Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My network is inspired by the London Underground, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

I want that in poster board for our IT room so it looks like we know what the hell we're doing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I want that in poster board for our IT room so it looks like we know what the hell we're doing.

I assure you, that's not what it looks like.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

I assure you, that's not what it looks like.

Unnecessarily complicated is the hallmark of IT.

Also I can point to a random spot on the diagram and pass the buck on why the project failed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Heffer posted:

Fun fact: if you goof off at work an extra two hours a day, you're making 25% more per hour of actual work.

Be your own boss and give yourself a raise.

:hmmyes:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Unnecessarily complicated is the hallmark of IT.

Also I can point to a random spot on the diagram and pass the buck on why the project failed.

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed. :engleft:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really wish there were a clearinghouse for big IT posters.

Like, for workroom walls or something.

Fluke has some really nice ones.

:shrug:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:perfect:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Imagine actually putting your name on that garbage fire.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

HAHA!

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

The Fool posted:

It's the most accurate description of SAFe I can think of.

I just had two day SAFe-planning hurghghhghghg

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KillHour posted:

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed. :engleft:

But it can fall, like water.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

I NEED AN ADULT!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Lmao this is just a Tokyo rail map

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Brought to you by graphics cards manufacturers in the early 2000s

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Just lol if your coworker didn’t drop all work at that point and told his manager “this way above my paygrade”.

Also shame on him for being such a little bitch that he’s wilfully underpaid like that. Because face it, if you’re 10+ years into IT and an entry level copy editor manages to get a 10k higher base salary it’s nobodies fault but your own.

Please don't call people a "little bitch". This how the capitalists win.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't call people a "little bitch". This how the capitalists win.

Might be worded a bit too strong for peoples liking, but if someone comes in making 10k per year more than someone who has 4x the experience in a role several levels higher, you seriously have to wonder how that person let that happen to him/herself. Especially if you let your manager get away with “how dare you say that, everyone is equally productive in our team”.

:wtc:

Edit: what I mean is that the person is seriously underpaid and could probably get a incredible raise just by switching to another company. The fact that this person brought it up to the manager means they care about the difference in experience/salary. This most likely means they have been underpaid for years. That’s not arrogance, I genuinely do not understand why someone would let that happen, but maybe I’ve been reading the negotiation thread too much...

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 24, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

5er posted:

...my colleague and I will be trained up on the Crestron controller bullshit strewn all about our department...

Ohhhhh dear. I assure you, friend, this is not the path to victory. Crestron is the 42nd Circle of Hell.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Ohhhhh dear. I assure you, friend, this is not the path to victory. Crestron is the 42nd Circle of Hell.

:yeah:

My department has been yelled at over those little bastards a lot considering, 1) IT didn't pick crestrons 2) IT didn't install them and 3) We didn't pick the contractors who did.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone in presales engineering? Especially client facing? Can you describe what you actually do on a daily basis?

I'm an SE. You still looking for info?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Might be worded a bit too strong for peoples liking, but if someone comes in making 10k per year more than someone who has 4x the experience in a role several levels higher, you seriously have to wonder how that person let that happen to him/herself. Especially if you let your manager get away with “how dare you say that, everyone is equally productive in our team”.

:wtc:

Edit: what I mean is that the person is seriously underpaid and could probably get a incredible raise just by switching to another company. The fact that this person brought it up to the manager means they care about the difference in experience/salary. This most likely means they have been underpaid for years. That’s not arrogance, I genuinely do not understand why someone would let that happen, but maybe I’ve been reading the negotiation thread too much...

It's nothing to do with "too strong for peoples liking". Don't call people a "little bitch". Change your language and how you speak about others.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Just lol if your coworker didn’t drop all work at that point and told his manager “this way above my paygrade”.

Also shame on him for being such a little bitch that he’s wilfully underpaid like that. Because face it, if you’re 10+ years into IT and an entry level copy editor manages to get a 10k higher base salary it’s nobodies fault but your own.

I never said an entry level copy editor gets a $10k higher salary than my colleague. Just that our boss told him the copy editor is just as valuable to the unit (the copy editor does, in fact, get paid less) as a reason not to re-evaluate. The $10k difference is between my position and a newly posted entry level IT position elsewhere at the University.

IT jobs even in the private sector in this entire region are paid below industry average, its a well known issue, and the Uni was even worse than that but there were other benefits that made up for it. Then most of the Uni re-evaluated IT positions so they are paid in-line with industry average. Which made it really apparent how poorly paid those of us who weren't re-evaluated really are.

Our new incoming dept Director has now promised to re-evaluate our jobs. Which is positive. My colleagues are still applying for other jobs. Until recently I needed this job for visa reasons, so I'll see how this promised review works out and then decide if its time to jump ship.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Gang Gets Agile Certified

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

AlternateAccount posted:

It may be Stockholm Syndrome talking here, but Crestron stuff is not actually that bad (for the A/V world, at least). Get Crestron Toolbox, learn how to connect over ethernet and run a couple commands from the CLI and you can diagnose most of your problems fairly quickly.

