Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

ZA/UM studio posted:
"Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

Unprecedented freedom of choice​. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.
"

Previously known under the working title: No Truce With The Furies. Made by a multidisciplinary artistic indie studio based in Estonia, Disco Elysium is one of the most eagerly anticipated RPGs of the year. It is ambitious, complex and has over 1,000,000 (yes, a million) words of dialogue (so don't expect voice-overs or localization on this one EDIT: Partial VO for all characters confirmed), that has been praised as great writing by those who have had a glimpse of the game. The developers aim high with intentions to make the best RPG in the world and bring video game writing to a whole new level. They seem to have pulled it off.

In Disco Elysium, you start out as a loser detective who has woken up in a hangover after an epic drunken party in the city of Revachol. There are murder cases to solve, but you can decide to become a narcotics-addicted hobo instead. Or become a politically minded philosopher of sorts. Or a corrupt cop who takes bribes, or an authoritarian rear end in a top hat. Or, you get the point: There are a shitload of things you can do and be.

Your skills become a part of your personality and take part in inner dialogue and dialogue with other characters, like in the mind of an actual person. Your thoughts, organized in what is called a Thought Cabinet, have considerable effect on what your character will do or say next. The thoughts can become obsessions that define your playthrough: For example, if you ruminate on politics in the Thought Cabinet, your cop may become something of a communist or nationalist based on your skill/personality choices and thoughts. His dialogue options will reflect that. Those of you who have played Alpha Protocol will be pleased to hear that Disco Elysium takes branching narratives and dials that to 11.

The game world is not our world but a parallel universe of some kind, with a whole history written out. The alternate universe has technology we might recognize, like cars, swords, guns and radios, but with a bit of a twist. The game is based on a table-top RPG system called Metric, which is detailed below in the links to the devblog. Everything from dialogue checks to combat is basically done with 2-dice rolls, average challenge requires 10 or better to succeed, with your relevant skills added to the score. Failure is part of the fun because it leads to new branching narrative.

The art style is much like oil painting. Here, have some pictures:

Quote: "DISCO ELYSIUM IS A COLOSSAL GAME"

60+ hours of continuous playtime for a single playthrough if you're a completionist player, 30 hours if you're rushing it. Needs playing three times over to see most of the game. The world is about the size of Planescape: Torment, but 5 times denser in content than other RPGs. All characters have partial VO.
For details, see here:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1600390507851601404

Details about the interesting skill systems used in the game:

http://zaumstudio.com/2017/01/19/introducing-metric-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system/

https://zaumstudio.com/2018/05/29/meet-the-skills-motorics/
https://zaumstudio.com/2018/04/11/meet-the-skills-physique/
https://zaumstudio.com/2018/03/13/meet-the-skills-psyche/
https://zaumstudio.com/2017/02/13/meet-skills-intellect/

Reviews are rolling in and they are unanimous: Disco Elysium is a masterpiece of an Rpg, arguably better than the likes of Planescape: Torment and any other Rpg you can think of. Highly recommended, buy it!

Price:
Eurozone 39.99€,
US 39.99$,
UK 34.99£

Game launch date is October 15, 2019 on Steam and Gog.com.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/
https://www.gog.com/game/disco_elysium

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut will launch as a free update in March 2021, bringing a new area, full voice acting and other extras. PS4/5, Nintendo Switch versions will also be released with Xbox Series X/S versions in summer 2021.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I've had this game wishlisted for ages, didn't realise they'd announced a release date.

The art style is so pretty and all the writing in all the preview stuff I've seen has been great. Can't wait to argue with my inner psyche about the freudian implications of my tie choice or whatever weird poo poo is going on in this game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I feel like this game is either going to be a masterpiece that rewrites the rulebook for what isometric RPGs can do or an overambitious failure.

I have to say, I'm theoretically into everything they're doing, but I don't have the confidence the team is gonna be able to accomplish what they say they want to accomplish.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and this post will be mocked for its lack of faith in the future, though!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I feel like this game is either going to be a masterpiece that rewrites the rulebook for what isometric RPGs can do or an overambitious failure.

