Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tezzeret seems like an admission that they understand that Nexus was a huge mistake and making a box promo the strongest card in Standard was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Tezzeret seems like an admission that they understand that Nexus was a huge mistake and making a box promo the strongest card in Standard was hosed up.

If he isn't, the eldraine promo definitely is

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I had a very funny game where I was at 1 health. My opponent was playing Orzhov (Ajanis and that flying vampire that buffs with life gain). He started using 3 Lifemenders to pump his creatures up higher and higher, but didn't attack. I was playing 4 color Elemental and just could not get anything going. Finally I was able to get a Risen Reef, Omnath and Scampering Scorcher out. I then used Neoform on the Spitfire to get out Yarok. Then thats when things really started to get out of hand. I got another Scorcher out which means I had 4 elementals instead of 2. That made Risen Reef proc like 8000 times. I got almost all my lands out, had something like 14 zombies from Field of the Dead (all while still at 1 health). I was then able to use that elemental that heals you for 3, I cast that 3 times and got up to 19 health, then cast a new Omnath and used his EOB effect twice to deal something like 18 points of damage directly to my opponent. Then I cast overrun and swung wide and killed him. I was so happy with that win because my opponent could've won whenever he wanted (his Ajanis was like 12/12, and the flyer was pretty close to 12/13).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'll be interested to see if the STFU Fairy sees a lot of play to shut down ETB nonsense like Yarok or the Agent of Treachery.

Funny thing, she stops creature ETBs but not land ETBs, so Fields of the Dead will still "work".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Insanely detailed article on the cheapest way to get the most cards.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Put that in the op, along with a tombstone for that guy with the Teferi av

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP to him, up in heaven

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like we'll be able to choose which rarity of our pet we display with the update on Thursday.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zoux posted:

The italicized section at the end where they recommend playing draft seems to have some really dubious assumptions in it. Like, they totally ignore the value of wildcards, and calculate the value of buying 5 packs as 4 rares + 0.5 mythics + 0.5 absolutely nothing at all. (The actual value is more than 5 in total, because you're also progressing the wildcard wheel as you open packs).

And of course, the whole thing is predicated on a presumed goal of getting a complete set as cheaply as possible, which is a bad goal for someone who doesn't want to spend money (a more reasonable goal would be "get 4x of the cards I want to play right now, and enough wildcards/potentially playable rares that I can play something else when I feel like it"). Based on the spreadsheet, assuming you go 3 wins in every draft (which is better than average), you're looking at spending like $400 worth of gems in order to do enough drafts to finish out a set.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

zoux posted:

What a good article. I didn't even take into consideration duplicate protection.

So basically do drafts, average at least a win in each draft, save all packs, pop them once the spreadsheet tells you to when it calculates that you have a good enough chance to fill out your collection. When you do it this way you also save on wildcards while building up gems.

Guess drafting is useful afterall.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Streamers have started doing the prerelease event for Eldraine on Twitch, good time to get a first look at some of the nonsense to expect

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

If he isn't, the eldraine promo definitely is

As it should be. Its such a good design for a buy a box promo. Its a card for commander, a good one at that that will have value and people will want, but also people will only want one copy of.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1176549826361798657

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zoux posted:

does that google docs doc just load forever for anyone else

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If I were playing on a potato and having performance issues like a lot of people I'd be pissed that they spend so much time working on animations instead of making the game run well, but since I actually play on decent computers I think the animations own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think the make the game run good team is the same as the animation team

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I assume the animations actively make the game run worse for people though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sinteres posted:

I assume the animations actively make the game run worse for people though.

yeah but you can turn them off.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy gently caress check out last Legendvd video. Guy drafted a Rakdos deck and destroyed!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

welp guess i have to figure out a deck that runs this

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Disappointed it's not just tiny people and bits of buildings raining everywhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Disappointed it's not just tiny people and bits of buildings raining everywhere.

I cast Nine Eleven

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's not what casting off a realm cloak looks like at all!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That is maybe the most genuine look of joy I have ever seen a streamer produce

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not gonna lie early reports of Simic Flash with Brazen Borrower seem hosed up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate simic flash so much

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

zoux posted:

Can I interest you in a card called Shifting Ceratops

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also Veil of Summer if you're playing bo3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been playing the 2020 ranked standard despite being bo1

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

zoux posted:

Whenever I get annoyed with other decks I run simic flash for a bit, it's a good stress reliever

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

I've been playing the 2020 ranked standard despite being bo1

I see the issue here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I see the issue here

I can't take 20 bolt RDW or Nexus anymore

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Simic Flash looks even stronger now with wildborn preserver, I'm very pumped because I like causing others misery.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have a theory that Bo1 just exists to explain how and why sideboards are a thing. Make simic flash the best deck in the format, and then show people veil of summer and ceratops and see if people make any connections.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Simic Flash is very far from the best deck in the format, but it probably has a greater concentration of mostly unbeatable draws than any other deck.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

A Moose posted:

I have a theory that Bo1 just exists to explain how and why sideboards are a thing. Make simic flash the best deck in the format, and then show people veil of summer and ceratops and see if people make any connections.

I have a playset of ceratops in my sideboard as simic flash specifically to board into against green decks that I expect to be running them (including the mirror)

E: they are also there to board in against Esper to hit teferi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is literally nothing these people won't whine about. I WANT FOUR UNCOMMONS SO 2 OF THEM COUNT TOWARDS THE VAULT

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Not gonna lie early reports of Simic Flash with Brazen Borrower seem hosed up

Yeah the deck could really use an aggressive 3 drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dracula Factory posted:

Simic Flash looks even stronger now with wildborn preserver, I'm very pumped because I like causing others misery.

a worthy successor to the fallen Bicyclops