Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

5er posted:

The past three pages have made me wince repeatedly like being forced to watch a video of CIA extracting info from a prisoner by ramming bamboo shoots up the peehole.

It's the most accurate description of SAFe I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Working in IT 3.0: ramming bamboo shoots up the peehole

Fair.

I swear though, I think this agile/lean/sigma six mcchrystal bullshit is seeping into the bureaucracy of the university outside my department. The past couple years, I've seen a couple support-related departments stay understaffed for no good reason, and consistently telling other departments that they've got a backlog and will have to be patient with their requests because of this understaffing.
Every year our uni has new records for enrollment every semester, which means absolutely more tuition and tech fees being collected; yet more and more departments are having 'difficulty' staying fully staffed, and are always lacking budget for anything, even at fiscal year turnover. It's loving horseshit, and very few people are fooled, but many people just put their heads down and accept it as a thing they can't influence.
Hell, our AV engineering department, overall responsible for conference rooms, tvs, cameras, speakers, presentation related poo poo, spontaneously began insisting all requests for help through them have a 'fee' scalar, for any work they've done that is 'out of warranty', anything they've done over a year ago. As opposed to their support being in perpetuity, because t hey are a loving department that belongs to the college specifically tasked to support their own poo poo. My department's response is twofold: my colleague and I will be trained up on the Crestron controller bullshit strewn all about our department so we will support ourselves from now on, and that we will just get all our poo poo done by outside contracts.

I think we've got some bad, bad years ahead.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Me: Windows heavy Cloud Engineer @ Portland, OR
Recruiter: Linux (Devops) Engineer @ Eagan, MN
Me: WTF

Wash, rinse, repeat daily. At least I am getting bites?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kensei posted:

Me: Windows heavy Cloud Engineer @ Portland, OR
Recruiter: Linux (Devops) Engineer @ Eagan, MN
Me: WTF

Wash, rinse, repeat daily. At least I am getting bites?

Maybe you should try that Linux thingie. It doesn't bite.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I keep getting pings for security roles in downtown Chicago.

No recruiters, I don't live in Illinois anymore, I left for a reason, and I'll never ever put up with the commute into the loop. Stop it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I keep getting pings for security roles in downtown Chicago.

No recruiters, I don't live in Illinois anymore, I left for a reason, and I'll never ever put up with the commute into the loop. Stop it.

Tell the recruiters you'll take work in downtown Chicago if you can work 100% remote from where you are now with Chicago pay.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

5er posted:

Fair.

I swear though, I think this agile/lean/sigma six mcchrystal bullshit is seeping into the bureaucracy of the university outside my department. The past couple years, I've seen a couple support-related departments stay understaffed for no good reason, and consistently telling other departments that they've got a backlog and will have to be patient with their requests because of this understaffing.
Every year our uni has new records for enrollment every semester, which means absolutely more tuition and tech fees being collected; yet more and more departments are having 'difficulty' staying fully staffed, and are always lacking budget for anything, even at fiscal year turnover. It's loving horseshit, and very few people are fooled, but many people just put their heads down and accept it as a thing they can't influence.
Hell, our AV engineering department, overall responsible for conference rooms, tvs, cameras, speakers, presentation related poo poo, spontaneously began insisting all requests for help through them have a 'fee' scalar, for any work they've done that is 'out of warranty', anything they've done over a year ago. As opposed to their support being in perpetuity, because t hey are a loving department that belongs to the college specifically tasked to support their own poo poo. My department's response is twofold: my colleague and I will be trained up on the Crestron controller bullshit strewn all about our department so we will support ourselves from now on, and that we will just get all our poo poo done by outside contracts.

An understaffed university support department, you say? Better hire a few EVPs to figure that one out. And by figure out, I mean deliver a report in 18 months saying it's hard to recruit/maintain staffing for positions when they're temp-to-hire and pay 70% of private sector. Also, those departments are covered by a CBA so lets raid their budgets.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont think anyone works on fridays in my office. We have a standup and say were doing stuff, but then we dont.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sepist posted:

I dont think anyone works on fridays in my office. We have a standup and say were doing stuff, but then we dont.

:same:

I basically answered one question and spent 2 hours getting lunch, mostly in line.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I stole some pizza from a meeting and am dicking around with azure sentinel.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Busting my rear end to get a few projects handed off to other engineers and tidy up some stuff before I gently caress off for 16 days.

Definitely not going to get everything done that I want to but there will only be a little left for me when I get back so that's nice.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Volguus posted:

Maybe you should try that Linux thingie. It doesn't bite.

I've done Linux, it was more the location that made me say WTF

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kensei posted:

I've done Linux, it was more the location that made me say WTF

Maybe you haven't tried hard enough.

(ok, ok, just kidding. But without any other information, what exactly made you go wtf ... it's hard to say anything else. RTFM is another appropriate answer most of the time. But given that you find jobs in one sector and not in another ... maybe you should really consider giving linux a chance. You haven't done so yet)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Volguus posted:

Maybe you haven't tried hard enough.

