Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My 10 month old puppy is calmer than my 8 year old dog now, I have no idea what bizarro world I've stepped into. She's also bigger than the 8 year old (same breed) which isn't notable or unusual but is still very surreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

IIRC you're in a Floridian hellhole, but one of my bassets just has seasonal issues with allergies, basically from July - Oct. If the symptoms are being treated enough that it isn't a discomfort of life imo see if it's a summer thing and be proactive next year come spring.

Bassets are deaf anyway when sniffing so eh to that concern.

Yeah Floridian, sadly they don't think it's allergies but a super aggressive infection. We've done cultures and adjusted based on that but if I don't clean her ears every day I just get an explosion of nastiness to deal with. Sadly I'd say it has crossed into discomfort of life, she wakes up in the middle of the night and is obviously agitated and shaking her head for 30-60 minutes at a time.

And yeah, 'selective hearing' is definitely a hound trait. I'm not even convinced the snoot works that well, the amount of times I throw a snack near her and she struggles to find it is hilarious.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there a rule of thumb for when to remove a chew that's worn down? Our lady loves yak milk chews, and obviously I don't want her to swallow the nub whole. It feels wasteful to take it from her too early, but it goes without saying I'd rather not practice the doggie Heimlich maneuver. I'm sure "err on the side of caution" is the answer, but I'm curious.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Boxman posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for when to remove a chew that's worn down? Our lady loves yak milk chews, and obviously I don't want her to swallow the nub whole. It feels wasteful to take it from her too early, but it goes without saying I'd rather not practice the doggie Heimlich maneuver. I'm sure "err on the side of caution" is the answer, but I'm curious.

Aren’t those the ones you can stick the nub in the microwave? It puffs up like a marshmallow. Once it cools down it’s soft and she can chew and finish it safely.

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
Does anyone have any advice for a puppy that is stubborn on walks? Specifically just leading away from our apartment. She will walk fine in other neighborhoods and walks fine home, but will walk to her potty patch and no further unless we scoop her up and walk her a block away.

She’s a 4.5 month old English bulldog. Walks well on a leash when she’s inclined to move at all...just has a rough time getting started.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

film_critic posted:

Does anyone have any advice for a puppy that is stubborn on walks? Specifically just leading away from our apartment. She will walk fine in other neighborhoods and walks fine home, but will walk to her potty patch and no further unless we scoop her up and walk her a block away.

She’s a 4.5 month old English bulldog. Walks well on a leash when she’s inclined to move at all...just has a rough time getting started.

You could try luring her with food/treats/toys, or being energetic or jogging while starting the walk, that might get her moving.

Otherwise, you could try to train her to distinguish between reasons why you're going outside with her. So if it's just to relieve herself, you say "go potty" or whatever, but if it's for a walk, attach a different command to it.

It doesn't always work for every dog, but one of my three distinguishes between different outdoor trips/activity pretty well, she understands "go potty" as "we're going to go pee/poop and head back inside", "let's go" is "let's go on a walk, and you're free to wander a bit, politely", "with me" is "come walk next to me and focus on me" (good for crowds/risky situations), and "go sniff" is "go be a dog for a while, and it's okay if you're at the end of your leash." It took quite a bit of work to get to that point, but some dogs benefit a lot from at least some signal between a potty break vs. a walk.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4mo can be right about when they get a strong fear period so that's one thing to keep in mind when you're frustrated that they wont walk.

imo you're just going to have to do a ton of extra walks because sometimes they just wont be productive once you're outside. we used to take small kibble treats and drop them on the sidewalk every 3-4 feet to keep our pup comfortable and willing to explore a bit more.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll be getting a dog for the first time soon. It'll be about 5-6 months or so and I am very excited about it. Been doing research and reading books and stuff. I've trained other animals (parrots) so I'm confident I'll be able to train a good well adjusted dog.

I don't have any questions or w/e. I'm just excited about dogs a posting into the void. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 20, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dogs are cool. Sometimes stressful, but that's how life is. Worth it for a cute, lovable goofball.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Jesus. Christ.

