Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

How could you type so many words and still manage to make it a generic msp sales pitch?

It’s not just a sales pitch. It’s real. IT for a 100 users, 1000 users or 100000 users is both the same and different. MSPs, Enterprise or Government. It’s still a bunch of computers.

Go look at the case studies. Hell, didn’t a tech from spirt airlines tell us everything was in Azure a few months ago?

Anyhow, I’ve made my argument. That’s where I’m directing my career and yours it is up to you.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

It’s not just a sales pitch. It’s real. IT for a 100 users, 1000 users or 100000 users is both the same and different. MSPs, Enterprise or Government. It’s still a bunch of computers.

How incredibly insightful. You have won me over!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But we’re making the impossible possible and it might save money at some point!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Tell me all about your preferences for solving problems the cheap way instead of the right way

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's gonna be fun when a recession hits and all the as-a-service providers hike the prices to keep the shareholders happy, and there's no way to get out

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orange sky posted:

It's gonna be fun when a recession hits and all the as-a-service providers hike the prices to keep the shareholders happy, and there's no way to get out

What makes you think that’s any different when you renew software licenses for On-Premise software?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

What makes you think that’s any different when you renew software licenses for On-Premise software?

Windows and office licenses were friendly to recession, even if that wasn't Microsoft intention. They (were) licensed enough to weather a boom\bust cycle.

Next recession is gonna be a extreme bloodbath. What if we setup a email server for less important employees?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

The cloud shuts off. On prem stays online but is unlicensed. Huge difference.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

The cloud shuts off. On prem stays online but is unlicensed. Huge difference.

It's not every day that I reveal that I have no data redundancy plan, but when I do...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I for one also gently caress around with severe licensing violations during lean times

Nothing screams "fiscal responsibility" like needlessly incurring a massive financial liability

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If your business can't afford $8 licenses for E1 increasing 100% to $16 per month, you should have been circulating your resume already

A "business" that can't handle this should be using free Gmail accounts, using free Google productivity apps, etc. Not spending five figures on email DAGs and even more on the IT staff to manage them

You're invoking the hypothetical existence of business that can afford people like you not not subscription services. At best, I'll accuse you of looking for a very niche situation to justify your thoughts about austerity and licensing.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I for one also gently caress around with severe licensing violations during lean times

Nothing screams "fiscal responsibility" like needlessly incurring a massive financial liability

I think the company no longer being able to do business is a bigger liability.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

If your business can't afford $8 licenses for E1 increasing 100% to $16 per month, you should have been circulating your resume already

Holy over simplification batman

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

I think the company no longer being able to do business is a bigger liability.

They already need to be looking at free options.

Or this "business" is a figment of your motivated imagination

orange sky posted:

yeah it's a Sunday morning and I'm already over it; I'm not going to draft up some hypothetical operations budget for a hypothetical corner pretzel baker or questionably-legal cold call marketing center in the name of rigor on the internet

I don't work for people with awful 1980s MBAs, you should try to avoid it too imho :shrug:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 15, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

And most customers that purchase SaaS get licensing in years not in monthly payments.

And I don’t see how this is sufficient argument against cloud computing. Even back the ‘0& recession I’m sure plenty of colos didn’t unplug their customers servers.

Personally, I’d give them a credit but charge interest on top. Recessions don’t last forever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

They already need to be looking at free options.

Or this "business" is a figment of your motivated imagination

yeah it's a Sunday morning and I'm already over it; I'm not going to draft up some hypothetical operations budget for a hypothetical corner pretzel baker or questionably-legal cold call marketing center in the name of rigor on the internet

I don't work for people with awful 1980s MBAs, you should try to avoid it too imho :shrug:

:lol:

Thanks for making my Sunday Morning enjoyable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

orange sky posted:

Incredibly so. The naivety is laughable.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Just need that RS232 to Azure adapter and we'd be good to go!

New subject line imo

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

You have a pause in your task sequence somewhere. That is causing the shortcut to be created. The act of rebooting or running the shortcut resumes the task sequence.

Isn't that shortcut the mechanism by which the task sequence resumes after any planned reboot? I'm talking about a shortcut in Startup, not the "Resume Task Sequence" shortcut that gets put on the desktop if you have a pause step in the sequence.

In any case, the culprit appears to have been another item I was placing in the startup folder, a script which checked certain Explorer preferences and then restarted Explorer if any changes were made. Since it didn't restart Explorer on subsequent reboots, the task sequence was able to continue after that one reboot. That also explains why nothing about this was showing up in the MDT logs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Literally on my o365 deployment kickoff call and Microsoft decides to push exchange support to Oct 2020.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

incoherent posted:

Literally on my o365 deployment kickoff call and Microsoft decides to push exchange support to Oct 2020.

Waiting for this to happen with Windows Server 2008 R2 as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We taking bets on Windows 7 getting security updates as well?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I hope so. They did all that work to implement SHA 2 only updates for what, 4 months?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moey posted:

We taking bets on Windows 7 getting security updates as well?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-offer-paid-windows-7-extended-security-updates/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yeah, make the big companies pay, then release those updates for free to the masses.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We might have to chip in on that, we'll have easily 1000 Win7 machines on the network in January.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone upgrade an existing 2008 cert authority to sha256 before?

