Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Thom and the Heads posted:

Really digging this new Alex G album

I really dig it too, but so far the only track that really becomes an earworm is Hope. Alex G songs always take a good while before i realize how obsessed i am with them though (Bug, Bobby, and Memory to name a few)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
What's wrong with you people that there's not been a single mention of Holy Ghost's new album?? It's really really good.

edit: Also Hot Chip.

edit edit: and also new Alex Cameron.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
What would I like if I liked the sound in these three songs? Something psychedelic/laurel canyon?

Lana Del Rey – Venice Bitch
Sufjan Stevens – Impossible Soul
Father John Misty – True Affection

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

When I heard this one I had to check if Sufjan produced the album, but I also realized if that had been the case, the resulting Pitchfork orgasm would've already been heard 'round the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

What would I like if I liked the sound in these three songs? Something psychedelic/laurel canyon?

Father John Misty – True Affection

All these songs sound quite different to me, are you looking for airy dream pop or synth-heavy electropop? For the first I'd recommend The Magnetic Fields and for the second, The Magnetic Fields.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Pitchfork has a "best of the '10s" poll up

https://pitchfork.com/news/vote-for-the-best-of-the-2010s-in-the-pitchfork-readers-poll/

quote:

It's hard to believe, but the end of the decade is just three months away. Soon, Pitchfork will kick off its wrap-up of the 2010s, exploring the music that mattered the most over the past 10 years. We'll be posting lists of our top albums and tracks and taking a deeper dive into the artists, genres, and movements that shaped the decade. But first, we’d like to invite you to share your opinions with us.

What are your top albums of the '10s? Honestly 2010 feels like so loving long ago that it's gonna take a lot of research for me to be able to answer this question. The past few years I've been using spotify to deep dive into weird international poo poo and obscure acts from the 70s. I'm less concerned with staying current than I used to be, which makes this hard to answer.

Unfortunately (because it's a boring and obvious choice) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will probably grab the #1 spot since it came out in 2010.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

https://pitchfork.com/news/vote-for-the-best-of-the-2010s-in-the-pitchfork-readers-poll/

What are your top albums of the '10s? Honestly 2010 feels like so loving long ago that it's gonna take a lot of research for me to be able to answer this question. The past few years I've been using spotify to deep dive into weird international poo poo and obscure acts from the 70s. I'm less concerned with staying current than I used to be, which makes this hard to answer.

Unfortunately (because it's a boring and obvious choice) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will probably grab the #1 spot since it came out in 2010.

I have the skeleton of my list ready and a pretty solid top 5 or 10 but my number one unquestionably is The Monitor.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have the skeleton of my list ready and a pretty solid top 5 or 10 but my number one unquestionably is The Monitor.

hell yeah i was gonna say The Monitor is my number 1 - no idea what any of the others are

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

speaking of The Monitor - I'm gonna plug what is currently my AOTY

Prince Daddy and the Hyena - Cosmic Thrill Seekers

Pitchfork opened their review of this album with the following sentence which sold me immediately:

quote:

In the Prince Daddy & the Hyena universe, Titus Andronicus’ The Monitor is the greatest album ever made. Not the greatest punk album, or the best of the decade—the greatest ever, better than Pet Sounds, OK Computer, and Illmatic put together.

It's a concept album about the lead singer spiraling through a bad acid trip. It's a tight, 40-minute album that I've probably listened through 30+ times since it came out. Vocals may turn off some and a concept album about being a loser 20-something may not be for everyone but I loving love this record.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Polo-Rican posted:

I can't believe Southeastern by Jason Isbell did not already auto-populate! He's released two good albums since 2013 but every song on that record makes you wanna kill yourself, it's glorious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

10 years is way too long of a period and that's basically a useless question to ask. There's been such an astounding amount of music and tastes evolve/change, not to mention how vast and hyper-regionalized the "indie" genre is. I mean, entire bands spin up and fold in far less time than a decade.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My album of the year (and past couple of years) is definitely Suddenly Everyone Explodes by Plastic Mermaids

I don't know how I'd even start for the past 10 years.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Suburbs came out in 2010. Which is frightening to me from a getting older perspective, and also because it’s been nearly 10 years since Arcade Fire had a good album.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

10 years is way too long of a period and that's basically a useless question to ask. There's been such an astounding amount of music and tastes evolve/change, not to mention how vast and hyper-regionalized the "indie" genre is. I mean, entire bands spin up and fold in far less time than a decade.

