Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Agreed; everything is pretty well documented, and you can preview skill trees at character creation. Unless you want specific pointers like what combinations are good for dps, utility or tanking, you can just go ahead and do whatever you feel like.

I usually play in a full party and I do take care to level some skills, like athletics or mechanics, more on one character than on the others, and I find having a character with really high perception along for the ride can come in handy. But it's not like "I need a rogue to handle traps and locks" or "I need a warrior to tank", or "If I don't max out Dex or Might I won't do any DPS".

Although, if you make a dwarven warrior and call him Professor Grog, you have to set his INT at 6. It's bad RP if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
How do bashing shields work in turn based mode?
Are they just a smidgen of free damage or is there some non-obvious drawback?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Berke Negri posted:

yeah unless you're on like POTD or doing some iron man thing you can't handicap yourself toooo much. and those latter difficulties are more just trying to gimmick your way through the game

its definitely possible to handicap yourself by building in a wrong direction (like make a straight rogue and dump all your stats but wisdom or whatever etc) but the game will point you where points should go for the most part so you'd have to kind of deliberately build that way

Plus even if you do that you'll have one bad guy in a party of 5, and the others have very obvious character progression paths. And the Watcher gets some nice story abilities so they're never useless.

It's certainly not NWN or Underrail or Pathfinder Kingmaker or any such game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Just reinstalled this first time since release and man, turn-based is such a nice addition and a joy to play. Real time was just too much for me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Trilin posted:

How do bashing shields work in turn based mode?
Are they just a smidgen of free damage or is there some non-obvious drawback?

The former

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Beat the game finally last night. Real good game, glad I switched to veteran: there were some really, really tough encounters but it was always satisfying to get through them because I had to dig deep in the toolbox and really think things through. Exactly what I'd hoped for and I hope there will be a successor some day.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Capn Beeb posted:

Reinstalled this last night, what are some fun/must have mods for another run?

I posted my mod list here though some links might be broken: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856099&userid=99741&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post497052863

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Let's stress out rope kid by wildly speculating who he is talking abt here

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

frajaq posted:

honestly I havent played in awhile but Paladin and Wizard are top tier classes and Dexterity is a very useful stat for Every Class

Important to note: Dexterity becomes absolutely useless for every class if you play in turn based.

Likewise...

Ginette Reno posted:

If you try the Obsidian Boards they have a character builds section and at least some of those will be up to date and you'll see people that post there. Can probably search on those of what class you're interested in and find some ideas.

This is half-true if you play turn based. The vast majority of builds in the Obsidian Boards are for RTwP, and while many of them also work fine in Turn based, that excludes anything that's connected to manipulating action speed.

It's basically the one huge problem in turn based - once single stat - action speed - goes from the most important to the least valuable, which wrecks havoc on a lot of things.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 23, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So this quote from this interview is interesting.

quote:

At Obsidian, there’s the team working on The Outer Worlds, a team that’s working on Pillars, and a team working on another secret thing.

I guess they could mean the folks helping to finish the console port, but I thought that was mostly supposed to be on Vs. Evil and the contract team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is half-true if you play turn based. The vast majority of builds in the Obsidian Boards are for RTwP, and while many of them also work fine in Turn based, that excludes anything that's connected to manipulating action speed.

It's basically the one huge problem in turn based - once single stat - action speed - goes from the most important to the least valuable, which wrecks havoc on a lot of things.

True. I'd say most rtwp builds will work on turn based even if they might not be as optimally built for that but yeah anything that is based on abusing action speed is gonna suffer in turn based.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anno posted:

So this quote from this interview is interesting.

I guess they could mean the folks helping to finish the console port, but I thought that was mostly supposed to be on Vs. Evil and the contract team.
There are job listings on their site calling for folks familiar with melee combat (first and third person), RPG menu UI, and one or two folks who know multiplayer

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Just noticed my Aloth has a bugged permanent slog zone affecting him, I've just started Beast of Winter, are there any slog zones early on in the DLC I can throw him into and pull him out of again? I'd rather not have to leave, but it's pretty tedious waiting for him.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are job listings on their site calling for folks familiar with melee combat (first and third person), RPG menu UI, and one or two folks who know multiplayer

https://twitter.com/klobrille/status/1175434997613957120

Getting that MS money to do the big first person console RPG they've always wanted? Next gen console launch maybe.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Let's stress out rope kid by wildly speculating who he is talking abt here

Might be this Kojima thing that sparked it, but let's be real you could meet 10 people with the title of "director" in any discipline and nine of them would probably be like that:
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1175733644742156288

Scorchy posted:

https://twitter.com/klobrille/status/1175434997613957120

Getting that MS money to do the big first person console RPG they've always wanted? Next gen console launch maybe.

