Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

I've got a criminal record.

The lowest price on discogs.com for this release is $0.43 USD. The median sold price was at $1.12 USD.

What the hell is this?

EDIT:taxxe

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm guessing he doxxed someone and found their arrest record or something. Because that's a very normal thing to do and one poster definitely represents us all, obviously.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol this thing being the only ship that can do quantum interdiction is amazing. It almost makes me want to get one because griefing somebody 10 minutes into their 15 minute travel is loving :discourse:

Too bad it'll be broken as gently caress.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol this thing being the only ship that can do quantum interdiction is amazing. It almost makes me want to get one because griefing somebody 10 minutes into their 15 minute travel is loving :discourse:

Too bad it'll be broken as gently caress.

Let me guess it will still be slower than all of the whale ships so totally useless, unless you know the whales pathing ahead of time.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

The lowest price on discogs.com for this release is $0.43 USD. The median sold price was at $1.12 USD.

What the hell is this?

EDIT:taxxe

To answer your question, it's basically Hell in vinyl form, an sample thusly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

What the hell is this?
An extremely poo poo but weirdly catchy song by a comedian from the 1970s.

Look, we Brits gave you the Beatles, Led Zepplin, Stone Roses, Queen, Pink Floyd, the best half of Fleetwood Mac... the list goes on and on frankly. We're allowed the occasional Mr Blobby too, okay? loving deal with it!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Also:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

Let me guess it will still be slower than all of the whale ships so totally useless, unless you know the whales pathing ahead of time.

Based on skimming that fawning Newsweek article (lol) it seems like its gonna be seriously undergunned but tbh you can pull people out of quantum in a 10,000-20,000 meter sphere and it's entirely passive (it charges up and deploys, like the EMP) so your victims cant do anything about it aside from find you and kill you. Its gonna be a nightmare lol.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Oh I think people will know when the veil gets lifted, this isn't it :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Based on skimming that fawning Newsweek article (lol) it seems like its gonna be seriously undergunned but tbh you can pull people out of quantum in a 10,000-20,000 meter sphere and it's entirely passive (it charges up and deploys, like the EMP) so your victims cant do anything about it aside from find you and kill you. Its gonna be a nightmare lol.

That's exactly what SC, the 'game' reknowned for it's laborious travel times and arduous waiting times needs, a player bought, soon to be flyable, inconvenience to travel. :thumbsup:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Newsweek has all the exclusives...

quote:

"It's not just another ship. It's a ship and a feature coming together and being launched straight out there."

quote:

It launches in bleeding-edge Evocati testing later this week and is planned to be on live servers sometime around the game's anniversary on October 10. In the months ahead, then, CIG has many plans for the future of this ship and its hallmark feature.

One such goal is to make both Quantum Enforcement mechanics more nuanced. "I'm sure in the future we want to require you to have a bunch of Mantises or other ships with Quantum Enforcement Devices and pull them together to pull out a large Capital Ship," Tome suggested. "Maybe there will be a Capital Ship designed to pull out other Capital Ships. But for this first version we won't quite get to that balancing yet."

quote:

As Crewe admitted, the sheer vastness of the Star Citizen universe also creates some curious snags. "One thing that people might see as a bug is the expectation that every time you fire this thing off you're going to get a hit," he said. "That's probably not going to be the case. We're going to try and limit those dead catches as best we can, but it is a very situational thing."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm not buying it until I know if it punches above its weight.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Gotta love the new "jpg" is proudly advertised as "straight to flyable" from announcement to live, so buy now. Meanwhile, you've still got ships bought years ago that have not been seen. I mean I know it's not new behavior, but seeing the "straight to flyable" advertised as a good thing makes me think of that.

Oh, and this is the interdiction ship, because you gotta keep escalating to keep the jpb money flowing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wow, a lot of salt on Spectrum about this ship, and the enthusiasm seems muted on Reddit. I'm sure as soon as CIG announces something they care about the shills will be back, but this one seems like a swing and a miss so far.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also loling at the complete lack of any attempt to hide the paid promotion from newsweek

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wow, a lot of salt on Spectrum about this ship, and the enthusiasm seems muted on Reddit. I'm sure as soon as CIG announces something they care about the shills will be back, but this one seems like a swing and a miss so far.

Once it gets fully released I'm sure the astroturfing accounts will start pushing it hard.
It's "unexplainable" how the pattern is new ship announced, reddit complains, new ship released, everyone talking about how great the new ship is. It's almost as if all the people who pop up after the ship releases are just there to hype/sell the product. Odd I know.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

some fan did a comic called 'anchor' a while back that was way cooler than just having one ship in the whol' galaxy that can do it.

quote:

This is especially true given that, as Tome described, using the Mantis' Quantum Enforcement Device is a huge drain on the vehicle's power to defend. "Because the activation and tethering of the Quantum Enforcement Device will require a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, you'll have to turn down other systems. That's the way we're going to balance it so that you won't have full shields, full thrusters and full weapons." If there's any solace in that at all, it's that others in your party will be informed of every ship you've captured.

Ship is designed to be useless by itself. Your engines are crippled so people will just fly away from you and jump out. Though its not like you could kill them in the first place, since your weapons and shields are crippled too.

For piracy you have to have some idiot to volunteer to fly the Mantis. They get to be useless in a fight while being the #1 target.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Making every gameplay system exclusive to single ships is such a weird design choice. I mean, I know why they're doing it - to sell ships - but it would make much more sense, from a lore and gameplay perspective, for these things to be attachable modules and such for other ships. Why would you get a bunch of these little interdiction ships instead of just putting that functionality on a bigger ship that can actually, you know, fight? The only practical application of this is piracy, after all.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

To my understanding, if The Star Citizen's "Persistent Universe" wants to truly be a living, breathing, universe world, then there must have to be "countermeasures" to allow the defending player not to be disadvantaged by the ability of an attacking player to choose the engagement.