Started stirring, heard the dog jump off the bed this morning. Figured he had to go potty, so I got up and asked him if he has to go potty.

So he jumped on the bed and pissed on the brand new comforter we just bought two days ago to replace the previous, pee stained comforter.

I’m so stressed with this loving puppy. He’s 7 months old, nearly 8. Has no other regular accidents in the house. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey all, been mulling around the idea of adopting an older dog for the past few months. I've always wanted to have a dog, but my parents weren't keen on the idea, and now that I'm older and making a stable income I want to add a dog to my life. Full disclosure, I live in an apartment in NYC and have never owned any sort of pet before. I work a 9-5 but am fully willing to pay for a dog walker/dog sitter while I'm away, or doggy daycare. I can also work from home 2x a week.

I've looked around shelters, but most of not all of their dogs are some sort of bully breed mix, and since this'll be my first time owning any sort of pet, I don't want to jump right into the deep end. Similarly unsure about a greyhound, as I hear they shouldn't be left off leash due to their high prey drive, and I sometimes catsit my friend's cat.

Looking around a lot of people recommend golden or labrador retrievers as a first pet, but the breed specific rescues I've looked at seem to require that I have a fenced yard. I live close to Central Park so I'm planning on making Sheep Meadow my defacto yard, but not sure if that'll fly with a rescue. Thus I'm considering submitting an application for adopting from the Seeing Eye - was wondering if anyone had any tips for that? Do I just submit an application and wait? It's a pretty spare application, just a couple of yes/no questions with a textbox for 'additional information', which doesn't seem all that much to go on compared to some of the applications I've seen for adopting from a rescue. Should I write an essay or something? Or would it be better for me to find a reputable breeder and buy an adult dog from them? Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So my dog is on another course of meds including family favorite, prednisone. Everyone whose had to administer this before will automatically have sympathy for me, as I come home to a forest of piss every night for the next 2-3 weeks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

Jesus. Christ.

Started stirring, heard the dog jump off the bed this morning. Figured he had to go potty, so I got up and asked him if he has to go potty.

So he jumped on the bed and pissed on the brand new comforter we just bought two days ago to replace the previous, pee stained comforter.

I’m so stressed with this loving puppy. He’s 7 months old, nearly 8. Has no other regular accidents in the house. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

you may need to consider making your bed a no dog zone

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BraveUlysses posted:

Also I’d be curious to know how long it had been since his last pee. 7/8 months old might not be able to make it through the night yet. He might also just be being an 8 month old rear end in a top hat as puppies are wont to do. My male did something similar to our bed when he was around that age, it was almost like he just didn’t feel like getting up to go outside and pissing the bed was easier.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You're making me really grateful than when I first got Apollo (he was ~1 year old maybe) he would rather wake me up at 2AM to go pee than use the bed. Good boy, best boy. Even if I hated getting up at 2 goddamned AM.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My female comes to the bedroom door and yips very quietly so she doesn’t wake the rest of the house up if she needs to have a late night poop :3:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also I’d be curious to know how long it had been since his last pee. 7/8 months old might not be able to make it through the night yet. He might also just be being an 8 month old rear end in a top hat as puppies are wont to do. My male did something similar to our bed when he was around that age, it was almost like he just didn’t feel like getting up to go outside and pissing the bed was easier.

He can normally hold it from about 8pm to 5am, often a bit longer. He's a very submissive dog and has a habit of submissive urination, and I think that's the habit I really need to break. I'm training him for simple tricks like sit, down, stay, and he's doing good with that.

I think this morning's event was a display of submission. I'm starting to think about getting a professional trainer, or at least getting him in courses, it might help us both out a lot.

They usually have a fear period around this age though, right?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Giving your dog positive rewards/feedback when he does go to the bathroom outside can help build their confidence and establish a routine. My dog took to potty training really quick and we only had a handful of accidents inside the house from 10 weeks old.

