Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Blasphemous tips and hints:

* The pace of the game is slower than you might be used to from most off-brand metroidvanias, it's more like the actual classic Metroid and Castlevania games. Timing and deliberate movement are more important than spamming attacks.

* When you die, you will not lose Tears, the souls-equivalent currency of the game. Instead, your mana bar will become capped more and more with each death. You also receive a penalty to gained Tears. This can be undone by returning to each bloodstain or by visiting a special location. Be aware that bloodstain placement is a bit glitchy and some may be impossible to actually collect, due to things like being placed in an insta-death pit of spikes.

* New abilities for your sword become available based on how many sword shrines you have unlocked, not based on how many abilities you have unlocked.

* Pits and spikes are a full return-to-bonfire instant death, so aim your jumps well. Enemy attacks can't ever knock you off of ledges, though - there's an invisible wall specifically to prevent this.

* The game world is very open and you can go in a lot of directions that you are not currently equipped to handle, so if something seems unreasonably hard, you might want to come back later.

* From the beginning, you can press and hold the B button to :emo: yourself and regain mana at a moderate cost in health and a small cost in tears. It's not really all that useful, the spells in this game are sparse and mostly not very powerful.

* Countering happens automatically on a successful block, but you can upgrade the attack to a power attack by pressing the attack button as your counter hits the enemy, not (as the game's phrasing implies) the moment the enemy strikes you.

* Power counters have a high chance to stun the enemy, which can be recognized by the red outline that surrounds them. Stunned enemies can be executed, which gives you some additional mana and Tears on top of what a normal kill would give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Cardiovorax posted:

* Pits and spikes are a full return-to-bonfire instant death, so aim your jumps well. Enemy attacks can't ever knock you off of ledges, though - there's an invisible wall specifically to prevent this.

They can knock you off ledges if you are in the air when they hit you FYI.

Cardiovorax posted:

* From the beginning, you can press and hold the B button to :emo: yourself and regain mana at a moderate cost in health and a small cost in tears. It's not really all that useful, the spells in this game are sparse and mostly not very powerful.

You lose all your mana when you die, but you can use this technique to immediately recover it, and then visit the shrine again to get your health back, if you do find the spells useful.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

You sold the sword didnt you?

Basically the major tip for the game is: Dont sell anything unless it drops from a monster.

Nun items, I tend to hold onto weapons in case I want to change up how I attack but the nun items were obsolete when I found them. I recently grabbed the Castlevania Anniversary collection on ps4 so I've been working on Simon's Quest without a guide lately so I can get that original Simon's Quest experience.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain how I get Kojima in Phantom Pain in the definitive edition on PS4? I did the mission in Ground Zeroes but reading online seems to imply I have to import Ground Zeroes data into Phantom Pain but I'm not seeing an option for that in the definitive edition.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Don't you have to specifically upload the save data from the Ground Zeroes main menu first? Don't remember exactly though.

Edit: What too you so long?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Kept you waiting, huh?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Control seemed like they didn't really market it as much of a horror game, I just remember the E3 reveal making a point about the world/building the game takes place in shifting around combined with a lot of action and shooting and slow reveal shots of the levels with pretty standard foley slamming sounds that are used in every trailer these days, and I just watched it to check in the middle of typing this and it's basically that, but actually yeah it is darker than I remembered, and shows more scary shots of the Hiss climbing upside down on stuff. The game is very weird though, and I think it's story is satisfying in a fun way that's like if you just took weird Twin Peaks type writing and shoved it into X Files/SCP type settings and it's maybe not as good overall, but I think the moment to moment stuff is fantastically written and funny, and was a huge part of why I enjoyed exploring. The Dr. Darling videos and Threshold Kids videos are amazing, so yeah there's a lot of stuff you'll pick up, but I found myself stopping to read every last one, or after I picked up 5 or so, I'd check them out. The game did make me jump a few times, just because sometimes you'll be walking around a dark area, turn around and the way the enemy spawns work, it can be weirdly quiet and you'll see an enemy that wasn't there the moment before you turned around. The like, mold type creatures scared the poo poo out of me several times for this reason, but yeah the game is in no way a horror game.