I completely agree with this. You can try to fill out a list of influential albums to your preference, but ten years is a massive time frame for music. Yearly breakdowns are hard enough.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it's sort of weird to compare albums that I've lived with for almost a decade to albums that i started to listen to a couple months ago. I could probably make a list (and will probably submit something to Pitchfork just to rep artists I really like) but even the way I listen to music has changed, I listen to a lot more singles and do a lot more streaming than I did 10 years ago, when I acquired albums through torrents and got more on vinyl too. I went through my library just to make a rough list of albums that I might consider for a list like this, only listing albums that are the artist's best (because if it's not their best it's not gonna be in my top 10) and 2010 easily had the most albums that would be on there, and the nadir (2014) had just one album that I would consider.

edit: ok i got it down to about 30 and now it feels like killing my children to whittle it down any more

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 23, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
There was a tweet last year* with a similar question asking for your favorite album from each year of the aughts. I feel like I need some time for retrospect and to discover artists I don't even know about yet, but keeping it subjective, I found the exercise pretty satisfying and rewarding / I feel this limited selection of niche albums from my formative years reveals all there is to know about me as a person

2000: Broadcast, The Noise Made by People
2001: Ladytron, 604
2002: Interpol, Turn on the Bright Lights
2003: The Knife, Deep Cuts
2004: The Organ, Grab That Gun
2005: Ladytron, Witching Hour
2006: The Knife, Silent Shout
2007: Electrelane, No Shouts, No Calls
2008: Crystal Castles, Crystal Castles
2009: Fever Ray, Fever Ray

*https://twitter.com/Milksteakk/status/980100879281016833

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

I completely agree with this. You can try to fill out a list of influential albums to your preference, but ten years is a massive time frame for music. Yearly breakdowns are hard enough.

I've started to put together my annual best of playlist, my personal rules are:

25 songs
1 per artist
Must have been released in 2019 (single or album, either counts)

It's a really enjoyable things that I like doing and sharing every year, I think this is my 9th? year doing so. I'll post here when we hit December probably.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I still look forward to my yearly recap. It's nice to see what stuck with me and what preference may have changed over time. I use to write a big one with friends and we would share them at the end of the year, but just compiling a top 10 or 20 a year is fun and challenging.

I also follow something similar to my end of the year stuff as well, Clam. No repeating artists is important for my lists.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I think a more fun thing for Pitchfork to do would be to have people vote on their reviews of the last decade. You could have categories like most funny, most pretentious, most white-guy-reviewing-a-minority. The possibilities are endless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think a more fun thing for Pitchfork to do would be to have people vote on their reviews of the last decade. You could have categories like most funny, most pretentious, most white-guy-reviewing-a-minority. The possibilities are endless.

"Album reviews that haven't aged well" would be a very entertaining topic.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Like any decade, the first bit was a lot different than the rest of it. I expect Interpol's TOTBL in the top 50 10, Antics will also be probably in the top too. Illinois will probably be Sufjan's highest one. It's hard to tell where to balance everything from the remnants of the non-streaming era. The early 00s were indie rock and electroclash at its height and we're in a very different musical landscape now, not to mention one that Pitchfork covers a lot more than they used to. I'd expect something like Born to Die to be on the best of even thought Pitchfork panned it.

Im old

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 23, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

exquisite tea posted:

"Album reviews that haven't aged well" would be a very entertaining topic.

i will say that the worst offenders in this aspect of Pitchfork's history were in the previous decade, i even remember starting to read Pitchfork in about 2009 or so and hearing people talk about how downhill they'd gone and how lame it was that they focussed so much more on hip-hop and pop music than they used to (a change that completed when MBDTF got their best album award in 2010). I'm sure you could still find plenty to laugh at 10 years on but you're not going to get any of those spectacularly lovely ones like they had in their first decade or so of existence.

i'm sure you could definitely find plenty of pretentious reviews in there though, that's never gone away.

