Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

It's uhhh this place

Wait sorry no that's from a different game. It's this place:

No, this place-

Taxxe:

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

akkristor posted:

So, if the PU does eventually become a thing, do we have ANY guarantee that ships we've purchased will actually be usable in it?

You have your submarine as a wallpaper, you are already playing the game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
For anyone interested in the Star Citizen affiliated mobile weather app, here's a pointless video :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYGuDGg0eg

:lol:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

akkristor posted:

So, if the PU does eventually become a thing, do we have ANY guarantee that ships we've purchased will actually be usable in it?

You might be able to sell it on the grey market.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

For anyone interested in the Star Citizen affiliated mobile weather app, here's a pointless video :v:

:question::question::question: “i'm not playing my vidjagame today. the weather is too bad.“ :question::question::question:

as always, star citizen makes no sense

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bumble He posted:

:question::question::question: “i'm not playing my vidjagame today. the weather is too bad.“ :question::question::question:

as always, star citizen makes no sense

The idea is it'll show you the weather inside star citizen. But right now there is no weather inside star citizen.

Typical CIG; make a partnership with a 3rd party, the other party holds up their end, CIG completely forgets they even promised it in the first place as they've promised 20 new features since.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Speaking of partnerships, have there been any updates on their FOIP camera project?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

Speaking of partnerships, have there been any updates on their FOIP camera project?

What does your heart tell you?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The custom Saitek flight stick is coming soon.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

akkristor posted:

I'm one of those sad saps that backed a concept ship. The RSI Orion. I had the opportunity to go for a refund, and decided not to. Hell, i keep the Orion as my desktop wallpaper to remind me NOT to invest that much money in kickstarter games and the like again. (Ironically, the one time that it convinced me NOT to invest was the BATTLETECH kickstarter. Was going to invest and get a House Steiner flight jacket. Thankfully the game came out and is great).

Ok, that aside. So, if we assume for the moment that the PU will eventually become a thing.

Early in the game's stretch goals, back when Stretch Goals actually unlocked new ships rather than being driven by new ship sales, each ship when unlocked had a separate stretch goal for being usable in the PU.
(Example: Bengal Carrier unlocked at 5.5 mil. Added to PU at 6mil)

One of the coolest of the infinite facets of incompetence that Chris Roberts displays is that the entire conceit, and income, of Star Citizen revolves around ships. Selling ships, flying ships, ships having different characteristics, ships unlocking gameplay features, etc.

Now taking that into account, guess which part of the game doesn't work, has never worked, and will never work. Think about that: the front-facing portion of this scam is the most obviously broken part. It's not designed well, it's not thought-out well, and the code is completely broken and will stay that way until the project finally collapses. If the code worked it would crumble under the design decisions. If those worked it would crumble under the pricing scheme. The only thing CIG has ever designed perfectly is a trap with no way out, and now they're sitting in it.

So to answer your question, it depends on your definition of the word "usable." Is it theoretically possible that a 3D image of your ship is visible within the game map? Yes. Anything beyond that? Most likely not.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Star Citizen "will have" ship rentals the same way Tesla "will have" robotaxis. It's another way that Chris Roberts and Elon Musk are the same type of idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i have asked this question in the GBS thread and i will ask it here. how the gently caress do these still buy into this game, in the best case situation, roberts and his team are gonna make broken and super unfocused MMO game that you could play on gmod servers. at worst, its a loving scam. it know its sunk cost mixed with sad nerds but wtf.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

One response.

"That's the type of experience the game is aiming for."

Ah... in that case...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tsar Mikey posted:

Star Citizen "will have" ship rentals the same way Tesla "will have" robotaxis. It's another way that Chris Roberts and Elon Musk are the same type of idiot.
of course tesla would be on the bad guy's side in robotwar.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You might be able to sell it on the grey market.

Nope, it's my individual idiot tax.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have asked this question in the GBS thread and i will ask it here. how the gently caress do these still buy into this game, in the best case situation, roberts and his team are gonna make broken and super unfocused MMO game that you could play on gmod servers. at worst, its a loving scam. it know its sunk cost mixed with sad nerds but wtf.

The reason why this has been covered so long is because this project defies all logic.

There's a couple of "big" names that are no longer with their respective companies that made them and their work famous and started kickstarters for their own projects. You got Keiji Inafune of Mega Man fame (whole different can of worms on that one) with Mighty No.9, Koji Igarashi of Castlevania:Symphony of the Night fame and really any castlevania you can enjoy playing, Yu Suzuki of Shenmue fame, Julian Gollop of XCOM fame, etc, etc, etc.

Chris Roberts has managed to tap into the same energy of nostalgia to get his project funded. The difference between him and the rest of the people i mentioned before (the exception of Keiji Inafune) is that the rest of the gallery had a plan and knew when to stop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

One of the coolest of the infinite facets of incompetence that Chris Roberts displays is that the entire conceit, and income, of Star Citizen revolves around ships. Selling ships, flying ships, ships having different characteristics, ships unlocking gameplay features, etc.

Hey now, that's not fair! They sell ground vehicles that don't work as well.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You got Keiji Inafune of Mega Man fame (whole different can of worms on that one) with Mighty No.9,

Fun fact - Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was also his fault. He even came up with the character for Yaiba.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 22, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this is the games forum animal thread right?

https://i.imgur.com/k8sVIuH.mp4

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey now, that's not fair! They sell ground vehicles that don't work as well.

Fun fact - Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was also his fault. He even came up with the character for Yaiba.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. Why the gently caress were there zombies in the game again?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay thread, here's a math problem for you.