I have to say, I'm theoretically into everything they're doing, but I don't have the confidence the team is gonna be able to accomplish what they say they want to accomplish.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and this post will be mocked for its lack of faith in the future, though!

Well that future is only a few weeks away, so you're going to find out soon enough. I'm very hopeful. They've had to do a lot, but quite a few years to do it in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there truce with the furies now?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

no

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
this looks like exactly the type of weird poo poo I like, yes please

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Here's hoping this will be rad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there any character creation at all or do you play as handlebar mustache slob cop regardless?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there any character creation at all or do you play as handlebar mustache slob cop regardless?
It's the latter, I'm pretty sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game seems cool. I don't think I'll have the time to play it in between all the other releases this month, but thanks for bringing it to my attention! Wishlisted.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Accordion Man posted:

It's the latter, I'm pretty sure.

You can apparently shave later! But yes, you're always the same character. You can become less slovenly over time though.

Also, I agree that this game is either going to be the best thing since sliced bread and be an insane breakthrough for CRPGs or it's going to be a spectacular failure that barely works and has maybe 2.5 functional quests. There is no way, at this point, it's going to be simply okay.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can apparently shave later! But yes, you're always the same character. You can become less slovenly over time though.

Also, I agree that this game is either going to be the best thing since sliced bread and be an insane breakthrough for CRPGs or it's going to be a spectacular failure that barely works and has maybe 2.5 functional quests. There is no way, at this point, it's going to be simply okay.

^Agreed. They are not going for mediocrity for sure. It's nice to see such ambition, indie studios can take big gambles like that. Oh man, three weeks is a long time to wait for this thing.

If these developers manage to make this game work as intended, I will throw my money at them at the speed of light. Little Estonia will be hit by my euros travelling so fast there will be a crater.

If it turns out as a failure of some kind, oh well. It is good to dream.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a third option, that it ends up like VTM:B and Alpha Protocol where it's a fantastic game but it goes unappreciated for years aside from a loyal cult fanbase.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 23, 2019

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
There is also another anticipated isometric game in a lovecraftian setting coming out in a few days : Stygian, reign of the old ones

https://store.steampowered.com/app/779290

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Not to turn this thread into a discussion of all the great indie games coming out, but Noita is also just around the corner, Early Access release on September 24th. I will have room in my entertainment budget just for Disco Elysium. Sigh. :unsmith:

Somebody start a thread for Noita. I've been watching streamers explore the preview build and it looks so cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SlightlyMad posted:

Not to turn this thread into a discussion of all the great indie games coming out, but Noita is also just around the corner, Early Access release on September 24th. I will have room in my entertainment budget just for Disco Elysium. Sigh. :unsmith:

Somebody start a thread for Noita. I've been watching streamers explore the preview build and it looks so cool.

What's a Noita?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

How do you do the things you do?
Share with me your secrets deep inside

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If the writing in those skill system blog posts is indicative of what we can expect in the game this is gonna be a huge fuckin treat. Super hyped for it

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

What's a Noita?

Noita is a procedurally generated magic game where every pixel is simulated and destructable. Here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

Noita, btw, is made in part by our very own goon: Hempuli, who made Baba Is You. Along with Olli Harjola who made Swapper and Petri Purho of Crayon Physics fame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the first time i've heard of this game and it looks amazing????????? Very much digging the graphics.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

A successor to Liero, and also made by hempuli of Baba is You? Sign me the gently caress up chief

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SlightlyMad posted:

Noita is a procedurally generated magic game where every pixel is simulated and destructable. Here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

Noita, btw, is made in part by our very own goon: Hempuli, who made Baba Is You. Along with Olli Harjola who made Swapper and Petri Purho of Crayon Physics fame.

What's a Baba is You? Also I'll check this out when I'm off work, sounds interesting.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

What's a Baba is You? Also I'll check this out when I'm off work, sounds interesting.