And despite the action being somewhat generic like another poster said, it's really really fun, I think, like I don't play third person shooters or FPS games ever so I was a bit unsure if I'd really like the game and I really loved the action in this game, which isn't as much of a shooter as I thought, it's more of a telekinesis throwing game with a gun that you use while it cools down, or you use the pierce ability like a crazy charged laser on shielded enemies, but as far as gameplay, there's nothing aside from some basic obstacle course type levels with some platforming/using boost and other abilities to find hidden areas, but action is basically what the game is about 90% of the time. You're sort of encouraged to try playing it like a cover shooter when they give you the crouch tip at the beginning, and it's useful for the first boss when you need to avoid his telekinetic attack, but the rest of the game you'll do way better if you just keep going fast.

Perestroika posted:

Just completed it, so here are a few of things:

- Your melee attack can break open glass walls, sometimes allowing you to get into spaces you couldn't otherwise get into yet

- You'll get new traversal abilities as the game progresses. If you can't get through a certain area, you're probably missing the relevant ability.

- Your telekinetic throw is one of your most effective moves against most enemies, consider upgrading it early.

- Occasionally check back into the Janitor's Office, there are a few optional side missions there waiting for you. They're not too interesting, but are an easy and chill way to get ability points.

- There are some areas that the main story won't lead you through, particularly in Research. Feel free to explore.

- Don't bother spending resources on creating mods, you'll usually find plenty just laying about.

- Each resource for upgrading your gun and creating mods only drops from particular areas or enemies. Check them in your inventory, there'll be a three letter code telling you where to get it from (e.g. "MTN" means it drops in Maintenance)

- Experiment with all weapon types to see what suits you, but personally I've found Pierce one of the most valuable because it's the only good way to deal with certain enemy types.

I don't have much to add, besides my own sort of anecdote:

-Tomassi, the first boss, is pretty difficult, imo and gave me a lot of trouble until I played it on PS4 and not PC, but this is probably because I suck at third person shooters, but you can easily stay crouched behind the bit of cover right in front of you, wait till he throws his two things at you, then shoot him with your gun. It's misleading that you get the launch ability right before this boss, because a document you pick up right after it or maybe during that states that you can't really damage floating enemies with launch (you can, but it's hard, they'll dodge it most of the time, unless they're stunned/you launch something super close to them and their AI doesn't have time to dodge, so you need to do this immediately after you shoot them a ton or you throw it near them and it's an explosive item, but in this case it's better to just be safe and use the gun), so just unload your service weapon on them so also maybe equip a reload mod, since you're basically a glass cannon, for the entire game, and he will kill you in two or three hits so don't stay out in the open. But yeah, this boss stumped me, until I got it on console and then beat him first try but before that I put it down for a few days, and after beating him I played through the entire game over a few more days and loved it.

I think these are important points, mainly that:

- Telekinesis is OP, so invest in that, and health so you'll probably want to pick up the launch ability perks immediately, followed by health, then energy as the most important ones. Health pickup modifiers are only useful for bosses with regular enemies roaming around (edit: I mean they're always useful, but obviously you'll be wasting a slot if the boss doesn't drop health at all, but if it does and you keep dying, it can be super helpful, and sometimes, I found it to be the mod that helped me beat certain bosses or bits I was having trouble with, ,especially because you get like twice the amount of health from pickups with the better tier of mod types), but sometimes they'll drop health pickups, but only equip them when going into a boss after you know other enemies will be there, or if you know the boss drops health, which I know at least one optional boss does, the one in the Synchronicity Lab, which helped me win this fight after dying repeatedly with other mods.

-Shield is kind of useless imo, I used it occasionally when I knew I'd get hit, but you can use it and benefit from it's abilities as soon as you hit the button for it, essentially, even tho it would appear to take a second or so to actually take effect based on the visual effect. Maybe it's more useful to use it only like this, or how it was intended, but I really only found it useful in the split second before I knew I'd take damage, but by that point you can usually dodge or something, if you're out in the open and the boss feels like they're using an aim bot, which a few definitely do, it's helpful in addition to running out and getting health, especially with these bosses.