That's, at least, how I see it.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2019

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I'm sure in the future we want to [actually make a video game]

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Making every gameplay system exclusive to single ships is such a weird design choice. I mean, I know why they're doing it - to sell ships - but it would make much more sense, from a lore and gameplay perspective, for these things to be attachable modules and such for other ships. Why would you get a bunch of these little interdiction ships instead of just putting that functionality on a bigger ship that can actually, you know, fight? The only practical application of this is piracy, after all.

It would make sense for it to be a variant of or a replacement for the EMP devices in various bounty hunter-type ships.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Wait I just reread this bit:

"the game's anniversary on October 10"

Does Chris celebrate his conception every year?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

RSI Pubis

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pixelate posted:

Wait I just reread this bit:

"the game's anniversary on October 10"

Does Chris celebrate his conception every year?

Real games have anniversary celebration parties. And Star Citizen is nothing if not spending huge amounts of money on pretending to be a game.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
CryTek discovery team has perfect timing.

Totally a joke.

But weirder things have happened.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

The 20-30 km Quantum Snare range passes in 0.0004 seconds with a 50,000 km/sec quantum drive.
Will it be possible to scan the quantum effect of the approaching vessel within millions of kilometers to allow the Quantum Snare to operate at the desired moment?
(Quantum Drive 10 seconds past 500,000 km)

Lol it ain't even out yet and its worthless

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

it operates continuously once it goes

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I stand corrected. It is (maybe) not broken yet lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The idea that SCs servers will be able to handle a few of these bubbles in relation to ships flying around and determine when a ship is "snared" will be fun to see.

I imagine the first time more than 1 of these on a server is up and running it'll crash the server.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Going back to Freelancer, the cruise disruption missiles seem like a better method of putting this into gameplay. Stopping someone from fleeing. The current method is to sit around in deep space waiting for somebody to come along, and then being blown up by them because your ship sucks?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

~ METZEN ~

I am seriously still angry (if you can't tell from my last post) about the SC2 campaign.

SC's world and atmosphere were really good. It was a proper war drama. All the factions did bad poo poo, all the factions had flaws and villains, people loving died, and it was exciting and believable.

Then SC2 is just like a goddamn high school soap opera plot.

The SC2 campaign was so cringe worthy outside of the occassional fun set piece. Sure, Raynor thought Kerrigan was hot in the first game and was angry when she got abandoned, but we really did not need some weird redemption love story arc taking up half the campaign in the sequel.

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

Making the player a character in a big SC1 universe where the Protoss are going around glassing planets that the Zerg invaded was definitely a good move and the whole SC2 experience being focused on boring characters is just so uninteresting by comparison.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

the best half of Fleetwood Mac...

Woah there, while i love Mad Mick and John McVie is a god on bass, Buckingham is an awesome guitarist and responsible for many of their hits. And of course Nicks is one of the few people in music who is allowed to wear a top hat and get away with it, the other two being Slash and Noddy Holder. Also of course a shout out to Christie McVie for being responsible for Everywhere, one of my favourite Mac songs. They all are awesome.

For those not familiar with Noddy Holder, another great, yet crazy British band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2F7jjnuoM

Now, after listening to that, light up a joint, and listen to one of the most stoner tunes ever, by the early Fleetwood Mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_wA_EvOoo

Oh, and also got to throw the great Jethro Tull into the mix as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GAuexrVzo

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 24, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Sssshhhhhh, we must remain silent while the Kilrathi carrier flies over us in case they hear us in the vacuum of space and attack.

That bit might have actually broken my brain a bit when I watched it, once.

I think the original series of Star Trek also had an episode where both sides in a battle went to minimal power and just kept listening on passive sensors like submarines. Finally, someone knocked an object off of a console and the sound from it hitting the floor somehow alerted the enemy kilometers away in space, causing both sides to go full power and fire again. It only hit me in hindsight just how dumb that is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I love the raging forest fire known as Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cloud Imperium Games Vehicle Pipeline Director

from the article.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64R918K-3L8

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Popete posted:

The idea that SCs servers will be able to handle a few of these bubbles in relation to ships flying around and determine when a ship is "snared" will be fun to see.

I imagine the first time more than 1 of these on a server is up and running it'll crash the server.

My bet is the delay will cause one of two results:

1. By the time the capture is recorded the player ship will be far enough away that once it drops out, it will be in a location no where near the interdiction. Maybe as added fun they will rubberband back to the interdiction ship!

2. The ship will carry on as if nothing happened but every time they try to engage QT they will receive a message stating they are interdicted, thus forcing a hard restart of the game, at which point they will be flagged for combat logging!

WINWIN!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

straight-to-flyable

our first straight-to-playable mechanic

:laffo:

Imagine having to clarify, with specific terminology, that what you just advertised and sold in your game for hundreds of dollars per piece is actually going to be usable in any capacity whatsoever by the people who bought it in any specific time frame. Imagine one of your highlights, part of the sizzle, is being able to implement the mechanic which that object is for when it ends up in the game.

I can only imagine EA and Ubisoft and Activision execs looking on in sick envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

:laffo:

Imagine having to clarify, with specific terminology, that what you just advertised and sold in your game for hundreds of dollars per piece is actually going to be usable in any capacity whatsoever by the people who bought it in any specific time frame. Imagine one of your highlights, part of the sizzle, is being able to implement the mechanic which that object is for when it ends up in the game.

I can only imagine EA and Ubisoft and Activision execs looking on in sick envy.

Then imagine all the people who bought hundreds of dollars worth of ships years ago who have had no update since.