Take them outside frequently enough to give them the chance to go. Trusting a young dog to tell you when they need to go outside is hard. Some dogs signs are very subtle, sometimes they don't even know. There is also the possibility that you are missing some of their queues that they need to go to the bathroom. Also maybe consider some classical conditioning to help build a bathroom routine. We hung a bell from our door and trained our dog to nose bump it when he had to go to the bathroom. Eventually we heard the bell, he goes outside and gets a rewards when he pees. The rewards eventually stop or become affection instead of treats. If your dog is having trouble holding their bladder, maybe consider taking them to the vet to make sure they dont have an infection of some sort. Most dogs around 7-12 months should be able to hold their bladders pretty long (depending on the breed and size), usually through the night. Just make sure you watch water consumption after their last potty break. I also make it a point to let my dog outside RIGHT before I go to bed. The hour of getting ready for bed is just another hour your dog is holding their bladder.

In other cases, dogs start getting to an adolescent age similar to teenage years where they start defying their training and trying to challenge you by doing things like marking territory. Its frustrating. Our dog was house broken by 12 weeks with only a few accidents up to that. He was obedience trained and very well behaved. Around 7-9 months, he started ignoring much of his obedience training. One instance that I clearly remember was when I was putting clean sheets on the bed. He saw the pile of clean laundry and walked right on top of it and stared me in the face before proceeding to pee on them. He did the same thing to one of my wifes sweatshirts around the same time. He only ever did those two acts and eventually grew out of it.

Getting a trainer is never a bad idea. They can help build confidence and identify your dogs queues to go to the bathroom.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I give him a piece of boiled chicken and a lot of praise for going outside potty, and he's been responding very well to that. I'm hoping this is still just general puppy accident stage - these things do happen, and I should really not try to fret unless it becomes extremely problematic.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Another thing to think about is that you asked him if he needed to potty. If you used the special command word he might have taken that as you telling him it was ok. I know when I say “want to go out?” to my dog he runs right to the door whether that was what he wanted originally or not.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

And if you think it's submissive peeing, when you wake up to let him out, try not to look or speak or really interact directly with the dog, just calmly go to let him out. The more you can make him feel like it's calm and not a big deal, the more relaxed he'll be, and less likely to reactively pee.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I will keep that in mind, thanks everyone.

I vent, but I do love this dog and it's all still worth it for those sweet puppy love moments.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BraveUlysses posted:

This. My puppy was not allowed on my bed for the first year. Too untrustworthy. There's plenty of time for bed cuddling when he's a year+ old and has his bladder under better control.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Okay thread, we need some extra encouragement/wisdom here.

Our dog absolutely completely loses her poo poo when she sees other dogs on walks and we don't know how to fix it. There are no outright signs of aggression, but she is extremely reactive. Barking, whining, and worst of all, lunging. We have to physically drag her away from any dog, which occasionally ends in super long walks if we keep running into dogs going the same direction as us.

Standard advice is to find the distance at which she does not activate, then bring them closer together while jamming treats in her. The problem is that her "safe" distance is, as near as we can tell, effectively infinite; if she notices a dog, she spills over. We've been praising her when she turns away, however briefly. Treats are impossible because she's so energized there is nothing we can give her to draw her attention away from the other dog. This has been going on for three months and we have yet to have anything that might be called an okay encounter with another dog.

We thought - with the help of our trainers - that she's just very excited to meet another dog, and given the opportunity to play, she may cool to an acceptable level immediately. So we brought her into a dog daycare for an orientation, which she promptly failed. Doesn't sound like anything we haven't seen, but that's another opportunity for the dog to get her energy out that we have cut off to us.

We aren't in a good place with her right now. A huge part of dog ownership, for us, was to be with her out and about. We live a stone's throw from a great park, and the idea that we can't take her there because there are other dogs is insanely frustrating. There are a million dog friendly events in our suburb and city, and we can't even think about doing any of them. We got an athletic dog because we're both runners, and had dreams of training her to run with us, but I'm not tying something to my waist that is, without fail, going to try to pull me over if she sees another dog.

