Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wouldn't that imply caring about redemption? At this point they've given up on their humanity and seem pretty content with the idea of beings slaves to an immortal language god Tendo Akane, and having everyone else join them.

Maybe the puppy will make it out alright, but that's gonna be a Symphogear version of "Go on, git! We don't care about you! (we really do care about you but we're going to die, so)"

well fudo's plan involved having control over shem-ha, but that obviously didn't work. a person would also have a change of focus after being killed and then resurrected by a god.

Nate RFB posted:

It definitely felt like it was the intention to make it a big part of the Fudo arc that they felt compelled to finish this season but due to just not having enough runtime to juggle it effectively with Shem-ha means it's just this weird grim and dark thread that never really worked. "The writing has forgotten about it" is a definitely on point.

Endorph posted:

I think noble red just killed a ton of people as a weak callback to season 1 and that plot point would have been better off dropped because it wasnt needed for tsubasas character arc and it just made noble red hard to click with, and it feels like the writing has already forgotten about it

yeah this seems to be the problem. at times it feels like i'm watching a cliff notes version of the actual season. i also don't remember a whole lot of this cutting off a scene and then flashbacking to it later in previous seasons, but my memory on symphogear isn't the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lessail posted:

yeah this seems to be the problem. at times it feels like i'm watching a cliff notes version of the actual season. i also don't remember a whole lot of this cutting off a scene and then flashbacking to it later in previous seasons, but my memory on symphogear isn't the greatest.

They did it a bunch in symphogear G-it's actually probably my biggest hangup of the season alongside the constant cliffhangers, because it left a really frustrating feeling inside of me as I watched that season-it makes it harder to understand the character's motivations and frame of mind in favor of cheap drama.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/golden_nabe/status/1174334719518863360?s=20

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wish we had made more progress against Shemha herself in this ep, but otherwise I really liked Noble Red's conclusion, what's likely to be Chris' last big focus fight, and that last big S1 callback.

Boy I hope they stick the landing next episode.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That last shot of Hibiki is the stuff of legends. :staredog:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna kiss the gently caress outta God

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad they're gone :shrug:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm glad they're gone :shrug:

I feel bad for Elsa, it always just seemed like she was along for the ride and couldn't do much about it.

Vanessa and Millaarc got what they deserved.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Hazard_Lv4/status/1175446046631088129?s=20

That type of shot isn't unique in any way, but I'm still glad of the comparison.

I'm more or less fine with how Noble Red went out. Vanessa at least kept trying to keep the act up but obviously didn't believe it and probably never really did, they'd just given up on any alternatives. Would've liked to see Chris get to do more with her amalgam form.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chumbler posted:

https://twitter.com/Hazard_Lv4/status/1175446046631088129?s=20

That type of shot isn't unique in any way, but I'm still glad of the comparison.

I'm more or less fine with how Noble Red went out. Vanessa at least kept trying to keep the act up but obviously didn't believe it and probably never really did, they'd just given up on any alternatives. Would've liked to see Chris get to do more with her amalgam form.

Millaarc kept the act up as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How are we gonna defeat a God, and then have a wedding in just 23 minutes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squiddycat posted:

How are we gonna defeat a God, and then have a wedding in just 23 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkIJYrjUYyQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hibiki wants her girlfriend back.

Yesterday.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

iospace posted:

Hibiki wants her girlfriend back.

Yesterday.

But she's still going to grab Chris inappropriately in the meantime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ogawa's family is incredible

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That's honestly an okay conclusion Noble Red. It would probably feel better if it wasn't basically a retread of the alchemists last season, but it's fine, since this season is pretty much Symphogear's Greatest Hits. I'm actually kind of surprised Elza didn't make it out.

Looking forward to Hibiki's final upgrade where she separates Miku from Shem-ha and then they beat up god while getting married.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope Miku gets to sing something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Shenshojing is like right there they have to let Miku use it again

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sindai posted:

Shenshojing is like right there they have to let Miku use it again

That and we've got a dangling plot point of "the villain is an immortal memetic virus corrupting all of humanity" and Shenshojing's entire thing is purifying things, so....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

That and we've got a dangling plot point of "the villain is an immortal memetic virus corrupting all of humanity" and Shenshojing's entire thing is purifying things, so....

Hibiki and Miku are going to do a Unison, and it will be one of the gayest scenes ever animated.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

the decision to put fudo in magic jail is looking worse and worse

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess that's about a good of an ending as was possible; I don't feel particularly strong about it positively or negatively as I don't think it really salvages the weaker parts of this season but does at least provide some closure to the various events of GX/AXZ/XV. Not subbing the songs in the literal final episode was real weak, though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I liked the ending but series was messy as all Symphogears tend to be. I also wish we got more of an epilogue and that makes some of the wasted time in earlier episodes stand out more

But Hibiki/Miku strong and this also pretty much sets up the mobage plot too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah no real epilogue is a bit lame, but otherwise it was more or less just fine. I'm probably more annoyed that gotta kill off Carol too, suffer no prior or current season antagonists to live (excluding Maria, Shirabe, and Kirika). I did like Fine's efforts still being relevant and ultimately saving the day, though. Miku's gear being basically straight up a wedding dress was amusing.

