad aside from the Tactics games which are basically sequels in name only.

I've thought about emulating CC sometime when the mood strikes me. It was pretty popular back in the day, although I'd say the opinion on it has soured somewhat with time. What's the gameplay like?

LR is about Lightning and therefore I don't care about it. Might as well have made Cait Sith Returns. I also know the story such as it is from watching cutscenes on YT so all it has left is gameplay and I was not interested by what I saw.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 21, 2019

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't looked at CC but the direct sequels to 10 and 13 sucked out loud and were kind of boring respectively and I finished neither. FF4's direct sequel is universally regarded as terrible too. The game mechanics "improvements" in the ones I've played always seem to make changes for the worse, and the story is fanfiction-level incoherent and floundering garbage that I couldn't bring myself to even marginally care about.

I still think it's a shame that FF13 was so poorly received. If Snow and Hope had been just a bit less insufferable and Square didn't go quite so far up their own rear end with the ~*fabula nova crystalis mythology*~ and the villain's nonsense motivations it would have been an entirely solid game. The stagger mechanic and the glass cannon nature of everything on the battlefield makes for much more exciting gameplay than every other installment to date, the aesthetics of the game are lovely (even if the PC port is a trainwreck and seems to chug harder on new PCs than on old ones), and the pacing post-Anima is almost perfect.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I've thought about emulating CC sometime when the mood strikes me. It was pretty popular back in the day, although I'd say the opinion on it has soured somewhat with time. What's the gameplay like?

LR is about Lightning and therefore I don't care about it. Might as well have made Cait Sith Returns. I also know the story such as it is from watching cutscenes on YT so all it has left is gameplay and I was not interested by what I saw.

Crisis Core is a pretty simple action RPG- you move in basic 3D arenas and get some basic attacks and can equip materia to get access to a few additional attacks. You spend a fair amount of time getting interrupted by the game's obnoxious slot machine gimmick, but otherwise the combat's a good time when the challenge is right. Which.... leads to the main problem (besides Genesis) with Crisis Core: the game's difficulties are wildly unbalanced. Normal's pretty much a cakewalk if you put any amount of thought into your build, while Hard is a bigger challenge... but only because the HP and damage numbers of the enemies get bloated into the stratosphere so unless you're using a cheese build like Costly Punch every fight takes forever and you die in three hits so you gotta play scared as hell, making these slogs even sloggier.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The best thing in CC is the game gives you some super hard side missions early.on your meant to wait on but you can cheese one of them by just hugging the walls so you dont fet pulled into the set fights and you just get to the end and you can get big rewards real fast.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the layout of the ragnarok doesn’t make any sense!!!! i’m having an existential crisis over here

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

romanowski posted:

the layout of the ragnarok doesn’t make any sense!!!! i’m having an existential crisis over here

So it's a metaphor for the rest of FFVIII.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There is actually a second set of stairs in the Ragnarok but you just keep forgetting because of GFs!!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Catching butterflies in FFX is annoying and dumb holy poo poo.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I dunno if I got lucky RNG or something but I literally don't understand what people complain about with the butterfly catching