Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TheHan posted:

Hope you liked Friday's joke.

This is one of his finest works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is one of his finest works.

Damning with faint praise

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, that's one of Mookie's favorite cliches.

A pleasant surprise from Mookie!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Don't doxx me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still amazing. He went from daily 8-panel comics to tri-weekly 'full page' comics and every drat day he does less than he did a decade ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's basically just The Beast from the original except with fat sacs instead of worms

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Is this a monster who makes seemingly helpful signs as traps? Neat.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ague Proof posted:

"Hi, I'm the Flesh Horror. Have you seen the Blood Horror around here anywhere? This is her canyon, right?"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Ague Proof posted:

Nah that first panel is him looking at the pagefinder that’s telling him where to go. I do wonder if we’ll go 2 for 2 and avoid the cliche of “oh this monster got a ton of buildup but actually is friendly

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

A pleasant surprise from Mookie!

Still expecting an anticlimax. He also likes the "freakish monster turns out to be a nice person" twist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

His ears are changing position and placement in his hair again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I'm going to say the monster is friendly and makes the signs.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Something feels off about the eyeballs. Can't quite put my finger on what.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YF-23 posted:

Something feels off about the eyeballs. Can't quite put my finger on what.

On top of literally everything else being wrong, it’s not actually looking at Snout. It’s got a thousand-yard stare going on.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't see how an arrow going around a corner corresponds to the page being on top of a spike high above Snout but directly in front of him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just realised it looks like a giant dick and balls.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Please seek a doctor

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hey now, I didn't say MY dick and balls.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Please tell your sexual partners to seek a doctor

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just was thinking that as stupid as Snout's character design is, at least he doesn't have the stupid asymmetrical crap Bort had... And then I realized his right arm is hairy and his left arm is scaly. UGH.

Also Mookie messed up and swapped his arms on one panel on this page: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/september-16-2019/

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I know people have pointed out the obvious already, but how the hell is a 2d piece of paper supposed to help you navigate in 3d in a gorge? The arrow pointed "forward" with a weird bend on it. Good thing Snout was holding it at the exact right angle for it to point to the MacGuffin. Wait. That means he was already looking right at the page, but needed the pagemaster to... remind him he was looking at it? This is like when you're 12 and your gm says "ok, so you arrive at the goblin camp" because everyone wants to get to the good stuff and fast forward through walking, except it's with everything all the time. Mild edge.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know people have pointed out the obvious already, but how the hell is a 2d piece of paper supposed to help you navigate in 3d in a gorge?

Since the paper can change its image at any time, if the paper was a more skilled artist, it could provide a realtime perspective drawing that pointed in the direction he needed to go, or include an illustration of the place he should be looking at, or draw a simple map to the next page.

For a spell intended to find lost pages, it's not doing a very good job at it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah a piece of paper that showed a 3d arrow that you could rotate the paper to see where it's pointing exactly would function as a powerful compass. But a rotated return/enter key symbol is apparently the best we can expect.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Pretty sure Mookie just drew the line of motion looking at the panel. Your eyes go left, then up as you follow the panel where Snout sees the page. So that's what he drew.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 26, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I'll interpret these last two comics as
"So where is the page?"
"Go right into this canyon that you're coincidentally standing next to"
[...]
"So where is the page?"
"Look right at this rocky outcrop that you're coincidentally standing next to"

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

maltesh posted:

Since the paper can change its image at any time, if the paper was a more skilled artist, it could provide a realtime perspective drawing that pointed in the direction he needed to go, or include an illustration of the place he should be looking at, or draw a simple map to the next page.

For a spell intended to find lost pages, it's not doing a very good job at it.

Or even just say, "look up, and too the right a bit."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
A lot of Mookie's writing issues stem from never editing or having an editor. I'm sure he'd have hit at least one of these ideas in post, but never got beyond "The paper tells him where to look"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still expecting an anticlimax. He also likes the "freakish monster turns out to be a nice person" twist.

Ague Proof posted:

I'm going to say the monster is friendly and makes the signs.

Well if it was he sure isn't gonna be now:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

TheHan posted:

A lot of Mookie's writing issues stem from never editing or having an editor. I'm sure he'd have hit at least one of these ideas in post, but never got beyond "The paper tells him where to look"

Well if it was he sure isn't gonna be now:

Im happy our main character learned nothing from this encounter and was undeservedly and unwittingly awarded a small victory.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Im happy our main character learned nothing from this encounter and was undeservedly and unwittingly awarded a small victory.

How has Snout managed to survive in an area that's known to be inhabited by screaming awful gribblies? Wouldn't something like that have snuck up on someone so utterly oblivious (even before factoring in their impairment)?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the tail boner flipping the dick mutant the bird.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tesseraction posted:

I'm the tail boner flipping the dick mutant the bird.

oh hey, it's heading upwards again

cannot wait for literal ponytail

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ahh. The horrible crap monster was actually comically ineffective. I wonder where Mookie ever came up with such an original idea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We're nearing the end of September and he's still not gone to daily comics. I probably wouldn't notice or care so much if he wasn't moving at such a GLACIAL PACE. So far this week he's travelled past some signs while looking nervous, stared at some paper, and climbed some spikes.

I know you can abstractly summarise any scene into sounding boring but what more can you add to make this interesting? Blood Horror Canyon has so far been "nothing happens valley" with some sparse background until the flying spaghetti monster's ground-based great-grandson popped up and immediately got owned by coincidence.

It would have been way more effective for him to have had reacting to the signs and sneaking past even the corpses of people who've not heeded the warnings prior, but again no, it's just a protagonist effortlessly gliding through the endless white void (with some cardboard cut-outs in the in the background this week!) with a textual demand we see that it's 2spoopy.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

We're nearing the end of September and
It would have been way more effective for...

Come now Tess, you have been following this long enough that you should recognize Mookies inability to build narrative tension.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also note the monster is a formless weird thing because that means Mookie doesn't have to attempt any sort of anatomy and it doesn't matter how inconsistent he is from page to page. Like the flying spaghetti monster final boss of DD and the ball made of small balls.

Again, this whole arc is inspired by him playing No Man's Sky (with a dash of Bayonetta). So much in the visuals here is cribbed from that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hope you liked Friday's joke.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Fragile Tooth Canyon

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Goddamn Mookie is trying to bore us to death. I don't understand how you can be this bad at pacing a serialized update in 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he's been out of practice for a decade.

except he spent that decade working on another comic.

oh.

well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

On this page we don't even get a single panel where we can see the monster is threatening him before being neutralized. How exciting.