There are 5 caves per entire loving planet. They are not sign-posted in any way. They are approximately 10 meters wide. Let's assume that the entire server population, like say 1,000 players, was all simultaneously on a single planet searching for caves. Each of them can search an area that is maybe 500 meters wide, at a speed of ~200mph. The planet is roughly the size of the moon.

What is the probability that they would find even one? What is the probability that CIG didn't even release this feature?

Easy. With how heavily tiled everything is you'll be able to see the patch of texture designed for cave from space. It will look like a blemish on a tesslelation.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

It's uhhh this place
Wallrunning.png

Ah my first mistake was assuming they were producing original content.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why would you ever assume that of CiG?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

The idea is it'll show you the weather inside star citizen. But right now there is no weather inside star citizen.

Typical CIG; make a partnership with a 3rd party, the other party holds up their end, CIG completely forgets they even promised it in the first place as they've promised 20 new features since.

implimenting weather systems...that would be quite the challenge hehe
but then again you just need a sun to warm the atmospere right?
then all the known weather phenomenons will appear automatically.
can be done in two days, make it so!

strangely weather was not part of the famous stretchgoals:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. Why the gently caress were there zombies in the game again?

I have never even heard of that game but the answer is that there is a Z in the title.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sarsapariller posted:

To put this in context for people not playing the game: The average mission earns about 5k right now and takes 15 minutes. It is not possible to compound this with harder missions, or big trade runs, because both of those things are permanently broken. The most I've ever earned in-game is 100k and that was during the brief era when drug running was an option. The money in your account is reset every 3 months.

These ships are effectively un-rentable, which is what was expected after the in-game purchase prices became known. Renting a cutlass for 24 hours would require a week of painstaking work in ships that were already substantially better. Renting a 600i is flat-out impossible.

Hahaha what are you, some instant gratification millennial who needs a participation trophy? This universe isn't for you soy boys :smuggo:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bumble He posted:

implimenting weather systems...that would be quite the challenge hehe
but then again you just need a sun to warm the atmospere right?
then all the known weather phenomenons will appear automatically.
can be done in two days, make it so!

strangely weather was not part of the famous stretchgoals:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Emergent devlopment.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Fargin Icehole posted:

There's a couple of "big" names that are no longer with their respective companies that made them and their work famous and started kickstarters for their own projects. You got Keiji Inafune of Mega Man fame (whole different can of worms on that one) with Mighty No.9, Koji Igarashi of Castlevania:Symphony of the Night fame and really any castlevania you can enjoy playing, Yu Suzuki of Shenmue fame, Julian Gollop of XCOM fame, etc, etc, etc.

What happened with his next project anyway, did it die of overambition too? I remember it was going to have a system that makes the enemies evolve and adapt to your gameplay, which seemed like it could be a neat idea.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phoenix Point? It's supposed to come out in December this year.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Phoenix Point? It's supposed to come out in December this year.

As far as I know, it's still on track but I'm also not in early access so idk...their gameplay videos look cool. Tho I'm p sure not as cool as making the bad guys cry like an anime fan on prom night.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I played the beta of Phoenix Point and I found it to be really stupid because your units have a limited amount of ammo they bring with them and getting more means you have to scour the map you're on to find chests and poo poo and the ammo in a chest is random in type and amount and you have to transfer it between squad members manually and that was the most tedious poo poo I could think of anyone adding complexity to their game

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I haven't been paying attention to the early access gameplay because gently caress paying to be a tester, but it hasn't been cancelled or anything. Sad to hear that it's not going too well, more X-Com games are always welcome. I hope they iron the issues out by release.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I played the beta of Phoenix Point and I found it to be really stupid because your units have a limited amount of ammo they bring with them and getting more means you have to scour the map you're on to find chests and poo poo and the ammo in a chest is random in type and amount and you have to transfer it between squad members manually and that was the most tedious poo poo I could think of anyone adding complexity to their game

This is the kind of fidelity Chris Roberts dreams of

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

All the ammo in crates is persistent and physically modelled. Use Grabby Hands to get it. Players can stash spare ammo in secret boxes for later use :v:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Emergent stupidity.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But enough about Derek Smart's hit game, Line of Defense Tactics

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

TheDarkFlame posted:

What happened with his next project anyway, did it die of overambition too? I remember it was going to have a system that makes the enemies evolve and adapt to your gameplay, which seemed like it could be a neat idea.

After raising the initial funds to work on it via fig and promising backers it'd be on gog/steam and drm free they went to Epic and got an exclusivity deal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aleth posted:

After raising the initial funds to work on it via fig and promising backers it'd be on gog/steam and drm free they went to Epic and got an exclusivity deal.

You can get it on PC minus Epic if you subscribe to the XBox PC game pass :ssh:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Only two buggy options for starter players.

More options for Pay2Win players.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A skimmer destruction money grind, eh?

I know people have pointed to E:D as a good example of doing space games, but that doesn't mean you should do an exact remake of E:D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The reason why this has been covered so long is because this project defies all logic.

Chris Roberts has managed to tap into the same energy of nostalgia to get his project funded. The difference between him and the rest of the people i mentioned before (the exception of Keiji Inafune) is that the rest of the gallery had a plan and knew when to stop.

like part of me genuinly thinks its not a scam in the traditional sense, at least with roberts. roberts is very much a George Broussard type mixed with kojima. the problem is he doesn't know when to stop. the game if it comes out will be an unfocused mess. like you have to know when enough is enough and i don't think he does because he is desperate to make it super big and have hollywood love him. the stuff that rubs me the wrong way is making shits a couple grand irl. like gently caress that poo poo.