Just checked my post history, I'd posted about this reactivity back in July, haha. But she didn't pee in the house again!

Anyway, here's another picture of our idiot.

EDIIT: i'm trying to take to heart the thread's prior advice that not every dog is for every household and that we should not be martyrs for our animals, but...the idea of turning this dog out for what is, at the end of the day, an hour or two of unpleasant time outside is rough. She's fine enough in the house. Not as friendly with the cat as we might like but it doesn't feel like we're on pins all the time with everyone in the house.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 24, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Having a reactive dog is really rough! You have my utmost sympathy!

Some things that helped me with my reactive dog:

Behavior Adjustment Training by Grisha Stewart (This was great when he was too amped up to even think about treats)

Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt

Amy Cook's reactive dog classes at the Fenzi Academy

Also if your trainer hasn't been able to help you enough you might want to look into finding a veterinary behaviorist.

For now if walks are stressing all of you out maybe you need to take a break from them and get her exercise other ways. Do flirt pole or spring pole work, wear her brain out with nosework, do some short late night sprints when there are fewer dogs around. Sometimes you just need to break out of the cycle for a bit. This is going to be a long term process so a few months of no walks except when you are prepared to work the whole time isn't going to hurt her.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Akarshi posted:

Hey all, been mulling around the idea of adopting an older dog for the past few months. I've always wanted to have a dog, but my parents weren't keen on the idea, and now that I'm older and making a stable income I want to add a dog to my life. Full disclosure, I live in an apartment in NYC and have never owned any sort of pet before. I work a 9-5 but am fully willing to pay for a dog walker/dog sitter while I'm away, or doggy daycare. I can also work from home 2x a week.

I've looked around shelters, but most of not all of their dogs are some sort of bully breed mix, and since this'll be my first time owning any sort of pet, I don't want to jump right into the deep end. Similarly unsure about a greyhound, as I hear they shouldn't be left off leash due to their high prey drive, and I sometimes catsit my friend's cat.

Looking around a lot of people recommend golden or labrador retrievers as a first pet, but the breed specific rescues I've looked at seem to require that I have a fenced yard. I live close to Central Park so I'm planning on making Sheep Meadow my defacto yard, but not sure if that'll fly with a rescue. Thus I'm considering submitting an application for adopting from the Seeing Eye - was wondering if anyone had any tips for that? Do I just submit an application and wait? It's a pretty spare application, just a couple of yes/no questions with a textbox for 'additional information', which doesn't seem all that much to go on compared to some of the applications I've seen for adopting from a rescue. Should I write an essay or something? Or would it be better for me to find a reputable breeder and buy an adult dog from them? Thanks!

I've only adopted adult shelter dogs. My area may be significantly different than yours though.

Have you checked Petfinder? There may be some smaller, non-breed specific rescues that don't show up on Google searches in the first couple of pages. In my area, some rescues pull dogs from shelters and foster them. Sometimes they take in owner surrenders too.

You could also try asking the doggy daycare you might use if they know about/work with any rescues. Some in my area do. I think they donate daycare days to fosters.

As far as providing additional information, it couldn't hurt so they can try to place a dog that best fits your lifestyle.

I think looking for a specific breed when looking to adopt an adult dog isn't as necessary as looking to adopt a puppy. Think about what size, what kinds of grooming requirements (short hair, long hair, needs haircuts?), if they've been around cats, do they need to be good with kids/small kids, stuff like that.

There's a greyhound thread here too you should check out. They do make great apartment dogs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my 8mo puppy's handiwork yesterday afternoon

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At least it looks like you can powerwash most of that off? Sorry though, that's never a good time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This is exactly why I see my weathertech mats as a worthy investment. Situations like this made the first usage worth every penny.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah when my pup was maybe 3 months, she did that to my daughter's room. She somehow got loose from the kitchen where we had her penned, locked herself accidentally in the carpeted bedroom, pooped and then spread it everywhere. That is when I started buying the Nature's Miracle in the gallon instead of the spray bottle.