Edit: I get that Carol dying for good this time was about the relics of the past handing the future to humanity, but I'm still mildly annoyed, and it also conflicts with at least Noble Red if not the alchemist trio also needing to die, because they weren't exactly relics of the past. At least she got to be a hero for a good chunk of the finale.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 28, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I got my wish of Miku in mobage gear and fighting even if they waited a bit too long for my tastes so I was happy

Actually the ending felt like a Precure ending in that they had to rush stuff and welp a lot stuff for the non main cast didn't get enough time. Hope we get movies and stuff just isn't left to the mobage that coward Kidani won't release in English

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I liked it well enough. Great show, great songs. We'll get the little BD chibi shorts and the Live too, so it's not fully over if you like the character interactions and jokes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I was down on the season and still am even after that episode. Again they seemed to want to do too much with not enough time so all we get are these perfunctory glances at plotbeats. the series ended at a good enough place, but it doesn't feel fulfilling even if it hit on the things I like.

Maybe on a series rewatch things will feel better since I did enjoy the series more when binge watching it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't mind the ending, but I feel like as a big climactic final battle this one was oddly the weakest of the seasons. It felt really, really rushed and compressed to me compared to, well, any of the others. I think they really needed one more episode to work with, either by trimming some of the earlier stuff out or just having an additional episode.

That and they took the coward's way out in the post-credits scene with the fade to black. C'mon it's not subtext and hasn't been since all the way back S1, just have them say it on screen!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean this season was never gonna do everything they wanted, there were way too many dangling plot threads. I have a few gripes (noble red should have just been like, one villain, who was a herald of shem-ha instead of flunkies of fudou that became heralds of shem-ha) but. it was fine. They wrapped up everything they needed to, said what they needed to say.

I will say though that there really should have been a montage instead of just credits. Imagine that was the original intent but they ran out of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't mind the ending, but I feel like as a big climactic final battle this one was oddly the weakest of the seasons. It felt really, really rushed and compressed to me compared to, well, any of the others. I think they really needed one more episode to work with, either by trimming some of the earlier stuff out or just having an additional episode.

That and they took the coward's way out in the post-credits scene with the fade to black. C'mon it's not subtext and hasn't been since all the way back S1, just have them say it on screen!

It's probably more a question of what the producers will let them do than the writers themselves being cowards, considering there's been interviews where Hibiki and Miku's VAs literally refer to them as married while various production staff go 'yeah,' its clear the desire is there on the creative side.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

I mean this season was never gonna do everything they wanted, there were way too many dangling plot threads. I have a few gripes (noble red should have just been like, one villain, who was a herald of shem-ha instead of flunkies of fudou that became heralds of shem-ha) but. it was fine. They wrapped up everything they needed to, said what they needed to say.

I will say though that there really should have been a montage instead of just credits. Imagine that was the original intent but they ran out of time.

Fudo himself probably should have been a minion of Shem-ha, and Shem-ha should probably have been front and center from the beginning instead of effectively entering like halfway through while we farted around with Fudo's Incredibly Incompetent Japanese Defense Plot That Nearly Destroyed The Planet.

I could buy Fudo agreeing to work for Shem-ha in return for her "protecting" Japan with god powers, since that's the whole reason why he wanted to control her in the first place.

Endorph posted:

It's probably more a question of what the producers will let them do than the writers themselves being cowards, considering there's been interviews where Hibiki and Miku's VAs literally refer to them as married while various production staff go 'yeah,' its clear the desire is there on the creative side.

I know, it's just that "we built the entire conclusion to the battle on a lesbian love scenario" being allowed by production but two girls saying "I love you" onscreen being verboten is really frustrating. It's not the creative side's fault.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked the ending overall even though I'm irritated they killed Carol for no real reason. Her and Elfnein golluming was one of the best new things this season!

I hope there's a movie at some point, I only started watching Symphogear after AXZ was already done and I'm not ready for it to be over yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It was an okay finale, I guess

I liked Chris's mega curly hair a lot

e: also it's a shame Miku and Hibiki are not allowed to be upfront gay except when they're singing

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 28, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm mad Crunchyroll didn't translate the last few songs.

Season was ok. Like most seasons of this show it aimed higher than what it actually accomplished but the disappointing thing is I feel a lot of the things it did try had been done better in previous seasons. Miku vs Hibiki was done better in one episode of G than in 7 episodes here. Tsubasa's arc felt like a retread of her season 1 arc but not nearly as well done. And Noble Red are probably the least interesting of the sympathetic antagonists our heroes must struggle to not only defeat but come to an understanding with.

But also like most seasons it was still fun and high energy and bombastic. I will miss Symphogear.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I won't miss Symphogear because there'll definitely be a movie

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oof, that was pretty disappointing. Probably the worst season overall? Maybe only because I had higher expectations of a finale, but it felt worse than the others in every way other than animation. GX at least had kissing robots and the genocide song.

In retrospect Shem-ha is probably the weakest villain they've ever had. She's kind of just Fine 2.0, except only the least interesting parts so more like Fine 0.5.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The third season is still the weakest by far thanks to bad dad and too much Ver. Carol really couldn't save it from those flaws

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ver and bad dad were the only remotely interesting or charismatic parts of gx. gx's actual issue was a bunch of nothing fights that went actively made the plot take longer to resolve.

carol: muahaha. my plan is to have the symphogears get into a bunch of pointless fights.
*the symphogears get into pointless fights for seven episodes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bad Dad is terrible and this seasons attempts to redeem him fell completely flat for me