(ok, ok, just kidding. But without any other information, what exactly made you go wtf ... it's hard to say anything else. RTFM is another appropriate answer most of the time. But given that you find jobs in one sector and not in another ... maybe you should really consider giving linux a chance. You haven't done so yet)

Did you not see the locations

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Performed final testing and deployment of our new prod W10 GPOs
For our first set of deployed W10 computers
For doctors
Late on a Friday evening
Right before I leave for Japan for two weeks

Gave my boss an extensive rundown of how everything I configured works start to finish, performed the final tests with my boss in the room, let the team know about potential issues to watch out for and how to resolve them, my boss knows how to undo the applied changes, and I'm still expecting something to go horribly wrong for the sin of baiting the universe like this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol rip

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Late on a Friday evening

why

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

Fridays are the only day I can work completely uninterrupted on the stuff I’m supposed to. I probably get half of all my work done in that day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had a two hour lunch today and watched YouTube. Fridays rule.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I have no permissions yet so I spent the entire week on an AWS terminal making increasingly convoluted bash scripts.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

klosterdev posted:

For our first set of deployed W10 computers
For doctors

You're hosed. Hope your phone's on an international plan.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

I have no permissions yet so I spent the entire week on an AWS terminal making increasingly convoluted bash scripts.

Arrange_by_penis.bat?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
^also remember to sort by length not size.

I'm thinking about becoming a data analyst. What seems to be the major skill needed is SQL which is something I've enjoyed learning the basics of and I could definitely become skilled at. I think data analyst would be a better fit than programmer because it's not just pure coding that's needed.

Would two years of IT experience be enough to at least get my foot in the door for an interview? I figure if I could show my ability in SQL, Python or excel that should be enough. I am doing some research it looks like it's not so much certs as having the necessary skills? Another aspect I'll need to do some projects to show work I've done ideally.

Otherwise it seems overkill to need a master's degree. Any advice here?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

5er posted:

Fair.

What up fellow Academic IT Professional.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

5er posted:

Fair.

Not really agile/lean related, more general Academic IT bs related but recently all IT job descriptions at our institution were re-evaluated except for our department. So I had the pleasure of seeing an entry level, 2 year experience help desk position advertised in another dept with a $10k higher starting salary than my current salary as a 10+ year experience programmer-analyst. When my colleague, who manages a dozen VMs delivering content to a couple of hundred courses, complained about this obvious disparity our manager informed him that actually the guy who copy edits text in a handful of courses is just as valuable as my colleague so my colleague has no right to demand a higher wage.

I think my dept might experience some critical under-staffing issues in the near future.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you are that underpaid, they should have had one five years ago.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Random Integer posted:

So I had the pleasure of seeing an entry level, 2 year experience help desk position advertised in another dept with a $10k higher starting salary than my current salary as a 10+ year experience programmer-analyst. When my colleague, who manages a dozen VMs delivering content to a couple of hundred courses, complained about this obvious disparity our manager informed him that actually the guy who copy edits text in a handful of courses is just as valuable as my colleague so my colleague has no right to demand a higher wage.

Just lol if your coworker didn’t drop all work at that point and told his manager “this way above my paygrade”.

Also shame on him for being such a little bitch that he’s wilfully underpaid like that. Because face it, if you’re 10+ years into IT and an entry level copy editor manages to get a 10k higher base salary it’s nobodies fault but your own.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LochNessMonster posted:

Just lol if your coworker didn’t drop all work at that point and told his manager “this way above my paygrade”.

Also shame on him for being such a little bitch that he’s wilfully underpaid like that. Because face it, if you’re 10+ years into IT and an entry level copy editor manages to get a 10k higher base salary it’s nobodies fault but your own.

Shocking level of arrogance here.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you're in an institution that allows you to file a grievance, you can issue one if you feel that your job and compensation do not match what you do. You can specifically highlight movement in other departments to back this up.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Woof Blitzer posted:

Shocking level of arrogance here.

He’s right. Knowing your market value is hardly arrogant.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bigass Moth posted:

He’s right. Knowing your market value is hardly arrogant.

That is not what the post said.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hmm, yes, calling somebody a little bitch is definitely the level of discourse this thread should have...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Vargatron posted:

What up fellow Academic IT Professional.

Hi five! I hope your situations like mine, where you work for a department of incredible people and a dept chair that says 'ok sounds good' to any reasonable request you make, and that all the darkness of corporate late-stage capitalism stays securely with university-level jerks.

I have been tasked with purchasing a workbench for myself, for the usual mundane fixing/fuckin with computers and such. I've really never gone shopping for actual work-related furniture; any suggestions? I'm capable of going through Amazon, B&H and Staples to buy one.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I basically get left alone at this point. The director that we report to has no IT background and is quite difficult to work with, but I just stopped interacting with her unless called upon and let my boss handle all interactions. The people I work with are great for the most part. I'm sure you know how professors can be a challenge though :unsmith:.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's all you got?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Mods. MODS!!!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Christ, the workflow roundabout. Legendary.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Mods. MODS!!!

Personally, I'm fascinated by the idea of a system called, unironically, "LeSS SAFe DAD."

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Fun fact: if you goof off at work an extra two hours a day, you're making 25% more per hour of actual work.

Be your own boss and give yourself a raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Our data flow/network diagram is much worse than this, if you can imagine that.