At least car pooch was nice enough to keep it on the floor for the most part!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Verman posted:

This is exactly why I see my weathertech mats as a worthy investment. Situations like this made the first usage worth every penny.

I transport livestock in my CR-V with weathertech liners. If they can hold up to being used like a barn stall they can handle your dog. A quick rinse with the pressure washer and they're good as new.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My beagles liver is enlarged and they're torn between Cushings or cancer as the diagnosis. gently caress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So there's a problem with one of my parents' dogs barking at people, with the main issue being when he's in the back yard and the neighbor's kid is playing in their backyard. I do not think my parents are taking this seriously enough, because I'd frankly be extremely pissed off if my neighbor had an extremely loud dog barking at my child while they try to play outside. He also frequently barks a lot if people come into our house, though he doesn't do it if there's a big group for some reason (like if one person comes over he'll bark a bunch, but if there's a larger get-together or something he doesn't). He is actually fairly well-behaved when taken to the vet or something. It seems like "people getting near or entering the house" is the specific thing that makes him flip his poo poo. If someone rings the doorbell (or he just hears them approaching the front door) he'll act like the world is ending.

Is there anything that I could do myself to potentially help fix this issue? Part of me wonders if it's even fixable, since I think the dog in question might have some sort of trauma from when he was a puppy (he's a rescue, though we got him when he was like 5-6 months old). If you try to pet him from the front he'll flinch (though he's fine once you touch him) and he'll also sort of twitch when you first start petting him. Fortunately he has never once bitten anyone; it is very obvious that he's barking out of fear (particularly having had a dog in the past with actual aggression biting problems, the difference is pretty obvious; he'll actually back away while barking when people come into the house). But this barking still needs to stop, because it is very loud and scary sounding and it isn't acceptable for the neighbors. I really do not understand why my parents can't seem to comprehend how serious this is.

Both myself and my parents have tried rewarding him on the extremely rare occasions he stops barking, but this doesn't seem to work. They also have a second dog, and apparently the other dog being calm and normal does nothing to help convince him that things are okay (second dog is very well behaved and seems very confused when the other dog starts barking).

edit: Probably not that relevant, but the dog in question is a ~70lb mutt.
edit2: Also while it's probably not clear from this post, he's actually a very sweet and kinda dopey dog aside from this issue. Despite being physically bigger than the other dog, he's the more submissive one and seems to have internalized their relationship from when they were puppies (and the other dog was a couple months older and bigger to start with as a result).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 30, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

phwoar

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
We've been puppy shopping for a little bit and this little dude popped up:
https://www.petlandbolingbrook.com/pet/detail/petland-bolingbrook-il/2445768/bernese-mountain-dog/
First off, reputable place? It seems part of a chain so it slightly stinks of puppy mill but who knows. Hopefully not since my girlfriend really would like to meet the puppy and I don't want to get her hopes up.
Second, are these kind of dogs suitable for apartment living? We've met a few out walking in Chicago and the owners have said that they do fine in smaller dwellings as long as you exercise them regularly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Petland the chain or just somewhere with a similar name? If it’s the chain, then avoid avoid avoid.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I vetted some puppy places near me and they all seemed pretty okay so I put myself on one of the waiting lists. Does anybody have some good book recommendations for dog/puppy ownership and training and stuff? I'd like to be a Good Pet Owner.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Agent355 posted:

I vetted some puppy places near me and they all seemed pretty okay so I put myself on one of the waiting lists. Does anybody have some good book recommendations for dog/puppy ownership and training and stuff? I'd like to be a Good Pet Owner.

Read the OP of this thread, and then the OP of the dog training thread. Honestly better resources than any book.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

That Petland is part of the chain. I'm no expert, but I'd be generally skeptical of any dog seller that offered me $100 off to "book my appointment today!" That's some car dealership nonsense. (rescues are obviously exempt from this, but even they usually schedule their clear-the-cages specials)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Check out this gently used Alsatian. One previous owner, old lady only took it to church on Sundays.