Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

IUG posted:

My wife is watching the Emmies (Emmy's?), and Homer was brought on as the original host of the show. He awkwardly, slowly walks across the stage, and starts giving a speech with literally no jokes in it, getting only two sentences in. Then a piano falls on him, the end. (Then someone else gets up from the audience and starts to take over.)

This is the first new Simpsons I've seen in like a decade, and man does his voice seem marbley.
https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1175924145973944321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

His voice sounds better than the rest of the cast still but god drat that clip sucks. Awkward as hell animation.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

What the gently caress is this even

This is like B-reel test footage

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Cosmik Slop posted:

What the gently caress is this even

This is like B-reel test footage

it's actually scathing commentary on the emmys and the current state of hollywood. :smug:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

IUG posted:

(Then someone else gets up from the audience and starts to take over.)
This was pretty funny because Anthony Anderson gave a full-on Krusty-style "What the hell was that?!"

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The Family Guy already did The Emmys ten years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

you broke my grill posted:

The Family Guy already did The Emmys ten years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk

The Simpsons did it 30 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXMYGyN7lwM

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks a million times better. The animation is charming.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks a million times better. The animation is charming.

All those celebrities look pissed that a cartoon is introducing their nomination lol

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

It was an odd choice to take inspiration from Colin's bear.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Simpsons did it 30 years ago

this is painfully unfunny too, but it DOES look a lot better

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I love how you don't even hear any laughter after the piano falls, followed by the super forced d'oh

e: ok the Family Guy one was awesome

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 23, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ulex minor posted:

It's very reflective of the show at the time. Bart is a rascal, Homer is abusive, and no one cares about Lisa. It's dated, but there's a ton going on.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ulex minor posted:

It's definitely unfunny, but I don't know if it's painful. Maybe it's just not as painful as the 2019 one.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

J Michael Mendel died, who produced many of the least lowest points of the simpsons died

Rip to a real one

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1176209664457007104

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's definitely unfunny, but I don't know if it's painful. Maybe it's just not as painful as the 2019 one.

The 1990 one was fine for what it was. I'd bet it was pretty awesome in a Roger Rabbit kind of way to audiences at the time.

The 2019 one seems half assed and like a complete waste of time.

channel z
Aug 10, 2019

by VideoGames
god the animation on modern simpsons is just loving terrible (or maybe just in the promotional stills only?)

it's so loving crisp and disgusting with weird shadows/shading going on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

iamsosmrt posted:

The 1990 one was fine for what it was. I'd bet it was pretty awesome in a Roger Rabbit kind of way to audiences at the time.

The 2019 one seems half assed and like a complete waste of time.

Even if you think the comedy is dated and the characterizations off, at least they attempted comedy and characterization. The show was very much still trying to find its legs in 1990 and the golden age had yet to really begin. And as I said before, there's just a million more things happening here than in the 2019 clip. Nothing about that is "The Simpsons". You could have replaced Homer with literally any character from any media franchise, regardless of how minor, and it would have fallen as flat.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I saw an episode last night from season... 30? (God help us). They were just doing huge swathes from To Kill a Mockingbird, at one point showing a clip (not animated) from the movie on the Simspons' TV.

A few of the jokes were good, at least chuckle-worthy. But the plot was just unbelievably scattered and pointless. It was like watching a show where the scenes had been written and assembled at random. It was that awful comedy sensation of watching something try way too hard and being totally lazy at the same time. (And Julie Kavner sounds like she's about to drop dead, holy poo poo).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iamsosmrt posted:

They'd been doing that kind of thing for a while.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2urey7

e: I cite this one only because I saw it live as a kid and couldn't believe how dumb and pointless that "slide" was. I'm pretty sure mixed animation/live-action on the Oscar stage dates back to like the 50s

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 25, 2019

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It must put a tremendous strain on the animator's wrist.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

(And Julie Kavner sounds like she's about to drop dead, holy poo poo).

This bit (0:30-1:45) from war of the simpsons is some great voice acting and it's sad that's just how Julie Kavner sounds now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vN1WlhI6g8

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is how Julie Kavner sounds now btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCO9ZZ5p20&t=17s

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
^ What was even the joke in that?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

i mean, it's been 30 years, i can't really blame her or any of the cast members for sounding different, but yikes :smith:

edit:

AstroWhale posted:

^ What was even the joke in that?

homer words bad :downs:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

cyclops Simpsons looking real good

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Animations like in a Newgrounds flash cartoon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AstroWhale posted:

Animations like in a Newgrounds flash cartoon.

Please people like egoraptor did powerfully exaggerated animation back in the day. Even clock crew shitposting wasn't so stiff and joyless

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Please people like egoraptor did powerfully exaggerated animation back in the day. Even clock crew shitposting wasn't so stiff and joyless

B

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It looks like bad fanart of itself:

Even Homer can't believe what he's seeing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every year at my birthday I am reminded that the Simpsons has been on the air for almost exactly as long as I have been walking this earth and it freaks me the gently caress out.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

explosivo posted:

Every year at my birthday I am reminded that the Simpsons has been on the air for almost exactly as long as I have been walking this earth and it freaks me the gently caress out.

When the show started I was Lisa's age, now I'm older than Homer.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

You should be more freaked out by the fact that it's still going to be going long after you're dead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

explosivo posted:

Don't be freaked out. The real show ended like 20 years ago at the very least. Everything since then is just radioactive fallout and the mass distributive mental processing of a former counterculture.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think i'm even going to bother watching this new season. I got a ton of patience for bad tv but it's just so god damned uninteresting in every way. It's not even good bad

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I watched the premier in part because of this thread and my own morbid curiosity. It was... not good. The episode was pretty cringey, with Homer and Bart trying to make viral videos beating each other up and a random hipster trying to exploit them. I'd say it would almost qualify as the low point of the show if there weren't already so many strong contenders. Probably not gonna bother again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I haven't checked into this thread in a long time; have people already posted those simpsons vids by Super Eyepatch Wolf?