Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

King of Foolians posted:

Doesn’t that fight also take place against a backdrop of “The planet is going to explode in only 10 minutes!!!”, which really highlights how long it’s taking?

Not all of it does, it's actually a fight with a lot of beats and changes to it, but yes it definitely does end with the planet taking a few episodes to explode in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
The movies are generally pretty good. Just don't try to figure out where they fit in the show's storylines.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I miss the power levels.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

The movies are generally pretty good. Just don't try to figure out where they fit in the show's storylines.

They straight-up don't.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

grittyreboot posted:

I think Toriyama actually said they're alternate timelines split off from the main one, like where Future Trunks came from.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Toryiama has never thought about the movies that he didn’t personally write.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also, lol if you care about the continuity of Dragon Ball.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Edit: wrong thread

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Sep 22, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragon Ball Super gets extra confusing because there's a time travel arc that involves two completely different methods of time travel.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Byzantine posted:

They straight-up don't.

Ya, they basically condense arcs of the anime down into an hour and something movie with different villains. It's a fun exercise to see which part of the anime they're lifting for the script.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ElBrak posted:

Ya, they basically condense arcs of the anime down into an hour and something movie with different villains. It's a fun exercise to see which part of the anime they're lifting for the script.

In some cases it's the other way around, and parts of the anime are the movies but with some extra runtime to play with. I believe Super starts out by retelling two(?) of the previous movies.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Super starts by retelling the two recent canon movies and does a not very good job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Broly got popular because he's basically the only movie villain who isn't a rehash of a previous villain. (not counting Beerus) And of course they later on decided to make him canon, and also an actually interesting character while they were at it.

The last arc of Dragon Ball Super had a ton of references to the movies and even GT.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
You can tell Broly was the fanfiction character created by the writer of the movie which makes him especially lame and makes his popularity strange in my eyes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Wasn't his American voice actor accused of a bunch of sexual harassment/assault? I remember there being drama around it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyperhazard posted:

Wasn't his American voice actor accused of a bunch of sexual harassment/assault? I remember there being drama around it.

Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, a weird fundie who kept hitting on and groping underage girls at cons.

Thing is he still works pretty well for his core concept being basically the Dragon Ball version of the Incredible Hulk, even moreso when they play that up.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

In one of the more recent dbz videogames, the main villians recruit the noncanon movie villians into their scheme by telling them of their noncanon status, which upsets them enough to agree to the team up so they can dimension hop to the canon timeline and try to kill Goku because they blame him for their noncanon status

hyperhazard posted:

Yes. Vic Mignogia. Also did Edward Elric in FMA, and also admitted everything in the courtroom, saying he didn't see anything wrong with it, despite 30 years of people telling him no.

Lyrai has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Sep 22, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lyrai posted:

In one of the more recent dbz videogames, the main villians recruit the noncanon movie villians into their scheme by telling them of their noncanon status, which upsets them enough to agree to the team up so they can dimension hop to the canon timeline and try to kill Goku because they blame him for their noncanon status

Which character and which game? That's amazing.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which character and which game? That's amazing.

Dragonball Xenoverse 2. Lord Slug and Turles are recruited by Towa, and later she grabs Cooler as well.

Xenoverse takes itself exactly as seriously as Dragonball should.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hyperhazard posted:

Not only that, his case was so bad that none of the reputable lawfirms would take it.

He's got a lawyer so bad that Leonard J. Crabs would be a massive upgrade. His countersuit literally has a part that disputes his being a pile of poo poo. someone calling him a pile of poo poo, because Mr. Mignona is not a pile of feces and hence the statement is defamatory.

Dude filed a harassment Slander/Libel suit in a district where it's trivial to invalidate them, the loving lawyer forged Mignona's signature and completed his name with a popular font (he only had Vic, added 'tor' to make it all professional), and the judge has been receiving death threats from Vic stans.

Oh, and he's got a GoFundMe for the lawyer costs (despite being independently wealthy) so when he decides against resolution of the Libel suit through mediation it's likely the judge will ream him at Kaiokenx20 for all the costs. :allears:

The lawsuit is so hilarious that lawtwitter has a huge ongoing discussion called The Threadnought about it. lol

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Sep 22, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FilthyImp posted:

Not only that, his case was so bad that none of the reputable lawfirms would take it.

He's got a lawyer so bad that Leonard J. Crabs would be a massive upgrade. His countersuit literally has a part that disputes his being a pile of poo poo. someone calling him a pile of poo poo, because Mr. Mignona is not a pile of feces and hence the statement is defamatory.

Dude filed a harassment Slander/Libel suit in a district where it's trivial to invalidate them, the loving lawyer forged Mignona's signature and completed his name with a popular font (he only had Vic, added 'tor' to make it all professional), and the judge has been receiving death threats from Vic stans.