Just wondering if it's worth finding the offline backup and upgrading or if I should just spin up a 2019 cert in parallel and just move certificates off the old one as 2008 is EOL soon anyways.

We probably have less then 20 certs on the old one.

Any tips or gotchas would be appreciated.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've tried the Azure AD-only approach with a couple of companies and there isn't really a correct answer. One of them had an internal IT team that understood that they were moving towards a more MDM approach, one user per device, an experience built around self-service etc. and it went fine. The other company said they understood all of that but then wanted people to be able to log into different PCs depending where they sat that day and have printer defaults deployed and uniformly enforced for people, and Intune isn't a GPO replacement.

There's also pretty much always going to be something that wants to authenticate against a domain, and running domain controllers in Azure lets you do a lot more than using Azure AD DS - hopefully when Domain Services can go multi-region then that will go some way to leveling things up. I think we're overdue a managed RADIUS service that hangs off Azure AD as well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mllaneza posted:

We might have to chip in on that, we'll have easily 1000 Win7 machines on the network in January.

Should be able to get it for free if you just subscribe to M365 E5. And, If you're really clever and the numbers line up you could cancel the E5 (or go down to E3, or just plain o365) once you've migraded the W7 machines. o365 at least entitles you to a free copy of Win10 pro.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

O365 doesn't entitle you to windows anything.

M365 or Windows E3/E5

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
More MDT issues:

My deployment share includes drivers for a few recent models of iMac. To deploy to those machines, WinPE needs to include a storage driver for the SSD. The trouble is that when WinPE does include that driver, the Gen 1 Hyper-v VM I've been testing with tries to use it and bluescreens immediately. I tried including the driver Hyper-v normally uses in the WinPE image, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone seen something like this? Is there a way to force WinPE to use certain drivers on a given machine, or am I stuck with using a separate winPE image for VMs?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The answer is yes, you can filter drivers by almost any criteria you can think of, it just takes a bit to set up.

In addition, the PE properties have a place for drivers to use in PE mode only.

I can post more details when I get to work in a couple hours.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Fool posted:

The answer is yes, you can filter drivers by almost any criteria you can think of, it just takes a bit to set up.

In addition, the PE properties have a place for drivers to use in PE mode only.

I can post more details when I get to work in a couple hours.

Thanks. To be clear, the question isn't about how to limit which drivers get included in the WinPE image. I've got a separate folder for WinPE drivers, organized by make and model. I've only included drivers identified as necessary for WinPE by the manufacturers in those folders, and the selection profile pointing to those folders is set to inject only network and storage drivers into WinPE. The trouble I'm having is that if I include the storage drivers, WinPE bluescreens on my test VM. If I exclude them, I can deploy to the VM just fine, but then I can't deploy to Macs (different bluescreen from WinPE). A Dell laptop I'm also testing with works just fine either way.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

All of our client office 365 tenants have MFA enabled now, but that has made my life difficult when it comes to powershell.

If I want to connect to any service, I have to log in again. So, say I want to connect to Teams, MSOL, and Exchange. That means I enter the password 3x and respond to MFA prompt 3x.

From what I've seen the answer is no, but has anyone found a good way to work around this?

It wouldn't be so bad but since we're an MSP and many people need access to these accounts it works the following way:

Log into office 365 -> text message is sent to an external service -> service emails an O365 team -> code appears in designated MFA code channel.

It works great except for when it doesn't (which is often)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can you use conditional access to set your office as a trusted ip?

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 24, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

snackcakes posted:

Log into office 365 -> text message is sent to an external service -> service emails an O365 team -> code appears in designated MFA code channel.

why not just use TOTP?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Thanks. To be clear, the question isn't about how to limit which drivers get included in the WinPE image. I've got a separate folder for WinPE drivers, organized by make and model. I've only included drivers identified as necessary for WinPE by the manufacturers in those folders, and the selection profile pointing to those folders is set to inject only network and storage drivers into WinPE. The trouble I'm having is that if I include the storage drivers, WinPE bluescreens on my test VM. If I exclude them, I can deploy to the VM just fine, but then I can't deploy to Macs (different bluescreen from WinPE). A Dell laptop I'm also testing with works just fine either way.

If it's bluescreening during the PE stage and not after imaging/first restarts, you could try using a real computer or virtualbox instead of Hyper-V for your testing. Or you may just need to maintain two different PE images.

You already know how to limit the drivers used by the PE image, the other method to filter drivers only applies to drivers being injected to the wim during the imaging process.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

The Fool posted:

Can you use conditional access to set your office as a trusted ip?

I don't think this will work because of the licensing requirement? Can't tell my clients to pay extra money because it makes life easier for me

Jeoh posted:

why not just use TOTP?

I'm not sure how I'd make that work, care to elaborate? (I'm not being sassy, just stupid)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you using a shared admin account or your own account is delegated admin access to your client?

If the latter, you only need the additional license on your own account.

If the former, stop using shared accounts they're bad.

If neither, do the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

Are you using a shared admin account or your own account is delegated admin access to your client?

If the latter, you only need the additional license on your own account.

If the former, stop using shared accounts they're bad.

If neither, do the latter.

...the former. I don't think I can convince my company to make individual admin accounts for every technical member of my company for each of our many clients

We are delegated admin as well with our own accounts but there's only so much you can do with that