Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

vorebane posted:

neither of you are allowed to engage in chemical combat on the forums.

actually chemical combat is halal, when it's aliens. Erisian has a bunch of incendiary missiles on order already. Goons also regularly gas themselves.

One time I was mixing lye and silica and I forgot that you can't do it like baking bread, you should add the lye to water first. Instead I mixed all the dry ingredients and then dumped water on it, splatting viscious molten corrosive bullshit all over the place.

in order to update I need to have like one or two hours of electricity, not an active murder happening, no dangerous levels of elevated UV radiation, incoherent screaming is reduced, no sounds of what is apparently a mechanized battalion that needs to drive down my road all day every day. So it's tough to juggle this window of opportunity with the other stuff I need to do. It's kind of a pain to keep track of all the goons and make sure they're hired and everyone's getting screen time but :shrug:

I'm gonna try and get one mission in right now but i'm pretty sure the hell dimension is going to kick in soon.

staberind posted:

Wait, was I on one of they flying trucks that got blatted?

no, you're currently welding spaceships together

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Did I miss some thread deaths :stare:

not recently I don't think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

One time I was mixing lye and silica and I forgot that you can't do it like baking bread, you should add the lye to water first. Instead I mixed all the dry ingredients and then dumped water on it, splatting viscious molten corrosive bullshit all over the place.

poo poo that brings back an old saying I was taught in HS 'do what you oughta, add acid to watta' which is like actually really good wisdom. If you do it the other way around, well, you might explode or have your face melted. It's a dilution/reaction speed deal, and kinda how I hosed up.

Anyway eyes work and want to see us triumph over the alien scum.

EDIT: oh yeah I did also get a mild nasty burn from a fragment on a fingat too but it'll just start to juice out and heal, it's fine. https://imgur.com/a/IMOhLtr

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 11, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i have hit a snag but p soon will launch the mission and try to stream it in discord, but uh, I can't really tell what's happening at all like if people can hear the explosions or what. I need to get caught up with the inevitable gbs 911 thread so by the time that's done I should be open to :blastu:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Glad to see that I'm still alive. I like my journey from fraudulent, reckless, and absolutely unethical biologist to extremely drugged out deadshot sniper.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

actually chemical combat is halal, when it's aliens. Erisian has a bunch of incendiary missiles on order already. Goons also regularly gas themselves.

in order to update I need to have like one or two hours of electricity, not an active murder happening, no dangerous levels of elevated UV radiation, incoherent screaming is reduced, no sounds of what is apparently a mechanized battalion that needs to drive down my road all day every day. So it's tough to juggle this window of opportunity with the other stuff I need to do. It's kind of a pain to keep track of all the goons and make sure they're hired and everyone's getting screen time but :shrug:

I'm gonna try and get one mission in right now but i'm pretty sure the hell dimension is going to kick in soon.

no, you're currently welding spaceships together

not recently I don't think

The stories you tell about your living conditions are fascinating

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently someone was strangling a dog to death earlier. I think it was a dog? Sounded super hosed up and would probably be a mistake to try and get involved. Couple weeks ago someone got their brainstem shot out over some stupid poo poo.

I'm not actually sure what that sound was, sounded almost like extended burnouts on pavement but kind of like animal sounds or maybe a real big bird? Belts on some motor with insanely hosed up lubrication? Deff had an animal cast to it, hopefully a dog heard the sound and started crying about it instead of some psycho poo poo.

Waiting for the window to xcom to open up. Probably I will try to stream it this time but it will be very boring and slow, also I have no mic and don't really understand discord at all.

If I have to try and update with pounding noise from assholes I will lose my mind so I'm trying to angle for a quiet zone.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Coyotes sound suuuuuper hosed up sometimes if you're not used them

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

True story a good friend grew up next to a canal, near a reservoir, and we'd go out there and smoke and bullshit. fox's loving sound like what I would imagine a human baby being stabbed sounds like.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
one time I was out smokin behind work in winter and I heard a bunch of feet stomping. A coyote was chasing a rabbit who escaped into the lumberyard next door. We stood looking at each other for a while and it loped off.

launching strike teams

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

I picture Sniper as living in a ramshackle wizard's tower in the middle of a post-apocalyptic hellscape, surrounded by burnt out wrecks of cars and weird gangs of deviants and mutants.

gl strike teams!

and yeah EA - got lots of red foxes around here and they definitely make some pretty hosed up noises even more so than the koalas. I imagine much the same with coyotes but larger so probably louder or something.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Unfortunately I don't have the land needed to build a serious wizard tower and will have to settle for haunted ruin for now.

gently caress I forgot there's a crosslink between Honkey and someone else. It's glitched to show random people depending on who the last agent I looked at last was, this may become a clusterfuck.