I wonder if their long-term plan for Pillars is still to build spin-offs like Skyrim, but in the PoE setting. If there was ever a time to try it it'd be now, I guess!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I could see it working, although I dunno how much overlap there is between the PoE crowd and people who loved Skyrim. I'd be down for it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

I could see it working, although I dunno how much overlap there is between the PoE crowd and people who loved Skyrim. I'd be down for it.
The amount of ppl they would lose dropping the IE format would be absolutely dwarfed by the markets they could stand to gain from a shift to first or third person action.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The amount of ppl they would lose dropping the IE format would be absolutely dwarfed by the markets they could stand to gain from a shift to first or third person action.
agreed. and i don't like it one bit!!

a da style hybrid, properly done, could be an acceptable compromise. but i dunno. i feel that time has passed.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think the shift in sales going from Pillars 1 to 2 helps show that they really don't have all that much to lose from bailing on RTwP style combat.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Having both options seems like a nightmare from the perspective of balancing the game. I'm still amazed they did it with Poe2. And in fairness it hasn't completely worked since turn based has some balance issues with action speed being such a big part of builds in rtwp.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the setting of the Pillars games, but I don't know how interesting it would be if you took away everything else that made the games unique. I am still hoping for a third game with the same kind of style.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There really isn't any reason to assume the job openings are for something set in the Pillars universe. Yes, Obsidian's CEO talked about wanting to do a spin-off in first person, but they also just as likely might go with either a new IP or something from Microsoft's stable of IPs.

EDIT: By the way, I don't know who's involved in the hiring procedures at Obsidian and I'm assuming Rope Kid doesn't waste his time reading my inane screes, but I have to admit, I find the fact that "avid gamer" is considered a requirement for many of the position to be a bit daft. There are a lot of good candidates that probably don't play games all that much and can offer fresh perspectives!

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 23, 2019

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Perfect Dark :unsmigghh:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s a new fallout

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Starks posted:

It’s a new fallout
Is this speculation? Because I don't wish to become unduly excited.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s Kotor 3 I bet. Disney and Microsoft make sense.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

New Minecraft MMO

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

fuckpot posted:

Bethesda owns Fallout, so I'm gonna go with "this user on this comedic forum was probably joking".

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

fuckpot posted:

I’m sorry I just pulled it out of my rear end but a man can dream.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Archer Protocol IMO

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wouldn't let nu-Obsidian without Chris Avellone/John Gonzalez touch Fallout either

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally got back into this game after a few false starts. The more I play, the more I feel like they really did make this as close to BG2 as they could with the amount of poo poo you can get into. I’m sure I’m not saying anything new, but Neketaka is such a cool, deep city.

I went to Poko Kahara for my first venture out from the big city and the giant Engwithan statue fight was amazing. I did not expect that, and fighting large enemies is really nice looking. The dungeon was interesting and had clever encounters.

After returning to Neketaka, I got caught up in a whole Delvers Row situation which sent me beneath the city where I found a talking homicidal sword, and another cool dungeon area. I’m saved right before what I assume will be a boss fight - just opened the door that requires both shells.

Game is fun and good.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Oasx posted:

I like the setting of the Pillars games, but I don't know how interesting it would be if you took away everything else that made the games unique. I am still hoping for a third game with the same kind of style.

Same. I don't really give a poo poo about RTwP vs turn based, would be happy with either or some good hybrid or whatever. But I would like it the encounters to stay heavy on strategy and not dump that for action, which a perspective change kind of implies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eggnogium posted:

Same. I don't really give a poo poo about RTwP vs turn based, would be happy with either or some good hybrid or whatever. But I would like it the encounters to stay heavy on strategy and not dump that for action, which a perspective change kind of implies.

Something along the lines of the first Dragon Age game could be a bit of both and work ok. Keep the RTwP and have an over the shoulder camera, then be able to zoom up and out for tactics.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I also just really like the graphics on the pillars games. I don't understand why someone can look at beautiful 2D graphics, and not be interested because it's not 3D.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Infinity engine games still look excellent to this day.

Neverwinter Nights looks like total rear end.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jabor posted:

The Infinity engine games still look excellent to this day.

Neverwinter Nights looks like total rear end.

You can mod nwn heavily to make it look nice(r). The engine can support surprisingly larger polygon counts and larger draw distances than the original content contains. Check out the official Beamdog Aribeth and Hall of Justice remodel mods, for an example.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I dunno, to me Infinity ending RPGs look like those original models are worse than, say, Dragon Age Origins. Pillars too doesn't feel like it trades camera control and freedom of level design for better visuals; it doesn't look any better than, say, Divinity Original Sin 1/2 which also feature changing environment, camera close-ups, interaction with a lot of items right there on the map, huge locations. Even with forced perspective PoE1 and especially 2 features a lot of 3D graphics - all the animated elements, all the water, ships and so on. So I see this forced perspective as one of the contributions to the nostalgia, just like an inherently inferior RtwP model or D&D homages. But at least it doesn't affect gameplay as much, it feels like it made dev job harder, not force them to sacrifice features.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

frajaq posted:

I wouldn't let nu-Obsidian without Chris Avellone/John Gonzalez touch Fallout either

yeah, wouldn't want them to ruin that perfect, pristine product line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Deadfire looks excellent and far, far better than Divinity: Original Sin 2, which didn't even look as good as the game it's a sequel for. Admittedly, there are trade-offs to having pre-rendered maps, but I feel like, as long as Pillars was RTwP, those trade-offs would exist anyway. It's not like Pathfinder: Kingmaker was much more interactive in terms of level design.