Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who is the woman in the back that is a picture with all the living presidents

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Lady Gaga. You didn't recognize her because she is disguising herself as a normal human person.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1176290405702414337?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Skwirl posted:

Michelle Obama is the only person in that photo without blood on their hands.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not going to say she's completely innocent, she's married to a war criminal after all, I'm just saying she's not personally responsible for any deaths. (I'll admit I'm just assuming Melania Trump has killed someone or ordered it).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Guaranteed Melania has personally killed

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The point I was making by posting a picture of Ellen with W, specifically in response to someone asking if Ellen was cancelled, was not that being associated with a former president makes you persona non grata - it was the irony of Ellen specifically, who was being praised for her work in the LGBTQ community, having a rehabilitating moment with the single living president who has done the absolute most to ensure that LGBTQ people do not have the proper rights of straight, cisgendered people.

My point is that it’s pointless to argue if Ellen is “cancelled” because she is, at this point, a full arm of the status quo. She has the least offensive, most tepid show in television history, and she will absolutely will have on raging homophobes like W if it means she can get another generically famous person on to play games on a tablet with her. Kevin Hart going on Ellen means essentially nothing, especially if, as the discussion has completely skipped over, just two weeks ago he was telling Lil Nas X that he shouldn’t be complaining because gay people aren’t discriminated against and don’t have problems.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cool that we're just praising kevin hart for getting philadelphia public schools computers and not wondering what kind of hosed up economic priorities make it so a movie star comedian has to be the one to do the state's job

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lol fuckin' a "all 20 of these women are liars, we're sure of it"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is the woman in the back that is a picture with all the living presidents

don't blame Gaga for this, she had to stand directly behind HW to make sure he didn't try to grab her rear end when he got out of her sight

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

The point I was making by posting a picture of Ellen with W, specifically in response to someone asking if Ellen was cancelled, was not that being associated with a former president makes you persona non grata - it was the irony of Ellen specifically, who was being praised for her work in the LGBTQ community, having a rehabilitating moment with the single living president who has done the absolute most to ensure that LGBTQ people do not have the proper rights of straight, cisgendered people.

My point is that it’s pointless to argue if Ellen is “cancelled” because she is, at this point, a full arm of the status quo. She has the least offensive, most tepid show in television history, and she will absolutely will have on raging homophobes like W if it means she can get another generically famous person on to play games on a tablet with her. Kevin Hart going on Ellen means essentially nothing, especially if, as the discussion has completely skipped over, just two weeks ago he was telling Lil Nas X that he shouldn’t be complaining because gay people aren’t discriminated against and don’t have problems.

this is basically what i was trying to say about her being an extremely inoffensive One Of The Good Gays, but in smarter terms, yeah

like, compare her to someone like John Waters or Alison Bechdel and you'll get where I'm coming from: while i feel like i'm stepping outside my lane by saying this, it feels like a lot of her mainstream success has come as a result of minimizing her queerness as much as humanly possible without explicitly forcing herself back into the closet, and it's made her an acceptable token for the establishment more than any kind of pioneer

e: for the record, I am queer (non-binary and pansexual), but I am not DFAB or a lesbian and that's why I feel like this is somewhat outside my lane.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 24, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

cool that we're just praising kevin hart for getting philadelphia public schools computers and not wondering what kind of hosed up economic priorities make it so a movie star comedian has to be the one to do the state's job

also isnt that how every renegade cop movie starts?

I didn't see new Shaft but can anyone confirm Kevin Hart plays the bad guy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is basically what i was trying to say about her being an extremely inoffensive One Of The Good Gays, but in smarter terms, yeah

like, compare her to someone like John Waters or Alison Bechdel and you'll get where I'm coming from: while i feel like i'm stepping outside my lane by saying this, it feels like a lot of her mainstream success has come as a result of minimizing her queerness as much as humanly possible without explicitly forcing herself back into the closet, and it's made her an acceptable token for the establishment more than any kind of pioneer

e: for the record, I am queer (non-binary and pansexual), but I am not DFAB or a lesbian and that's why I feel like this is somewhat outside my lane.

Ellen's gimmick has always been "extremely safe non-threatening gay person." The only thing that's really different is that just saying you're gay is no longer counter-cultural.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Michelle Obama is the only person in that photo without blood on their hands.

I don't even know who that is in the far right background.

Pirate Jet posted:

I see what you mean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you kidding me he was on Ellen for crying out loud and went on the most public apology tour of the era. Kevin Hart has done more good for the world than any other comedian I can think of. Philadelphia public schools still wouldn’t have computers if it weren’t for Kevin Hart. Like if there is a better example of someone who honestly tried to make amends please post them.

Holy poo poo this isn't a joke post.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

R. Guyovich posted:

The long story short is that the superintendent of Philadelphia’s school system, Arlene Ackerman, embezzled something like $200,000,000 over the course of her career to herself and her family of cronies. When the city eventually figured out what was happening, she gave herself a giant multi-million dollar severance package, stepped down as the Superintendent, and promptly died, leaving all the money to her kids and her husband, who told Pennsylvania to suck eggs. Virtually penniless, the Philadelphia School board dissolved itself, and most public schools in the city had to lay off nonessential personal like music, art, and gym teachers to keep math and English teachers. That’s why I got hired by a non-profit to work as a teacher in like 30 different schools.

