Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’m keeping an eye on that market and will likely test them all before the year is up and switch over to one. Or maybe none! In fairness, beyond sport I don’t watch much live TV and rather than DVR things I tend to run Plex for shows just for convenience. The only problem I’m seeing is a lot of price increases and the same mindset that plagued and ruined cable, but we shall see.

I follow hockey, and so my main need is having my local Fox Sports channel so in the future I’ll either have to find a streaming service that has those channels, or get a NHL Game Center or similar subscription and use a DNS service to avoid the blackout. That combined with getting a fixed external antenna rather than my indoor one might get me by.

Streaming services weren’t really an option before due to Comcast’s stupid cap, now won’t be an issue (when my bloody tier is fixed). Until then the U200 package (again, once fixed!) will do me, and HBO as an added extra is always nice I guess.

Comcast’s X1 box was surprisingly good, I didn’t love the Uverse STB I saw a bunch of years ago but maybe it’s improved. As said, it’s not a massive deal tbh and my new package is about $50 cheaper than what I was paying Comcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Can anyone confirm or deny if the Pixel 3a XL on a corporate unlimited whatever plan for AT&T has WiFi calling?

Stupid loving naming convention make this so hard to google for, not to mention separate treatment depending on pre or post paid plans.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We managed to buy an AT&T Cingular Flip 2 phone today, which apparently exists just so people can replace their parents phones (which is what we were doing.) Also like that the Cingular branding still exists somewhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My month long pain with this drat company continues. The local store refuse to get involved in billing issues, and the girl I spoke to today said to my face before I even said what was up that unless I remembered the name of the person in the store who set me up a month ago there’s nothing they can do at all. Somehow these people make Comcast look decent when it comes to customer service.

So I’ll try and do long story short...

I go to the store to get a new install for internet and TV. I know exactly what packages I want and what it should cost. The guy seems decent, and tells me my cost and it sounds fine. Should’ve seen a red flag when I asked about the free HBO and Cinemax promo, and he said “Oh I didn’t ask about that because people forget to cancel it and then they get annoyed at the bill”. I tell him I set calendars for that and to include.

What I asked for: U200 and Fiber 1000 w/ HBO promo
What I got: U300 and Fiber 300, no HBO. I find this out in the email they send me later that day. It happens to cost pretty much what the online price I saw came to.

I return prior to install, and they said to wait until the setup is done then call the 1800 and change it, if there’s issues then come back.

So I call up, deal with them asking for a PIN I never setup and the wrong security question. I then go line by line what I wanted and what it should cost. Everything gets changed as expected, fine.

Except now I get a bill for $300, because the HBO and Cinemax are charged at full rate and none of the packaging promos are applied.

Today’s visit to the store was covered above.

So, is my best recourse to call and ask for Customer Loyalty? Will then they be able to set me up for what I want at the correct price and credit my account for the amount I’ve overpaid? The last phone call took an hour and was like drawing blood from a stone.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

So, is my best recourse to call and ask for Customer Loyalty? Will then they be able to set me up for what I want at the correct price and credit my account for the amount I’ve overpaid? The last phone call took an hour and was like drawing blood from a stone.
Yes

Customer loyalty/retention are the only people who can do anything unless you luck into an RSC who knows how to do their job. And luck was not in your favor it seems

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks. Fingers crossed I get someone good and that’ll be the end of it. Yeah, I’m not exactly the luckiest person in the world sadly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah RSCs really don’t give a poo poo because you’re not a commission any more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have to say, I got the best phone support guy ever when I called the other day. He was super knowledgeable about the history of various plans. Our plan has a 10 line limit and we had 10 devices and he suggested we could move some of the non phone ones off the plan with no bill impact and free up space, which no one else had ever mentioned.

Contrast to the previous call where I was cancelling am incorrectly added Apple Watch line and had to spend 15 minutes talking to Loyalty about whether we really wanted to cancel it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Curious about your scenario. Did you take off some iPads or watches you decided just don't need cellular data anymore?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Yeah RSCs really don’t give a poo poo because you’re not a commission any more.

