Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Low effort post, apologies. September 24th, 2019 was the day that Noita was released as a playable Early Access game. And version 1.0 released on October 15th, 2020.

For those who have never heard of it: "Noita is a magical action roguelite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've created yourself."

"Your own magic: Create new spells as you delve deeper into the caverns. Use your magic to crush your enemies and manipulate the world around you."

Made by Nolla Games, which includes the goon Hempuli (maker of Baba Is You), as well as Olli Harjola (maker of Swapper) and Petri Purho (maker of Crayon Physics).

Streamers I have watched play the preview build have all agreed: The game is awesome.
Between Noita and Disco Elysium which released October 15th, 2019, (thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899418 ) this will be a great time to play indie games.

For videos of the gameplay and physics madness, see the store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

Official website:
https://noitagame.com/

IronicDongz posted:

fun thing about noita:
berserk potions double damage
bomb radius is affected by damage

ergo,
https://i.imgur.com/D3ocyK5.mp4

Tenebrais posted:

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

Awards:
Finalist - Seumas McNally Grand Prize - Independent Games Festival 2019

Finalist - Excellence in Design - Independent Games Festival 2019

Finalist - Nuovo Award - Independent Games Festival 2019

The Audience Choice Award - Fantastic Arcade 2018

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How Roguelite is the rogueliteness of this? Is there like a persistent town/base or is it more like you can eventually unlock stuff by clearing or whatever?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I hope that Hempuli will show up sometime to answer questions that I don't know the answers to yet.

From the noitagame website:

"Action roguelite: Death is permanent and always a looming threat. When you die, don’t despair, use what you’ve learned to get further on your next adventure."

" Procedurally generated world: Explore a unique world every time you play. Discover new environments as you adventure deeper."

I know there are Temples that act like shops between environment levels. In the temples you can craft spell combos into your wands and buy new goodies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Wait holy poo poo Noita's got a goon on the team and the Baba is You goon? I was already stoked for it but I didn't know that.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
wow, this really reminds me of those ancient falling sands games where you could spawn different kinds of materials and just watch everything react. it's wild and really exciting to see that kinda tech in an actual video game

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The physics system they have built seems like a perfect fit for the spelunky style gameplay. It has been a lot of fun watching streamers accidentally start chain reactions with fire/oil/acid and die.

Ive been following this game for years now, can't wait to play it!

A Sometimes Food posted:

How Roguelite is the rogueliteness of this? Is there like a persistent town/base or is it more like you can eventually unlock stuff by clearing or whatever?

From what I've seen, very little. I think the devs at some point said there were some things that would carry over but it pretty much looks like you start fresh every run

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Having this on my wishlist for a while now. Can't wait for it to unlock.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Noita is now released upon the world. Go get it and bring back reports of your shenanigans.

It shows up as 16,99€ for me on Steam. A bargain for such a game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is an awesome looking game and I can't wait for it to come out of Early Access :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This looks fantastic but how early access are we talking? I really dislike that tag

Oh and on Reddit one of the devs said it’s actually probably impossible to get it to run on the Switch

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
From their Steam page:

Why Early Access?
“TLDR: Right now Noita is already really fun to play and has dozens of hours of content. Early Access allows us to get important feedback to make the game even better.

Noita is a physics-based rogue-lite, and rogue-lite games generally benefit from additional content updates. The game is also being made with a custom engine (Falling Everything Engine), and even though the game is fairly stable we haven't been able to test every permutation due to the highly emergent nature of the game. For the same reason we're really excited to see how the players will exploit the game systems.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We're currently estimating that the game would be in Early Access for about a year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version will be more polished and have more content. Essentially the full version will be a more refined version; there shouldn't be any drastic changes or fundamental differences. For example, the full version might have a larger variety of enemies/items/areas.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The game is playable and is polished to a nearly-finished state up to a certain point in the game's progression. Past that point game elements are a bit less polished. A functional final boss and ending exists, but they lack polish and testing.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Our plan is to release the Early Access version with a lower price, and we'll probably raise the price as we approach the full release.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We're looking for feedback from players so that we can fix bugs, design issues and so on. We're interested in seeing how the gameplay experience changes as players get better at the game, and adjust the game to our best capability so that the experience stays interesting for both new and more experienced players.”