Hart grew up in Philly and knew the school system sucked and I don’t understand why a celebrity spending $50 million to help educate kids and give them better opportunities is seen as a bad thing. Yes the system sucks, yes he did lovely things, but isn’t donating a massive chunk of your personal wealth to impoverished children of color an objectively excellent thing? It just feels like some people want to poo poo on it in bad faith without really understanding the incalculably positive impact of this thing.

And of course it doesn’t change how lovely of a system it is in the first place but that has nothing to do with like literally anything we’ve been talking about.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ellen's gimmick has always been "extremely safe non-threatening gay person." The only thing that's really different is that just saying you're gay is no longer counter-cultural.

I’m sorry but exactly how gay should Ellen be acting? Like are you aware that Ellen Degeneres is literally one of the reasons being gay is no longer seen as counter cultural? She’s a skinny waiflike mincing twink who married a mega-gorgeous supermodel, she’s like an Ur-Lesbian. I really don’t follow this weird “Ellen is a sexuality traitor because she’s not like a huge aggressively gay stereotype shoving it down people’s faces” thing at all. I’m also a queer person and it just doesn’t make any sense to me what she could/should be doing differently besides being out and proud and making the world a safer place for gay people to be in. Expecting her to act “gayer” feels fundamentally ignorant.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 24, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It just feels like some people want to poo poo on it

They just want to poo poo on him.

Because he's an rear end in a top hat

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Does philanthropy absolve a person of any and all bad things they might have done, though?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Also on a different note, Unbelievable on Netflix is an incredibly good TV show about the true story of a young girl who was raped and not believed by the police, until detectives in another state began investigating a similar crime. Very much worth a watch.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Bad people can do good things, but it doesn't negate that they are bad people. Am I impressed with Hart's philanthropic efforts? Sure, but it doesn't erase his homophobia. Especially since it's not a one off incident that he later apologized for and was contrite about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

people do get banned from jobs, though. There are lifetimes bans from sports, for instance. And it doesn't necessarily take much. A guy managed to get banned from playing basketball in my state just for yelling at a ref.

There's a case going on in Australia right now where one jockey allegedly raped another jockey and his court case doesn't come up until next month. The woman who was raped has stopped working in order to avoid her rapist. The ruling body Equestrian Australia sought legal advice on "how best to balance [the accused's] right to earn a living while his matter is before the courts and its responsibility to his alleged victim" and in the end decided "the alleged incident did not take place at any EA events, locations or associated activities" and they didn't want to do anything that might prejudice his trial so they're just going to sit on their hands.
EA director Gillian Canapini quit the board the day before that statement was issued, she didn't provide any public reasons for her decision to step down.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/equestrian-competitor-charged-with-raping-fellow-rider-20190924-p52ukj.html

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

professor metis posted:

Does philanthropy absolve a person of any and all bad things they might have done, though?

I don’t think anyone gains anything at all by looking at the world in terms of Black and White this way.

I think if we’re looking at two ugly tweets and a dumb soundbite in one hand and a better quality of life for literally millions of children in the other that’s a much more reasonable conversation than basically anyone else discussed in this thread.

Good things and bad things don’t cancel each other out, but I think doing a small handful of relatively benign bad things (bad jokes made in poor taste and an ignorant statement made during a radio interview) shouldn’t completely invalidate all the good things he’s done for the world.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 24, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bust Rodd posted:

The long story short is that the superintendent of Philadelphia’s school system, Arlene Ackerman, embezzled something like $200,000,000 over the course of her career to herself and her family of cronies. When the city eventually figured out what was happening, she gave herself a giant multi-million dollar severance package, stepped down as the Superintendent, and promptly died, leaving all the money to her kids and her husband, who told Pennsylvania to suck eggs.

Wait, are you saying she embezzled $200 million from Philadelphia public schools in 2 years, or that she was also redirecting money through no bid contracts etc in her prior positions?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

Wait, are you saying she embezzled $200 million from Philadelphia public schools in 2 years, or that she was also redirecting money through no bid contracts etc in her prior positions?

the second one. She was basically if Betsy Devos was also the Trunchbull and very publicly had open contempt for educators. Her family has been hard at work however because her wikipedia page and youtube are scrubbed squeaky loving clean. she had a viral youtube video where she told the city during a press conference that teachers need to stop acting entitled to resources.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think anyone gains anything at all by looking at the world in terms of Black and White this way.

I think if we’re looking at two ugly tweets and a dumb soundbite in one hand and a better quality of life for literally millions of children in the other that’s a much more reasonable conversation than basically anyone else discussed in this thread.

Good things and bad things don’t cancel each other out, but I think doing a small handful of relatively benign bad things (bad jokes made in poor taste and an ignorant statement made during a radio interview) shouldn’t completely invalidate all the good things he’s done for the world.