Did they go full non commission, or did they just make the goals super impossible to hit? Last I heard it was the latter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahh I was just speaking to my experience with RSC pay out structures and not ATT specifically. I’ve seen it where it’s basically all poo poo except new line connects.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Dave posted:

Curious about your scenario. Did you take off some iPads or watches you decided just don't need cellular data anymore?

The idea is:
1) iPads on a separate 1GB plan cost the same per month ($10) as being added to a group data plan. So if you use less than 1 GB, you can move them off.
2) Similarly, Apple Watches can be on separate AT&T Unlimited Wearable plans which also cost $10 a month.

The end result is the same amount paid but less lines on your plan. Haven’t seen a bill that proves this is working yet but it seems about right.

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Does the apple watch (cellular) not need to be on the same plan as the iPhone it's paired with? They share the same phone number don't they

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kingcobweb posted:

Yes

Customer loyalty/retention are the only people who can do anything unless you luck into an RSC who knows how to do their job. And luck was not in your favor it seems

Yep Customer Loyalty appear to have fixed all my troubles. Got my bill confirmed in writing as being sorted, a credit for the amount of time it was messed up, a reset of my HBO/CineMax trial start dates and then passed along to Rewards who confirmed, unsurprisingly, that that had been hosed up too and they've now set it up. 90 minutes, but well spent. The opposite of Comcast it seems who'll mess you about on the phones but help you in the store.

I'm guessing the phone people have a timer that tells them to go back to the customer every x minutes, as I was on hold for several long periods of time and the handler came back just to confirm they were still working on it each time. Awkward but nice to know I guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm going to have to get ATT home internet and uverse TV. I know there’s a bundle savings for the two, but are there any additional savings if I also switch our cell phones to ATT?

Also, there’s a special going on now (for home services) that expires August 17. Anyone know if I would still get that special if I ordered it before that date but didn’t have it installed until after?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

ignoring that I'm an idiot for not waiting, my wife & I both got iPhone XRs on the BOGO deal prior to the price drop yesterday. We're well within the 14 day return period, is it going to be a huge hassle to try to get back that ~$150 a piece?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Finally getting hit with the rate increase on MSV in October :( https://www.att.com/msupdate20p is the URL. Heads up for others.

I'm torn because it's still a substantially better deal than the unlimited plans (45GB + rollover, no stream saver, no caps on tethering, 2 lines for $144) but T-mobile looks on paper to be an even better deal at $120 all-in with the Amplified deal through work. I'm just scared to switch when there's no way back without getting gouged if it sucks.

The proliferation of stream saver and the other data speed caps really blows.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone know if att has any hidden specials for walmart employees beyond the fan discount? I cant find any on our intranet.

Ex: Sprint has a $25 unlimited everything plan and tmo has a 28 and 34 unlimited everything plan.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

KS posted:

Finally getting hit with the rate increase on MSV in October :( https://www.att.com/msupdate20p is the URL. Heads up for others.

I'm torn because it's still a substantially better deal than the unlimited plans (45GB + rollover, no stream saver, no caps on tethering, 2 lines for $144) but T-mobile looks on paper to be an even better deal at $120 all-in with the Amplified deal through work. I'm just scared to switch when there's no way back without getting gouged if it sucks.

What’s your actual usage for the two lines?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

I would try T-Mobile, worst case scenario switch back and get cricket, which is prepaid ATT.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Dave posted:

What’s your actual usage for the two lines?

Usually <10 between them, peaks at 20ish of mostly tethering maybe two months a year when I'm traveling and I could moderate that. I was a MSV early adopter, so it was a 15GB plan that AT&T doubled to 30 and is now taking to 45.

Ugh, cricket has an 8mbit cap.

I'd be happier staying put if they'd let me add a cellular Apple Watch.

KS fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KS posted:

Finally getting hit with the rate increase on MSV in October :( https://www.att.com/msupdate20p is the URL.

quote:

Enjoy more data.

