Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Fault is not a binary thing though, if someone submitted this video to prove their case I would absolutely put negligence on them as well. In some states if you contribute at all to the accident you can’t collect from the other party.
Good news! I showed that video to the police at the scene and they chuckled at it. Then proceeded to ticket the other driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nitrox posted:

Good news! I showed that video to the police at the scene and they chuckled at it. Then proceeded to ticket the other driver.

ACAB

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In other news police officers are assholes too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Congrats, you found an asshat cop. Shocking. Cop != judge/jury, as much as they think otherwise. Just admit you made a mistake. We've all been there. No need to turn in your license or other BS.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Call Allstate every day. The squeaky wheel really does get the grease with these big companies. On my claim, I had Geico when I got hit, they had State Farm. I called SF literally every day for a week and they eventually told me to stop calling, so I called my Geico guy, who called every day. Record turnaround for repair after that, and Geico told me they told HIM to stop calling, but he said "it's my job, you can't stop me" and they caved for everything we asked for.

I got hit by someone with Geico several years ago, while I had Nationwide. I didn't want to file with my insurance (though they were in the loop, since the guy claimed I ran a red light and hit him.... doing "60 mph". buddy, a 60 mph hit doesn't leave a scratch and a broken light :colbert:). I couldn't get the Geico claims adjuster to call me back to save my life, so I basically wardialed her for a solid hour in the afternoon.

She finally picked up and screamed WHAT?!?!?!?!? "Oh, good, I finally caught you. I NEED A loving RENTAL CAR AND I NEED MY CAR IN THE SHOP NOW, YOU ALREADY ACCEPTED RESPONSIBILITY". Had the rental that day. :haw:

Of course, I have Geico now... and they were great when I got hit (though they gave up collecting from the other party way too quick on a not at fault accident, IMO). But they suck to deal with if the person hitting you has them.

sharkytm posted:

Ummm... sure they were being an rear end in a top hat and cutting in, but you clearly had time to stop. That one's on you, ticket or not.

Not an emptyquote. You really should make sure your insurance doesn't see this video - they'll make their own decision as to who's at fault, regardless of the police report. And if I was an insurance adjuster, I'd be making it a 50/50 fault.

Takes No Damage posted:

I could have hit this dumbass and still been :airquote: right, but I chose not to. If it isn't clear, that's a left turn flashing yellow arrow (yield) turning green (ROW).

Is this TX? If so, people turning right have to stay in the far right lane when they complete the turn, while people turning left are free to choose whatever lane makes the most sense (assuming only 1 lane is turning). Throwing the latter in for the armchair lawyers.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sharkytm posted:

Congrats, you found an asshat cop. Shocking. Cop != judge/jury, as much as they think otherwise. Just admit you made a mistake. We've all been there. No need to turn in your license or other BS.

A 5mph collision is not going to a judge and jury lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
This armchair “everyone has to avoid a collision it is somewhat your fault” stuff is all bullshit.

This happened to me when i posted this dashcam video from 2 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_eUnM0OuM

I put it on SA and on the austin subreddit. Both threads were full of people telling me I would be partially at fault for going to fast next to stopped cars (which I disagreed with).

What actually happened is that the other driver got a ticket for an illegal left turn / causing a collision, and his insurance paid for 100% of the repairs ($27,000). My insurance premiums didn’t budge.

The rules of the road are actually pretty black and white.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This armchair “everyone has to avoid a collision it is somewhat your fault” stuff is all bullshit.

I put it on SA and on the austin subreddit. Both threads were full of people telling me I would be partially at fault for going to fast next to stopped cars (which I disagreed with).

What actually happened is that the other driver got a ticket for an illegal left turn / causing a collision, and his insurance paid for 100% of the repairs ($27,000). My insurance premiums didn’t budge.

Speed always looks faster on a dashcam and you had far less time to react. Even if you saw him in time the rational expectation would be he saw you too and was going to wait until you passed...but oh no, he went for it. I don't think that's really the same thing although I don't doubt people gave you poo poo for it.

The same thing happened to me years ago and the lady insisted because the other lane yielded she had the right of way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

An actual lawyer has replied to this thread :ssh:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Video where other driver is actually clearly at fault

I love his indignant manner about it. How DARE you not yield to him and let him cut blindly through stopped traffic?!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Your case is distinctly different than the other one. One person hit a stopped car.

Also, the only person who thought you might be at fault didn't notice you were in a turn lane, not a shoulder.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&pagenumber=105&perpage=40#post487689558

nm fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 15, 2019

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Having nearly had that exact collision on a bike a few months ago (doing 17mph in the bike lane, stopped traffic to my left, gap in the stopped traffic, some turd-eater in a 3-series comes barreling through without looking and nearly turns me to pulp), I will agree that the laws of the road put you in the right there, but the lesson I learned there is that the laws of the road and the laws as enumerated by Sir Isaac Newton do not always line up as well as one might hope, and when they conflict, the latter are the ones that get followed...

These days, even when I am "in the right" and have rightful access to go as fast as my lungs can put out in a lane, I pay a whole lot more attention to gaps in adjacent stopped lanes, and closure rates between lanes scare me a lot more -- both in a car and on my bike. So my behavior has definitely changed.