-Do not use the mod making tool, it's a waste of resources that could otherwise upgrade your tools.

-You'll want to constantly be switching between shooting, and launching, which becomes obvious, but it's not at the start and people in the PS4 thread were asking. But the cool downs on both will be timed so you can swap between the two.

-Pierce is really great, I'd say it's by far the most useful gun type, charge lets you shoot up to like 3 (or more, maybe, with mods) bomb things, but I mainly used it to shoot one quickly and then grab and launch it, but this is pretty specific to when you don't have anything around you that's explosive, but want to throw poo poo at things that will then suffer from the damage of the explosion. Other than that, use whatever you like, but I found spin to be the least efficient and used shatter the most.

-Starting a new game will erase your old save, same with the mission select, but it's fun to play through the game again because you'll be way better and will be able to get through the first half in way less time. The platinum trophy for it is also super easy, and I basically got all but two or three on my first game, and was missing the 'get every upgrade' trophy because I was missing two upgrades, but I did this on a new game file and got the trophy, so that's weird. But yeah, it's a really, really easy platinum trophy.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 20, 2019

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Zushio posted:

Don't you have to specifically upload the save data from the Ground Zeroes main menu first? Don't remember exactly though.

Edit: What too you so long?

edit: I'm playing the Definitive Edition of MGSV on PS4

Both pieces are in one wrapper now and I didn't see an option to upload'import data in either the Ground Zeroes menu nor the Phantom Pain menu. I also just got the ability to do base stuff and I'm not seeing Kojima in my personnel lists anywhere. I'm going to redo the relevant mission in GZ now that I've unlocked Mother Base in PP and see if that makes him show up in PP but past that I have no idea what to do. I want that sweet sweet early game research boost.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

juliuspringle posted:

edit: I'm playing the Definitive Edition of MGSV on PS4

Both pieces are in one wrapper now and I didn't see an option to upload'import data in either the Ground Zeroes menu nor the Phantom Pain menu. I also just got the ability to do base stuff and I'm not seeing Kojima in my personnel lists anywhere. I'm going to redo the relevant mission in GZ now that I've unlocked Mother Base in PP and see if that makes him show up in PP but past that I have no idea what to do. I want that sweet sweet early game research boost.

Have you gotten the other Ground Zeroes people yet? I seem to recall it taking a while for them to actually show up.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

A Real Happy Camper posted:

Have you gotten the other Ground Zeroes people yet? I seem to recall it taking a while for them to actually show up.

I did the Ground Zeroes mission itself (plus the one for Kojima) but I haven't done the other side stuff in GZ yet. I just prioritized Kojima so I can get that early research boost so I can beeline upgrades to whatever tells you someones stats and the fulton so I can get bigger stuff.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

juliuspringle posted:

I did the Ground Zeroes mission itself (plus the one for Kojima) but I haven't done the other side stuff in GZ yet. I just prioritized Kojima so I can get that early research boost so I can beeline upgrades to whatever tells you someones stats and the fulton so I can get bigger stuff.

He doesn't show up for a few missions iirc, you get a codec call that says some staff from before the incident have found you and want to join your base again

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Disregard this, i was on the wrong page (forgot that Divine Divinity and Divinity Original Sin were two different things, oops)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you bought it due to seeing a bunch people all over the place talk about a game called Judgment and how good it apparently is: they didn't mean that one.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If you bought it due to seeing a bunch people all over the place talk about a game called Judgment and how good it apparently is: they didn't mean that one.