Oh, and he's got a GoFundMe for the lawyer costs (despite being independently wealthy) so when he decides against resolution of the Libel suit through mediation it's likely the judge will ream him at Kaiokenx20 for all the costs. :allears:

The lawsuit is so hilarious that lawtwitter has a huge ongoing discussion called The Threadnought about it. lol

There's a joke about human transmutation in all of this

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure Goku Vs. Freiza in Z still holds the world record for longest single fight in a visual medium or something like that. You cut it together and that poo poo's over five hours.

The battle at the end of the 4th Great Ninja War at the end of Naruto Shippuden could be longer, depending on what you count as a single fight.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898015

Here's the Vic Mignona discussion thread, if you want to follow along with how ridiculous the entire case has been.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah, from Diana's reaction in the tutorial mission in the new ones, nobody ever even imagined using a disguise in that universe before 47 invented doing so.

I think her surprise is that you beat a man unconscious and stole his clothes when there's an unused mechanic's uniform right next to him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Streaming rights seem to be killing syndication or something. It's probably mostly Disney's fault but they're making sure the only place you can catch reruns of Family Guy or Bob's Burgers is on a channel or streaming service affiliated with them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

With how acknowledging that everyone on whose line was in regards to the first African chant game they did I'm surprised they went back and did more. Wayne apologises (laughing) immediately before and after the first one, and the others looking uncomfortable.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

ilmucche posted:

With how acknowledging that everyone on whose line was in regards to the first African chant game they did I'm surprised they went back and did more. Wayne apologises (laughing) immediately before and after the first one, and the others looking uncomfortable.

It was worth it for Drew calling Africa a country and everyone ripping him apart for it for the rest of the show.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Streaming rights seem to be killing syndication or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It was worth it for Drew calling Africa a country and everyone ripping him apart for it for the rest of the show.

It's always been a tragedy that you can't easily watch old Whose Line (UK or US), but it's a testament to basically the show's entire cast that the most offensive things they got were from behind-the-scenes. You'd expect hundreds of episodes of improv comedy to have showcased some unintentional racism or something from the performers that survived just by law of large numbers, but it looks like it didn't!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cleretic posted:

It's always been a tragedy that you can't easily watch old Whose Line (UK or US), but it's a testament to basically the show's entire cast that the most offensive things they got were from behind-the-scenes. You'd expect hundreds of episodes of improv comedy to have showcased some unintentional racism or something from the performers that survived just by law of large numbers, but it looks like it didn't!

Presumably, there's someone on the production team who makes sure they cut and destroy anything too offensive.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"dog with a blog" has not aged well since no one blogs anymore

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It took me forever to realise why the points don't matter.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

"dog with a blog" has not aged well since no one blogs anymore

"dog with a vlog" however is still running strong.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It took me forever to realise why the points don't matter.

Why don't the points matter? Aside from the fact nothing matters.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why don't the points matter? Aside from the fact nothing matters.

Because they have to cut all the unfunny stuff out so it would be a pain to keep any real score.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

There are I think 3 UK seasons on Amazon Prime

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Sep 24, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

Presumably, there's someone on the production team who makes sure they cut and destroy anything too offensive.

Yeah, but it’s a 20 year old show so you’d expect there to at the very least be a bunch of stuff that would fly then but not now, but there’s really almost none of that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Some of the gay jokes on Whose line haven't aged exceptionally well, but they also basically never did gay panic jokes. If another man tried to kiss you on Whose line you let him, and you joined in enthusiastically, dammit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Shut up Meg posted:

There's surviving deleted scenes that confirm they were definitely doing that to some degree (there's some great ones of things like Ryan trying to sabotage so many hoedowns in a row through swearing that they stop trying to make him do it), and surely even more that didn't even survive by way of being funny, so there probably is some offensive stuff that was totally lost.

But the thing I'm surprised there isn't more of is the stuff that was acceptable if perhaps edgy at the time, but isn't cool now. That's what you'd have expected to make it to air, and yet there's none of it!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There are I think 3 UK seasons on Amazon Prime

I'd prefer not to give Amazon money if I can help it, but I do think I'd want a whole box set of the UK series more than the US now that I think about it. I think the US series was generally funnier, but the UK series has a lot more weird one-off games or performers that would be interesting to watch through all of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but it’s a 20 year old show so you’d expect there to at the very least be a bunch of stuff that would fly then but not now, but there’s really almost none of that.

Oh, I get you.

I thought he meant stuff where the producer would be saying 'Okay, Cut! And let's make a note to never use the 'things the cast of Seinfeld might say in a nightclub' scenario ever again'