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm really enjoying what's there and happy to support developers via Early Access, but just as an example of some rough edges: When you die and restart the run, the entire game restarts. Steam notifications and all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

A Sometimes Food posted:

There's no immediately apparent unlocks or meta progression . There's a log that tracks the different spell effects and perks you've discovered but that's it as far as I can tell

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as far as areas and whatever go how does it seem to compare to the streamer build that was out over the past week? i know that was cut back so as to not show everything.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm liking ths violent suicide simulator

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I'm liking ths violent suicide simulator

love to attach fire trails to everything then wonder why im on fire and dying

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Johnny Joestar posted:

as far as areas and whatever go how does it seem to compare to the streamer build that was out over the past week? i know that was cut back so as to not show everything.

Don't quote me on this but I heard that the stream build was 4 environments, the early access build should be 20? Possibly not all content is polished in later levels? I could be wrong, I am reporting hearsay.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Got Fire immunity perk, exploded myself with my hubris. Goty

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SlightlyMad posted:

Don't quote me on this but I heard that the stream build was 4 environments, the early access build should be 20? Possibly not all content is polished in later levels? I could be wrong, I am reporting hearsay.

hell, 15-20 would be amazing, so i'm excited

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SlightlyMad posted:

That's a lot of levels! If I'm cautious I can consistently make it to the ice caves in level 3 but between the having to watch out for damage from freezing vapor & how devastating the electricity demons are I usually eat it almost immediately. Also I just had a really fun run -- I picked up a "high recoil" spell modifier and wondered when the hell you'd ever use it, but then the next perk I got was Low Gravity -- combining the two let me fly all over the map REALLY fast and it felt great

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pro-tip: hold crouch while standing in liquid to drink it. I just drank "Worm Blood" and now my screen is warping and pulsing different colors

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I turned into a drunk gun and then I angered the gods and I think Death killed me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This game's like way the gently caress too hard.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Mouse+keyboard or controller?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Papa horny for video game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oldstench posted:

M+KB for sure

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I couldn't imagine playing without the precision aiming of a mouse, but just in case it does look like it supports gamepads.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah there's a lot of scenarios where more precise aiming would be preferable

i'm sure it works just fine with a controller but you're going to be playing at a disadvantage inherently

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

M+KB for sure

I tried controller at first, and aiming/shooting accurately sucked rear end. I'm doing way better with M+KB.
YMMV if you're much more used to using a controller than I am; I'm pretty PC centric...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah Noita is insanely good. I've been playing the preview build for a few weeks now and while I waited for my preview to go up, I put together a small video of some of my favourite dumb poo poo in the game, including a chainsaw wand.

Obviously don't watch if you want to go in 100% pure but if you want to check out the game before buying (and you absolutely should buy it), here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB4atMvtRHQ

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yo, you can go past the mountain. There's an entire biome thataway. Be ready for some hard fuckery.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grate deceiver posted:

Yo, you can go past the mountain. There's an entire biome thataway. Be ready for some hard fuckery.

wait, how

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think I got lucky and had a natural tunnel spawn close to the surface, but you could probably tunnel through with explosions or the big orb spell that disintegrates dirt.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah I also found a way into a (different, I think?) ice biome by crossing the really big lake of lava in the east of the mines. Seems like there's more options than straight down 👀

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty cool so far, but difficult. It seems like everytime I die my stats are all new records even though I've been deeper or had more gold or whatever, not sure what's up with that.

I've found a few cool things, including an egg outside on a high tree branch that hatched a small worm the first time I got it and a bigger worm when I did it again next game and a scroll with some words about self sacrifice being pleasing to the gods or something like that. I couldn't figure out anything to do with it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Now that I think of it, there's at least two biomes past the mountain, because I passed one on the way to the fuckery place, and there was probably stuff there too if I went underground.

So yeah, there's deffo a lot of stuff to explore sideways on every level.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Be sure to eat the corpses of your enemies and drink their blood

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
is anyone else having the game tell you its a new record for everything every time you die?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Positive feedback is my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

violent sex idiot posted:

is anyone else having the game tell you its a new record for everything every time you die?

I think it's the same bug as restarts the game every new run. Seems to clear all progression, at least for me. Every run is the first one.