Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mirage posted:

Heroes have to be licensed, so there may be some set standards. "Don't put 'Murder' in your hero name" seems like a reasonable thing to ask.

Though that sequence did make it appear that at least the initial obstacle is the approval of their peers.

One of the first heroes we see in the series is a guy named Death Arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GuyUpNorth posted:

This makes me ask if hero names even need formal approval. Lord Explosion Murder might not be the most heroic and PR-friendly name but it's what Bakugo chose :colbert:

Baron Von Explodokill is a better name anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhonne posted:

One of the first heroes we see in the series is a guy named Death Arms.
New theory, Bakugo is going to challenge him in ritual combat for the right to steal his name.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah yes the only other way Horikoshi can flex his knowledge of obscure Western nerd media is if Bakugo issues a batchall for the name

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Where did Kacchan even come from? Was there an origin for it or was it just Deku being a weird, awkward dork?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's just a cute nickname Deku called him when they were kids, a shortening of Katsuki chan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bakugo's first name is Katsuki. Kacchan is just Ka from his name and the cutesy, childish honorific "chan". That Deku keeps using it now that he's an angry teenage boy is part of why it pissed off Bakugo to keep hearing it still.

The other part is that it was Deku, specifically.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I fully believe that Izuku still using "Kacchan" is 80% genuine and 20% him being passive-aggressive.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kaminari calls him Kacchan now too.

Bakugou never really seems to mind the nickname that much honestly. For as mad as he usually is at Deku in general, I don't think I've ever actually seen him tell him or anyone else to stop calling him that.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I don't think it's necessarily that diminutive

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I fully believe that Izuku still using "Kacchan" is 80% genuine and 20% him being passive-aggressive.

Yeah, a big part of Bakugo and Izuku's progress towards being Actual Friends is Izuku getting more comfortable with casually poo poo-talking Bakugo.

This is also why U.A. is so good for him. A whole class of people who don't take him that seriously really keeps his ego in check.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Eej posted:

Ah yes the only other way Horikoshi can flex his knowledge of obscure Western nerd media is if Bakugo issues a batchall for the name

lmao i claim your hero name as isorla

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well bargained and done.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Don't know if this was posted before but gently caress it.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Great cover art to the arc I hated the most

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That’s really cool and I still hope for a MHA x Vigilantes one-shot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

That’s really cool and I still hope for a MHA x Vigilantes one-shot

Obviously the entire cast of Vigilantes was killed before current MHA

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drjuggalo posted:

Great cover art to the arc I hated the most
Who could hate Captain Celebrity?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Who could hate Captain Celebrity?

No that was wonderful I meant A plot failson with the questionable girlfriend and B plot k-on episode

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Both arcs are good

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Obviously the entire cast of Vigilantes was killed before current MHA

That doesn't make sense, we know Aizawa and company are alive.

We uhh...we have enough reasons to believe Shirakumo isn't though. At the very least, something bad will happen to him. This arc is going to end up depressing, isn't it?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want a Vigilantes anime, or at least some kind of OVA at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

That doesn't make sense, we know Aizawa and company are alive.

We uhh...we have enough reasons to believe Shirakumo isn't though. At the very least, something bad will happen to him. This arc is going to end up depressing, isn't it?

Sorry I meant the main cast, not the cameo heroes.

I'm only half-joking, I genuinely expect them to get rightly hosed up at some point. :smith:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry I meant the main cast, not the cameo heroes.

I'm only half-joking, I genuinely expect them to get rightly hosed up at some point. :smith:

The narration at the end of the last arc made it sounds like some villains were going to come after Koichi soon. I have a feeling Overclock is going to target him soon because of his connection to Knuckleduster(O'Clock). That's probably going to lead to some bad times for poor Hauler.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

I want a Vigilantes anime, or at least some kind of OVA at some point.

I feel this will become genuinely critical soon since both series are intersecting more lately, like Present Mic mentioning Shirakumo to Aizawa in the main series, and then Vigilantes showing the backstory with him, or before that, Trigger being used in the main story. It's clear that Vigilantes has gained far more importance than we expected, and likely than it was originally meant to have.

Also it'd be rather useful if the anime catches up to the manga, instead of going years with nothing, adapt Vigilantes instead.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel this will become genuinely critical soon since both series are intersecting more lately, like Present Mic mentioning Shirakumo to Aizawa in the main series, and then Vigilantes showing the backstory with him, or before that, Trigger being used in the main story. It's clear that Vigilantes has gained far more importance than we expected, and likely than it was originally meant to have.

Also it'd be rather useful if the anime catches up to the manga, instead of going years with nothing, adapt Vigilantes instead.

I’ve always thought that vigilantes has something to do with the creation of nomu as a personal pet theory.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

No that was wonderful I meant A plot failson with the questionable girlfriend and B plot k-on episode

The Gentle arc owned because it was like watching MHA's version of Logan Paul get dumpstered.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

The Gentle arc owned because it was like watching MHA's version of Logan Paul get dumpstered.

I tolerated it up until hacker sailor chibi revealed and used her quirk and then i REALLY hated it, but Mirio phasing through a bush with his rear end salvaged some of the arc for me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

I tolerated it up until hacker sailor chibi revealed and used her quirk and then i REALLY hated it, but Mirio phasing through a bush with his rear end salvaged some of the arc for me

You have no taste. Gentle and La Brava were super entertaining.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wonder if Recovery Girl is so small because she's a cartoon old person or if she's the same body type as Mineta and La Brava.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It was nice to see an arc with low stakes for once, and where Deku could just do his own thing. No need for rescuing, or for breaking his body into pieces. Just a good boy doing a good think to make a little girl smile.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Viridiant posted:

I wonder if Recovery Girl is so small because she's a cartoon old person or if she's the same body type as Mineta and La Brava.

It could be a bit of both!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I wanna hear Jiro sing!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr. Fowl posted:

It could be a bit of both!

I thought we’d seen young recovery girl alongside young Gran Torino and they were both similar to Nana in height but maybe I’m making that up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Deku VS Gentle chase-fight (just the fight, not counting story weight) is infinitely better than any fight before or after it. Horikoshi had a lot of fun with it and the midair stuff is way cooler than the slugfests.

Maybe, MAYBE, Deku and Bakugo VS All Might comes close. Or Team Tsuyu VS Team Some Class B Students

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Imagine not liking this

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Aizawa's daughter rules.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only mha arc I was pretty bored by was the joint training arc because it had no real stakes until the end

La Brava and Gentle were a lot of fun to me, and the fight was pretty good. The concert is gonna be interesting- Jirou's Japanese voice actor has singing experience.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Honestly the Gentle arc is probably the best in the series to this point imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

kidcoelacanth posted:

Honestly the Gentle arc is probably the best in the series to this point imo

that is an absolutely wild claim