Honkey has become far more powerful than that first mission where he went to the mall and was so feeble he could only throw a smoke grenade two feet in front of him. It's gonna be a shame if I have to retire him, he's an insanely good shot and a great agent now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtTi_uyYynA
https://i.imgur.com/UMzaomY.gifv

We get to the car factory and Huk instantly spots yellows. I send rabbi to scope their brains, no good so it's time for the chems:
https://i.imgur.com/vDLNyE4.gifv

Get our guys into positions and we'll see how the aliens respond
https://i.imgur.com/ekSJVKK.gifv
Lucky. These crop of rookies are shaping up to be tough as nails, so far. In the meantime we move our other guys to flank and Kingslayer activates the motion sensor. Only picks up on civvies.

At this point I realize I have two serious problems. Out of beer, and seemingly running out of memory or something, comp is super sluggish.

Anyway the aliens run and try to regroup flanking squad deploys gas:
https://i.imgur.com/2gKfKGd.gifv
kingslayer and huk have been acing their grenade throws. This is the power of perfect machines.

I hosed up the recording the clip but they don't do poo poo and expose themslevs p bad, so we roll them:
https://i.imgur.com/4JMJpjU.gifv

Excellent work, noobs. The gas really carried us with those guys who had launchers, and we were able to successfully blow up any dangerous brainsuckers and keep the nerds safe. A few fuckups such as not being able to see over a parked car and not being able to shoot without directly blowing our own guys up, but no casualties. We barely blew up the factory even! I'm calling it a win.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Excellent work team! The space drugs are on me!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Alright Rookies, here's how it works; If anyone asks, the three... four cars missing from the factory were taken because they were infected with "Alien Parasites". Honk gets one because he's loving terrifying and we had to lock him in the back seat of it anyway, and the rest of you draw straws for the other three because chances are whoever wins will get brainsucked within a day anyway.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

drat right I get promoted. Pin them stripes straight on my bare chest.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Did the game break? I didn't think more than one agent could get promoted to squad leader in one go.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No, promotions are based on a pyramid system where if you have too few agents and nerds then promotions will stall out. In apoc Xcom is the opposite of orgs where everyone is C level and there's three dudes in the office.

There was a sudden influx of goons so people who were previously lined up for promotion achieved them on this last mission. You gotta have a squad to be a squad leader.

Squaddie is different and you can get promoted out of rookie for just murdering xenos

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
gently caress yeah Squad Leader hoo rah

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well on your way to colonel. I would say the xcom system is designed to serve the needs of the organization. It's set up to produce a force of fighters to kill an existential threat.

Higher ranks are supported by lower; higher in return protects the lower with better personal stats and more importantly morale: having a high rank surviving bolsters the noobs even if a rookie dies. Having a high rank on your side means in some cases you can have your guts forcibly vaporized and yet you still press on because they are there to crush the enemy and get you to evac.

There is no meritocracy in the sense that it is not a goal to produce a career path for those who play along. You only get promoted if there are people who need you. Your own personal accomplishments are good, and factor in to your promotion, but it's more that you hear the call and rank up than it is you have "earned" it.

I would say this excerpt it's a set of number comparisons in an msdos game lol

Anyway the support side of our game right now is kind of a clusterfuck and most likely I will cheat the completion of living quarters to get the other goons recruited and housed.

Also we are approaching a point where we have so many guys it's not really efficient to select the weakest ones for missions so they get stronger, probably we're going to have to switch it so that there's a good mix of heroes and rookies at each base and a base will launch it's guys if it's closer to an alien intrusion.

Dimension missions of course will be hand selected from volunteers. We're close to the next mission but I don't remember what the goal will be. Regardless we have at least one more city mission to deal with first.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Dimension missions of course will be hand selected from volunteers. We're close to the next mission but I don't remember what the goal will be. Regardless we have at least one more city mission to deal with first.

You know I'm in, commander.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well we're in the 90s as far as next alien mission, and I'm shitfaced because looking at the democratic debates sober is essentially a death sentence, so lemme smoke some cigs and consider resolving the next mission.