Solomon Gumball posted:

Like any decade, the first bit was a lot different than the rest of it. I expect Interpol's TOTBL in the top 50 10, Antics will also be probably in the top too. Illinois will probably be Sufjan's highest one. It's hard to tell where to balance everything from the remnants of the non-streaming era. The early 00s were indie rock and electroclash at its height and we're in a very different musical landscape now, not to mention one that Pitchfork covers a lot more than they used to. I'd expect something like Born to Die to be on the best of even thought Pitchfork panned it.

i like born to die, and you're right that it's probably going to be the LDR album that makes that list if any of them do, but someday my belief that Ultraviolence is her best by a long shot will be respected by the public at large.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
If you go on the Wayback Machine or actually remember the old Pitchfork, the reviews were tremendously biased because they didn't have much weight. I guess getting bought by Conde Nast or whatever and, in general, the genres of popularity have changed.

Yeah, Born to Die will make it because it started something in pop music. LDR has nearly done a 180 in public perception from her start, so I think there's going to be a lot of revisionism since BTD was so polarizing.

BTD is ultimately the odd album out, her discography is solid, even with this continual move to AOR, but that's popular now too. Everything from UV until now, I think critics agree are decent albums. My favorite is Honeymoon, that album really aged on me well.

Speaking of pop, I figure L something of Charli's will.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

outside of the reviews that are very positive or very negative, sometimes i wonder if pitchfork reviewers write the article and then try to come up with a score number that is the most incongruous to the text

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

outside of the reviews that are very positive or very negative, sometimes i wonder if pitchfork reviewers write the article and then try to come up with a score number that is the most incongruous to the text

iirc the writers of the reviews don't necessarily get to assign the scores.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Old Pitchfork gave Save Ferris a 9.5

http://web.archive.org/web/20070712033409/www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/21567-it-means-everything

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Solomon Gumball posted:

Like any decade, the first bit was a lot different than the rest of it. I expect Interpol's TOTBL in the top 50 10, Antics will also be probably in the top too. Illinois will probably be Sufjan's highest one.

those are all from the '00s, not the '10s! an entire new decade has ended since then!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it was a very strange experience when i recently read the now-20 year old review of The Fragile on pitchfork

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Polo-Rican posted:

those are all from the '00s, not the '10s! an entire new decade has ended since then!

Oh drat lol

Gorrilla vs Bear released theirs:

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/gorilla-vs-bears-albums-of-the-decade-2010-2019/

I think Floral Shoppe not being included is a crime, that's a 2011 album that defined the genre even if Ecco Jams might be better.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 23, 2019

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Jesus Christ, I did not participate in this decade at all, musically.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

"Albums of the decade" is about 1000x harder than "tracks of the decade." For example, Sharon Van Etten's "Give Out" is probably one of the best songs of the decade, but is Tramp one of the best albums of the decade?...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah it definitely adds more variables and nuance when you're looking at albums (or artists, or genres) versus just songs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

"Albums of the decade" is about 1000x harder than "tracks of the decade." For example, Sharon Van Etten's "Give Out" is probably one of the best songs of the decade, but is Tramp one of the best albums of the decade?...

It's the other way around imo. So many more tracks to sort through.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

The Modern Leper posted:

Jesus Christ, I did not participate in this decade at all, musically.

Wait until The Quietus releases their list.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solomon Gumball posted:

Wait until The Quietus releases their list.

I almost always find something on their AOTY list that bypassed me totally, often because of it being from the UK or some other place where only a small percentage of the country's output gets through to me, so I'm looking forward to it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Indie rock had a better decade during the 2000s. poo poo fell off hard this decade for sure

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Indie rock had a better decade during the 2000s. poo poo fell off hard this decade for sure

On one hand yes, definitely; but on the other hand a loooottttttt of the indie rock that was celebrated in the 00s was really terrible (remember the mountains of twee stuff?), and in the 10s we at least had the sense to ignore most of that

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 24, 2019

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Streaming really changed things, there's hope for rock but this past decade it just seemed rock bands thew in synthesizers in hopes to catch up to the landscape. Most indie rock bands still seem to be from the 00s touring mediocre albums that their fans like or playing festivals.

What is indie rock even anymore? I look at this: https://www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs and obviously not a rock or alternative for that matter; I look at that list can count maybe 4-5 rock bands only from the 10s and I wouldn't call some of them really "indie rock". Obviously Billboard isn't a great source.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 24, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's an odd set of opinions that I don't agree with. "Indie rock" varies greatly by location/region, and there is an incredibly vast and wide range of sound, style, and instruments. If you're looking for some new stuff, post some of the bands/songs/tracks that you like here and let us help recommend some new stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's funny that big guitar bands that are heavily indebted to rock of the 70s-90s are now largely classified as indie