Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oxxidation posted:

the Hiss is 100% a separate entity from the Board, there's more than one inter-dimensional god-entity knocking about up there in ether-space and the Board may not even be one of the bigger ones

speaking of which, regarding FORMER, the way the Board alternatively refers to it as "dissent" and "rebel" said to me that it's a literally a FORMER Board member that decided to take its shoggoth act solo, which would explain why the Board is so amusingly frazzled at the mere idea of Jesse choosing to side with it

I was looking around last night after I beat FORMER and noticed theres a projector in research somewhere that clearly shows FORMER on a little loop. if you hadn't seen him before it wouldnt really look like anything

And theres a recording of Darling on a blank monitor talking about what hes about to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I love how many characters you can ask about the difference between Altered Items and Objects of Power, and absolutely noone can give a concise explanation

And every single time, Jesse replies with a variant of "Uh-huh"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TK-42-1 posted:

I was looking around last night after I beat FORMER and noticed theres a projector in research somewhere that clearly shows FORMER on a little loop. if you hadn't seen him before it wouldnt really look like anything

And theres a recording of Darling on a blank monitor talking about what hes about to do

The FORMER loop is probably from one of the lost astralnauts.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I seem to remember that you describe it to Emily and she's like "yeah that sounds like something that's been reported before." I really appreciate Emily's enthusiasm and curiosity about all the wild poo poo in the FBC.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Former is darling.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Control is the first game in long time I've started a replay in under a year after playing.

It's kinda fun being back to just the service weapon, then just that and Throw, and being able to revisit all the story bits.

Tommasi v1 took a pile of tries in my original game and he went down pretty quickly in this new one.

As a bonus, I upgraded my gaming machine, so it's running at 2560x1440 at 70+fps all the stops out and looks amazing. It was even more amazing with raytracing but only 30-40fps with everything dialed up and kinda stuttery, so back to DX11 for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well despite having wasted a lot of time in the post game I went back to the chapter before ashtray maze (this replaces your saved game) to level up and maybe this way I can get my next chapter save maxed out so I can play ashtray over and over with the big guns (kisses biceps)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I went back to the chapter before ashtray maze (this replaces your saved game)
I hate this so much!! I really want to replay the opening few hours but I'm not gonna obliterate my progress to do that

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

acksplode posted:

I hate this so much!! I really want to replay the opening few hours but I'm not gonna obliterate my progress to do that

I backed up my save files before my restart, so if I fail to get back to similar post-game state by the time the DLC arrives, I can (hopefully) just restore it...

The fact that they don't let you traverse the ashtray maze multiple times in one game is just mean though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Convinced a fellow goon from the cooking subforum to buy control by talking about its sources of influence, he’s halfway through and loving it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Will you eventually get a power to open those doors that look like blast doors with glue or something around the edges? I'm exploring fairly late in the game and seeing a ton of them and wondering if I should wait until I can open those or if you ever can open them at all.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

el oso posted:

Will you eventually get a power to open those doors that look like blast doors with glue or something around the edges? I'm exploring fairly late in the game and seeing a ton of them and wondering if I should wait until I can open those or if you ever can open them at all.

Those doors are not something you will be able to open, at least as the game exists today.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

acksplode posted:

This is super weird because if you go into the game files on PC, you'll see a whole bunch of save folders numbered 0-10. Yet as far as I can tell it's only folder 0 that writes any new save data. So Control clearly has the ability to reserve multiple save slots but it just... doesn't for whatever reason.

Another funny thing is that it apparently writes new save data only when you visit a floor. So if you wanted to do Ashtray Maze again I guess you could theoretically rip a Research save file from an earlier point and then just drop it in. Haven't tried to do that yet, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So my current plan on PS4 is to load up the Finnish Tango chapter, max out my upgrades, then progress the main story into the Polaris chapter so that it's checkpointed with me maxxed out so that I can reload the Polaris chapter over and over and always be buffed going into Ashtray

I think I might be missing out on a couple things like two final gun upgrades, but as long as Spin and Pierce are maxxed out and I got 9/10 of the ability upgrades, I'm golden! In fact having maxxed out post-game it turns out that you end up with 4 extra ability points than you can possibly use so there's some wiggle room there

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 25, 2019

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Finished this yesterday, what a great ride. Looking forward to the DLC. Some questions.

Trench: he had been infected by the Hiss years before the events in the game, right? Is the implication that this is what killed his daughter and started his suicidal spiral? There's a memo about the Rubber Duck that talks about what a serious offense taking home an AI is, and it's hard to believe Trench would do that unless he meant the Hiss.

Polaris: what is Polaris? What is a hedron? What was that big orb thing at the end of the game and what is it's connection to Polaris and hedrons?