Oh boy, if you've missed Baba Is You, you're in for a treat. Possibly the best puzzle game of all time:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I'm not much of a puzzle gamer and don't really keep up with anything in that genre. There's a bunch I've missed I''m sure.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Well, Baba Is You is simply a great game, whether you're into puzzle games generally or not. Definitely worth checking out. There is a thread for Baba Is You around here somewhere. Edit:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884585

Someone seriously ought to make one for Noita as well. Anyone? I don't want to post too much here about all the other indie gems out there.

This thread is for being hyped about Disco Elysium and the writing in it. And since the writers of the game and lead developer have been writing those skill blog posts, we can agree to be (cautiously) excited.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 23, 2019

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

SlightlyMad posted:

There are a shitload of things you can do and be.

Is anyone not going to max out "Inland Empire" to play as Eastern European Dale Cooper for their first run, though?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I was at work before so couldn't watch the trailer until now. I'd recommend pausing it to read all the dialogue they show because it's all very good.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Can't wait to dump every possible stat point into electro-chemistry and play as a coked out, drunken lunatic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As I said in on other threads gonna run a Colombo build because if this game ends up being as great as it looks that will be real fun. That build looks like it would be low Physique around the board, high Psyche aside from Authority (Which would probably be below average) and Inland Empire, low Motorics aside from Composure and Perception which would both be high, and average Intellect.

Going to look like a slob and bug the poo poo out of people with stories about my wife until they incriminate themselves.

Then I would probably just take the opposite path for a second playthrough and just go full Judge Dredd beating up everyone in sight screaming about how I am the Law and be a villain protagonist.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm probably gonna mostly panic and try to pull my character in a dozen different directions leading him to be vaguely incompetent at everything.

Dwaggy
Jan 6, 2005

hmmm... yes...
what a nice avatar op

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Dwaggy posted:

what a nice avatar op

Indeed it is. Lowtax spine donations got me a random avatar and it is appropriate for my name. :hfive:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We have a release date?! :neckbeard:

Been following this for what feels like years.

Accordion Man posted:

Going to look like a slob and bug the poo poo out of people with stories about my wife until they incriminate themselves.
:hmmyes:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 23, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Same, maybe I'll even try to replicate it in the game

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game looks to be a tightly design Alpha Protocol-esque game where the narrative can go a hundred different ways, along with the combat system as it was proposed for Torment: Numenera, in that each fight appears to be a handcrafted puzzle. Am I getting the right vibes?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

This game looks to be a tightly design Alpha Protocol-esque game where the narrative can go a hundred different ways, along with the combat system as it was proposed for Torment: Numenera, in that each fight appears to be a handcrafted puzzle. Am I getting the right vibes?

There are developer blogs that go into more detail about combat and narrative, but I want to avoid spoilers for myself and others. Three weeks and we will know. Three agonizing weeks.

Goddamn I am so ready. Lets hope the game is too.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

There's a third option, that it ends up like VTM:B and Alpha Protocol where it's a fantastic game but it goes unappreciated for years aside from a loyal cult fanbase.

I don't think this can happen anymore, with the proliferation of YouTubers, social media, reddit, Discord, forums etc - word of mouth flies MUCH faster and the communities who loved those kinds of games are rabid for more of the same. So my third state fear is more along the lines of there being an amazing beginning and then it runs out of steam over 60 hours, which is a *long* RPG for a small team. But as I said in a previous post, they have had a long time working on this game and everything we've seen so far is really impressive.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't think this can happen anymore, with the proliferation of YouTubers, social media, reddit, Discord, forums etc - word of mouth flies MUCH faster and the communities who loved those kinds of games are rabid for more of the same. So my third state fear is more along the lines of there being an amazing beginning and then it runs out of steam over 60 hours, which is a *long* RPG for a small team. But as I said in a previous post, they have had a long time working on this game and everything we've seen so far is really impressive.

As someone who loves Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol, it's not really a lack of attention that made those game underappreciated but rather the fact that they're both very flawed games. That's my concern with this game. Look very cool and interesting but I hope it doesn't fail at the basic element of being fun to play, which is something these kind of games often have a problem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this game looks perfect for playing a big bad violent cop

and a lot of other types of character concepts

this game has the potential to be the new Planescape Torment methinks