Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Hover Mode Tier 1 looking good! :toot:

https://streamable.com/s19if

e:
https://i.imgur.com/LAR7VuZ.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:eyepop:

What is the source of all the upvotes?

1. Backers annoyed with a broken techdemo
2. Goon FUDsters

:eng101:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that a Siberian Dwarf hamster? Those are loving adorable!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Bumble He posted:

dang i thought the amiga came later...
but i absolve myself of that

The A500 was sort off old even when released, the CPU released in 1979. The custom GFX chips did much of the work, and that was why WC ran poo poo. It was bad a PC port running in a mode the A500 didn't have natively, requiring real time translation to display.

Then Commodore happened. I think Robert Space was the CEO's nephew or something...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Okay so if I'm understanding this right it looks like Hover Mode V2 or whatever version this will be is literally right back to the noclip mode. Thanks for all your hard work, dev who made the flight physics! The door is right over there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

when this baby hits 88 adventures per hour you're going to see some serious poo poo

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quavers posted:

What in the gently caress is that even supposed to be used for?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/rvtDskQ.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

eonwe posted:

when this baby hits 88 adventures per hour you're going to see some serious poo poo

:lol:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sarsapariller posted:

I know everything about this game sucks poo poo but seriously what the gently caress is up with this interface, it gets worse with every iteration. I just... I have zero idea what it is you're supposed to be controlling for with these sliders.

As it was so eloquently put oh so many years ago: "Blend them noses."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

What's especially weird to me is that over the years, the types of nerds who were into Star Wars were able to get their heads around the fact that George Lucas was responsible for very little of what they loved about the franchise, and in fact is was the people around him, and the obstacles, that made it what it was. Somehow, they came to grips with that. In fact they came too much to grips with it, to the extent that they started to turn on the guy, not giving him the credit he did deserve, and blaming him for everything wrong (aka "you destroyed my childhood") etc. So of course as usual nerds go too far, but at least they came to the initial realization.

Here we have the exact opposite. A group of people who have no idea how mediocre the old WC games were (I probably think this because I wasn't a kid when I played them), how little Chris Roberts had to do with any of it, and how the stuff they loved most was imagined, created, designed, and coded by other people. Instead of realizing that, they put this inept fraud on a pedestal he absolutely does not belong on, assigned him attributes he does not possess, and unlike the above example, they will not see what's happening. That Chris is literally why this game is never coming out. Not goons, not Derek Smart, not haters. Chris.

So there's more to this than nostalgia, hero worship, disposable income, glory days revisiting, bitterness over EVE, and all that horseshit. Chris Roberts is an extremely unusual case because he's one of the most inept "developers" to ever sort of hold the dubious distinction. This isn't Peter Molyneux or George Broussard, John Romero or even loving Derek Smart. This is Chris Roberts, the absolute last man on earth you trust with even a single penny, and these supposed "captains of industry" threw in with this moron with no compunction.

If this game ever gets bought by a competent developer and released in any form, these motherfuckers will go down like dominoes within weeks, just like they did in EVE. This will happen because by trusting Chris Roberts, they've already proven to be irredeemable idiots and that credulity will follow them right into the 'verse.

This is the best description/explanation for the cultiest of SC fans I've seen.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If thats "hover mode" where's the downward thrust? Why doesn't the ships thrust interact with the terrain? Like in Elite, when you're close to the ground, you kick up quite a lot of space dust..

Also speaking of "fidelity" I spent 60 dollars for Remedy's Control. One hell of a next gen title. In terms of visual fidelity, gameplay and competent art direction, its a contender for my GOTY so far.

Now I'm wondering if CR has any intention to get raytracing in Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Now that's some serious shilling.

What exploration?

Beyond what he expected? Wow, he must have set a pretty low bar for his expectations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Look, you guys need a physics lesson!

:words:

IT ISN'T DONE OKAY QUIT BITCHING

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I'd like to live in a world where this kind of shilling could be considered false advertising and carry the same legal penalties. Every part of this post is a lie.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd like to live in a world where this kind of shilling could be considered false advertising and carry the same legal penalties. Every part of this post is a lie.

Well, you'd have to prove intent.

Let's imagine that it somehow went to court.

He could stand there and simply say, in his opinion, every word he said is true. Prosecution would have to show that he is either being paid to say those things or show that objectively what he is saying is false. Since it is opinion he is posting, that would be nigh on impossible.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Meanwhile, Infinity Battlescape is coming to Steam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpWUzJ3USA

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beexoffel posted:

Meanwhile, Infinity Battlescape is coming to Steam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpWUzJ3USA

Its looking quite cool.

Hey, look, they made their own engine!

I guess they thought about their gameplay requirements first before making ships.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 23, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

it's one thing for that OP to miss the point of 'noclip flying' complaints, but its 63% upvoted. :sigh:

ScoreLord
Nov 11, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJNOQMejK6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvh3FBhABx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25fvxy3U8TY

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Quavers posted:

I wonder if the way the ship rolls to the side on approach is related to the fact that everything is really tiny. If it's small and the engine dampening it's based off distance to the surface, it's easy to assume that it is gonna round up the distance from the planet wrong and trigger in wrong places. It seems to work as intended, just in the wrong place.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaphod42 posted:

It would also help if the physics lesson had any rational connection to actual physics, rather than be a jumble of misunderstood buzzwords, I guess…

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it's one thing for that OP to miss the point of 'noclip flying' complaints, but its 63% upvoted. :sigh:

Anything that excuses the poo poo state of the game is upvoted. Early days.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its kind of funny that a meme made by the faithful to show ITS ALPHA and they know it can so easily be used to illustrate how bad SC is.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, you'd have to prove intent.