Darling: Where does he go? What was his plan at the end as he starts suffering a breakdown?

Also, as a Boston resident I wish our brutalist government office buildings were as cool as the Oldest House. Absolutely gorgeous world and environment building.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

Don’t remember that but definitely noticed a little projector loop of Hedron somewhere, which made me realize that the white ball/spherical “shell” was actually Hedron and not part of Darling’s cage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Bramble posted:

Finished this yesterday, what a great ride. Looking forward to the DLC. Some questions.

Trench: he had been infected by the Hiss years before the events in the game, right? Is the implication that this is what killed his daughter and started his suicidal spiral? There's a memo about the Rubber Duck that talks about what a serious offense taking home an AI is, and it's hard to believe Trench would do that unless he meant the Hiss.

Yes. Trench was compromised during an initial expedition into a dimension accessed through the slide projector, which would have been shortly after the FBC intervened after the Ordinary AWE when Jesse was a child. After that, all the gathered evidence is mothballed and many years pass, during which he is never discovered so he probably didn't do anything too weird or decay too far. He finally loses it and starts the invasion/kills himself shortly before the game begins.

quote:

Polaris: what is Polaris? What is a hedron? What was that big orb thing at the end of the game and what is it's connection to Polaris and hedrons?

Hedron is a resonance-based entity like the Hiss, except one that appears to be helping humanity (for now). Polaris is the separate entity Hedron "infected" Jesse with during the AWE, which manifests as a voice in her head and is the perspective from which the player experiences the game. The giant orb was Hedron's body or closest equivalent in our reality.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

exquisite tea posted:

This is super weird because if you go into the game files on PC, you'll see a whole bunch of save folders numbered 0-10. Yet as far as I can tell it's only folder 0 that writes any new save data. So Control clearly has the ability to reserve multiple save slots but it just... doesn't for whatever reason.

Another funny thing is that it apparently writes new save data only when you visit a floor. So if you wanted to do Ashtray Maze again I guess you could theoretically rip a Research save file from an earlier point and then just drop it in. Haven't tried to do that yet, though.

It's even funnier that it all goes in as "default epic games user"

This actually breaks the egs cloud save a little. I had built a new computer for my friend, him receiving this as a pack-in with his gpu. I had wanted to see how far his computer could push Tetris effect so I logged into my account on it at one point. A couple weeks later I built my own new computer and on installing control and clicking "new game" I was in the middle of parapsychology being told to find black rock processing.

E. Been having fun thinking of other games as AWEs. Like the strawberries from celeste? A single self replicating OoP

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2019

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

Hedron stuff

ok, so Polaris is like an agent of Hedron, a kind of subordinate entity to it? Was there any lasting consequence to the orb collapsing from the Hiss attack? Apparently Polaris is fine, since Jesse remains uninfected by the Hiss and can still cleanse her brother after that sequence. So what did the orb collapsing really signify?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think the Hedron and Polaris are the same presence and that Darling was mistaken when he assumed Hedron was THE entity, rather than another worldly manifestation of it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Bramble posted:

ok, so Polaris is like an agent of Hedron, a kind of subordinate entity to it? Was there any lasting consequence to the orb collapsing from the Hiss attack? Apparently Polaris is fine, since Jesse remains uninfected by the Hiss and can still cleanse her brother after that sequence. So what did the orb collapsing really signify?

its hard to say exactly if Polaris is an agent or just sort of seed or catalyst causing Jesse to evolve. Its been with her since the Ordinary AWE, but lay dormant until she got a call to go to the Oldest House just before the game started, so possibly because Hedron realized what was going on? it's not entirely clear.

Not much lasting consequence yet. the HRVs shut off and the rest of the FBC were being infected by Hiss, but when Jesse harnessed Polaris's power in the motel, she became the new power source for the HRVs.

Also there is something to be said that the motel that Jesse opened one of the unknown doors to the FBC to get her power, which may mean that she had reached a level of power never seen before. (Given that typcially the only symbol marked door the FBC agents are allowed through is the inverted pyramid door, which represents the Board/FBC.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really like the idea that Polaris is the video game player controlling the character.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure its completely like that, as it was in XCOM The Bureau (spoilers for context). Polaris does certainly seem to be an influence, a voice in your head that you can't turn off or ignore will do that, but not a puppeteer.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
it's left unclear on purpose i think.

darling says Hedron isn't an entity but a catalyst. jessie finds something as a kid that she interprets as a presence in her head but it's not clear if it's actually an entity or was always there. she says as much in the ending.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I got the impression that Polaris is, like Hiss, a virus-like entity and it replicates by inhabiting its hosts. The Hedron was a host, either a native of that weird-rear end dimension or perhaps some artificial beacon built by powers unknown to host an instance of Polaris that held the Hiss back. (Incidentally, what happened to that dimension with Hedron gone, if it had anyone else left in it? Whoops!) So when the Hedron is destroyed, Polaris is still alive the same way the Hiss is alive as long as it has hosts running around, even though its individual instances are destroyed with the hosts.

