Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stroth posted:

Carrot didn't kill him to hide the fact that he's the rightful king. Carrot killed him because his mind had already been destroyed by the Gonne and there was nothing that could be done except put him down.

Then he burned down the heraldry archive to hide that he's the rightful king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I don't have to care about any upcoming Pratchett movie or television series because I'll just read the novels again :mmmhmm:

(They're not going anywhere! :))

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Stroth posted:

It's also worth noting that the killer was batshit insane, possessed by a horrible eldritch thing, and ready to kill anyone in the room at any time for any reason.

Carrot didn't kill him to hide the fact that he's the rightful king. Carrot killed him because his mind had already been destroyed by the Gonne and there was nothing that could be done except put him down.

It is not and has never been a secret to anyone important that Carrot is the rightful King of Ankh-Morpork. Everyone just ignores all of the very obvious evidence because they all know it's better than kicking over the whole system just because of who one person happens to be descended from.

Terry Pratchett posted:

“...would it be true to say that Captain Carrot, while very happy to be a Watch officer, is the rightful king of Ankh-Morpork?”
“I have trouble with the term ‘rightful,’” said Vimes.
“So I understand. It may well be that this is one reason why he hasn’t yet chosen to declare himself,” said Mr. Shine.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Alhazred posted:

Then he burned down the heraldry archive to hide that he's the rightful king.

Vimes was the one who burned the archives.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
carrot also makes it clear that he doesn't like the idea of people doing what he says because he is the one who says it - he understands it's harmful even with good intentions. except for short periods in emergencies he rejects the power, that's why I never understood some people thinking there would inevitably be a conflict between carrot and vimes. vimes is his mentor and clearly an enormous influence - it always seems like he pretty successfully passed his republicanism on to carrot.

they don't need to literally reenact their ancestor's conflict - they were always sort of doing that? vimes does with cynical optimism and eye for human nature what stoneface did with an axe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Carrot doing just the right things that he survives and Gavin dies against Wolfgang in the Fifth Elephant is probably the most shadiest he's been; but I think that considering that the Discworld's whole thing with belief bending things to his benefit as the king-in-waiting, Carrot (and Pratchett because he was a smart writer) does actively limit his literal presence except in pivotal and important moments because he knows reality will shift to his favor.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

SaintFu posted:

“...would it be true to say that Captain Carrot, while very happy to be a Watch officer, is the rightful king of Ankh-Morpork?”
“I have trouble with the term ‘rightful,’” said Vimes.
“So I understand. It may well be that this is one reason why he hasn’t yet chosen to declare himself,” said Mr. Shine.

Man, Vimes is just such a better and more interesting character than carrot.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Carrot doing just the right things that he survives and Gavin dies against Wolfgang in the Fifth Elephant is probably the most shadiest he's been; but I think that considering that the Discworld's whole thing with belief bending things to his benefit as the king-in-waiting, Carrot (and Pratchett because he was a smart writer) does actively limit his literal presence except in pivotal and important moments because he knows reality will shift to his favor.

As Pratchett points out in other books, the definition of a rightful king is someone with an actual army behind him. So carrot declaring himself the rightful king would change his future lifespan to seconds.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cardiac posted:

As Pratchett points out in other books, the definition of a rightful king is someone with an actual army behind him. So carrot declaring himself the rightful king would change his future lifespan to seconds.

Yeah, but Carrot being Carrot, he could GET an army behind him more or less at will just by asking everyone to just line up here behind him, thank you very much, sorry for the inconvenience.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

e X posted:

Man, Vimes is just such a better and more interesting character than carrot.

I don't know that that's really true, it's just that Carrot is often used a bit like a plot point or a piece of mobile scenery. If we got to see things from his perspective the way we do with Vimes, I think he'd be a really compelling character. We've heard for twenty books how there's probably a lot of gears churning beneath the simple facade he puts on, and it would be interesting to hear his first-person thoughts during political crises, when he might be doubting himself for not declaring himself king and taking charge, or weighing how much he could get away with when dealing Vetinari due to his identity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I don't know that that's really true, it's just that Carrot is often used a bit like a plot point or a piece of mobile scenery.