After this mission we will be able to launch against the aliens with no real assurance of safety like last time, or we can investigate the city while building up screening. Better than literally nothing but agent transports.

Remember it was basically a miracle we escaped from that last mission without casualties. I don't know that we will ever pull that off again.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remembered I'm dead but also was a robot so please put my cyberbrain into a spaceship or whatever so that even in death, my machine ghost can serve

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I had considered setting up a cyberbrain training regime where dead goons could fight living ones in a simulated environment, but I ended up deciding against it because it's sort of a side thread thing, better off as some kind of prologue or epilogue or a new thread or something. Also I'm ten thousand years behind schedule on real updates, we should be done with the game at this point it's loving insane.

still, the old Slurpy test runs prove that it's possible to manage Xcom/Allied/Civilian/Enemy scenarios to get the result you want, especially if it's insane goon carnage and not something actually useful

That's Ol' Slurps running around on its own while one of our guys tries to catch up. It passed a civvie and then 2 seconds later our handler ran into an enemy. This test map includes actual aliens instead of enemy humans. I am like 50/50 if slurps would brainsuck an enemy human or ignore them -- it's kind of a huge pain in the rear end to set up scenarios where you have enemy humans and alien allies. It's much easier to just make a situation and then modify it to suit you instead of building up a scenario from complete scratch.

Basically I feel like it's entirely possible to set up 99% AI matches where you can pit any arbitrary guys against any other and record the results for laughs or to add stats to the winners. I would watch the match and cap it for the thread but I think I need at least one agent under my personal control in order to keep the game from flipping out completely. I could maybe just add in a fake life form or generic guardian with max stats to make sure the match continues to actual completion instead of a glitchout.

I'm pretty sure it could be possible to make a thread that's sort of like the goon hunger games thread, except the guys have to literally fight to the death for our enjoyment onscreen.

I went ahead and "ran" the "simulation" to "completion" for kicks and you can see how it ended up:

Our handler got brainsucked because I wasn't seriously trying to save him, and then when there was nobody left he fled the combat zone to infiltrate some other building. This is probably because Slurpy was allied instead of actually under my control.

We "won" but everyone in this situation died. Slurpy was able to recover the alien loot and dead bodies, but because of the game situation did not continue to exist past the combat zone.

I think there may be a way to force artificially induced agents like Slurpy to persist but maybe not and honestly it's a big pain in the rear end to figure out for real. Prob would be easier in Open Apoc, but as I said months ago i'm an idiot and cant figure out how to make it compile whithout crashing constantly.

Even then I feel like making Slurpy be a real dude who is real is something I can't figure out and may be something the game simply can't accommodate without me keeping an insane amount of data outside the save and then manually trying to force it into certain circumstances like a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Wait hold on, so Slurpy hauled a bunch of loot and bodies back to base? Good slurpy. That must have been tiring. Extra brain-kibble for you.

Also yeah I stayed in the office and shitposted instead of watching the debates with my partner. I'm trying to stay sober these days.

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 13, 2019

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Slurpy has seen some poo poo.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Woo promotion via murder

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

HukHukHuk posted:

Woo promotion via murder

Reach Heaven through Violence.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
Next time we head to Alien Land, I will tag along to die for the motherworld

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I had considered setting up a cyberbrain training regime where dead goons could fight living ones in a simulated environment, but I ended up deciding against it because it's sort of a side thread thing, better off as some kind of prologue or epilogue or a new thread or something. Also I'm ten thousand years behind schedule on real updates, we should be done with the game at this point it's loving insane.

still, the old Slurpy test runs prove that it's possible to manage Xcom/Allied/Civilian/Enemy scenarios to get the result you want, especially if it's insane goon carnage and not something actually useful

That's Ol' Slurps running around on its own while one of our guys tries to catch up. It passed a civvie and then 2 seconds later our handler ran into an enemy. This test map includes actual aliens instead of enemy humans. I am like 50/50 if slurps would brainsuck an enemy human or ignore them -- it's kind of a huge pain in the rear end to set up scenarios where you have enemy humans and alien allies. It's much easier to just make a situation and then modify it to suit you instead of building up a scenario from complete scratch.

Basically I feel like it's entirely possible to set up 99% AI matches where you can pit any arbitrary guys against any other and record the results for laughs or to add stats to the winners. I would watch the match and cap it for the thread but I think I need at least one agent under my personal control in order to keep the game from flipping out completely. I could maybe just add in a fake life form or generic guardian with max stats to make sure the match continues to actual completion instead of a glitchout.