Also, Northmoor is not wearing an HRA, right? He might be Hiss now, heh. Makes cleanup a leeeeettle more complicated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Bramble posted:

Other way around. Polaris is some ambiguous god-like force for good in the multiverse, Hedron is both a specific entity (the big sphere thing) and a conduit for Polaris to access our reality. After Hedron dies Jesse basically takes over as the new conduit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Trenchdidn't kill his daughter with the Hiss, that was another seperate fuckup. If that was the His, then the entirety of Earth would be hosed.

One thing I wonder. Did Trench get infected with the Hiss or was he affected by something different that made him unleash the Hiss? He was infected from the Hand slide, but the one he summoned the Hiss with was the burned slide. Also, the fact that the visual effect for the Hiss looks like a burned photograph kind of implies that they're either twisted by being summoned through a burned slide or that the slide being burned changed the destination to wherever the Hiss came from.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Megazver posted:

I got the impression that Polaris is, like Hiss, a virus-like entity and it replicates by inhabiting its hosts. The Hedron was a host, either a native of that weird-rear end dimension or perhaps some artificial beacon built by powers unknown to host an instance of Polaris that held the Hiss back. (Incidentally, what happened to that dimension with Hedron gone, if it had anyone else left in it? Whoops!) So when the Hedron is destroyed, Polaris is still alive the same way the Hiss is alive as long as it has hosts running around, even though its individual instances are destroyed with the hosts.

Also, Northmoor is not wearing an HRA, right? He might be Hiss now, heh. Makes cleanup a leeeeettle more complicated.

Northmoor, prior to Hiss invasion: *screaming forever*

Northmoor, during invasion: *screaming forever*

Langston: Well if it ain't broke.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not sure what the Hiss would accomplish by possessing someone already strapped into a device designed to contain their paranatural abilities

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Northmoor is presumably protected from the Hiss signal by the two feet of lead containing his radioactive body.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

haveblue posted:

Not sure what the Hiss would accomplish by possessing someone already strapped into a device designed to contain their paranatural abilities

It's containing him being a Human Torch and being weaksauce (by Jesse's standards) at TK. It's probably not designed to contain Hiss, because only the HRAs contain Hiss - none of the fancy safe areas with the latest pre-HRA Agency tech were able to protect the people within. And if that's a case, he's a Hiss vector and no one can take off HRAs and end the lockdown as long as he's around.

But I suspect the writers will just not mention it ever.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Does the game ever get into specifics as to what happened to cause Northmoor to change into a human nuclear pile? For that matter, is it ever clear on whether or not he's just a glowing corpse bouncing around in there, versus a zombified, brain-dead creature, versus a still-conscious, eternally-suffering person? I don't recall seeing any specifics, but I don't know if that's because it's a mystery left to the player or because I just missed something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Does the game ever get into specifics as to what happened to cause Northmoor to change into a human nuclear pile? For that matter, is it ever clear on whether or not he's just a glowing corpse bouncing around in there, versus a zombified, brain-dead creature, versus a still-conscious, eternally-suffering person? I don't recall seeing any specifics, but I don't know if that's because it's a mystery left to the player or because I just missed something.

Well, Trench says that Northmoor went along with the plan to contain him, so he was probably alive and conscious then. And it's hard to tell since he's so cryptic, but Ahti implies that he's still alive enough feel the problems with the power plant, at least. And the readouts on the control station on top of the power say NSC INTERNAL MOVEMENT DETECTED, even if the actual feeds of him being cuffed and suspended are static.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It would be 100% on-brand for FBC to accept that Northmoore is infected and just manage. "Yeah he's Hiss but containment prevents him from doing any damage or spreading the infection, and power output hasn't dropped. Research is using him for tests"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's pretty much what happened exactly if you listen to Trench's extended hotline call about becoming Director.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It makes for a better story if Northmoor is alive and perpetually suffering

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I like Northmoor’s current status as a commentary on how hard it is to remove entrenched bureaucrats. Just reassigned him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"At the end of the day, a Director's first duty is to keep the lights on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Quinton posted:

I backed up my save files before my restart, so if I fail to get back to similar post-game state by the time the DLC arrives, I can (hopefully) just restore it...

The fact that they don't let you traverse the ashtray maze multiple times in one game is just mean though.

Wait, what?

I went there briefly the other day, found a pair of mods, then left, because I had only just arrived in Research and I wanted to get to a control point before I wandered too far.

Am I locked out of stuff now?