He is a character in a book, yes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Phenotype posted:

I don't know that that's really true, it's just that Carrot is often used a bit like a plot point or a piece of mobile scenery. If we got to see things from his perspective the way we do with Vimes, I think he'd be a really compelling character. We've heard for twenty books how there's probably a lot of gears churning beneath the simple facade he puts on, and it would be interesting to hear his first-person thoughts during political crises, when he might be doubting himself for not declaring himself king and taking charge, or weighing how much he could get away with when dealing Vetinari due to his identity.

Well, it's obviously just my opinion, but I am admittedly kind a biased against Carot. A lost kind king who literally has the devine, or narrative, right to rule just doesn't sit well with my stoutly republican rear end.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The problem is that Carrot’s potential was never explored. He’s just relegated to being the fresh faced deputy. He’s there to solve Vimes’ problems, exposition dump about dwarves, be Angua’s blank faced paramore, and essentially be a wallflower in a cast of interesting characters. Nobby Nobbs has more going on than Carrot, as Nobbs falls in love, shows us a window into his upbringing in Night Watch (his father habitually broke his arms if I remember right) and shows some startling social acumen during his double act with his partner.

Carrot is simple, perpetually cheerful, has the capacity for leadership but hesitates to use it, has a very humble mindset (even after a promotion he still knocks on the servant door) and for approximately two books was willing to do shady things: 1) putting down Cruces whose mind was gone, but also shot Angua 2) letting his romantic rival die, again over Angua.

Those have the capacity for some interesting character exploration. But that isn’t touched on again. Carrot becomes Vimes plot device and we don’t see those shady qualities again. Carrot is just this supposedly incorruptable pure being that did maybe two bad things but we don’t talk about that because he’s getting Sam through traffic so Sam can read to his son before bedtime.

I can’t blame anyone for not liking Carrot, dude is a cardboard cutout. Rip lost potential.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

e X posted:

Well, it's obviously just my opinion, but I am admittedly kind a biased against Carot. A lost kind king who literally has the devine, or narrative, right to rule just doesn't sit well with my stoutly republican rear end.

Pratchett was no monarchist. The center tension of Carrot's 'kingship' is what happens when you have someone who is a genuinely good leader running into the human design flaw of bending at the knees. Vimes himself notes that he might be okay with Carrot as ruler...except for what would happen after him.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I wonder if Pratchett was heading towards the modern monarchy with King Carrot largely as a figurehead, with the actual ruling being done through a democratic process.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I wonder if Pratchett was heading towards the modern monarchy with King Carrot largely as a figurehead, with the actual ruling being done through a democratic process.

It kinda seems like Moist was going to modernize the political system. There was the books where he got two governmental services up to date and Pratchett talked about writing a book called Raising Taxes in an interview.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fighting Trousers posted:

Pratchett was no monarchist. The center tension of Carrot's 'kingship' is what happens when you have someone who is a genuinely good leader running into the human design flaw of bending at the knees. Vimes himself notes that he might be okay with Carrot as ruler...except for what would happen after him.

I never said he was, and I agree with what you write, I just don't think any of that is particular interesting. Maybe it is because we don't really get Carot's point of view on a lot of things, but his supernatural perfection just doesn't makes for interesting plot hooks for me.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 23, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I had heard that the planned book, "Scouting for Trolls" was going to be Carrot focused, with him founding/reviving the Ankh-Morpork version of the Boy Scouts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, the loss of what could’ve been. :smith:

One of the ideas I know that he was interested in was potentially introducing radio to the Disc.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It would have been nice had the Shepherd 's Crown been finished. The book came out, but it was very much in need of polishing and expansion, with a lot of stuff set up that was never delivered on.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Epicurius posted:

with a lot of stuff set up that was never delivered on.

That's how Alzheimer's disease goes. That is how life goes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

angerbeet posted:

That's how Alzheimer's disease goes. That is how life goes.