You realise though that you are basically making this argument in reverse?

"Kevin Hart donated huge amounts of money to the Philadelphia school system, therefore people shouldn't criticise his homophobic sentiments."

It's frustrating to read your posts in this thread because although you're arguing against black and white thinking, your own thinking is incredibly black and white.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

professor metis posted:

You realise though that you are basically making this argument in reverse?

"Kevin Hart donated huge amounts of money to the Philadelphia school system, therefore people shouldn't criticise his homophobic sentiments."

It's frustrating to read your posts in this thread because although you're arguing against black and white thinking, your own thinking is incredibly black and white.

No, I'm specifically saying "maybe we shouldn't cancel a man completely because of dumb things he's said, especially considering all the good he has done with the world". I've literally never once said he should get a free pass, but many posters in the thread think that his entire career is forfeit and all the positive change he's enacted is meaningless.

"Kevin Hart is an unabashed HOMOPHOBE because of these 10 and 11 year old tweets! gently caress his entire career!" is black and white thinking. "Let's take a step back and not immediately write this entire person off as a shithead because they've positively impacted literally millions of people" is not. Unless you're running my posts through a filter before reading them I honestly don't understand how you're arriving at this conclusion.

Like, for example, I don;t stand up for any of the good Bill Cosby did, because Bill Cosby is an unapologetic Serial Rapist. I'm very comfortable ignoring his career and the millions he's donated to charity and scholarships and all the black kids he got through college etc because at the end of the day his crimes are simply too gruesome to ignore or forgive.

Contrast this with what kevin hart has done. Are they the same? Do they deserve the same scrutiny and reactions?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 24, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

No, I'm specifically saying "maybe we shouldn't cancel a man completely because of dumb things he's said, especially considering all the good he has done with the world". I've literally never once said he should get a free pass, but many posters in the thread think that his entire career is forfeit and all the positive change he's enacted is meaningless.

"Kevin Hart is an unabashed HOMOPHOBE because of these 10 and 11 year old tweets! gently caress his entire career!" is black and white thinking. "Let's take a step back and not immediately write this entire person off as a shithead because they've positively impacted literally millions of people" is not. Unless you're running my posts through a filter before reading them I honestly don't understand how you're arriving at this conclusion.

Like, for example, I don;t stand up for any of the good Bill Cosby did, because Bill Cosby is an unapologetic Serial Rapist. I'm very comfortable ignoring his career and the millions he's donated to charity and scholarships and all the black kids he got through college etc because at the end of the day his crimes are simply too gruesome to ignore or forgive.

Contrast this with what kevin hart has done. Are they the same? Do they deserve the same scrutiny and reactions?

Bust Rodd posted:

If 2018 has taught me anything, it’s that utterly destroying someone’s reputation based on as little information as possible is arguably more important than ignoring anyone’s claims, however sedate and meaningless they might appear to be.

“Once at Christmas party I bumped into George Clooney and wouldn’t you know it, we were under the mistletoe and he smooched me!”

“Actually ma’am George Clooney mouth raped you.”

“But I love George Clooney and he’s so sweet and charm-“

“Raped your mouth, miss, with his mouth.”

-this thread

(No one bring up the Katy Perry mouth rape scene from American Idol, where she tricks an incel into making out with her and then he came out as like “that was really gross”)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You quoted the post that made me take a break from this thread and reexamine my ideas. It's literally from a year and a half ago, but whatever, you got me. brilliant detective work Holmes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That must have been a short break because you were back at it the next day and have basically been just barely slipping your horrible opinions under the radar for over a year now.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
hard to believe that this thread is now worse than its equivalent in the video game forum, but impressive nonetheless

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Glad to see some people keep their Excel sheets updated with the bad posts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Philanthropy" should not exist.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Every philanthropist is just giving back a small percentage of what they're supposed to while promoting horrible stuff behind the scenes.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Glad to see some people keep their Excel sheets updated with the bad posts.

You don't need an Excel spreadsheet you can just click the '?' under Bust Rodd's name.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I keep mine on a local MSaccess database and run a basic localserver to pull up posts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just read the thread including my posts

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Taking a break from lurking in this thread.

Dude, I understand you are coming from a place where a person has personally affected your life with his philanthropy. However, I can also tell you it loving sucks that you think that really crude homophobia (and we have only seen a surface level of it and I imagine it continues based on that Little Nas interview he took place in) can get a pass. His apologies were paper thin, and I doubt he has truly reflected or changed his behavior. Queer people, of which I am one, still face a lot of loving harassment and stigma. Kevin Hart still has his radio shows, he still appears on HBO specials. He just didn't get to host the Oscars.

A person who has hurt others can still do good things. Yes, it's complex. But people are right to voice their discomfort and rally to remove a person they don't want to work with.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember Arlene Ackerman being really bad at her job, though I guess I missed the embezzlement thing. And her dying.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

looks like we got ourselves a member of The Patriots postin' here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The correct response to that situation would be to crucify the surviving members of the Ackerman family and retake the stolen money at the end of a bayonet, not prostrate yourself before the benevolence of a rich bigot