I'm not sure what that other Judgement is. I just saw it was for sale on Steam and looked kind of interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, just asking, because I totally made that mistake and bought what was very definitely not the (apparently really good) recent Yakuza spinoff that it seems I actually wanted. :downs:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Anyone want to help me get to Co-OP Challenge in Far Cry 5 PS4? None of my friends own it and I want those 3 perk points.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

There's been a couple of patches since it came out, but my main recommendation is that melee is a terrible trap option. Not dying horribly and avoiding unnecessary injury is what you want to do, so give everybody ranged weapons, park most of them in cover and then try to bait the wandering monsters of the world to come to you.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

A Real Happy Camper posted:

He doesn't show up for a few missions iirc, you get a codec call that says some staff from before the incident have found you and want to join your base again

I figured that out the other day, I've been busy or I would have updated. Nice of them to auto handle the relevant info to unlock that kind of stuff from GZ.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anything for A Plague Tale: Innocence?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rats are pretty much an instant kill, so do not ever assume that just because it looks like you might be able to sprint through them, you actually can. If there is no direct route to somewhere, the game expects you to make one, always, so play close attention to your environment.

There will be upgrades, and two of the best are the pouch that lets you craft anywhere as well as the inventory size. Being able to collect more materials is in its own way as useful as having more room for ammunition.

Get good at that slinging thing, you will need to do it all the time.

Otherwise, it's mostly a fairly straightforward and linear game. Awesome atmosphere. Have fun!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Greedfall?

Any tips are good, but mainly what I want to know right now is:

-should I sell my old gear or try to recycle it for mats?

-Are there any attributes or talents I should prioritize? I suppose I should know about skills, too, but I think swords and rifles are cool so I'm focusing on those

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Link's Awakening (Switch version, if it matters)
  • The first caves have some light colored rock clusters. Graphically, I read these as being destructible for bombs or some such later on, but they're actually just regular overworld blocks that can sometimes be pushed.
  • Magic powder can be used to light torches though it's only really required at the start of the first dungeon.
  • There's an item trading sub-quest that spans most of the game starting with a yoshi doll from the claw game. You can get it as far as the banana step early on, but that won't be required until after the second dungeon. The monkey at the beach is a red herring, you'll run into where you need the banana while progressing to the next area.
  • A ways into the game there'll be an obstacle you'll be told you need Maron to help clear. Supposedly, the kid by the rooster statue should tell you to look for her at the beach, but he didn't in my game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I watched a streamer play Link's Awakening and here's one thing he missed for a long time (because the old man doesn't tell you about it either):
- In Mabe Village (where the game starts) there's a building in the North-East called the Dream Shrine. You won't be able to progress in there until you get the Pegasus Boots. Once you do it'll give you'll find a decent amount of rupees and the Ocarina.
- Once you've completed the fourth dungeon, Angler's Tunnel, swim to the west of its entrance and enter the cave. You be able to learn a song for the Ocarina there that you can use to teleport to warp spots you've discovered (in the original GB release there is just 1 warp spot). When used inside a dungeon, the song will warp to its entrance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

limp_cheese posted:

Cover is a thing in combat, but it is poorly implemented due to how the movement system works. Make sure that you are really hugging the cover to make sure it engages. It won't be that big of a deal at the start but it mid game it becomes a problem.

Judgement is a great colony game mixed with a pretty bad combat system, sadly. Hopefully they patched it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Here's some tips for Untitled Goose Game:

*Honk

*Honk!

*A lot of the bonus objectives involve using things from different areas

*The speed-run mode might seem like it means do all the areas in one go, but when you reset you start in the area you reset in, so they're all separate

*While doing a speed-run if you check the list for that section it'll show how much time you have left. You have 6 minutes to do each section.

*HONK!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Anything for A Plague Tale: Innocence?

- If you're playing on PC I'd recommend turning off Chromatic Aberration. It makes the picture all fuzzy.
- You eventually get a saving throw powder like the shank from TLOU. It's expensive to craft so you think you might just hold off on it, but it can help get you through some of the most difficult encounters and you'll get it back if you die right after.
- The alchemy carts are worth hunting down because crafting supplies are quite scarce along the beaten path.
- If you're ever in what looks like an impossible situation with the rats, there's probably something you need to set on fire or knock down to get them out of the way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do you guys do board games? I want a list for Hero Quest.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shibawanko posted:

Always pick Barbarian.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played years ago with some drunk friends smoking weed and it was one of the most fun times i've had with those guys. I was the barbarian and just whooping rear end left and right, having the dwarf check for treasure and getting some sweet gear. That game rules and we might play it again soon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shibawanko posted:

Assuming you mean the classic 1989 version...