Let's imagine that it somehow went to court.

He could stand there and simply say, in his opinion, every word he said is true. Prosecution would have to show that he is either being paid to say those things or show that objectively what he is saying is false. Since it is opinion he is posting, that would be nigh on impossible.

You could have a system where all marketing is subject to the same standards as corporate financial reports (with similar penalties for lying). There is no reason to treat one set of stakeholders (consumers, public) different from another set of stakeholders (shareholders).

Consider a company like Apple. I've heard a lot of people talk about how they believe that Apple is interested in digital privacy. But if you read their annual reports there is no mention of privacy as a key component of their business. On the contrary, all references to privacy are under the "Risks" section. Same with their privacy policy. And Tim Cook knows this. So you could argue that Cook is deliberately spreading false information about Apple products for personal gain.

It might be a bit more difficult to get influencers to stop engaging in fraud, but I am sure if there is a desire we can come up with something. E.g. mandatory requirement for revealing financial or other significant benefits around a given promotion.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

love too call down my titan and have it clip through the level geometry and explode.

lol seriously though how can anyone look at this and not just immediately start laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNDl2usOoQ
SC and its legendary sound design. This assault spaceship's gun turret sounds like what most games use for the silenced pistol. Godawful!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

You could have a system where all marketing is subject to the same standards as corporate financial reports (with similar penalties for lying). There is no reason to treat one set of stakeholders (consumers, public) different from another set of stakeholders (shareholders).

Consider a company like Apple. I've heard a lot of people talk about how they believe that Apple is interested in digital privacy. But if you read their annual reports there is no mention of privacy as a key component of their business. On the contrary, all references to privacy are under the "Risks" section. Same with their privacy policy. And Tim Cook knows this. So you could argue that Cook is deliberately spreading false information about Apple products for personal gain.

It might be a bit more difficult to get influencers to stop engaging in fraud, but I am sure if there is a desire we can come up with something. E.g. mandatory requirement for revealing financial or other significant benefits around a given promotion.

This is what I was getting at. I agree we don't do this, but is it necessarily good that we don't? People have been hiding lies behind the "opinion" moniker since forever. It's something everyone knows is happening, but most people just spot the fraud and move on because it's not worth the trouble. Star Citizen is probably one of the more egregious examples I've seen, where a company encourages a cult to defend them, without compensation, but with a wink and a nudge that they'll be Important People™ in the 'verse someday if they spread the faith.

So now we have hundreds of millions of dollars stolen from the disadvantaged, and there are people out there lying about the state of the game to get a few more bucks to trickle in from new marks, in the hopes of becoming fake important in the worst game ever not made.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

So, a bit like the FTC Endorsement Guides but with more teeth?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

It would also help if the physics lesson had any rational connection to actual physics, rather than be a jumble of misunderstood buzzwords, I guess…

No! You’ll enjoy physics without that math stuff getting in the way!

I don’t quite understand how retros help you land, though. Do you come in nose first and rotate the gear down to land?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I always have to think off mexican food when I see that crobbear gif

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think alot of the big money buys are the same 100 or so people. weird moneyed nerds who can blow a grand on a jpeg. like i am gonna end up getting the doom eternal collectors edition and the cyberpunk magic edition but thats because i love the series/companies and the quaility/"quality" physical merch. what makes my brain hurt is spending grands of money on virtual ships. because i have had the same expirence rp stuff on loving mods in garrys mod.
A little while ago they had a sales event exclusively for people who have spent over 1000 dollars. They pitched them a minelayer ship costing nearly 700 dollars. Based on the sales chart on CIG's website in combination with the fact it was exclusively offered to those people at first, someone pointed out that almost every single one of the attendees must have bought the ship.

That whale milk isn't going to run dry for some time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

No! You’ll enjoy physics without that math stuff getting in the way!

I don’t quite understand how retros help you land, though. Do you come in nose first and rotate the gear down to land?

The idea is that some vehicles need to be in special VTOL mode to co-ordinate all their thrusters to land carefully, but some ships have so much thrust they can ignore that and no matter what angle they're approaching, they have the ability to stop because a single side-thruster or nose-thruster or anything is enough.

All of this is hilariously pointless though, because ships in SC right now do not fly properly on planets. Unless every SC planet is supposed to be a barren rock with no atmo, the way ships move is just plain 100% wrong.

They're spaceships flying around on space with a minor control hack to help you not crash. There isn't actual air flying mechanics.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeletors_condom posted:

Basically it would shut down people offering their opinions on thing, even honest opinions, and any form of excitement/hype, even genuine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spatial posted:

A little while ago they had a sales event exclusively for people who have spent over 1000 dollars. They pitched them a minelayer ship costing nearly 700 dollars. Based on the sales chart on CIG's website in combination with the fact it was exclusively offered to those people at first, someone pointed out that almost every single one of the attendees must have bought the ship.

That whale milk isn't going to run dry for some time

If you get an invitation from Ferrari to buy their new super car you know drat well that you better buy the car or you'll never be invited again. That is what the backers would like to think is happening.