Trust me. I know.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Now I want a Night Watch book from Carrot's point of view, where he's as suspicious as Vimes and knows everyone in the city, and every time he interacts with anyone he goes through a cold and cynical flowchart of their likely reactions based on their personality, and it always turns out that the right answer is to be simple and polite and friendly.

e X posted:

I think the concept of divine monarchy is silly too, but that's why I like Carrot as a character (or at least as a plot device). In the books, he does essentially have a divine right to rule -- he's literally a magical king destined to reclaim his throne out of the storybooks, and magic and stories and destiny are really important things on the Discworld. And he just refuses to do it, because he knows it would upset a system that's actually working in favor of one that didn't.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 25, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, the loss of what could’ve been. :smith:

One of the ideas I know that he was interested in was potentially introducing radio to the Disc.

It was more of a footnote. He said that Discworld technology would never advance further than where it was in Raising Steam, but having said that they did have everything they needed to create crystal radios.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I think the concept of divine monarchy is silly too, but that's why I like Carrot as a character (or at least as a plot device). In the books, he does essentially have a divine right to rule -- he's literally a magical king destined to reclaim his throne out of the storybooks, and magic and stories and destiny are really important things on the Discworld. And he just refuses to do it, because he knows it would upset a system that's actually working in favor of one that didn't.

Knowing what we do about Discworlds gods, divine right is rather ambiguous to say the least.
I always preferred Interesting times approach to who gets to be king/emperor.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're confusing "the gods", and capital G god. The real God in Discworld is narrative causality, all other natural laws are subordinate to that.

Prophecies have weight, they have to be fulfilled. Carrot's "divine right" derives from that fact. The tightrope he's walking is to technically fulfil prophecy without actually becoming king.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2019

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

tooterfish posted:

You're confusing "the gods", and capital G god. The real God in Discworld is narrative causality, all other natural laws are subordinate to that.

Prophecies have weight, they have to be fulfilled. Carrot's "divine right" derives from that fact. The tightrope he's walking is to technically fulfil prophecy without actually becoming king.

So in other words, whatever Pratchett found ok for the sake of the story.
Which I am btw perfectly fine with.
The last hero has a nice twist on this in the end of the Cohen-Carrot showdown.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sure. I do wonder if occasionally it worked the other way around though.

i.e. rather than just being a tool to move a story where he wanted to, it acted as a constraint and actually informed its direction.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It begins. :stare:

(Actually that vaguely Victorian font gives me a little hope)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It begins. :stare:

(Actually that vaguely Victorian font gives me a little hope)

*burts into threat trailing TTFs* ACKCHUALLY

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

You can't really have carrot as a king because the city already has a magically perfect benevolent king who always does the right thing in the patrician. Maybe if the patrician wasn't literally perfect and able to solve almost everything then yeah, carrot could have a good story with his king ship

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From this BBC press release, comes this bit of artwork. Sure is, uh, hmm.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The_Doctor posted:

My brain is trying so hard to interpret this image. I am legitimately getting a headache looking at it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

you can't fool me, that's a ganbreeder screenshot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Terror Sweat posted:

You can't really have carrot as a king because the city already has a magically perfect benevolent king who always does the right thing in the patrician. Maybe if the patrician wasn't literally perfect and able to solve almost everything then yeah, carrot could have a good story with his king ship

In the older books the characters weren't so perfect all the time. It's something I noticed as the books progressed, it seemed all the characters as the books progressed got dialed up to 11 in their own quirky ways. I feel it's quite obvious with the patrician in the earlier books vs the later ones.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Thank God, I'm not the only one who thought it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

In the older books the characters weren't so perfect all the time. It's something I noticed as the books progressed, it seemed all the characters as the books progressed got dialed up to 11 in their own quirky ways. I feel it's quite obvious with the patrician in the earlier books vs the later ones.

Vimes transformation into supercop is one of the more boring parts of the series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wasn't it a different patrician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wasn't it a different patrician?

It was meant to be Vetinari, but even Terry admitted you could make a very strong case for it being Snapcass.