Glad his insurance paid up; sucks that it had to happen to you.

By the way, pedalbike nerds, are there any handlebar cams that don't suck poo poo? My housemate has burned through two of the CycliQ ones in a year or two...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have an IG cycle IQ that is maybe 3 years old now? Keeps on ticking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Insurance companies liability decisions aren't bound to what a police officer writes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

A 5mph collision is not going to a judge and jury lmao

Thanks for taking my comment out of context. Clearly it's not going to court, I was referring to the cop not being the final word on fault in an accident. Show that video to either party's insurer, and I'm sure they'd see things differently. Anyhow...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Takes No Damage posted:

Sup bros, just turning right on this red light. What's that? Yeeld? I don't know what that word means...

https://i.imgur.com/a6QDwEF.mp4

I could have hit this dumbass and still been :airquote: right, but I chose not to. If it isn't clear, that's a left turn flashing yellow arrow (yield) turning green (ROW).
Eh, I'd put you both pretty close to equal with that one.

In a some jurisdictions the law says that turning traffic from a single turn lane goes in to the nearest lane unless there are cat tracks or similar indicating otherwise. Even where that's not the law, it's just a good idea. There's no reason your protected left and their right-on-red couldn't happen at the same time, and they'd even have had a full lane of buffer space between, but you aimed for the middle lane and they incompetently took one and a half lanes for a simple right turn.

Had either of you stayed entirely in the nearest lane this would have been a non-issue.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Good thought on the inside-to-inside turn, but I'm still more annoyed at the SUV because generally right on red is "stop, and then if it is safe to do so, you may turn". Legal or not, the left-turning vehicle's lane change (?) was plain to the SUV before he started moving, so if he's so bad at driving that he can't turn without weaving all over the road, he has to stay put.

Where I am, theoretically that'd be three and a half for the SUV (right turn not in safety, fail to keep marked lane, fail to yield to through traffic, and you could make a case for red light fail to stop because the statute says to stay stopped until going is not stupid) and two for the poster (improper left turn and, had they crashed, fail to turn out to avoid collision). Practically speaking, takes no damage would take no ticket, and the cop would hang the whole thing on the guy who could've stayed stopped at the red or learned how to drive before going on the highway, but did neither.

source: was a bastard

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd already had my hairy eyeball on this guy in front of me... and at :18 he runs the red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkkerTkAGw&t=11s

I always give someone driving a beat-to-poo poo beater a wide berth; they've got nothing to lose.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

September Dash Cam Owners Australia compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfGnGI_Fuc

:nws: for tons of Aussie swearing and lack of round about skills

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I remember the video, not surprised at /r/Austin's response (and I remember recognizing the area when you posted it here). I would have run a little slower myself in that turn lane with traffic stopped just because of paranoia, but the law doesn't say anything about that, just "suggests". And the car you had at the time has far better stock brakes than most stock cars on the road anyway - you stopped pretty drat quick once he came into view.

People seem to forget just how wide the lens is on most dashcams, and that they tend to be mounted at the top of the windshield - they can see a shitload more than human eyes can

wolrah posted:

In a some jurisdictions the law says that turning traffic from a single turn lane goes in to the nearest lane unless there are cat tracks or similar indicating otherwise. Even where that's not the law, it's just a good idea. There's no reason your protected left and their right-on-red couldn't happen at the same time, and they'd even have had a full lane of buffer space between, but you aimed for the middle lane and they incompetently took one and a half lanes for a simple right turn.

Had either of you stayed entirely in the nearest lane this would have been a non-issue.

Texas allows the person turning left to take whatever lane they want (assuming it's one lane turning), and requires the person turning right to take the far outside lane (again, assuming one lane turning). Also, the OP had a turn arrow go green during approach (meaning the person turning right had a red for at least a few seconds), meaning the person turning right ran a red light. Not only did the person turning right not come to a stop before the turn, they took the middle lane afterwards. That's two strikes against them (running a red light and an improper turn).

I'm not sure what state this happened in, but the flashing yellow turn signal had me thinking Texas. I'm not sure what other states do that, though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

I'm not sure what state this happened in, but the flashing yellow turn signal had me thinking Texas. I'm not sure what other states do that, though.

Flashing yellow turns are starting to make their way into Florida as well. Nice QoL improvement.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I think the flashing yellow arrow is part of the latest federal standard, so it really depends on how fast your state is at adopting / implementing that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well I guess Georgia is a trendsetter because I can’t remember a time without flashing yellow left hand turn lights. Then again, we just discovered roundabouts and not texting while driving so maybe not so ahead of our time.

Kid got rear ended last night and because of conflicting stories the cop didn’t ticket the other driver (they said she made a right hand turn from a left turn lane which makes no sense). A dash cam sure would have been useful. :sigh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A couple of dumb things I saw this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clIr6nSnITA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOpO-AnPD7k

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

Public Toilets Rd at 3:15

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah I think the flashing yellow arrow is part of the latest federal standard, so it really depends on how fast your state is at adopting / implementing that.