Alright sounds great!

quote:

Starting with your October 2019 bill, you’ll get an additional 15GB of data on your Mobile Share plan.

Amazing!

quote:

This bonus data

I love bonuses!

quote:

comes with a $10 price increase.

what

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What will Att do these days if you're moving to a house in a dead zone? Anything?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are you going to have internet service? Frankly I find WiFi calling to be more reliable and have better call audio quality.

If you can set up a WiFi mesh system on your property IMO you'll be happier vs an ATT Microcell. My mother in law has one and it kinda sucks. Short range too. I used to have one, and turned it in when WiFi calling came out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

angryrobots posted:

Are you going to have internet service? Frankly I find WiFi calling to be more reliable and have better call audio quality.

If you can set up a WiFi mesh system on your property IMO you'll be happier vs an ATT Microcell. My mother in law has one and it kinda sucks. Short range too. I used to have one, and turned it in when WiFi calling came out.

Also if you have AT&T internet service and want a mesh system, run screaming from the mesh system they sell, it is absolute trash and I want the hours I put in troubleshooting it back after investing in a non-trash mesh system.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I will have internet service. I've never tried WiFi calling. I don't buy ATT branded phones, so I don't know if that even works. It also won't fully help unless there's WiFi SMS, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SMS and MMS work on WiFi for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Three Olives posted:

Also if you have AT&T internet service and want a mesh system, run screaming from the mesh system they sell, it is absolute trash and I want the hours I put in troubleshooting it back after investing in a non-trash mesh system.
Mine works great. No fuss. Even blasts through concrete walls and low e impact glass.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Mine works great. No fuss. Even blasts through concrete walls and low e impact glass.

How many WiFi devices? Apparently it totally shits the bed above like 20 active connections.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I will have internet service. I've never tried WiFi calling. I don't buy ATT branded phones, so I don't know if that even works. It also won't fully help unless there's WiFi SMS, too.

WiFi calling works fine.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

How do I know if I'm using WiFi calling? Even where I'm living now had terrible reception and I have lots of calls to make to mortgage companies and inspectors related to the next place with terrible reception. if I can verify WiFi calling is working, I'd feel better about making calls here rather than going outside.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

WiFi calling works fine.

WiFi calling broke for me almost a year ago and hasn’t worked since. Apple blames ATT, ATT blames Apple.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

How do I know if I'm using WiFi calling? Even where I'm living now had terrible reception and I have lots of calls to make to mortgage companies and inspectors related to the next place with terrible reception. if I can verify WiFi calling is working, I'd feel better about making calls here rather than going outside.

It depends on what kind of phone you have, but if you haven't enabled it (process where you have to set an e911 address) you probably don't currently have it on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it possible to move an AT&T sim to an unlocked US Cellular phone? I have an extra line on my account that we were using as sort of a home phone. It’s a generic ZTE android phone and isn’t very good

I also have an unlocked USCellular Galaxy S5, which is a much better phone in general.

Can I use the att sim in the usc phone or will that not work?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If it fits it'll probably work. Why not just try it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I imagine I’d need APN settings or something? Also I guess I’m wondering if ATT and USC are fundamentally compatible networks? Like can a USC phone talk to ATT towers?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Look up what frequency bands the phone can use and what bands ATT uses.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

US Cellular is CDMA, so it depends on your phone. If it's US Cellular branded, it may not work on a GSM network. The radio is there, but carries will lock the phone down to the frequencies they want you to use.

I don't think there's any harm in trying it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I just pop the sim in should it work or do i need to change APN settings or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Following up from last week. Just pop the drat SIM in. You won't break anything. If it works then you're good, if not, then you might still have some tricks to try to get it to work.

Is there a way to update the provisioning on my AT&T account for a new phone to enable WiFi calling et-al without visiting a store? You used to be able to submit a form online but their new MyAT&T website sucks. Online chat went through the motions then told me I was in the wrong loving department. Like I chose it!