Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Alan Smithee posted:

Everest Eliminators sounds like a deadly obstacle course on the top

a gauntlet of challenges made to streamline rich death
my new game concept: Death Zone Battle Royale

a game of screaming, hallucinations, ice axes, lethal pratfalls, sabotaging supplies, and a prominent but unexplained poop meter that keeps going up no matter what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

my plan is to read this in both senses always

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(the plaque reads)
Hier fiel
Für seine Heimat
Sepp Innerkofler

Here fell [I have no idea if this is "fell, died" or "fell, off a cliff" in the original German] for his home Sepp Innerkofler.

I am mildly surprised that the Italians haven't corrected the plaque to "in order to invade somebody else's country".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(the plaque reads)
Hier fiel
Für seine Heimat
Sepp Innerkofler

Here fell [I have no idea if this is "fell, died" or "fell, off a cliff" in the original German] for his home Sepp Innerkofler.

I am mildly surprised that the Italians haven't corrected the plaque to "in order to invade somebody else's country".

Yup, it's the former, as in "the fallen" of a country in a past conflict.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fish Noise posted:

my new game concept: Death Zone Battle Royale

a game of screaming, hallucinations, ice axes, lethal pratfalls, sabotaging supplies, and a prominent but unexplained poop meter that keeps going up no matter what you do

We’re practically there. Just needs the poop meter

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(the plaque reads)
Hier fiel
Für seine Heimat
Sepp Innerkofler

But was that Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the First World War? Keep in mind Italy actually invaded Austria during the First World War. In fact, much of what is now the “Italian Alps” was actually Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the end of World War One.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ZombieLenin posted:

But was that Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the First World War? Keep in mind Italy actually invaded Austria during the First World War. In fact, much of what is now the “Italian Alps” was actually Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the end of World War One.

Ohhhhh! Thanks for the new info.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Or was it merely real Rome taking back what was hers from the Holy Roman Empire

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, much of what is Northern Italy today was Austro-Hungarian territory. Italy, as a nation, only formed in the 1800s and the two major recurring themes was getting Austria out of "their" territory and the conflict for supremacy between the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. You also had the entire business with the Papal States. The Kingdom of Venetia didn't get taken from Austria until 1871.

"Invaded" and "taken back" are slightly fraught concepts when the national identifies at play are still forming.

This particular peak was indeed part of the gains from WW1 though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Go, tell the Goths, stranger passing by

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Munin posted:

Well, much of what is Northern Italy today was Austro-Hungarian territory. Italy, as a nation, only formed in the 1800s and the two major recurring themes was getting Austria out of "their" territory and the conflict for supremacy between the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. You also had the entire business with the Papal States. The Kingdom of Venetia didn't get taken from Austria until 1871.

"Invaded" and "taken back" are slightly fraught concepts when the national identifies at play are still forming.

This particular peak was indeed part of the gains from WW1 though.

Of course they are, and call on notions of nationalism that do no longer operate in the same ways as nationalism does today.

My response was not, under any circumstances an attempt to explain the nuisance of the relationship between the nationalistic components present in the Habsburg Empire and Italian Irredentism. Instead it was to say precisely that the language of invader and invaded in this case is quite complicated; as a result of this, the original commentary about the Italians changing the signs fails in the face of that complexity.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Of course they are, and call on notions of nationalism that do no longer operate in the same ways as nationalism does today.

My response was not, under any circumstances an attempt to explain the nuisance of the relationship between the nationalistic components present in the Habsburg Empire and Italian Irredentism. Instead it was to say precisely that the language of invader and invaded in this case is quite complicated; as a result of this, the original commentary about the Italians changing the signs fails in the face of that complexity.

yup, just wanted to expand on what you touched on.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Alan Smithee posted:

We’re practically there. Just needs the poop meter

Just throw a bitch off a mountain.

The poop meter needs to be a scheduled event like in Mario Party; after a certain number of turns the poopslide commences

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Alan Smithee posted:

Everest Eliminators sounds like a deadly obstacle course on the top

a gauntlet of challenges made to streamline rich death

Alastair Reynolds' Diamond Dogs but with Everest.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Climb it in winter with no oxygen? Temps have been as low a -26 this week? Why not?

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-01-15-climbers-attempt-rare-everest-winter-summit

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 16, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seems somehow more sane than attempting a K2 summit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sickos: Yes! hahahah yes!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is a pretty elaborate suicide pact.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

This will be his first-ever attempt to summit Everest, and he told Rock and Ice he hoped to make his final push by Feb. 29. He said chances of success are slim, but he will try again.

Sounds pretty pragmatic but I worry for them. That is a level of cold that I cannot completely comprehend, on top of the other dangers of Everest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds pretty pragmatic but I worry for them. That is a level of cold that I cannot completely comprehend, on top of the other dangers of Everest.

Death is very pragmatic yes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
german winter climber dude: "And here’s something I want to emphasize strongly: This is not an expedition where I want to push by all means to the summit. This is basically a training expedition, you know? I’m going there, I’m checking out the microclimate, the route, the conditions, and I’m building up experience that will be very valuable for a second try," Kobusch said. "Because for the first try, to be realistic, maybe there’s a 5 percent chance of being successful. Maybe even lower."

sounds like they know their rear end from a crevasse. godspeed, crazy dudes

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Eh, after about -20 it all feels the same.

Granted that same is loving Cold(tm) but its not like humans don't routinely live in those temperatures in other areas of the world.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Oracle posted:

Eh, after about -20 it all feels the same.

Granted that same is loving Cold(tm) but its not like humans don't routinely live in those temperatures in other areas of the world.

And routinely drop dead on accident while living in those conditions when they get trapped away from shelter for relatively short lengths of time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alan Smithee posted:

Death is very pragmatic yes

I meant to say the climbers sound pragmatic.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

This years climbing season is going to have quite a spicy twist to it.
such titles up for grabs like first super spreader to die at the summit.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mallory already has the title of First Perineum Sun Tanner on Mt Everest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fumble posted:

This years climbing season is going to have quite a spicy twist to it.
such titles up for grabs like first super spreader to die at the summit.

Green boots is hereby replaced by blue balls as deathzone landmark

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What's that mountain in the UK that people die on?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

LongDarkNight posted:

What's that mountain in the UK that people die on?

Conservatism?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Snowdon - the deadly tourist trap? Or the Gairngorms for somewhere that manages to occasionally kill the SQEP.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 1, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ben Nevis?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Brexit? Hehehehehe

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/mt-everest-winter-climbers-ascent-12480294

The rare turn back and sanity prevented that winter ascent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Noooo the mountain needs blood or it will uproot and March on the world until it gets it

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
lmao took a wrong turn and died on the wrong mountain

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 1, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Alan Smithee posted:

Noooo the mountain needs blood or it will uproot and March on the world until it gets it

chomolungma/rampage 2020

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

drat, the guy who was doing it solo with no oxygen made it past 7000 meters and turned back. That takes some serious discipline and smarts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What happened to the polish guy who got so drunk he thought he could wing it on a day trip

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He disappeared into the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

drat, the guy who was doing it solo with no oxygen made it past 7000 meters and turned back. That takes some serious discipline and smarts.

He also said from the start that he didn't expect to climb the mountain this winter - his whole plan was to scout the route and maybe he'd get lucky but probably plan to come back next year and go for it for real that time.