The problem is that their is almost certainly a touch panel that was designed and "programmed" by a Crestron programmer. Best case scenario is they programmed the UI to the specifications of someone on the A/V staff and it will kinda-sorta make sense to the A/V department. Worse case scenario is that the programmer was left to their own devices and created the ugliest and least intuitive UI possible.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AMA about a year long renovation project that includes installing 10 Crestron Mercuries

This project has everything from incompetent facilities people taking 4 tries to mount a TV to one of the Mercuries killing the $1500 camera that was plugged into it.

e: add a sprinkle of driver issues that cause the mercury speaker phone to sound like total garbage because the sample rate was getting set wrong

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 24, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

unbutthurtable posted:

I'm an SE. You still looking for info?

Yes, lay it on me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh I don't personally intend to continue getting this poo poo new. But, we're stuck with what we've got for quite a few years and probably quite a few gently caress ups until they're officially obsolete and can be replaced.

Also it still makes me laugh every time, just how insipid "Management 3.0" and "Turn up the good" looks. Especially when you know charts like that are pushed around by executive types that are the reason Pink Floyd wrote "Animals".

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes, lay it on me.

I work for a company that develops its own software and sells it to other businesses through partners. Not like, direct to consumers or whatever. So, some of this might be specific to that setup, and a company that's a VAR, or an MSP, or consumer facing might be different.

But yeah. I work from home and it's usually pretty chill. I have a list of existing customers, about 20 or so, of which maybe 5 are enterprise level (so like, over 10k employees) and I work with them periodically to make sure they're getting good use of the software and to be their main technical point of contact. The goal is to make them find enough value in it that they renew each year, and maybe even expand their footprint into additional parts of the platform.

I'm partnered with a sales rep/account manager who does a lot of prospecting and working with partners to get us new business, which usually works by having a call where we demo the software and then ask them to test it out in their environment. If they agree, I work with an admin on their side to install and configure it and over the next few weeks we work together to give a bit of a more detailed tour of everything, and pull some reports that can be used to build a presentation about why this would be value in their environment, which usually needs to be customized to their specific needs/wants (especially decision-making executives).

The job itself is mostly from home, and my day is mostly meetings with existing customers to check in on them and make sure things are going smoothly. Some days can be pretty light, but some days are pretty back to back. I personally go onsite maybe once every 2-3 weeks, but that's because I was without a rep for a while and just got one who's still getting up to speed. Other SEs can be going to customers much more often.

Base pay is pretty good, and typically expected to be about 70% or 80% of your total compensation, with the rest being your commission. The commission is a set number that you get a pro-rated amount from based on what portion of your quota you meet that month. If you go over your quota you get a direction commission on additional revenue, and that percentage rate goes up the more you are over your quota. Typically those higher rates are called accelerators and you want to hit them (I absolutely will not this year lol).

I have some metrics I get judged on, like how many meetings of certain types I have with customers in a certain quarter, or how many products I've installed, etc. I'm not judged as harshly on metrics as sales reps are though -- not by a long shot. Unless they're over quota, they're under the gun pretty hard.

I was just a regular grunt admin at an MSP before this, and help desk at a big bank before that, so I had a pretty decent jack of all trades type IT background, which is good because a lot of the time I'm talking to admins and having a common base of understanding is important. A lot of your job is to be a technical expert on your own company's product, being able to chime in with details and experience when your sales rep is talking, and then being able to plan out and execute how to integrate it with a customer's production environment. There's a support team for break-fix stuff, thank god, but really small places may not have a team like that.

Does that give a good sense of it?

edit: job security is incredibly high as an SE, by the way. Since your job is to be a technical expert in a super specific thing that only exists within the company, it necessarily takes months and months (realistically six months, maybe even a year for some people) before you're up to speed and valuable. And management/the company always needs to factor in how long it would take to build up a replacement if they're thinking of canning you

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Defenestrategy posted:

:yeah:

My department has been yelled at over those little bastards a lot considering, 1) IT didn't pick crestrons 2) IT didn't install them and 3) We didn't pick the contractors who did.

See also: literally every piece of equipment/technology in our conference rooms. At least the ClickShares seem to be reasonably reliable, though now we're up to 50 of the motherfuckers in our facility, and I'm having to spearhead getting them on the network so we can manage them rather than sneaker-netting updates/changes. Yay, "organic growth."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:five:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KillHour posted:

That's all you got?

Lmao is this legit? Cuz I dodged a massive bullet if so holy poo poo

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Lmao is this legit? Cuz I dodged a massive bullet if so holy poo poo

Agreed. Having both a north and south orange line is needlessly complex for commuters and newer transit riders

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

South is clearly PANTONE 3588 C. North is PANTONE 7410 C.

It's that easy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

After staring at that for a few minutes I realized that leadership is totally disconnected from any other process, and as a result I now believe this to be the most accurate representation of real world work.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm "walking skeleton" near the bottom.

also

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
It's the worst game of Mornington Crescent I've ever seen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just got upgraded from a desktop with 4gb of DDR3 and an i3 2120 to 16gb of DDR4 and an i7 8550u :pcgaming:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What a lovely network when you can't take the circle line ccw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Fool posted:

After staring at that for a few minutes I realized that leadership is totally disconnected from any other process, and as a result I now believe this to be the most accurate representation of real world work.

Our software is used by a lot of their consultants for SAP and ERP systems and I can confim