I'm pretty sure it could be possible to make a thread that's sort of like the goon hunger games thread, except the guys have to literally fight to the death for our enjoyment onscreen.

I went ahead and "ran" the "simulation" to "completion" for kicks and you can see how it ended up:

Our handler got brainsucked because I wasn't seriously trying to save him, and then when there was nobody left he fled the combat zone to infiltrate some other building. This is probably because Slurpy was allied instead of actually under my control.

We "won" but everyone in this situation died. Slurpy was able to recover the alien loot and dead bodies, but because of the game situation did not continue to exist past the combat zone.

I think there may be a way to force artificially induced agents like Slurpy to persist but maybe not and honestly it's a big pain in the rear end to figure out for real. Prob would be easier in Open Apoc, but as I said months ago i'm an idiot and cant figure out how to make it compile whithout crashing constantly.

Even then I feel like making Slurpy be a real dude who is real is something I can't figure out and may be something the game simply can't accommodate without me keeping an insane amount of data outside the save and then manually trying to force it into certain circumstances like a dumb rear end in a top hat.

am i still alive

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

Reach Heaven through Violence.

Dead man's boots. They might fit. And fit your replacement better.

How the piss have I not been killed yet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Cockler posted:

am i still alive

Yeah, did good on that dimension mission. Only really roll you out when poo poo gets crazy

Speaking of dimension missions, we're getting close to the next one, but it's a little ways off.

Erisian Automata posted:

Dead man's boots. They might fit. And fit your replacement better.

How the piss have I not been killed yet.

Dunno but I decided were going to be using a lot more firepower, especially on alien missions. If we can score a UFO it'll be a little more restrained, but unless there's a new kind of alien or visibly exotic tech there's really no need to hold back.

Planning on just sending the same squad out for our next city inspection. If that's a success we should be able to jump straight to another assault, get this thing rolling. Gotta do some other bullshit but will be working on xcom today

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
holy poo poo I almost hosed up and lost the save but I still have it.

our guys got home and we got some loot. not really a huge amount. We've recovered no new technology.

there's some sort of glitch that keeps unsinging biologists. Every time I go to double check progress someone else is on smoko. At first I thought that just arbitrarily modding the saves and game files over and over could have been the cause, but then I reconsidered because obviously that could have nothing to do with it.

Necros arrived for duty but I forgot to buy equipment so we're going to just send out the previous crew to warehouse 5. This time I remember to go over their stuff and make sure they have ammo etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51tMCy8vhSM

TK-42-1 makes contact and is not loving around:
https://i.imgur.com/KPovxxL.gifv

The rest of the squad comes down, then we got s2 come down the other lift. The Trend gets their first kill:
https://i.imgur.com/PxtrXQs.gifv

We crush their feeble counter attack and press on:
https://i.imgur.com/fQh4aaQ.gifv
Trend gets more baby kills, Rabbi, Draad, Ned, & Ramen roll over the remainders. TK ditches the firebomb to snag heavy alien weapons. The basement and this whole side of the building is clear.

The remaining aliens are losing their goddamn minds and we execute them with impunity.
https://i.imgur.com/L6LNLDR.gifv

Mega success this time. We loving eviscerated them. It may well be that the goons are Getting Good™. There actually may be more promotions than can fit on the screen, I don't know for sure and haven't kept track of it outside the game.

:siren: Need volunteers for possible suicide mission to kill the plants. :siren:
Also if you have any strats on how we can safely drop and extract our crack team of crack heads go ahead and post it, otherwise they'll just try and fuckin run and hope not to get shot down.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sounds like you should send the biologists on the mission!

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Signing up for Alien Dimension Death March

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
As a newly-minted Squad Leader, I proudly volunteer someone from the latest batch of rookies to go in my place.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
If I still exist you can send me to an unspeakable death (maybe tripping on my way to the launch pad and suffering a brain bleed that leaves me in a peaceful looking coma while endless nightmares scroll through my trapped, disconnected mind.)

Otherwise, feel free to delete me (as the original problem-causing biologist.)

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I hope that the agents that go on this mission can at least destroy the food chamber before dying as the bio-transport is blown to hell by alien ships as it tries to escape back to our dimension.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I perma-volunteer to die in the creepy gross alien dimension.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

++ KILL MAIM BURN ++

A Salty Affair
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if you can send me on the suicide mission as a Biologist but if you can, please do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
Did I miss the results of my brain roidening?