Class/Spell/Equipment Selection
- Battle Axe is a trap, it prevents you from using a shield and from attacking diagonally (with a longsword) or at range (with a crossbow).
- Load up the Barbarian with defense ASAP. In crowded rooms, have him park on your side of the door holding it as a choke point, while everyone else pokes away with crossbows, daggers, longswords, and magic.
- The Elf should always have Earth Magic. By the back half of the game, there are traps that can't be detected or disarmed that drop a block that traps someone in a room. An Earth Magic Elf can enter every suspiciously safe-looking room first. Then, if a block comes down, they can Pass Through Stone to get back out to where the rest of the party is. While a Wizard could technically do the same thing, the Elf has more Body and can actually wear armor.
- The Wizard should, thus, bring Water, Fire, and Wind.
- Water: Healing is precious and necessary, and Sleep can sometimes open a boss or problem high-Body low-Mind monster for getting dogpiled into the floor. Veil of Mist is a trap.
- Fire: Fire is not actually a damage school, it is the "Courage plus two mostly-useless spells" school. This is not a knock against it, Courage is INCREDIBLE.
- Wind: Tempest is very good, and Genie occassionally lets you one-shot a problem monster (but usually just making an embarassing whiff).

Zargon
- Don't be a dick, and don't play to "win." The game is already unfair in your favor.

House Rules
- Please use house rules, the game is seriously showing its age. Playing totally Rules-As-Written is a miserable experience, and there are even times when RAW conflicts with Rules-As-Intended.
- Recommended house rules include:
- Use average-roll for movement instead of actually rolling. (7 movement for two dice, 4 movement for one die) Roll and move is a blight on humanity.
- Let players resell unwanted equipment for half its value. (Yes, this is actually a houserule.)
- Let players get back thrown Daggers at the end of the map, 25 gold for a one-time 1-die attack is stupid and awful and adds up fast.
- When a character dies, let them respawn at the entrance with starting equipment, leaving their old equipment lying in the room where they fell. Nobody wants to just sit there doing nothing for two hours while everyone else gets to play, but having to run to catch up in a big melee can still provide a reasonable penalty to make death meaningful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 23, 2019

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

After playing it for a bit I have a few more tips for Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation.

For base defense don't bother putting a ring around your whole base. Find a spot that will be fairly easy for your people to get to and build a square of spikes with a single opening. I usually like to put a couple more spike walls down to make a corridor. It gives great cover bonuses to the people inside while funneling all the melee enemies. Just leave room to expand as your number grow.

Its easy to run out of trees near your base without realizing it and wood is used in drat near everything. I've found planting 3 small forests around my base and rotating through them as needed will ensure you never run out.

Getting down the research trees is very important. At any given moment someone or someones needs to be researching.

Auto-Resolve is your friend when you're geared.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
After watching the LRR people stream all of Hero Quest, you should also look into one of the extended armories for your players or else the Wizard will get basically nothing new for the entire run of the game

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shibawanko posted:

Just play this and you will know how to master HeroQuest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Came to post this. Glad you were on the case Quarex

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Came to post this. Glad you were on the case Quarex
Breaughedsewed. Bro'd Sowed.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Anyone got anything for Red Dead Redemption 2 Online?

I watched my brother play the story, but haven't touched it myself. I wanna jump into the multiplayer and earn pretend dollars by hunting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dr. Quarex posted:

drat, I want to play the Gravityland scenario now.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I also want to plug the board game thread for a cool hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Will it cause me any issues if I ignore all of the sidequests and collectibles in Astral Chain and focus on the main story? I know that you can reply missions, so nothing is missable, but if I ignore all that stuff am I going to be having any problems later in the game?