People are going to treat it like a solid yellow, i.e. you’re currently allowed to make a protected turn, but you need to gun it before it turns red.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I'm always pretty amazed at some of the poo poo I see in these.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You Am I posted:

Very impressive load security on display at around 10 minutes

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Do Mazda drivers have a reputation as being particularly bad in Australia because they seem...well represented in these compilations. Also utes driving like dicks.

It's also good to see that lashing out like a psychopath over low speed incidents with no injuries isn't strictly an American thing.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
TBH I notice several of those Aus dashcam videos feature roundabouts with arrows showing turning against the traffic direction of the circle. Such as the aforementioned 3:15 and one at 8:38. It's a bit confusing to my non-Aussie eyes.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 23, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

Do Mazda drivers have a reputation as being particularly bad in Australia because they seem...well represented in these compilations.

They definitely were when I was in Belgium. Like the BMW driver of yore.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Prong Song posted:

TBH I notice several of those Aus dashcam videos feature roundabouts with arrows showing turning against the traffic direction of the circle. Such as the aforementioned 3:15 and one at 8:38. It's a bit confusing to my non-Aussie eyes.

It's the direction you intend to exit the roundabout. In the one at 3:15, the right lane can only exit the roundabout across or out the right, and the left lane can only exit out the left, and can't go across.

Signs like this help it make more sense (in this one both lanes can go across):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the atrocious lighting, but has anyone else had this issue before, with their Viofo A119 V2? :confused: I assume I'll need to log a warranty job (and I'm making another assumption by thinking their warranty is at least two years. Couldn't find any info online, on that topic) but I thought I'd check here, in case it's a known issue I can work around somehow, like via a factory reset.

I only noticed it tonight, but it definitely wasn't occurring last night. I can't confirm if it's actually recording or not yet, as I don't have an SD card reader right now. Although the time, etc. is all correct information. I powercycled it to see when this issue starts occurring, and found that it's immediately after the "VIOFO" logo appears and after making its start-up chime.
Pretty concerning though, considering I think I've only had this for around a year and a half from memory.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 26, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If it's in the recorded files, it's probably a dead sensor. If not, it might be the LCD. Either way, the camera is hosed. Warranty is 1 year normally, IIRC, so time for an upgrade.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's a dead image sensor. Exact same thing one of my (point and shoot) cameras did when the sensor crapped out (damnit, Sony).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, that's a shame. :( I was hoping I could get at least a couple of years out of it. I'm sure I remember reading in here that other Viofo dashcams lasted a good amount of time - is that the case, or am I mis-remembering? Since I do like the camera, so I'm tempted to just buy the same thing again. But if they die every 12-18 months, I'm probably going to have to consider other options...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry about the atrocious lighting, but has anyone else had this issue before, with their Viofo A119 V2? :confused: I assume I'll need to log a warranty job (and I'm making another assumption by thinking their warranty is at least two years. Couldn't find any info online, on that topic) but I thought I'd check here, in case it's a known issue I can work around somehow, like via a factory reset.

I only noticed it tonight, but it definitely wasn't occurring last night. I can't confirm if it's actually recording or not yet, as I don't have an SD card reader right now. Although the time, etc. is all correct information. I powercycled it to see when this issue starts occurring, and found that it's immediately after the "VIOFO" logo appears and after making its start-up chime.
Pretty concerning though, considering I think I've only had this for around a year and a half from memory.

i literally just had this happen, here's the instructions i received and it worked just fine:

This problem can be resolved by refreshing the camera firmware:
1. Make sure to use a high-quality class 10 memory card, download the guiformat2 from the link below to format the SD card as FAT32:
https://support.viofo.com/a/solutions/articles/19000046583
2. Copy the FWA119S.bin on the root of the card (use the card reader)
Do not change the file name, otherwise, the camera won't recognize it.
3. Insert the SD card into your camera
4. Use the original long charging cable and connect the camera with the computer or power bank which have 5V2A output for stable power input.
You will see the front red LED blinking.

Normally after refreshing the firmware, the .bin file will be deleted automatically. If not, the refresh process not start. Please follow the instruction to refresh the firmware again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

i literally just had this happen, here's the instructions i received and it worked just fine:

This problem can be resolved by refreshing the camera firmware:
1. Make sure to use a high-quality class 10 memory card, download the guiformat2 from the link below to format the SD card as FAT32:
https://support.viofo.com/a/solutions/articles/19000046583
2. Copy the FWA119S.bin on the root of the card (use the card reader)
Do not change the file name, otherwise, the camera won't recognize it.
3. Insert the SD card into your camera
4. Use the original long charging cable and connect the camera with the computer or power bank which have 5V2A output for stable power input.
You will see the front red LED blinking.

Normally after refreshing the firmware, the .bin file will be deleted automatically. If not, the refresh process not start. Please follow the instruction to refresh the firmware again.

Oh, good! I was hoping it would be an issue with the firmware, but I couldn't find anything when I looked online earlier. Thanks - I'll give it a go!

EDIT: Yep, works like a charm, now. Just needed to reset the date and time, and it's fine. Thanks!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 28, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/803_Gorani/status/1177801431379628032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's not good